• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 08:24
CEST 14:24
KST 21:24
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double1Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon103
StarCraft 2
General
Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double Balance hotfix patch 5.0.16b (July 16) StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon How do you feel about the StarCraft shooter announcement at BlizzCon 2026? Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple
Tourneys
2026 GSTL Grand Finals ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament Master Swan Open (Global Bronze-Master 2) Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20)
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
Bot on ladder [ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach PLAYzone Challenge - open offline tour in Prague an AI researcher's take on the ladder bot BGH Auto Balance -> http://bghmmr.eu/
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 1
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero Nintendo Switch Thread EVE Corporation
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread All you football fans (soccer)!
Fan Clubs
MarineLorD Fan Club The Creator Fan Club The ShoWTimE Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
Violent-Cooperative Play and…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8743 users

[H] BitTorrent shutting off my internet

Forum Index > General Forum
Post a Reply
1 2 3 Next All
rpf
Profile Blog Joined January 2007
United States2705 Posts
March 24 2009 20:54 GMT
#1
TL;DR: I downloaded BitTorrent and installed it. Whenever it's running, it'll basically shut my internet off and the only way I can fix it is to unplug my modem and then plug it back in.

My network still says it's active, but I can't connect to anything, have no download or upload rate, and programs like AIM and Skype disconnect. So basically, my computer thinks I have internet, but I don't.

I've tried limiting my download and upload rates with BitTorrent, and that only seemed to help a tiny bit, but my internet still goes down the shitter.

Any ideas?

Oh, and I have Comcast. I'm told that's the problem. ETT?
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." - Sigmund Freud
RaGe
Profile Blog Joined July 2004
Belgium9950 Posts
March 24 2009 20:56 GMT
#2
please upload a screenshot of your problem with facebook in the background
Moderatorsometimes I get intimidated by the size of my right testicle
Grobyc
Profile Blog Joined June 2008
Canada18410 Posts
March 24 2009 20:56 GMT
#3
On March 25 2009 05:56 RaGe wrote:
please upload a screenshot of your problem with facebook in the background

If you watch Godzilla backwards it's about a benevolent lizard who helps rebuild a city and then moonwalks into the ocean.
Divinek
Profile Blog Joined November 2006
Canada4045 Posts
March 24 2009 20:59 GMT
#4
I had that problem before and just had to switch to a different client
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
Oh goodness me, FOX tv where do you get your sight? Can't you keep track, the puck is black. That's why the ice is white.
ShadowDrgn
Profile Blog Joined July 2007
United States2497 Posts
March 24 2009 20:59 GMT
#5
On March 25 2009 05:54 rpf wrote:
I've tried limiting my download and upload rates with BitTorrent, and that only seemed to help a tiny bit, but my internet still goes down the shitter.


So you can somewhat browse websites, stay connected to AIM, etc. when you rate limit? You might want to try limiting the number of connections your BitTorrent client uses to somewhere around 50 per torrent and see if that helps.

I have Comcast and have never had problems with BT.
Of course, you only live one life, and you make all your mistakes, and learn what not to do, and that’s the end of you.
rpf
Profile Blog Joined January 2007
United States2705 Posts
March 24 2009 21:00 GMT
#6
On March 25 2009 05:56 RaGe wrote:
please upload a screenshot of your problem with facebook in the background

Bahaha!

No.
On March 25 2009 05:59 Divinek wrote:
I had that problem before and just had to switch to a different client

Any suggestions?
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." - Sigmund Freud
rpf
Profile Blog Joined January 2007
United States2705 Posts
March 24 2009 21:01 GMT
#7
On March 25 2009 05:59 ShadowDrgn wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 25 2009 05:54 rpf wrote:
I've tried limiting my download and upload rates with BitTorrent, and that only seemed to help a tiny bit, but my internet still goes down the shitter.


So you can somewhat browse websites, stay connected to AIM, etc. when you rate limit? You might want to try limiting the number of connections your BitTorrent client uses to somewhere around 50 per torrent and see if that helps.

I have Comcast and have never had problems with BT.

Nope. Literally, everything craps out. AIM, Skype, and GMail Notifier all disconnect. BitTorrent slows to a crawl, and eventually the upload and download rates hit zero.

My network icon on my taskbar still says I'm connected to the internet, but Firefox can't go anywhere; it will either time out or immediately say there's a problem with my network.
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." - Sigmund Freud
Nytefish
Profile Blog Joined December 2007
United Kingdom4282 Posts
Last Edited: 2009-03-24 21:03:28
March 24 2009 21:03 GMT
#8
Yeah I had that problem.
microtorrent (aka utorrent) works well for me.
Why don't you ask 4chan for help again?
No I'm never serious.
statix
Profile Blog Joined October 2004
United States1760 Posts
March 24 2009 21:04 GMT
#9
Do you have starcraft open while? I was having the same problem when using bittorrent but only when I would have starcraft open for some reason. I forwarded my ports and the problem stopped... :shrug:
SCC-Caliban
pheer
Profile Blog Joined July 2004
5403 Posts
March 24 2009 21:05 GMT
#10
Comcast has measures in place to prevent torrenting. You need to get utorrent and enable protocol encryption. Google it.
Moderator
rpf
Profile Blog Joined January 2007
United States2705 Posts
March 24 2009 21:05 GMT
#11
On March 25 2009 06:03 Nytefish wrote:
Yeah I had that problem.
microtorrent (aka utorrent) works well for me.
Why don't you ask 4chan for help again?

The thread 404'ed before I could get my internet back up to refresh it. :\
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." - Sigmund Freud
Naib
Profile Blog Joined November 2004
Hungary4952 Posts
Last Edited: 2009-03-24 21:06:18
March 24 2009 21:05 GMT
#12
On March 25 2009 06:05 pheer wrote:
Comcast has measures in place to prevent torrenting. You need to get utorrent and enable protocol encryption. Google it.


Yes, uTorrent is an infinitely better client. Go for it.

Edit: Welcome back rpf. Some hilarity please
Complete the cycle!
fishyjoes
Profile Blog Joined October 2007
Germany644 Posts
March 24 2009 21:06 GMT
#13
I'm using uTorrent and i got a similar problem. When it's downloading I can hardly do anything else. And it only downloading with about 40-100kb/sec.
Sometimes this continues even when i close the program. I have to reset my router then to make my internet run smooth again...
infinite fun: http://dagobah.biz/flash/loituma.swf
irishash
Profile Joined November 2008
United States285 Posts
March 24 2009 21:08 GMT
#14
are you using the official bit torrent client? i've heard nothing but problems from the people that have used that. i used bitcomet and now utorrent, heard some fishy things about bitcomet so i switched
rpf
Profile Blog Joined January 2007
United States2705 Posts
March 24 2009 21:08 GMT
#15
On March 25 2009 06:05 pheer wrote:
Comcast has measures in place to prevent torrenting. You need to get utorrent and enable protocol encryption. Google it.

I have protocol encryption enabled with BitTorrent. That won't do it?
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." - Sigmund Freud
Patriot.dlk
Profile Blog Joined October 2004
Sweden5462 Posts
March 24 2009 21:10 GMT
#16
BitTorrent is a really good client but it's crap compared to Utorrent =) I'm sure that will fix your problem

rpf
Profile Blog Joined January 2007
United States2705 Posts
March 24 2009 21:11 GMT
#17
On March 25 2009 06:06 fishyjoes wrote:
I'm using uTorrent and i got a similar problem. When it's downloading I can hardly do anything else. And it only downloading with about 40-100kb/sec.
Sometimes this continues even when i close the program. I have to reset my router then to make my internet run smooth again...

I don't know why that happens, but everyone I know personally has told me using torrents rapes their connection. I just turn it on to download overnight; I won't have it on while I'm gaming or using the internet.
On March 25 2009 06:08 irishash wrote:
are you using the official bit torrent client? i've heard nothing but problems from the people that have used that. i used bitcomet and now utorrent, heard some fishy things about bitcomet so i switched

I was, but I downloaded uTorrent, and uh, it looks exactly the same. But my internet still works, so whatever.
On March 25 2009 06:05 Naib wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 25 2009 06:05 pheer wrote:
Comcast has measures in place to prevent torrenting. You need to get utorrent and enable protocol encryption. Google it.


Yes, uTorrent is an infinitely better client. Go for it.

Edit: Welcome back rpf. Some hilarity please

Hah, thanks. It shouldn't be long before some troll comes along to make the some old, tired remarks. Just be patient.

F5F5F5...
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." - Sigmund Freud
BuGzlToOnl
Profile Blog Joined November 2006
United States5918 Posts
March 24 2009 21:12 GMT
#18
Woah, you back...
If you want to make God laugh, tell Him your plans.
rpf
Profile Blog Joined January 2007
United States2705 Posts
March 24 2009 21:13 GMT
#19
On March 25 2009 06:10 Patriot.dlk wrote:
BitTorrent is a really good client but it's crap compared to Utorrent =) I'm sure that will fix your problem


So far so good. uTorrent is downloading and uploading stuff faster than BitTorrent did, and I can still use the internet.

By now, BitTorrent would have screwed something up.
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." - Sigmund Freud
rpf
Profile Blog Joined January 2007
United States2705 Posts
March 24 2009 21:14 GMT
#20
On March 25 2009 06:12 BuGzlToOnl wrote:
Woah, you back...

zomghi~

So why are these programs basically identical? Even uTorrent's options menu has BitTorrent in it.
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." - Sigmund Freud
1 2 3 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
WardiTV Weekly
11:00
WardiTV Mondays #106
IntoTheiNu 1009
WardiTV538
OGKoka 261
Rex147
Liquipedia
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
Lowko386
mouzHeroMarine 328
OGKoka 237
Rex 145
ProTech136
StarCraft: Brood War
Bisu 2174
Larva 1495
Horang2 1444
Shuttle 986
EffOrt 702
BeSt 514
Soma 495
Mini 279
Hyuk 255
Stork 202
[ Show more ]
Light 186
ZerO 184
Rush 126
ggaemo 125
Zeus 120
Killer 83
Barracks 71
Hyun 69
Sea.KH 46
ToSsGirL 30
Shinee 28
Bale 27
Yoon 25
Mong 24
PianO 20
Aegong 19
Shine 17
Sexy 15
sorry 15
ajuk12(nOOB) 15
soO 14
Sacsri 14
zelot 12
Noble 10
HiyA 10
Icarus 6
Dota 2
Dendi1690
qojqva762
BananaSlamJamma177
LuMiX1
League of Legends
KnowMe34
Counter-Strike
x6flipin429
Heroes of the Storm
crisheroes272
Other Games
singsing2165
olofmeister1693
B2W.Neo534
XaKoH 228
Sick224
Pyrionflax200
hiko186
ArmadaUGS74
Mew2King47
ZerO(Twitch)4
Organizations
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream558
StarCraft: Brood War
lovetv 11
[ Show 12 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Berry_CruncH302
• StrangeGG 27
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
League of Legends
• Jankos2087
Other Games
• WagamamaTV209
Upcoming Events
Monday Night Weeklies
3h 36m
Sparkling Tuna Cup
21h 36m
Afreeca Starleague
21h 36m
Leta vs Soulkey
PiGosaur Cup
1d 11h
Kung Fu Cup
1d 22h
The PondCast
2 days
Replay Cast
3 days
CranKy Ducklings
4 days
Online Event
4 days
FEL
5 days
[ Show More ]
BSL: Ladder Tournament
5 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
WardiTV Weekly
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-27
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual
Stake Ranked Episode 3

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.