• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 21:48
CEST 03:48
KST 10:48
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
Rollback Netcode in Brood War575.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 202621Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)78
StarCraft 2
General
5.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 2026 [Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)
Tourneys
$3,500 WardiTV Not-Summer Championship ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event RSL 2026 Offline Finals LCQ Sign-Ups Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) ISSL (IntoTheTV x SOOP SC2 League): Premier
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
Rollback Netcode in Brood War BGH Auto Balance -> http://bghmmr.eu/ Repalyzer - replay analysis app for StarCraft: Rem Fantasy returning? TL Sidebar missing streams
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Simple Questions, Simple Answers Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do?
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
[Manga] One Piece Movie Discussion! Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread TeamLiquid Health and Fitness Initiative For 2023 MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8243 users

2009-2010 football (soccer) thread - Page 18

Forum Index > General Games
Post a Reply
Prev 1 16 17 18 19 20 183 Next
Holgerius
Profile Blog Joined January 2009
Sweden16951 Posts
September 16 2009 22:19 GMT
#341
On September 17 2009 06:18 Liquid`Drone wrote:
I quite enjoyed the game personally

and I don't think barcelona was much more offensive than inter.. a tad, sure, and their offensive players were more capable, but I thought they also seemed to care more about not losing than about winning.

During most of the second half Inter had 10 men on their own half. Barca were infinitely more offensive. I understand and respect Mourinho and Inter, though. It would not have been smart to play any differently against the best team in the world. It was great display of italian defensive. However, I would've liked to see some goals, preferably by Zlatan or Eto'o. That would've been fun.
I believe in the almighty Grötslev! -- I am never serious and you should never believe a thing I say. Including the previous sentence.
snarl
Profile Joined July 2004
Canada812 Posts
September 17 2009 03:36 GMT
#342
the linesman for Standard Liege vs Arsenal was terrible. Dunno how he missed the handball and clear offside for the 2nd Arsenal goal.
BG1
Profile Blog Joined January 2005
Canada1550 Posts
September 17 2009 04:00 GMT
#343
On September 17 2009 07:19 Holgerius wrote:
Show nested quote +
On September 17 2009 06:18 Liquid`Drone wrote:
I quite enjoyed the game personally

and I don't think barcelona was much more offensive than inter.. a tad, sure, and their offensive players were more capable, but I thought they also seemed to care more about not losing than about winning.

During most of the second half Inter had 10 men on their own half. Barca were infinitely more offensive. I understand and respect Mourinho and Inter, though. It would not have been smart to play any differently against the best team in the world. It was great display of italian defensive. However, I would've liked to see some goals, preferably by Zlatan or Eto'o. That would've been fun.


Portuguese coach, not one italian in the starting lineup = great display of italian defense LOL.


+ Show Spoiler +
But yea I know what you mean, I'm just jking
There was once a dream that was Esports. You could only whisper it. Anything more than a whisper and it would vanish... Now is the time to make that dream a reality!
Titusmaster6
Profile Blog Joined September 2007
United States5937 Posts
September 17 2009 05:44 GMT
#344
On September 17 2009 12:36 snarl wrote:
the linesman for Standard Liege vs Arsenal was terrible. Dunno how he missed the handball and clear offside for the 2nd Arsenal goal.


Ya wtf but I guess since there were like 3 players at the far post it was too sketchy to determine so he just didn't call it.
Shorts down shorts up, BOOM, just like that.
Telemako
Profile Blog Joined September 2002
Spain1637 Posts
September 17 2009 07:38 GMT
#345
IMO both Inter and Barça have lost strength with the Zlatan - Eto'o trade. Barça already had technique, and needed Eto'o to put strength and muscle to that. When a match like yesterdays was stuck, Eto'o put the difference. But now no muscle available, no differences, no variances, only more touch and one-twos with Zlatan but hell, they already had that. Idem with Inter on the other side.

Is like having a toolbox with only screwdrivers, JESUSCHRIST I NEED A HAMMER!
I've been around since it all started, and it feels good
JudasT
Profile Joined January 2003
Spain2226 Posts
September 17 2009 08:10 GMT
#346
Inter defence was great.

I hope Iniesta will be ready soon, he'll make the difference, not Eto'o or Zlatan.
Taking the time to have simple fun everyday is a must for a happy life.
Holgerius
Profile Blog Joined January 2009
Sweden16951 Posts
Last Edited: 2009-09-17 09:55:42
September 17 2009 09:55 GMT
#347
On September 17 2009 16:38 Telemako wrote:
IMO both Inter and Barça have lost strength with the Zlatan - Eto'o trade. Barça already had technique, and needed Eto'o to put strength and muscle to that. When a match like yesterdays was stuck, Eto'o put the difference. But now no muscle available, no differences, no variances, only more touch and one-twos with Zlatan but hell, they already had that. Idem with Inter on the other side.

Is like having a toolbox with only screwdrivers, JESUSCHRIST I NEED A HAMMER!

Woot? So in you opinion Barca lost strenght and muscle by getting Zlatan? XD Nah, Zlatan is bigger and stronger than Eto'o could ever hope to be. The thing is they didn't use that very well. Dani Alves right foot and Zlatan's forehead should be an excellent weapon against camping teams when their cute passing game doesn't work out.

Forza Roma!
I believe in the almighty Grötslev! -- I am never serious and you should never believe a thing I say. Including the previous sentence.
Liquid`Drone
Profile Joined September 2002
Norway28908 Posts
September 17 2009 10:08 GMT
#348
ya zlatan is stronger than eto'o ;p

I also think it was a bad trade for barcelona - but inter got so much money in addition that it was a good trade for them.
Moderator
Holgerius
Profile Blog Joined January 2009
Sweden16951 Posts
September 17 2009 11:01 GMT
#349
On September 17 2009 19:08 Liquid`Drone wrote:
ya zlatan is stronger than eto'o ;p

I also think it was a bad trade for barcelona - but inter got so much money in addition that it was a good trade for them.

I've always been bad at interpreting what people say on teh internet, but is you agreement sarcastic? Do you believe Zlatan is weaker than Eto'o?
I believe in the almighty Grötslev! -- I am never serious and you should never believe a thing I say. Including the previous sentence.
BG1
Profile Blog Joined January 2005
Canada1550 Posts
September 17 2009 11:03 GMT
#350
On September 17 2009 18:55 Holgerius wrote:
Show nested quote +
On September 17 2009 16:38 Telemako wrote:
IMO both Inter and Barça have lost strength with the Zlatan - Eto'o trade. Barça already had technique, and needed Eto'o to put strength and muscle to that. When a match like yesterdays was stuck, Eto'o put the difference. But now no muscle available, no differences, no variances, only more touch and one-twos with Zlatan but hell, they already had that. Idem with Inter on the other side.

Is like having a toolbox with only screwdrivers, JESUSCHRIST I NEED A HAMMER!

Woot? So in you opinion Barca lost strenght and muscle by getting Zlatan? XD Nah, Zlatan is bigger and stronger than Eto'o could ever hope to be. The thing is they didn't use that very well. Dani Alves right foot and Zlatan's forehead should be an excellent weapon against camping teams when their cute passing game doesn't work out.

Forza Roma!


Actually Ibrahimovic is not very know for his heading ability, though he is a tall guy. So don't count too much on his forehead .
I think what Telemako meant to say is that Eto'o was a much more direct player than Zlatan, he didn't do anything too fancy, just got the ball made some simple moves and shot on goal. Ibrahimovic however hogs the ball much more and tries to do elaborate plays and fancy tricks and Barca already have plenty of players who do that. They need someone like Eto'o who makes simple, quick, effective and decisive plays.
There was once a dream that was Esports. You could only whisper it. Anything more than a whisper and it would vanish... Now is the time to make that dream a reality!
Holgerius
Profile Blog Joined January 2009
Sweden16951 Posts
September 17 2009 11:50 GMT
#351
On September 17 2009 20:03 BG1 wrote:
Show nested quote +
On September 17 2009 18:55 Holgerius wrote:
On September 17 2009 16:38 Telemako wrote:
IMO both Inter and Barça have lost strength with the Zlatan - Eto'o trade. Barça already had technique, and needed Eto'o to put strength and muscle to that. When a match like yesterdays was stuck, Eto'o put the difference. But now no muscle available, no differences, no variances, only more touch and one-twos with Zlatan but hell, they already had that. Idem with Inter on the other side.

Is like having a toolbox with only screwdrivers, JESUSCHRIST I NEED A HAMMER!

Woot? So in you opinion Barca lost strenght and muscle by getting Zlatan? XD Nah, Zlatan is bigger and stronger than Eto'o could ever hope to be. The thing is they didn't use that very well. Dani Alves right foot and Zlatan's forehead should be an excellent weapon against camping teams when their cute passing game doesn't work out.

Forza Roma!


Actually Ibrahimovic is not very know for his heading ability, though he is a tall guy. So don't count too much on his forehead .
I think what Telemako meant to say is that Eto'o was a much more direct player than Zlatan, he didn't do anything too fancy, just got the ball made some simple moves and shot on goal. Ibrahimovic however hogs the ball much more and tries to do elaborate plays and fancy tricks and Barca already have plenty of players who do that. They need someone like Eto'o who makes simple, quick, effective and decisive plays.

I can agree with that to a certain degree, but he used the words ''strength'' and ''muscle''. Inter's physical coach said he had never worked with a player as strong as Zlatan. Also add the fact that he is 15 cm (?) taller than Eto'o and it's quite obvious that one should not talk about a loss of the physical aspect. In fact, Guardiola specifically said on of the reasons he wanted Zlatan was because it would add physique to the team. Zlatan is a beast, and I remember how he used to get free kicks against him unfairly all the time in Italy because he was so strong. Defenders would try to tackle him, fail and fall over simply because of his strength and then get the free kick. So yeah...

One could argue that Eto'o is better at scoring goals, but the difference is not that big. Eto'o has scored 205 goals in 404 games. Zlatan has scored 157 goals in 357 games. And I don't think he's that much more efficient; last season he scored 30 goals, great, but the way Barca played last season and with playmakers like Xavi, Messi, Iniesta and Henry around him pretty much anyone could've done it. Zlatan on the other hand scored 25 goals on his own. In Barca he hasn't played very well yet, but still he has scored 2 goals in 2 games. Overall there's not a doubt in my mind about who is the better player.
I believe in the almighty Grötslev! -- I am never serious and you should never believe a thing I say. Including the previous sentence.
JudasT
Profile Joined January 2003
Spain2226 Posts
Last Edited: 2009-09-17 11:55:52
September 17 2009 11:54 GMT
#352
In the present season,

Zlatan played 280 minutes and scored 2 goals.
Samuel played 476 minutes and scored 3 goals.

They are doing more or less the same... I believe it's OK for now
Taking the time to have simple fun everyday is a must for a happy life.
Telemako
Profile Blog Joined September 2002
Spain1637 Posts
September 17 2009 12:21 GMT
#353
Thanks BG1 for making my point clearer. That's exactly what I meant, Eto'o is more phisical than Ibra, and that's what Barça needs to get a variation, not more touch.

And Ibra is not that strong, Samuel and Lucio took him out a dozen times yesterday but not viceversa.

We'll see if I'm right in the long run of course.
I've been around since it all started, and it feels good
Liquid`Drone
Profile Joined September 2002
Norway28908 Posts
September 17 2009 12:45 GMT
#354
On September 17 2009 20:01 Holgerius wrote:
Show nested quote +
On September 17 2009 19:08 Liquid`Drone wrote:
ya zlatan is stronger than eto'o ;p

I also think it was a bad trade for barcelona - but inter got so much money in addition that it was a good trade for them.

I've always been bad at interpreting what people say on teh internet, but is you agreement sarcastic? Do you believe Zlatan is weaker than Eto'o?


no I think zlatan is a very very strong player, as in muscular

I think zlatan has a lot of flaws, he normally hogs the ball too long, his amazing technical abilities tend to make teams use him more than they should, he's not that efficient of a finisher, etc, but he is very very strong.
I think he's much better suited for a semi-defensive team (like inter) because he's one of, if not the best in the world, at being a lone striker against several defenders. barcelona needs to alter their offensive play to utilize zlatan to the fullest - or he needs to alter his play. considering zlatan has been one of the best strikers in the world when a team plays to his strenghts, and that barcelona had the best offense in the world last season, I think barcelona buying zlatan is bad for both him and the team.

im sure he'll still do fine, he is a great player, but I don't see him being better than eto'o for barcelona.
Moderator
Holgerius
Profile Blog Joined January 2009
Sweden16951 Posts
September 17 2009 13:10 GMT
#355
On September 17 2009 21:45 Liquid`Drone wrote:
Show nested quote +
On September 17 2009 20:01 Holgerius wrote:
On September 17 2009 19:08 Liquid`Drone wrote:
ya zlatan is stronger than eto'o ;p

I also think it was a bad trade for barcelona - but inter got so much money in addition that it was a good trade for them.

I've always been bad at interpreting what people say on teh internet, but is you agreement sarcastic? Do you believe Zlatan is weaker than Eto'o?


no I think zlatan is a very very strong player, as in muscular

I think zlatan has a lot of flaws, he normally hogs the ball too long, his amazing technical abilities tend to make teams use him more than they should, he's not that efficient of a finisher, etc, but he is very very strong.
I think he's much better suited for a semi-defensive team (like inter) because he's one of, if not the best in the world, at being a lone striker against several defenders. barcelona needs to alter their offensive play to utilize zlatan to the fullest - or he needs to alter his play. considering zlatan has been one of the best strikers in the world when a team plays to his strenghts, and that barcelona had the best offense in the world last season, I think barcelona buying zlatan is bad for both him and the team.

im sure he'll still do fine, he is a great player, but I don't see him being better than eto'o for barcelona.

Oki, agreed.
I believe in the almighty Grötslev! -- I am never serious and you should never believe a thing I say. Including the previous sentence.
zulu_nation8
Profile Blog Joined May 2005
China26351 Posts
September 17 2009 16:50 GMT
#356
I think 3 match ban is too little for Adebayor
ilj.psa
Profile Blog Joined December 2007
Peru3081 Posts
September 17 2009 17:50 GMT
#357
i think Zlatan just needs to understand the team more, in all the games i seen of barce he looks lost in the box.
must say being a barca supporter it pisses me off that sometimes he just stands there, like he doesn't care. dunno if its lazyness or thats just how he plays. hopefully he can change that ;O
Breavman
Profile Joined September 2004
Sweden598 Posts
September 17 2009 18:22 GMT
#358
Zlatan will always do three things:

- Miss the easy goals
- Score the impossible ones
- Look lazy

Can be pretty frustrating to watch.

Anyway, who else than me find they suddenly cheer for Man City more and more?
poppa
Profile Joined December 2005
United States329 Posts
September 17 2009 19:15 GMT
#359
real madrid lacks defense

against top tier teams they will suffer

BeaTeR
Profile Joined March 2003
Kazakhstan4130 Posts
Last Edited: 2009-09-17 19:17:25
September 17 2009 19:16 GMT
#360
On September 18 2009 03:22 Breavman wrote:

Anyway, who else than me find they suddenly cheer for Man City more and more?


i cheer for them every time they play, except games vs chelsea ^_^
hope MC knocks liverpool out of the epl's top4.
Prev 1 16 17 18 19 20 183 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 8h 12m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
RuFF_SC2 159
NeuroSwarm 97
FoxeR 3
StarCraft: Brood War
Leta 488
Rain 151
Bale 68
League of Legends
Doublelift4876
Other Games
summit1g9311
JimRising 588
ViBE212
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick655
BasetradeTV196
[ Show 12 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Hupsaiya 97
• Light_VIP 10
• Letter144
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Other Games
• Scarra1127
Upcoming Events
Sparkling Tuna Cup
8h 12m
Patches Events
13h 12m
BSL Open Qualifier
17h 12m
BSL Open Qualifier
17h 12m
OSC
21h 12m
OSC
1d 10h
WardiTV Weekly
2 days
PiGosaur Cup
2 days
The PondCast
4 days
Online Event
5 days
[ Show More ]
Korean StarCraft League
6 days
Afreeca Starleague
6 days
Rush vs Soulkey
CranKy Ducklings
6 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
HCC Season 3
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.