• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 12:22
CEST 18:22
KST 01:22
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)75Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4) SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup Back to SC2 after 14 years - Protoss CTRL groups?
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ]
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
Sagi.gg Launcher Released 20-year-old Valorant player starting StarCraft BGH Auto Balance -> http://bghmmr.eu/ Fantasy returning? BSL Season 23
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers
Other Games
General Games
General RTS Discussion Thread Nintendo Switch Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Russo-Ukrainian War Thread US Politics Mega-thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Dating: How's your luck? Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 9665 users

How much can I impact with 5 dollars?

Forum Index > General Forum
Post a Reply
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All
Kleander
Profile Blog Joined November 2006
United States334 Posts
July 31 2013 22:16 GMT
#1
I'll start this off by saying that I work in a very strange company. Our CEO has a very clear vision that culture inside the company is the most important variable that drives our business to success. This culture takes on a plethora of different challenges, and one of them is something called "Change the World" wherein, you guessed it, my company is trying to literally change the world. One good deed at a time.

The amount of positive reinforcement is phenomenal at my work, and it shows. We've received numerous awards for "Best place to work in San Diego" and we're now on a campaign to try and branch out to other people, and other companies to not only network for our company, but to attempt to make the world a better place.

So people were selected at random to perform an act of kindness with a budget (this budget was provided by the company). I received $5 as my budget, and I know that doesn't seem like a lot, because it definitely didn't seem like a lot to me, but I thought about it: People in under developed countries could be helped immensely by donations such as this. I know it's cliche that NO donation is ever too small, but I really want to know what kind of impact $5 could really have on a person's life.

I thought about just taking the money and buying a bum a meal, but even then, that's one meal, for one day. I want this money to stretch as much as possible.

I've done some research, and 3for5 seems like the best option so far. Especially if I were to really campaign to get people to form a "wave" as they put it.

But I have until next week to do this, and I would like to know that this small budget did as much as it could, so please, let me know what you think would be the best way to impact the world with just $5.
Ambition is a poor excuse for not having enough sense to be lazy. 지지 Guess who's learning Korean
phodacbiet
Profile Joined August 2010
United States1740 Posts
July 31 2013 22:18 GMT
#2
You can buy a five dollar footlong and give it to two people i guess.
EdouarKiLL
Profile Joined October 2011
Russian Federation112 Posts
July 31 2013 22:27 GMT
#3
I don't know why but that kind of corporate management terrify me
Trololo
AeroGear
Profile Joined July 2009
Canada652 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-07-31 22:39:23
July 31 2013 22:37 GMT
#4
I dont mean to be negative but you dont impact anything or anyone with a 5$ commitment. All you do is provide a temporary band-aid, if even.

Send it oversea and see all your money get lost/wasted as administration fees. Spend it locally and your bum will only spend it on booze or cigarettes. Your best bet is buying food and giving it to some kind of local charity or shelter, altough its a laughable amount they will gladly take it since they are barely getting by as it is.

CEO's are as useless as a third niple, or any niple on a man...

Edit: I guess you can spend it on flyers to give out to people in order to raise awareness or money toward some sort of charity but it seems hypocritical for an "apparently" successful company to commit only 5$ to such kind of donation.
Driven by hate, fueled by rage
WombaT
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
Northern Ireland27462 Posts
July 31 2013 22:39 GMT
#5
A month of membership for Grubby's stream.

I
'You'll always be the cuddly marsupial of my heart, despite the inherent flaws of your ancestry' - Squat
TL+ Member
Alabasern
Profile Blog Joined September 2010
United States4005 Posts
July 31 2013 22:40 GMT
#6
Buy a book, grow vegetables, plant a tree.
Support your esport!
BlueBird.
Profile Joined August 2008
United States3890 Posts
July 31 2013 22:40 GMT
#7
Sometimes band-aids stop infections and prevent death aerogear.
Currently Playing: Android Netrunner, Gwent, Gloomhaven, Board Games
Chairman Ray
Profile Blog Joined December 2009
United States11903 Posts
July 31 2013 22:40 GMT
#8
http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=198372
Kickboxer
Profile Blog Joined November 2010
Slovenia1308 Posts
July 31 2013 22:41 GMT
#9
Buy something pretty and give it to a plain looking girl.
WombaT
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
Northern Ireland27462 Posts
July 31 2013 22:41 GMT
#10
On August 01 2013 07:41 Kickboxer wrote:
Buy something pretty and give it to a plain looking girl.

Buy something plain and give it a pretty looking girl. Defy societal conventions!
'You'll always be the cuddly marsupial of my heart, despite the inherent flaws of your ancestry' - Squat
TL+ Member
75
Profile Joined December 2012
Germany4057 Posts
July 31 2013 22:42 GMT
#11
buy tons of lollies and give it to children.
yo twitch, as long as I can watch 480p lagfree I'm happy
Souma
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
2nd Worst City in CA8938 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-07-31 22:43:36
July 31 2013 22:42 GMT
#12
+ Show Spoiler +
On August 01 2013 07:16 Kleander wrote:
I'll start this off by saying that I work in a very strange company. Our CEO has a very clear vision that culture inside the company is the most important variable that drives our business to success. This culture takes on a plethora of different challenges, and one of them is something called "Change the World" wherein, you guessed it, my company is trying to literally change the world. One good deed at a time.

The amount of positive reinforcement is phenomenal at my work, and it shows. We've received numerous awards for "Best place to work in San Diego" and we're now on a campaign to try and branch out to other people, and other companies to not only network for our company, but to attempt to make the world a better place.

So people were selected at random to perform an act of kindness with a budget (this budget was provided by the company). I received $5 as my budget, and I know that doesn't seem like a lot, because it definitely didn't seem like a lot to me, but I thought about it: People in under developed countries could be helped immensely by donations such as this. I know it's cliche that NO donation is ever too small, but I really want to know what kind of impact $5 could really have on a person's life.

I thought about just taking the money and buying a bum a meal, but even then, that's one meal, for one day. I want this money to stretch as much as possible.

I've done some research, and 3for5 seems like the best option so far. Especially if I were to really campaign to get people to form a "wave" as they put it.

But I have until next week to do this, and I would like to know that this small budget did as much as it could, so please, let me know what you think would be the best way to impact the world with just $5.


Where do you work? I live in San Diego and I must agree with your CEO about culture within a company.

Spend that $5 on gas and go out and volunteer for something worthwhile.
Writer
Wolfstan
Profile Joined March 2011
Canada605 Posts
July 31 2013 22:45 GMT
#13
Go to Tim Horton's and buy the next next 5 people coffees. That's apparently the big craze up here right now.
EG - ROOT - Gambit Gaming
eScaper-tsunami
Profile Blog Joined July 2009
Canada313 Posts
July 31 2013 22:45 GMT
#14
Since you have until next week, go to the casino, play whatever you think will give you the best odds and make the most out of it. And if you come out losing, then just take out $5 from your own pocket.
RuhRoh is my herO
Foblos
Profile Joined September 2011
United States426 Posts
July 31 2013 22:47 GMT
#15
On August 01 2013 07:40 Alabasern wrote:
Buy a book, grow vegetables, plant a tree.


I like the idea of planting something. If you plant something (or a few somethings) that are cheap to grow and give a lot of good seed after they flower in a few cycles you could give out a ton of free food or flowers to people you think need it. No immediate benefit, but over the course of a few seasons the impact could be massive.
But at what cost ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)
plated.rawr
Profile Blog Joined June 2008
Norway1676 Posts
July 31 2013 22:48 GMT
#16
Children is my thought. Find some orphan shelter or something, arrange some sort of event, where you buy prizes for the kids with the 5 bucks. Sure, it'll cost you a lot of time, but I think that'd give a lot of fun for that meager ammount of money.
Savior broke my heart ;_; || twitch.tv/onnings
Dekoth
Profile Joined March 2010
United States527 Posts
July 31 2013 22:50 GMT
#17
Go buy yourself lunch, you will have accomplished the same thing. Unless you need a $5 tax write off then in that case go to a charity, get a receipt and call it a day.

I used to be quite charitable, then I grew up and saw how much abuse there is in the system by the charities and those getting it. Never Again. Enough of my paycheck already gets stolen by the state and federal government to pay for worthless people to stay home doing drugs and pumping out kids as it stands.

WombaT
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
Northern Ireland27462 Posts
July 31 2013 22:52 GMT
#18
On August 01 2013 07:50 Dekoth wrote:
Go buy yourself lunch, you will have accomplished the same thing. Unless you need a $5 tax write off then in that case go to a charity, get a receipt and call it a day.

I used to be quite charitable, then I grew up and saw how much abuse there is in the system by the charities and those getting it. Never Again. Enough of my paycheck already gets stolen by the state and federal government to pay for worthless people to stay home doing drugs and pumping out kids as it stands.


Oh dear.
'You'll always be the cuddly marsupial of my heart, despite the inherent flaws of your ancestry' - Squat
TL+ Member
VyingsP
Profile Joined December 2011
France174 Posts
July 31 2013 22:54 GMT
#19
Given your budget, you have two options :
buy a candle in a church
buy a lottery ticket

5$... -_- I love your CEO
Corrections of my bad english are much welcome
GreenGringo
Profile Joined July 2013
349 Posts
July 31 2013 22:55 GMT
#20
The answer is pretty clear. What's the most important thing that costs money? Food (understood as food you need to not starve, not to get morbidly obese on your couch).

So you find out how you can get the most mileage from your $5 in terms of the most important thing you can buy with money, food.

Your intuitions about helping the bum were correct.
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 7h 38m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
ProTech173
UpATreeSC 92
BRAT_OK 24
StarCraft: Brood War
Calm 4573
Bisu 1831
Soulkey 1489
EffOrt 893
Mini 646
Larva 377
Horang2 377
ZerO 343
actioN 224
ggaemo 197
[ Show more ]
Yoon 118
Dewaltoss 115
Mind 98
Shinee 92
hero 69
Sharp 66
sorry 62
Snow 53
Barracks 52
Hyun 43
Bale 30
Trap 27
ToSsGirL 22
Terrorterran 20
NaDa 18
Rock 16
scan(afreeca) 14
Sacsri 10
Noble 9
zelot 9
ajuk12(nOOB) 6
Dota 2
Gorgc5513
qojqva2694
Dendi1417
420jenkins305
XaKoH 42
League of Legends
Reynor66
Counter-Strike
fl0m3330
x6flipin845
Fnx 681
edward34
Heroes of the Storm
crisheroes385
Other Games
Liquid`RaSZi1329
hiko969
FrodaN418
B2W.Neo331
XBOCT232
Liquid`VortiX207
Livibee171
QueenE110
TKL 80
Mew2King45
ZerO(Twitch)16
Organizations
Other Games
WardiTV141
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream32
[ Show 14 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• StrangeGG 62
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• HerbMon 46
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• WagamamaTV606
League of Legends
• Nemesis4056
• TFBlade732
Other Games
• Shiphtur489
Upcoming Events
PiGosaur Cup
7h 38m
Patches Events
23h 38m
The PondCast
1d 17h
INu's Battles
1d 18h
Percival vs TBD
Zoun vs herO
OSC
2 days
Replay Cast
2 days
OSC
3 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
4 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
4 days
Patches Events
4 days
[ Show More ]
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
WardiTV Weekly
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
HCC Season 3
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.