• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 17:04
CEST 23:04
KST 06:04
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
Rollback Netcode in Brood War565.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 202621Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)78
StarCraft 2
General
5.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 2026 [Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)
Tourneys
$3,500 WardiTV Not-Summer Championship ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event RSL 2026 Offline Finals LCQ Sign-Ups Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) ISSL (IntoTheTV x SOOP SC2 League): Premier
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
BGH Auto Balance -> http://bghmmr.eu/ Repalyzer - replay analysis app for StarCraft: Rem Fantasy returning? TL Sidebar missing streams Rollback Netcode in Brood War
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Simple Questions, Simple Answers Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do?
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
[Manga] One Piece Movie Discussion! Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread TeamLiquid Health and Fitness Initiative For 2023 MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 7622 users

Yet another music recommendation topic...

Forum Index > General Forum
Post a Reply
1 2 Next All
PH
Profile Blog Joined June 2008
United States6173 Posts
Last Edited: 2009-01-03 07:26:57
January 03 2009 06:38 GMT
#1
Hello there...

I've recently gotten back into the groove of DL'ing mass amounts of music. I stopped about eight or nine months ago after the external hard drive I stored all of my music in failed, and I lost a good 80GB of music. Right now, my collection is mostly made up of just my favorites, and stands at a relatively pathetic 9GB. My wonderful cousins got me an iPod 120GB for Christmas, so I felt prompted to make use of that POS.

Anyway, for any metalheads out there...could you point me to some good Melodic Death Metal? I haven't been paying attention to what's been going on in the scene very much (not that I did before), so any good bands that have been coming out, and hell, name older bands I may have missed as well.

Currently, I have only some of the major names, Soilwork, Dark Tranquility, In Flames, Scar Symmetry, though I used to have a lot more...

Anyway, list out some recommendations please!!

Thanks in advance. (:

EDIT

Current list of things to get:
Norther
Kalmah
Wintersun
Eternal Tears of Sorrow
Insomnium
Nightrage
Mors Principium Est
Disarmonia Mundi
Omnium Gatherum
Neara
Nightrage
Sonic Syndicate
Arch Enemy
At the Gates
Blinded Colony
Dimension Zero
Hypocrisy
Mnemic
Children of Bodom
Zonaria
Darkane


I'm not sure if that's all legit melo-death, but I found a list of stuff I wanted to get from before I lost my old hard drive, and just tacked on other stuff I remembered I had to it. Ugh...the list is too fucking long...T_T
Hello
EGMachine
Profile Blog Joined February 2006
United States1643 Posts
January 03 2009 06:40 GMT
#2






your welcome
I'm like, the coolest
PH
Profile Blog Joined June 2008
United States6173 Posts
Last Edited: 2009-01-03 07:00:42
January 03 2009 06:59 GMT
#3
Eh...Lamb of God is...eh...

They have like three good songs per album, and the rest are mediocre filler in my opinion. Talented musicians, and a powerful vocalist, for sure...but unfulfilled potential imo. haha.

Beyond that...I'm not sure if calling them melodic death metal is fair...they're at best sort of melodic thrash, and at worst, metalcore.

Thanks for reminding me of them, though. I should definitely at least have them in my collection.
Hello
yejin
Profile Blog Joined August 2006
France493 Posts
January 03 2009 07:00 GMT
#4
Lamb of God is my all-time favourite metal band, I didn't find any mediocre song yet, just a matter of taste I guess.
nospeech
IntoTheWow
Profile Blog Joined May 2004
is awesome32282 Posts
January 03 2009 07:10 GMT
#5
Lamb of God is ok, but i cannot listen to a full album. It's like all the songs follow the same pattern, kind of tiring to listen to more than 5 songs in a row.
Moderator<:3-/-<
Moff
Profile Joined August 2008
United Kingdom166 Posts
January 03 2009 07:15 GMT
#6
i'd recommend Dethklok/eternal tears of sorrow/kalmah
Underwhelmed
Profile Blog Joined January 2008
United States207 Posts
January 03 2009 07:21 GMT
#7
PH
Profile Blog Joined June 2008
United States6173 Posts
January 03 2009 07:34 GMT
#8
On January 03 2009 16:15 Moff wrote:
i'd recommend Dethklok/eternal tears of sorrow/kalmah

haha, I found an old list I had from like eight or nine months ago I had of stuff I wanted to DL, and Eternal Tears of Sorrow and Kalmah are on that list under melo-death. Cheers.

Dethklok though...they're more brutal death, no? (Or at least wannabe)

On January 03 2009 16:21 Underwhelmed wrote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qd4q0Xx-u1Y

Hmm, I've heard of Death before, but never really looked into them. That song sounded pretty chill...thanks, I'll look into them.
Hello
Genjimaru
Profile Blog Joined May 2007
Canada515 Posts
Last Edited: 2009-01-03 08:05:13
January 03 2009 07:51 GMT
#9
You may like Ensiferum and In Flames maybe.. as I lay Dying and all that remains.



But as I lay dying and all that remains are less melodic than things like Bodom.

Ensiferum
+ Show Spoiler +
[image loading]


In Flames
+ Show Spoiler +
[image loading]


As I Lay Dying
+ Show Spoiler +
[image loading]


All That Remains
+ Show Spoiler +
[image loading]


FinnTroll: These guys make me lol
+ Show Spoiler +
[image loading]


Blind Guardian
+ Show Spoiler +
[image loading]


Trivium:
+ Show Spoiler +
[image loading]


Killswitch engage
+ Show Spoiler +
[image loading]


Edit: Sorry for the late links. Also some of these may be a little out of genre but I like a lot of what you posted so i'd recommend these.

Gonna stop posting the link below has a lot of good bands
Mooga
Profile Blog Joined June 2007
United States575 Posts
January 03 2009 08:01 GMT
#10
http://www.last.fm/tag/melodic death metal/artists
Moff
Profile Joined August 2008
United Kingdom166 Posts
Last Edited: 2009-01-03 08:26:59
January 03 2009 08:22 GMT
#11
On January 03 2009 16:34 PH wrote:

Dethklok though...they're more brutal death, no? (Or at least wannabe)


ya probably, i just listened to bands i had in the OP and looked through my collection to see which sounded near it, really dont care for all these sub-genres, as long as it sounds good

edit; above poster posted a good site, totally forgot about that, for any genre of music, it's awesome for finding new bands.
AmorVincitOmnia
Profile Joined March 2005
Kenya3846 Posts
Last Edited: 2009-01-03 08:54:25
January 03 2009 08:53 GMT
#12
i'm not going to list every single melodic death metal band that you should try, because it feels like i've done that every other time one of these threads pop up. try searching, you'll find everything you need and more.

but to avoid too much ball busting, i've been listening to The Absence's first album a lot lately and it's yet to get old. another really really talented metal band coming out of Tampa, Florida. keep an eye on Tampa
r.i.p. Bud Shank May 27, 1926 - April 2, 2009
PH
Profile Blog Joined June 2008
United States6173 Posts
Last Edited: 2009-01-03 09:07:22
January 03 2009 09:05 GMT
#13
haha, cool to see ppl here use last.fm as well. I've been using them for geez...like three-four years now. I posted here in case there were any I missed. Most of the stuff I listed in the OP is stuff I've found through there anyhow.

On January 03 2009 16:51 t3r.sAnkAri wrote:
You may like Ensiferum and In Flames maybe.. as I lay Dying and all that remains.



But as I lay dying and all that remains are less melodic than things like Bodom.

Ensiferum
+ Show Spoiler +
[image loading]


In Flames
+ Show Spoiler +
[image loading]


As I Lay Dying
+ Show Spoiler +
[image loading]


All That Remains
+ Show Spoiler +
[image loading]


FinnTroll: These guys make me lol
+ Show Spoiler +
[image loading]


Blind Guardian
+ Show Spoiler +
[image loading]


Trivium:
+ Show Spoiler +
[image loading]


Killswitch engage
+ Show Spoiler +
[image loading]


Edit: Sorry for the late links. Also some of these may be a little out of genre but I like a lot of what you posted so i'd recommend these.

Gonna stop posting the link below has a lot of good bands

I'm actually not too big a fan of metalcore stuff, but I do have to admit that KsE and All That Remains are pretty good bands.

I know I had Ensiferum before...aren't they that medieval metal band or something? I for some reason recall a song called, "Dragonheads" that was absolutely ridiculous...in like an awesomely bad sense...haha. I might be thinking of a different band, though.

On January 03 2009 17:53 AmorVincitOmnia wrote:
i'm not going to list every single melodic death metal band that you should try, because it feels like i've done that every other time one of these threads pop up. try searching, you'll find everything you need and more.

but to avoid too much ball busting, i've been listening to The Absence's first album a lot lately and it's yet to get old. another really really talented metal band coming out of Tampa, Florida. keep an eye on Tampa

Alright, alright, I'll go ahead and just search...lol.

But OMG...THANK YOU FOR BRINGING THEM UP...I had their Riders of the Plague album on my now dead hard drive and loved it...but I'd totally forgotten about them.
Hello
Omerta
Profile Joined July 2008
Australia3 Posts
January 03 2009 09:21 GMT
#14
The Black Dahlia Murder and Amon Amarth
yubee
Profile Blog Joined May 2006
United States3826 Posts
Last Edited: 2009-01-03 11:39:29
January 03 2009 09:23 GMT
#15
dont troll for no reason

- Mani
CharlieMurphy
Profile Blog Joined March 2006
United States22895 Posts
Last Edited: 2009-01-03 11:39:52
January 03 2009 10:57 GMT
#16
dont troll for no reason

- Mani
..and then I would, ya know, check em'. (Aka SpoR)
Moff
Profile Joined August 2008
United Kingdom166 Posts
January 03 2009 11:27 GMT
#17
hey you two, maybe you should read this thread before responding
LordWeird
Profile Blog Joined November 2007
United States3411 Posts
Last Edited: 2009-01-03 20:48:53
January 03 2009 20:38 GMT
#18
Anyway, for any metalheads out there...could you point me to some good Melodic Death Metal?


A lot of the bands recommended (In Flames and such) are not Melodic DM (almost none of the bands t3r.sAnkAri posted were).

Judging from the list you posted, here are some good bands that are:

Decapitated
Kataklysm
Vehemence
Amon Amarth
Kronos
Lykathea Aflame
Gorod (moreso tech than melodic death, but still good)
Quo Vadis (also more tech, but still very melodic)
Arghoslent
Suffocation
Bal-Sagoth
Mythological Cold Towers

I'll try to add bands as I think of them.

... now that I look at your list, a lot of that isn't exactly melodic death either, but it's not really a big deal ;D Let me know if you want any more recommendations, metal is basically my life ;D

Chains none
LordWeird
Profile Blog Joined November 2007
United States3411 Posts
Last Edited: 2009-01-03 20:45:55
January 03 2009 20:44 GMT
#19
Ahhhhh, One more thing:

The traditional Gothenburg melo-death genreis not exactly the same as Melodic Death Metal. I know it sounds weird. melo-death is bands like you mentioned: Soilwork, In Flames, At The Gates, etc. Melodic DM is just that: Primarily DM with more melody that brutality.
Chains none
Rostam
Profile Blog Joined December 2008
United States2552 Posts
January 03 2009 23:33 GMT
#20
LordWeird, melodeath is a shortened way of saying "melodic death metal" so I'm not entirely certain where you got the impression they are different. The only real argument I can see for claiming Gothenburg metal is different than Melodic Death is that a lot of traditionally influential Gothenburg bands have altered their style to the point where it's not recognizable as melodeath. Regardless, arguing over genre specificities is pointless because everyone seems to have a different idea of where genre boundaries lie.

OP: I'd recommend The Duskfall, Anterior, and Callenish Circle if you haven't checked them out yet.
BW forever || Thall
1 2 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
BSL: Ladder Tournament
04:00
#3 - $100
ZZZero.O162
LiquipediaDiscussion
AI Arena Tournament
02:00
Swiss - Round 5
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft: Brood War
Leta 570
ZZZero.O 162
Hyun 58
soO 52
Dota 2
qojqva2412
League of Legends
Doublelift2015
Heroes of the Storm
Grubby4309
Liquid`Hasu641
Other Games
summit1g7187
FrodaN1460
KnowMe357
Pyrionflax197
420jenkins190
Livibee166
QueenE100
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick651
StarCraft 2
angryscii 37
[ Show 16 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Hupsaiya 74
• Adnapsc2 22
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• blackmanpl 41
• FirePhoenix3
• niya90s 1
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Other Games
• imaqtpie969
• Shiphtur600
• Scarra409
Upcoming Events
Sparkling Tuna Cup
12h 56m
Patches Events
17h 56m
BSL Open Qualifier
21h 56m
BSL Open Qualifier
21h 56m
OSC
1d 1h
OSC
1d 14h
WardiTV Weekly
2 days
PiGosaur Cup
3 days
The PondCast
4 days
Online Event
5 days
[ Show More ]
Korean StarCraft League
6 days
Afreeca Starleague
6 days
Rush vs Soulkey
CranKy Ducklings
6 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
HCC Season 3
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.