• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 11:23
CEST 17:23
KST 00:23
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror6[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
Rollback Netcode in Brood War645.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 202621Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)78
StarCraft 2
General
5.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 2026 [Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)
Tourneys
RSL 2026 Offline Finals LCQ Sign-Ups $3,500 WardiTV Not-Summer Championship ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) ISSL (IntoTheTV x SOOP SC2 League): Premier
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
ChatGPT cheats at StarSkirmish SCAI tournament Sagi.gg Launcher Released Rollback Netcode in Brood War BW General Discussion TL Sidebar missing streams
Tourneys
[Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Semifinal A [ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Simple Questions, Simple Answers Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do?
Other Games
General Games
Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25!
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
[Manga] One Piece Movie Discussion! Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread TeamLiquid Health and Fitness Initiative For 2023 MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 7619 users

TL Mafia 2 [GG] - Page 3

Forum Index > TL Mafia
Post a Reply
Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All
Empyrean
Profile Blog Joined September 2004
17082 Posts
March 19 2008 00:07 GMT
#799
To expand upon Dark.Carnival's post, I made some post before I went to sleep, then after woke up, I revealed my detective and ran for mayor. Either way, it would be hours (seven/eight+) before I could make a response, so I had to ensure my candidacy got noticed.

Check timestamps to confirm my activity.
Moderator
Empyrean
Profile Blog Joined September 2004
17082 Posts
Last Edited: 2008-03-19 00:10:01
March 19 2008 00:08 GMT
#800
On March 19 2008 09:07 Ace wrote:
If any Mafia member false claims they'd be caught red handed fast because this plan does not use 1 person as the word of trust - it uses several with a self checking scheme.


Good point, the only way for the mafia to get around it is to have some mafia roleplay bodyguards and others roleplay detectives.

EDIT: Going to be gone for about an hour.
Moderator
Empyrean
Profile Blog Joined September 2004
17082 Posts
March 19 2008 00:12 GMT
#807
On March 19 2008 09:10 Ghar wrote:
What Ace meant was the real bodyguards would see it strange that they got a PM from Chuiu telling them they're bodyguard, but not from the mayor who might have left them out when PMing the bodyguards about each other.

Ace's plan = Bodyguard gets 2 PMs, 1 from Chuiu, and 1 from the Mayor telling him who the other bodyguards are. The number has to add up, anybody guard that didn't get a PM from the mayor, stands up and speaks out.


Read the above post. Every single bodyguard does get a PM from the mayor.

And I'm really going to be gone.
Moderator
Empyrean
Profile Blog Joined September 2004
17082 Posts
March 19 2008 00:18 GMT
#811
The problem is, if I'm not elected anything, the town'll lose a detective. Is that a risk people are willing to take? I'm only revealing my role because it's the only 100% guaranteed method I have of ensuring a townie mayor.
Moderator
Empyrean
Profile Blog Joined September 2004
17082 Posts
March 19 2008 00:57 GMT
#843
Well even if they're dead, if town wins, they do too.
Moderator
Empyrean
Profile Blog Joined September 2004
17082 Posts
March 19 2008 01:19 GMT
#862
On March 19 2008 10:16 qrs wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 19 2008 09:58 CDRdude wrote:
After thinking this through, I have come to the conclusion that there is no flaw.
+ Show Spoiler [Why there is no flaw] +

Okay. In this example, we will have 7 bodyguards, 1 mayor, 20 mafia, and a bunch of other people who aren't important, we can call them townies.

If the mayor is mafia, and is smart, he will do this:
Send a PM to:
Bodyguard 1
Mafia 1
Mafia 2
.
.
.
Mafia 6

As far as the legitimate bodyguard can tell, this is legit. The mafia will obviously claim to be bodyguards, and Bodyguard 1 won't know better.

Send a PM to:
Bodyguard 2
Mafia 1
Mafia 2
.
.
.
Mafia 6

Again, the real bodyguard can't tell the difference.

PM3:
Mafia 1
Mafia 2
.
.
.
Mafia 6

You should be getting the point by now. If you aren't, you probably don't deserve to be mayor.

The mafia mayor can do this a total of seven times, so that each bodyguard receives a PM with 6 other people on it. Each of those people insist that they are bodyguards, the real bodyguards won't know the difference, and no real bodyguard will be left out. Since no real bodyguard will be left out, nobody will stand out to say that they didn't receive a PM.

This can't last forever, but it can do a lot of damage. One of two things will happen; either a bodyguard will stand out, according to qrs' plan. The other (real) bodyguards will recognize him as not being in their group, and they'll cry out. Confusion ensues, but people will soon realize that the mayor is a mafioso. However, this takes a bit of time, and the mafia gets a good bit of damage in. BUT---once the real situation is discovered, mafia's 1-6 lives are forfeit. Net gain for the town. The mafia could avoid some of this by mixing in more bodyguards to the PM's, but even then it's a loss for the mafia, gain for the town.

The other possibility is if no bodyguard stands out (the mayor ignores qrs' plan) and a fake detective proclaims that the mayor is innocent. That's nice. However, that also assumes that no other detective checked on the mayor, which is unlikely to happen. Soon, the truth will come out, and the bodyguards will realize that the others in the message are fakes, and can be lynched/mad hatted/killed during the night/permabanned or whatever. End result: town is ahead. This will be a bit bloody, but about equal numbers of mafia and town will die here, so that's still +town.


How to avoid all the mess: Basically, qrs' plan is needed. A bodyguard has to step forward. All the real bodyguards will know whether or not he was included in the PM to them, so you don't have to confirm anything. Of course, that bodyguard will probably be gunned down during the night, but whatever, sucks for him.
Much as I hate to admit it, I believe my plan is flawed. As per Kau's post, a Mafia can identify himself as a bodyguard, and all the bodyguards will believe he is telling the truth. The Bodyguard plan is not failsafe after all. Unless someone comes up with something new, we will have to waste some detective power as Ghar has been saying.


Hell, if I don't get to be the mayor/pardoner, I'll be the sacrifice. At least it'll benefit the town since I'll die if I don't the the positions anyway.
Moderator
Empyrean
Profile Blog Joined September 2004
17082 Posts
March 19 2008 02:35 GMT
#886
On March 19 2008 11:26 BlindAlbino wrote:
Well hopefully we can get a good mayor/pardoner this time around. Tracil was completely useless last game, and the whole lynching FS thing was a joke. If we are gonna elect someone, has to be someone that people actually like so we dont get another bandwagon lynch.

I vote Ace for Mayor.


Because this is the right thread in which to vote!
Moderator
Empyrean
Profile Blog Joined September 2004
17082 Posts
March 19 2008 03:11 GMT
#901
On March 19 2008 12:07 JeeJee wrote:
people who vote for empyrean crack me up. if he's legit, the best he can do for us is verify the mayor then get shot by mafia, because there's no reason to vote for him at all, since saboteur will juts be laughin at us (realize that he had nobody to roleblock until empyrean went "im dt lulz!") if we elect him


I PM'd Ace something. Don't worry.
Moderator
Empyrean
Profile Blog Joined September 2004
17082 Posts
March 19 2008 03:17 GMT
#906
On March 19 2008 12:16 Ace wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 19 2008 12:11 Empyrean wrote:
On March 19 2008 12:07 JeeJee wrote:
people who vote for empyrean crack me up. if he's legit, the best he can do for us is verify the mayor then get shot by mafia, because there's no reason to vote for him at all, since saboteur will juts be laughin at us (realize that he had nobody to roleblock until empyrean went "im dt lulz!") if we elect him


I PM'd Ace something. Don't worry.


I got your PM, I'll respond later when I'm back from going out.



I PM'd you an additional idea as well. I have numerous others.

I'm going to sleep now, and I'll respond in about seven hours. I'm basically trying to prove that I'm not a completely tardass.
Moderator
Empyrean
Profile Blog Joined September 2004
17082 Posts
March 19 2008 10:54 GMT
#999
On March 19 2008 18:04 ahrara_ wrote:
[b]However, there's the added bonus that randombum is less likely to be a mafia ploy because he announced his campaign before the game started, whereas Empyrean's role claiming makes him suspect.


Actually, I announced my campaign before the game started as well. I stated that I would be running for mayor no matter what.
Moderator
Empyrean
Profile Blog Joined September 2004
17082 Posts
March 19 2008 19:45 GMT
#1076
On March 20 2008 04:34 Wysp wrote:
Figuring out for sure if Empyrean is mafia is fairly important. If he is it will be easy to figure out atleast where to look for a few more members.


Easy to solve. Get a (or some) detectives to investigate me, and report their findings directly to Ace.
Moderator
Empyrean
Profile Blog Joined September 2004
17082 Posts
March 19 2008 19:58 GMT
#1081
On March 20 2008 04:55 BlindAlbino wrote:
ace that seems very flawed. How will you know the other detectives besides empyrean is telling the truth? they would have to reveal themselves for this to happen.


First they investigate Ace, and one detective will probably publicly announce Ace's innocence. Then they'll just PM Ace. Or they can immediately PM Ace and assume he's town, while other detectives confirm his role. If he's town, they'll be silent. If he's mafia, they'll sound the alarms.

And finally, if I do die this night, I'd like to just post one thing after my death.
Moderator
Empyrean
Profile Blog Joined September 2004
17082 Posts
March 19 2008 20:00 GMT
#1082
nemY: I have a feeling you're mafia, but obviously I can't really accuse you of anything at the moment. You know why? Because I started the same thing you're trying to do last game.

After L2W failed in his protection of alventenie, I started the whole "he revealed his role, but he's not actually paramedic!" bandwagon that got him lynched.

So at the moment, shut up and watch the game unfold.
Moderator
Empyrean
Profile Blog Joined September 2004
17082 Posts
March 19 2008 22:08 GMT
#1121
On March 20 2008 07:06 Live2Win wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 20 2008 05:00 Empyrean wrote:
nemY: I have a feeling you're mafia, but obviously I can't really accuse you of anything at the moment. You know why? Because I started the same thing you're trying to do last game.

After L2W failed in his protection of alventenie, I started the whole "he revealed his role, but he's not actually paramedic!" bandwagon that got him lynched.

So at the moment, shut up and watch the game unfold.

ORLY?!

*evil smirk*

+ Show Spoiler +

(btw I'm not playing so plz don't take this post seriously)


Yeah sorry L2W

I still heart you :D

And when'll we know the target of the mayor's lynch? >:O
Moderator
Empyrean
Profile Blog Joined September 2004
17082 Posts
March 19 2008 22:16 GMT
#1125
You mean *when you get Mayor.
Moderator
Empyrean
Profile Blog Joined September 2004
17082 Posts
March 20 2008 01:53 GMT
#1188
Confession.

Well it looks like I'm obviously not going to get an elected position.

I'm not a detective. I'm plain townie. You can get a detective or someone to check it out :/

Now. The only reason I posted that I was detective was to try and get the mayoral/pardoner spot, since the only way I will ever be sure (remember, I can't actually check people's roles) that we have a townie-aligned mayor/pardoner is if I were to be in office. So yes, I suppose it was a selfish move, but you'll have to believe me when I say that it was the best thing I could personally have done for the town, since I am a definite townie. I couldn't wait for the off-chance that someone else take the mayoral position and end up being a mafioso.

So you'll understand why I tried to force the town's hand.

And since I've revealed my true role, it's up to the mafia to decide if they want to waste their Suicide Bomber(s?) on a plain townie who's not likely to receive paramedic protection. Furthermore, it solves the problem of the saboteur issue. Why sabotage someone's "abilities" when they actually have none? All town detectives are at the moment unknown, and Ace's plan should proceed without impediment.
Moderator
Empyrean
Profile Blog Joined September 2004
17082 Posts
March 20 2008 01:55 GMT
#1189
Oh: one more thing since I don't want to edit:

Detectives should investigate Ace's role. If he is townie, then they will silently PM their findings to him. If Ace is mafia, then they will blow Ace's cover. After the detective's death (with a likely suicide bomber use?), we'll know for sure, then we can lynch a potential-mafia Ace later.

But I'm hoping Ace is townie.

Also, when detectives check anyone else's role, if they could report it to Ace so that they don't reveal their cover. Ace will publicly state the detectives' findings.
Moderator
Empyrean
Profile Blog Joined September 2004
17082 Posts
March 20 2008 01:58 GMT
#1192
On March 20 2008 10:56 BlindAlbino wrote:
how can we even be sure your a townie at this point. this is ridiculous. making the game harder for us then it needs to be


With the detectives. Once they find out I'm plain townie, they'll report it to Ace who will make that information known.
Moderator
Empyrean
Profile Blog Joined September 2004
17082 Posts
March 20 2008 02:09 GMT
#1198
On March 20 2008 11:02 GeneralStan wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 20 2008 11:01 Mynock wrote:
Bah, another horrible move by Empyrean (assuming he is what he says he is). I was considering the chance that Emp was a townie, in which case what he was doing would have made some sense. First, he could draw the saboteur's ability away from the real roles, second, he might have wasted some of the mafia's killing power or even a suicide bomber.

Now, if he's indeed a townie he's made another crucial mistake, instead of confusing the mafia (and possibly sacrificing himself) he's confusing the town even further.

This is getting really weird now. But for now, I want to hear what others think tho.


You just confused me :\ If he was a vanilla townie then we could have been wasting mafia roles, but they might have realized and ignored Emp.

Or Emp really is a detective and he's trying to now avert attention from himself.


Heh. Think about it for a second - why would I make such a move to announce that I am detective so early on in the game? My only reason for doing so was to ensure a townie mayor. I've also confused some mafia, hopefully. If they still think I'm detective, they run the risk of wasting both their sabotage or their suicide bomber. If they think I'm vanilla townie, then, well, nothing special happens. All our detectives'll still be secret and safe.

Anyway, if you guys really want to see my role, you should just wait for Ace to announce the detectives' results.
Moderator
Empyrean
Profile Blog Joined September 2004
17082 Posts
Last Edited: 2008-03-20 02:15:45
March 20 2008 02:10 GMT
#1200
Oh: I only revealed my real role because nemY and friends got the whole "LET'S LYNCH EMPYREAN LOLOLO" bandwagon going.

The only real point of vanilla townies is to vote to lynch mafias and try and protect the real town special roles so they can win the game. Basically, my abandonment of my initial plan (to stir up mafia confusion - should we use a suicide bomber/saboteur?) was because you guys are trying to start the whole lynching bandwagon.

[b]Just wait for Ace to confirm (via detective) that I'm vanilla town.
Moderator
Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Patches Events
00:00
Patch Clash S1 Special #1
RotterdaM401
Liquipedia
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
RotterdaM 401
Reynor 231
ByuN 185
TKL 130
Railgan 78
Codebar 59
BRAT_OK 25
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 59046
Bisu 2907
Calm 1208
FanTaSy 1028
Stork 838
Rush 401
hero 392
firebathero 198
Snow 129
Sharp 86
[ Show more ]
Free 72
Mind 65
ToSsGirL 39
Trap 38
Pusan 37
Sexy 29
Bale 27
Mong 26
Hm[arnc] 20
soO 20
Terrorterran 20
Rock 18
Aegong 18
HiyA 14
Sacsri 9
Shine 8
Noble 8
scan(afreeca) 8
IntoTheRainbow 7
Dota 2
Gorgc8545
Dendi1118
Counter-Strike
fl0m4537
Super Smash Bros
Mew2King99
Other Games
singsing2223
Liquid`RaSZi1474
B2W.Neo704
olofmeister543
Beastyqt493
Mlord470
Khaldor445
KnowMe314
Hui .222
crisheroes172
Chillindude66
Organizations
Other Games
BasetradeTV260
[ Show 13 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• FT.aCt)Sony5
• niya90s 3
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• WagamamaTV581
League of Legends
• Nemesis3513
Counter-Strike
• C_a_k_e 1750
Upcoming Events
BSL Open Qualifier
3h 38m
BSL Open Qualifier
3h 38m
OSC
7h 38m
Replay Cast
7h 38m
OSC
20h 38m
WardiTV Weekly
1d 19h
PiGosaur Cup
2 days
Kung Fu Cup
2 days
The PondCast
3 days
Online Event
4 days
[ Show More ]
Korean StarCraft League
5 days
Afreeca Starleague
5 days
Rush vs Soulkey
CranKy Ducklings
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
HCC Season 3
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.