• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 22:52
CEST 04:52
KST 11:52
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon111
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double Recent Patches and the Future Stellar Fest 1 Replay Pack Balance hotfix patch 5.0.16b (July 16)
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) 2026 GSTL Grand Finals SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ] ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
a Announcement on the JEDI Ringing Official StarCraft website teases new content ahead of BlizzCon? Bot on ladder Where can I find Flash replays that work? BW General Discussion
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero Nintendo Switch Thread EVE Corporation
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine All you football fans (soccer)! Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
MarineLorD Fan Club The Creator Fan Club The ShoWTimE Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
Violent-Cooperative Play and…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 7313 users

[H] Screen resolution survey

Forum Index > General Forum
Post a Reply
Normal
Spartan
Profile Blog Joined July 2005
United States2030 Posts
Last Edited: 2009-02-12 04:37:11
February 11 2009 22:54 GMT
#1
I'm trying to gather some numbers for a survey and I hope you all can take the 2 seconds to vote. I'm investigating trends in screen resolutions among computer enthusiasts and gamers. Yes this survey is pretty common and can be Googled, but the numbers one would find are for the general population and not my target audience. So please participate if you will.

Step 1: Visit this site (no it isn't mine despite what half of TL may think) and find out your screen resolution..
http://whatismyscreenresolution.com/

Step 2: Cast your vote on the following poll..
[image loading]

Poll: Screen resolutions for 2009
(Vote): 800 x 600 or smaller (square)
(Vote): 1024 x 768 (square)
(Vote): 1280 x 1024/960/800
(Vote): 1440 x 900 (widescreen)
(Vote): 1600 x 1200 or larger (square)

Yea I did a search through the forums and found these threads..
2007: http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=58690
2004: http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=18236

Bonus..
[image loading]

Poll: Fair that SC2 has widescreen support?
(Vote): Yes
(Vote): No

Edit.. (another poll)
[image loading]

Poll: Surf the internet with browser maximized?
(Vote): Yes
(Vote): No
(Vote):
# http://nkspartan.com (web engineer)
# TL member since July 2005; CEO of Vile Gaming; President of Team Vile
Chuiu
Profile Blog Joined June 2003
3470 Posts
February 11 2009 23:01 GMT
#2
1920x1080 is mine.
♞
Mikilatov
Profile Blog Joined May 2008
United States3897 Posts
February 11 2009 23:02 GMT
#3
1680x1050, here.
♥ I used to lasso the shit out of your tournaments =( ♥ | Much is my hero. | zizi yO~ | Be Nice, TL.
Durak
Profile Blog Joined January 2008
Canada3685 Posts
February 11 2009 23:03 GMT
#4
On February 12 2009 08:02 Mikilatov wrote:
1680x1050, here.


Same. This is a really common resolution so I'm not sure why it isn't in the poll.
Racenilatr
Profile Blog Joined August 2008
United States2756 Posts
February 11 2009 23:05 GMT
#5
On February 12 2009 08:02 Mikilatov wrote:
1680x1050, here.

same....ya this should be in the pole instead of 1600 1200
aseq
Profile Joined January 2003
Netherlands4019 Posts
February 11 2009 23:11 GMT
#6
1920 x 1200. it's also not in there...
XoXiDe
Profile Joined September 2006
United States620 Posts
February 11 2009 23:19 GMT
#7
On February 12 2009 08:03 Durak wrote:
Show nested quote +
On February 12 2009 08:02 Mikilatov wrote:
1680x1050, here.


Same. This is a really common resolution so I'm not sure why it isn't in the poll.

TEXAN
liger13
Profile Blog Joined February 2008
United States1060 Posts
February 11 2009 23:19 GMT
#8
their adding widescreen?...
damn.. its going to start turning into who has the bigger monitor/better hardware than ability...
not that i can say much in that department
but i just use 1280*1024 on my main monitor, cause thats the highest it gets...
but i normally drop it to 1024*768 or lower in games because of hardware.
I feel like pwning noobs
IntoTheWow
Profile Blog Joined May 2004
is awesome32282 Posts
February 11 2009 23:21 GMT
#9
1024 x 768 (square) I use this
Moderator<:3-/-<
iloahz
Profile Blog Joined March 2007
United States964 Posts
February 11 2009 23:23 GMT
#10
1366 x 768, not in the option
paper
Profile Blog Joined September 2004
13197 Posts
February 11 2009 23:23 GMT
#11
1920 x 1200
Hates Fun🤔
Theclutch
Profile Joined January 2009
United States119 Posts
February 11 2009 23:24 GMT
#12
On February 12 2009 08:02 Mikilatov wrote:
1680x1050, here.

ZoW
Profile Blog Joined January 2009
United States3983 Posts
February 11 2009 23:25 GMT
#13
My super sexy gosu monitor resolution is 1920 x 1200. And yes, I do think SC2 should have Widescreen support.
the courage to be a lazy bum
Chuiu
Profile Blog Joined June 2003
3470 Posts
February 11 2009 23:31 GMT
#14
On February 12 2009 08:19 liger13 wrote:
their adding widescreen?...

No. They're adding widescreen.
♞
3clipse
Profile Blog Joined September 2008
Canada2555 Posts
February 11 2009 23:44 GMT
#15
1280 x 1024
irishash
Profile Joined November 2008
United States285 Posts
Last Edited: 2009-02-11 23:48:32
February 11 2009 23:47 GMT
#16
2560x1200 dual 20"
LTT
Profile Blog Joined March 2003
Shakuras1095 Posts
February 11 2009 23:48 GMT
#17
2560 x 1600.

I don't think it will make enough of a difference to justify leaving support out. =/
RyanS
Profile Blog Joined January 2009
United States620 Posts
February 11 2009 23:49 GMT
#18
1280x800 (laptop)

And yes it should be fair, I'm sure Blizzard has thought about that when creating the game and make it equal map vision for every resolution.
renegade_zerg
Profile Blog Joined September 2008
Korea (South)525 Posts
February 11 2009 23:53 GMT
#19
1920x1200
CharlieMurphy
Profile Blog Joined March 2006
United States22895 Posts
Last Edited: 2009-02-12 23:51:29
February 12 2009 00:01 GMT
#20
1280x1024 at work on 17" LCD, But I think I use a different size at home on my CRT (maybe slightly larger/smaller)

edit- nope same resolution both places/
..and then I would, ya know, check em'. (Aka SpoR)
b3h47pte
Profile Blog Joined May 2007
United States1317 Posts
February 12 2009 00:10 GMT
#21
1280x1024. Love this resolution ^_^
inReacH
Profile Blog Joined August 2008
Sweden1612 Posts
February 12 2009 00:21 GMT
#22
1680
minus_human
Profile Blog Joined November 2006
4784 Posts
Last Edited: 2009-02-12 00:23:46
February 12 2009 00:23 GMT
#23
On February 12 2009 08:21 IntoTheWow wrote:
1024 x 768 (square) I use this


Yeah

it's perfect for my photography processing
I'll probably get a bigger screen soon (currently got a 17", a 7 year old samsung CRT)
prOxi.swAMi
Profile Blog Joined November 2004
Australia3091 Posts
February 12 2009 01:00 GMT
#24
1400x1050 @ home (non widescreen)
my laptop is 1680x1050
at work I use dual monitors each running 1920x1200
Oh no
Night[Mare
Profile Blog Joined December 2004
Mexico4793 Posts
February 12 2009 01:04 GMT
#25
1024 x 768 for me, otherwise things seem too small on my 19'' monitor
Teamliquidian townie
spydR
Profile Blog Joined March 2008
Australia243 Posts
Last Edited: 2009-02-12 01:05:17
February 12 2009 01:04 GMT
#26
On February 12 2009 08:02 Mikilatov wrote:
1680x1050, here.


#1 Eric Marienthal fanboy. Dropped engineering for this >.<
Savio
Profile Joined April 2008
United States1850 Posts
February 12 2009 02:05 GMT
#27
Thats a very imperfect poll. Mine is 1680x1050 widescreen and that is pretty common on the 22" screens (which are becoming more and more common)
The inherent vice of capitalism is the unequal sharing of the blessings. The inherent blessing of socialism is the equal sharing of misery. – Winston Churchill
xmShake
Profile Blog Joined February 2007
United States1100 Posts
February 12 2009 02:23 GMT
#28
1680 x 1050
oneofthem
Profile Blog Joined November 2005
Cayman Islands24199 Posts
February 12 2009 02:25 GMT
#29
On February 12 2009 08:24 Theclutch wrote:
Show nested quote +
On February 12 2009 08:02 Mikilatov wrote:
1680x1050, here.


We have fed the heart on fantasies, the heart's grown brutal from the fare, more substance in our enmities than in our love
karelen
Profile Joined October 2003
Sweden2407 Posts
February 12 2009 02:26 GMT
#30
2560 x 1600
zzzzzz
Agro_Z
Profile Joined April 2008
United States138 Posts
February 12 2009 02:32 GMT
#31
I have a really..cruddy...small monitor so I need a higher resolution so everything fits on my screen =/ 1024x768 here running at 16bit
"Don't put things off, put them over" - fortune cookie
Abydos1
Profile Blog Joined October 2008
United States832 Posts
February 12 2009 02:39 GMT
#32
On February 12 2009 07:54 Spartan wrote:
Step 1: Visit this site (no it isn't mine despite what half of TL may think) and find out your screen resolution..
http://whatismyscreenresolution.com/


ROFL, who needs a website to find out their monitor resolution.
"...perhaps the greatest joy possible in Starcraft, being accused of being a maphacker" - Day[9]
rytas
Profile Joined February 2009
Sweden116 Posts
Last Edited: 2009-02-12 03:01:53
February 12 2009 03:00 GMT
#33
1680x1050(widescreen) reporting in. And I don't think that using a widescreen in SCII will have a significant advantage, besides widescreen has been around for quite some time now so it only makes sense that the game should support it.
Hold position Underground Conquerors is a bitch.
Pawsom
Profile Blog Joined February 2009
United States928 Posts
February 12 2009 03:16 GMT
#34
1600x1200(x2)
4 tables fit with no overlap
Whyzguy
Profile Joined June 2008
Canada263 Posts
February 12 2009 03:53 GMT
#35
1152 x 864

Am I weird? Not sure which one to vote for lol
"He who throws dirt, is losing ground." - Fortune Cookie [May 2011]
funkie
Profile Blog Joined November 2005
Venezuela9377 Posts
Last Edited: 2009-02-12 03:58:07
February 12 2009 03:57 GMT
#36
1920x1200
CJ Entusman #6! · Strength is the basis of athletic ability. -Rippetoe /* http://j.mp/TL-App <- TL iPhone App 2.0! */
jello_biafra
Profile Blog Joined September 2004
United Kingdom6642 Posts
February 12 2009 04:06 GMT
#37
1280 X 1024
The road to hell is paved with good intentions | aka Probert[PaiN] @ iccup / godlikeparagon @ twitch | my BW stream: http://www.teamliquid.net/video/streams/jello_biafra
BG1
Profile Blog Joined January 2005
Canada1550 Posts
February 12 2009 04:12 GMT
#38
On February 12 2009 11:23 xmShake wrote:
1680 x 1050


same. :/ Most common resolution is not in the poll...
There was once a dream that was Esports. You could only whisper it. Anything more than a whisper and it would vanish... Now is the time to make that dream a reality!
Cygnus
Profile Joined February 2004
United States853 Posts
February 12 2009 04:13 GMT
#39
1920x1200 all the way.
Fr33t
Profile Joined June 2008
United States1128 Posts
February 12 2009 04:14 GMT
#40
On February 12 2009 13:13 JaySmurff wrote:
1920x1200 all the way.

QFT
"Wow you could literally transport Lomo's face to a girl and the result would be pretty deceptive."
Jonoman92
Profile Blog Joined September 2006
United States9110 Posts
February 12 2009 04:24 GMT
#41
On February 12 2009 08:02 Mikilatov wrote:
1680x1050, here.

Spartan
Profile Blog Joined July 2005
United States2030 Posts
February 12 2009 04:37 GMT
#42
Added a third poll.
# http://nkspartan.com (web engineer)
# TL member since July 2005; CEO of Vile Gaming; President of Team Vile
Myrmidon
Profile Blog Joined December 2004
United States9452 Posts
February 12 2009 04:43 GMT
#43
I use 1400x1050, the highest my 15" laptop supports.
Kinky
Profile Blog Joined September 2008
United States4126 Posts
February 12 2009 04:52 GMT
#44
It's hard to find a new game nowadays that doesn't have both standard and widescreen resolutions.
GTR
Profile Blog Joined September 2004
51694 Posts
February 12 2009 05:29 GMT
#45
1680x1050 on a 22' LCD
Commentator
Nitrogen
Profile Blog Joined February 2008
United States5345 Posts
February 12 2009 05:34 GMT
#46
On February 12 2009 08:21 IntoTheWow wrote:
1024 x 768 (square) I use this


i use this as well... fuck my shitty monitor.
UNFUCK YOURSELF
Malongo
Profile Blog Joined November 2005
Chile3479 Posts
February 12 2009 05:57 GMT
#47
On February 12 2009 14:34 404.Nitrogen wrote:
Show nested quote +
On February 12 2009 08:21 IntoTheWow wrote:
1024 x 768 (square) I use this


i use this as well... fuck my shitty monitor.

i love my shitty monitor.
Help me! im still improving my English. An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind. M. G.
Fen
Profile Blog Joined June 2006
Australia1848 Posts
February 12 2009 06:11 GMT
#48
1280x1024 x2 monitors

Yes I browse with a fullscreen window, but I can browse 2 at once

Yes SC2 should have widescreen support. When you buy a computer these days, they all come with widescreen monitors. Youd really be screwing with a lot of people if it wasnt supported.
GHOSTCLAW
Profile Blog Joined February 2008
United States17042 Posts
February 12 2009 06:15 GMT
#49
I think that surfing the internet fullscreen is dependent on how large your monitor is. I know that when i'm at home/have a 30" monitor at my disposal, I don't use the whole screen to browse. But when i'mat school on a 19", then i need to fullscreen.

I hope that sc2 has widescreen support, but then again, i would be okay if it only had 2 resolutions: one for a 4:3, and one for widescreen. that way having better equipment doesn't help you at all.
PhotographerLiquipedia. Drop me a pm if you've got questions/need help.
GHOSTCLAW
Profile Blog Joined February 2008
United States17042 Posts
February 12 2009 06:15 GMT
#50
On February 12 2009 13:24 Jonoman92 wrote:
Show nested quote +
On February 12 2009 08:02 Mikilatov wrote:
1680x1050, here.


x2 Getting the video card for this to work is pretty tough.
PhotographerLiquipedia. Drop me a pm if you've got questions/need help.
hazz
Profile Blog Joined January 2009
United Kingdom570 Posts
February 12 2009 06:28 GMT
#51
1024 x 768 representin' yo
CosmicAC
Profile Blog Joined January 2009
United States238 Posts
February 12 2009 06:33 GMT
#52
1440x900

and, why would they even consider not including widescreen support?
To follow the path: look to the master, follow the master, walk with the master, see through the master, become the master.
LaSt)ChAnCe
Profile Blog Joined June 2005
United States2179 Posts
February 12 2009 07:04 GMT
#53
i have two different monitors running different res's, there should be an option for this
Kentor *
Profile Blog Joined December 2007
United States5784 Posts
Last Edited: 2009-02-12 08:17:02
February 12 2009 07:18 GMT
#54
1400x1050 on a 12" thinkpad, and 1680x1050 on 20" desktop monitor. Neither is an option -_-.

Everytime I see someone with 1280x800 on a 14-15 inch laptop or 1440x900 on 17 inch, I just wanna punch them in the face. Even 1440x900 sucks on a 14 inch laptop. I'm pretty pissed that 1400x1050 is phased out of the market.

i wouldn't be able to live with the browser maximized.
Tadzio
Profile Blog Joined October 2006
3340 Posts
February 12 2009 08:03 GMT
#55
I tend to go with the max resolution my monitors can display. 1280x800 on my laptop. 1024x768 on my PC. Fullscreen browser on my PC, windowed browser on my laptop. One of these days I'll scrap my ancient PC monitor for one that can display a massive resolution, but prolly not anytime soon. This piece of crap serves it's purpose and still doesn't have any dead pixels.... so I'll save my money and deal with its dinky max-resolution.
geometryb
Profile Blog Joined November 2005
United States1249 Posts
February 12 2009 08:19 GMT
#56
1920x1080
Not_Computer
Profile Blog Joined January 2007
Canada2277 Posts
February 12 2009 08:34 GMT
#57
1280x1024
used to be 1024x768
next up 5120x4096 or 5760x3600
"Jaedong hyung better be ready. I'm going to order the most expensive dinner in Korea."
x89titan
Profile Blog Joined April 2007
Philippines1130 Posts
February 12 2009 09:10 GMT
#58
1440x900 laptop
Heaven came down and glory filled my soul, when at the cross the Savior made me whole
Puosu
Profile Blog Joined April 2007
7080 Posts
Last Edited: 2009-02-12 19:33:52
February 12 2009 19:32 GMT
#59
On February 12 2009 08:31 Chuiu wrote:
Show nested quote +
On February 12 2009 08:19 liger13 wrote:
their adding widescreen?...

No. They're adding widescreen.

Does this mean that the widescreen users will be able to see more than the smaller monitors or just that they see the same but differently?.. I mean, like, everything is fat as hell or? ehh

._.
MasterReY
Profile Blog Joined August 2007
Germany2708 Posts
February 12 2009 19:45 GMT
#60
On February 12 2009 08:11 aseq wrote:
1920 x 1200. it's also not in there...


this
https://www.twitch.tv/MasterReY/ ~ Biggest Reach fan on TL.net (Don't even dare to mention LR now) ~ R.I.P Violet ~ Developer of SCRChart
TL+ Member
Chuiu
Profile Blog Joined June 2003
3470 Posts
February 12 2009 20:32 GMT
#61
On February 13 2009 04:32 Puosu wrote:
Show nested quote +
On February 12 2009 08:31 Chuiu wrote:
On February 12 2009 08:19 liger13 wrote:
their adding widescreen?...

No. They're adding widescreen.

Does this mean that the widescreen users will be able to see more than the smaller monitors or just that they see the same but differently?.. I mean, like, everything is fat as hell or? ehh

._.

Take a look at the two closely related resolutions:

1280x1024 and 1440x900

Now when you compare them...

1280x1024 = 1310720
1440x900 = 1296000

Now as you can see square resolutions show more of the screen. However widescreen shows more of the sides than the surrounding top and bottom areas so the only real difference is that you're getting a wider view of the battlefield not a larger view. And since this is Blizzard we can be sure that higher resolutions won't show more of the game.
♞
ahswtini
Profile Blog Joined June 2008
Northern Ireland22213 Posts
February 12 2009 20:40 GMT
#62
1280*1024, perfect resolution!
"As I've said, balance isn't about strategies or counters, it's about probability and statistics." - paralleluniverse
Racenilatr
Profile Blog Joined August 2008
United States2756 Posts
February 12 2009 20:48 GMT
#63
haha no one uses 800 600 anymore
Ziph
Profile Blog Joined March 2008
Netherlands970 Posts
Last Edited: 2009-02-12 20:56:32
February 12 2009 20:55 GMT
#64
1680x1050, I'm surprised by how many people still use 1024 ;_;
I don't browse full screen most of the time.
Starcraft 2 - Beta
o3.power91
Profile Blog Joined November 2007
Bahrain5288 Posts
February 12 2009 21:04 GMT
#65
1280x800
widescreen ftw!!
Carnac
Profile Blog Joined December 2003
Germany / USA16648 Posts
Last Edited: 2009-02-12 21:06:49
February 12 2009 21:06 GMT
#66
1280x1024 until my screen broke down last summer

1680x1050 since then, so much better!

I don't understand why 1680x1050 isn't in the poll..., since it's probably the most common desktop resolution by now (at least it was in a poll a couple of weeks ago on one of the private torrent trackers I use).

edit: I usually don't browse in full screen tho
ModeratorHi! I'm a .signature *virus*! Copy me into your ~/.signature to help me spread!
SoLaR[i.C]
Profile Blog Joined August 2003
United States2969 Posts
Last Edited: 2009-02-12 21:30:39
February 12 2009 21:30 GMT
#67
1920 x 1200 (widescreen). What option should I click?

P.s. - I've heard the widescreen resolutions were based off the golden ratio. Is this true?
floor exercise
Profile Blog Joined August 2008
Canada5847 Posts
February 12 2009 21:31 GMT
#68
Complaining about widescreen in gaming is like complaining that games only come on DVD instead of CDROM
decafchicken
Profile Blog Joined January 2005
United States20168 Posts
February 12 2009 21:41 GMT
#69
1680x1050 widescreen on a 15.4 inch laptop
I luv it. web browser only takes up like 2/3 the screen, rest i have media player/irc/aim to the side
how reasonable is it to eat off wood instead of your tummy?
GHOSTCLAW
Profile Blog Joined February 2008
United States17042 Posts
February 12 2009 21:41 GMT
#70
On February 13 2009 06:30 SoLaR[i.C] wrote:
1920 x 1200 (widescreen). What option should I click?

P.s. - I've heard the widescreen resolutions were based off the golden ratio. Is this true?


Im pretty sure that they're based off of industry standards as well as the size the mother glass can support. 4:3 was an old old standard, and was orignally used on tube tv's. movies were 16, which is where we see the widescreen monitors. you can probably google for a list of all the common screen dimensions/screen ratios.

Which golden ratio were you refering to?
PhotographerLiquipedia. Drop me a pm if you've got questions/need help.
SoLaR[i.C]
Profile Blog Joined August 2003
United States2969 Posts
Last Edited: 2009-02-12 22:03:54
February 12 2009 22:01 GMT
#71
On February 13 2009 06:41 GHOSTCLAW wrote:
Show nested quote +
On February 13 2009 06:30 SoLaR[i.C] wrote:
1920 x 1200 (widescreen). What option should I click?

P.s. - I've heard the widescreen resolutions were based off the golden ratio. Is this true?


Im pretty sure that they're based off of industry standards as well as the size the mother glass can support. 4:3 was an old old standard, and was orignally used on tube tv's. movies were 16, which is where we see the widescreen monitors. you can probably google for a list of all the common screen dimensions/screen ratios.

Which golden ratio were you refering to?

~1.6180339887:1

I found what I was looking for. It's WUXGA's 16:10 aspect ratio that I was thinking of.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WUXGA
R1CH
Profile Blog Joined May 2007
Netherlands10342 Posts
Last Edited: 2009-02-12 22:11:47
February 12 2009 22:09 GMT
#72
This should help you along... almost all of TL visits since Jan 01 2009:

[image loading]


I'm in the yellow .

Also it's scary to see how popular 1280x1024 is, I wonder how many people using it aren't using LCD...
AdministratorTwitter: @R1CH_TL
TL+ Member
theqat
Profile Blog Joined March 2008
United States2856 Posts
February 12 2009 22:11 GMT
#73
There's a Karune Q&A session that indicates that Blizzard has worked it out so that no user will have more than a 5% screen real estate advantage over any other user in SC2. Seems satisfactory to me. Tournaments can always mandate a resolution if they want to go that far.
Mannequin
Profile Blog Joined November 2008
Canada131 Posts
February 12 2009 22:17 GMT
#74
1280 by 800 on my laptop and I forget on my desktop
The man who smiles when things go wrong has thought of someone to blame it on.
Jayme
Profile Blog Joined February 2009
United States5866 Posts
February 12 2009 22:24 GMT
#75
On February 13 2009 07:09 R1CH wrote:
This should help you along... almost all of TL visits since Jan 01 2009:

+ Show Spoiler +
[image loading]


I'm in the yellow .

Also it's scary to see how popular 1280x1024 is, I wonder how many people using it aren't using LCD...


I've found that if you're into customizing or otherwise modding your desktop it's easier to do it on resolutions like 1280x1024. I don't know why this is exactly but it's easier to do what you have to do at that resolution, switch to your preferred one and make little adjustments that way.

Things like to screw up for me if i start modding my desktop at my preferred 1600x1200. In addition to that anything above 1600x1200 starts to look funny for me, so I never really go above that unless I have my second monitor hooked up. In that case I wouldn't really go above 3200x1200~~ Odd preferences I guess.
Python is garbage, number 1 advocate of getting rid of it.
JeeJee
Profile Blog Joined July 2003
Canada5652 Posts
February 12 2009 22:37 GMT
#76
i'm currently using 1680 (wsxga+) but thinking of dropping down to wxga+ for my next lappy to run games in native res. Does it actually matter though? I've heard stuff is suppose to look blurry on an lcd not running in native res but hell, this one can't run anything at 1680, and i've never had a problem?
(\o/)  If you want it, you find a way. Otherwise you find excuses. No exceptions.
 /_\   aka Shinbi (requesting a name change since 27/05/09 ☺)
QuanticHawk
Profile Blog Joined May 2007
United States32159 Posts
February 12 2009 22:41 GMT
#77
1680 X 1050 holla atcha boyyy
PROFESSIONAL GAMER - SEND ME OFFERS TO JOIN YOUR TEAM - USA USA USA
JudgeMathis
Profile Blog Joined July 2006
Cuba1286 Posts
February 12 2009 23:07 GMT
#78
1440 x 900. Makes everything look nice and sharp.
Benching 225 is light weight. Soy Cubano y Boricua!
Chuiu
Profile Blog Joined June 2003
3470 Posts
February 12 2009 23:10 GMT
#79
On February 13 2009 08:07 JudgeMathis wrote:
1440 x 900. Makes everything look nice and sharp.

By 'nice and sharp' what you mean is that you're displaying the screen according to your monitors native resolution. LCD monitors have one good resolution and several crappy ones whereas CRT monitors look 'nice and sharp' at any resolution they support.
♞
IntoTheWow
Profile Blog Joined May 2004
is awesome32282 Posts
February 12 2009 23:11 GMT
#80
On February 13 2009 07:09 R1CH wrote:
This should help you along... almost all of TL visits since Jan 01 2009:

[image loading]


I'm in the yellow .

Also it's scary to see how popular 1280x1024 is, I wonder how many people using it aren't using LCD...


Why do you say the LCD thing? : O
Moderator<:3-/-<
Abydos1
Profile Blog Joined October 2008
United States832 Posts
February 13 2009 00:28 GMT
#81
I'm not sure what you're target audience is but the steam hardware survey might help you if you're looking at gamers.

http://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey/
"...perhaps the greatest joy possible in Starcraft, being accused of being a maphacker" - Day[9]
R1CH
Profile Blog Joined May 2007
Netherlands10342 Posts
February 13 2009 04:09 GMT
#82
On February 13 2009 08:11 IntoTheWow wrote:

Why do you say the LCD thing? : O

Because 1280x1024 on a CRT yields a distorted resolution, since it isn't 4:3 AR.
AdministratorTwitter: @R1CH_TL
TL+ Member
T.O.P. *
Profile Blog Joined January 2009
Hong Kong4685 Posts
Last Edited: 2009-02-13 04:49:58
February 13 2009 04:46 GMT
#83
I'm stupid.
Oracle comes in, Scvs go down, never a miscommunication.
Kentor *
Profile Blog Joined December 2007
United States5784 Posts
February 13 2009 04:48 GMT
#84
whers 1400x1050
R1CH
Profile Blog Joined May 2007
Netherlands10342 Posts
February 13 2009 04:48 GMT
#85
On February 13 2009 13:46 T.O.P. wrote:
Show nested quote +
On February 13 2009 07:09 R1CH wrote:
This should help you along... almost all of TL visits since Jan 01 2009:

[image loading]


I'm in the yellow .

Also it's scary to see how popular 1280x1024 is, I wonder how many people using it aren't using LCD...

Is this all time, or is the data polled from a specific time period?

AdministratorTwitter: @R1CH_TL
TL+ Member
Carnac
Profile Blog Joined December 2003
Germany / USA16648 Posts
February 13 2009 04:50 GMT
#86
lolol
ModeratorHi! I'm a .signature *virus*! Copy me into your ~/.signature to help me spread!
Vasoline73
Profile Blog Joined February 2008
United States8138 Posts
February 13 2009 05:56 GMT
#87
1440x900 for me.

I also voted No for SC2 widescreen (even though I don't care that much since I have widescreen)
and
No for browser maximized. Just annoys me...
Zzoram
Profile Joined February 2008
Canada7115 Posts
February 13 2009 06:05 GMT
#88
I find it funny that you don't include 1680x1050 widescreen, which is actually far more common than 1600x1200 regular.
Spartan
Profile Blog Joined July 2005
United States2030 Posts
February 13 2009 22:53 GMT
#89
On February 13 2009 07:09 R1CH wrote:
This should help you along... almost all of TL visits since Jan 01 2009:

[image loading]


I'm in the yellow .

Also it's scary to see how popular 1280x1024 is, I wonder how many people using it aren't using LCD...

Ooh, thanks a lot for this.
# http://nkspartan.com (web engineer)
# TL member since July 2005; CEO of Vile Gaming; President of Team Vile
hugitout
Profile Blog Joined September 2008
United States379 Posts
February 14 2009 09:36 GMT
#90
this might be the most boring thread in the history of the world, 1280x1024
Clow
Profile Blog Joined September 2008
Brazil880 Posts
May 07 2009 16:36 GMT
#91
1680x1050
(–_–) CJ Entusman #33
Mr.Pyro
Profile Blog Joined July 2008
Denmark959 Posts
May 07 2009 23:28 GMT
#92
1680x1050
P⊧[1]<a>[2]<a>[3]<a>tt | P ≝ 1.a.2.a.3.a.P
fanatacist
Profile Blog Joined August 2007
10319 Posts
May 07 2009 23:31 GMT
#93
On May 08 2009 01:36 Clow wrote:
1680x1050

T_T
Peace~
TanGeng
Profile Blog Joined January 2009
Sanya12364 Posts
May 07 2009 23:34 GMT
#94
two monitors in 1600x1200.
Games play only on single screen.
Browser doesn't get maximized.

back in the CRT days, I had my monitor at 2560x1920.
Moderator我们是个踏实的赞助商模式俱乐部
Tyrant
Profile Joined September 2003
Korea (South)234 Posts
May 07 2009 23:48 GMT
#95
depends what you're playing. Some FPS i play with a smaller resolution because it makes aiming much easier. 1.6 and quake3 both fall into this category.

For any non FPS i play at maximum resolution that the game can support.
Ziph
Profile Blog Joined March 2008
Netherlands970 Posts
May 08 2009 00:14 GMT
#96
FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF

Are you guys blind ? Jezus fucking christ. There are like a million warnings and still manage to fail

FacePalm........
Starcraft 2 - Beta
Piste
Profile Blog Joined July 2006
6183 Posts
May 08 2009 00:15 GMT
#97
widescreen support is not fair imho..
Normal
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
PiGosaur Cup
00:00
#101 (PatchesSC Mod Edition)
PiGStarcraft420
Liquipedia
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
PiGStarcraft420
RuFF_SC2 132
Nina 86
-ZergGirl 76
StarCraft: Brood War
Rain 2348
Bale 17
yabsab 14
Terrorterran 3
Shuttle 0
Dota 2
febbydoto11
Counter-Strike
Coldzera 1163
taco 382
minikerr23
Super Smash Bros
hungrybox617
Other Games
summit1g7358
JimRising 687
Day[9].tv476
C9.Mang0375
WinterStarcraft219
ViBE172
Livibee143
Maynarde135
Sick130
ArmadaUGS29
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick1065
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream129
[ Show 12 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Response 15
• OhrlRock 5
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• Pr0nogo 7
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Other Games
• Day9tv476
Upcoming Events
Kung Fu Cup
8h 9m
Stellar Fest
10h 9m
The PondCast
1d 7h
OSC
1d 10h
Stellar Fest
1d 10h
OSC
1d 21h
Stellar Fest
2 days
CranKy Ducklings
3 days
Online Event
3 days
FEL
3 days
[ Show More ]
AI Arena Tournament
3 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
3 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
4 days
INu's Battles
4 days
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
BSL Open Qualifier
4 days
BSL Open Qualifier
4 days
Replay Cast
4 days
WardiTV Weekly
5 days
Replay Cast
5 days
INu's Battles
6 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-27
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual
Stake Ranked Episode 3

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.