• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 15:43
CEST 21:43
KST 04:43
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)48Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double
Tourneys
Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) 2026 GSTL Grand Finals SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ] ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
Bot on ladder Fantasy returning? BW General Discussion ASL22 General Discussion a Announcement on the JEDI Ringing
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread All you football fans (soccer)! Russo-Ukrainian War Thread
Fan Clubs
MarineLorD Fan Club The Creator Fan Club The ShoWTimE Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8675 users

Smash Bros. Melee General Discussion - Page 17

Forum Index > General Games
Post a Reply
Prev 1 15 16 17 18 19 188 Next
We have created an irc channel (#tl-smash on Quakenet) for people to find others to play with on Dolphin or just to chat about Smash. Feel free to join!
dekuschrub
Profile Joined May 2008
United States2069 Posts
February 04 2010 21:38 GMT
#321
ok let me rephrase

I like armada a lot, and there are only a few players i like more than him. He always beats the players I like more than him, and loses to players I like less than him

cept when he lost to jeff that was great!

plus amsah beat zhu = verh sad face
Gustav_Wind
Profile Joined July 2008
United States646 Posts
February 04 2010 22:06 GMT
#322
On February 04 2010 07:17 Mogwai wrote:
eh, I think Peach vs. Jiggs is worse than people give it credit for. I think HBox would've beaten Armada fairly soundly and that's coming from a pretty overt HBox hater ...


I mean I think it's in Jiggs' favor, but you really think Hbox would beat Armada easily the first time they played? It took Mango basically an entire set to adapt to him at Genesis...
Mogwai
Profile Blog Joined January 2009
United States13274 Posts
February 04 2010 22:13 GMT
#323
well, I'm not sure. HBox's Jiggs is stylistically very very different from Mango's and likes to bair more, which I think is better vs. Peach. I dunno, it's all speculation until the next international tourney.
mogwaismusings.wordpress.com
ThatGuy
Profile Blog Joined April 2008
Canada695 Posts
February 05 2010 21:07 GMT
#324
I'm off to LBT2 for Melee and Brawl+, wish me luck guys . Aiming for top 10 Melee which 100% won't happen, and top 3 Brawl+.
Zoler
Profile Blog Joined June 2008
Sweden6339 Posts
February 06 2010 00:21 GMT
#325
On February 05 2010 07:06 Gustav_Wind wrote:
Show nested quote +
On February 04 2010 07:17 Mogwai wrote:
eh, I think Peach vs. Jiggs is worse than people give it credit for. I think HBox would've beaten Armada fairly soundly and that's coming from a pretty overt HBox hater ...


I mean I think it's in Jiggs' favor, but you really think Hbox would beat Armada easily the first time they played? It took Mango basically an entire set to adapt to him at Genesis...


Adapt? Armada stoped playing totally after that rest in the 4th (?) game.
Lim Yo Hwan forever!
Frolossus
Profile Joined February 2010
United States4779 Posts
February 06 2010 01:56 GMT
#326
pound 4 was awful.
Zoler
Profile Blog Joined June 2008
Sweden6339 Posts
February 06 2010 02:17 GMT
#327
On February 06 2010 10:56 Frolossus wrote:
pound 4 was awful.


Some of the sets were epic and fun to watch, but the WF and GF.. the horror
Lim Yo Hwan forever!
Antifate
Profile Blog Joined August 2004
United States415 Posts
February 06 2010 02:48 GMT
#328
On February 06 2010 09:21 Zoler wrote:
Show nested quote +
On February 05 2010 07:06 Gustav_Wind wrote:
On February 04 2010 07:17 Mogwai wrote:
eh, I think Peach vs. Jiggs is worse than people give it credit for. I think HBox would've beaten Armada fairly soundly and that's coming from a pretty overt HBox hater ...


I mean I think it's in Jiggs' favor, but you really think Hbox would beat Armada easily the first time they played? It took Mango basically an entire set to adapt to him at Genesis...


Adapt? Armada stoped playing totally after that rest in the 4th (?) game.


HBox's style is very different from Mango's. That safe ("gay") style of his is better at combating someone who one doesn't have a lot of experience with. Mango's (more) aggressive style, while he is often able to simply power through his opponents, can sometimes be taken advantage of. HBox versus Armada would have been very exciting.

Anyone know why neither HBox or M2K played for the USA during the crew battle with Europe?

In addition, it's quite obvious that Mango adapted to Armada during their match at Genesis. I don't understand why people always john for Armada either. I really like Armada - though I don't appreciate him edging out M2K at Pound - but even I recognize that right now Mango is the best player in the world (or between the U.S., Canada, and Europe). The constant johns that Europeans give for Armada's losses, legitimate or not, are fucking annoying and make him look like a player who has to use a fanbase, and not his skills, to prove himself. ._.
No one is taller than the last man standing.
rabidch
Profile Joined January 2010
United States20289 Posts
February 06 2010 03:35 GMT
#329
On February 06 2010 11:48 Antifate wrote:
Show nested quote +
On February 06 2010 09:21 Zoler wrote:
On February 05 2010 07:06 Gustav_Wind wrote:
On February 04 2010 07:17 Mogwai wrote:
eh, I think Peach vs. Jiggs is worse than people give it credit for. I think HBox would've beaten Armada fairly soundly and that's coming from a pretty overt HBox hater ...


I mean I think it's in Jiggs' favor, but you really think Hbox would beat Armada easily the first time they played? It took Mango basically an entire set to adapt to him at Genesis...


Adapt? Armada stoped playing totally after that rest in the 4th (?) game.


HBox's style is very different from Mango's. That safe ("gay") style of his is better at combating someone who one doesn't have a lot of experience with. Mango's (more) aggressive style, while he is often able to simply power through his opponents, can sometimes be taken advantage of. HBox versus Armada would have been very exciting.

Anyone know why neither HBox or M2K played for the USA during the crew battle with Europe?

In addition, it's quite obvious that Mango adapted to Armada during their match at Genesis. I don't understand why people always john for Armada either. I really like Armada - though I don't appreciate him edging out M2K at Pound - but even I recognize that right now Mango is the best player in the world (or between the U.S., Canada, and Europe). The constant johns that Europeans give for Armada's losses, legitimate or not, are fucking annoying and make him look like a player who has to use a fanbase, and not his skills, to prove himself. ._.


M2K was teamed with JMan, and Jman woke up too late (sleeping) and the admin didn't let them back in even with a team giving up their spot, so they got DQ
LiquidDota StaffOnly a true king can play the King.
Antifate
Profile Blog Joined August 2004
United States415 Posts
February 06 2010 21:20 GMT
#330
JMan apparently did not oversleep. His car broke down. Anyway crews are different from doubles.

As to why those two players weren't there, I think M2K was playing Brawl, and HBox probably didn't want to be around Mango (?).
No one is taller than the last man standing.
ThatGuy
Profile Blog Joined April 2008
Canada695 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-02-08 16:56:04
February 08 2010 16:54 GMT
#331
So after playing some Toronto smashers and seeing how far out of the loop I really was, I was happy to advance out of pools with a 5-2 record . Unfortunately, 3 others also achieved that so I got 4th seed due to the amount of games dropped T_T. At least I won a bracket match so I ended up 17th. Kirbykaze won with Raynex second.

As for Brawl+, I finished 5th. I really feel like I could have performed better, but I just had the wrong mindset at the wrong moments and ran into some horrible luck at times. Oh well. HolyNightmare won that with Ally second.

Raynex is so fucking fun to watch, the amount of technical ability he displays in his matches is mind boggling.

Special shoutout to Gerbil for our pools match . Nice Samus, I'm not very proficient with the character so sorry I can't give you any tips, but keep at it!
SaveYourSavior
Profile Blog Joined July 2008
United States1071 Posts
February 08 2010 17:29 GMT
#332
KirbyKaze is one of the most underrated players i've ever seen, from vids and people i talked to who played him at pound
a
Mogwai
Profile Blog Joined January 2009
United States13274 Posts
February 08 2010 17:49 GMT
#333
KK's no joke. He's a lot scarier since Pound where he apparently figured out how to fight Fox, but he still looks a little weak vs. Falco and in dittoes.
mogwaismusings.wordpress.com
jcu
Profile Joined February 2008
Canada93 Posts
February 08 2010 18:07 GMT
#334
Lol, how did gerbil and his missile dash attack or space down/sidesmash samus go? Or did he recently gain some technical skills? And about Pound4... Puff dittos are balls ^^. People who want to watch melee with jokes commentary, if you don't already know, go to thewaffle77 youtube channel.
Zoler
Profile Blog Joined June 2008
Sweden6339 Posts
February 08 2010 18:33 GMT
#335
On February 06 2010 11:48 Antifate wrote:
Show nested quote +
On February 06 2010 09:21 Zoler wrote:
On February 05 2010 07:06 Gustav_Wind wrote:
On February 04 2010 07:17 Mogwai wrote:
eh, I think Peach vs. Jiggs is worse than people give it credit for. I think HBox would've beaten Armada fairly soundly and that's coming from a pretty overt HBox hater ...


I mean I think it's in Jiggs' favor, but you really think Hbox would beat Armada easily the first time they played? It took Mango basically an entire set to adapt to him at Genesis...


Adapt? Armada stoped playing totally after that rest in the 4th (?) game.


HBox's style is very different from Mango's. That safe ("gay") style of his is better at combating someone who one doesn't have a lot of experience with. Mango's (more) aggressive style, while he is often able to simply power through his opponents, can sometimes be taken advantage of. HBox versus Armada would have been very exciting.

Anyone know why neither HBox or M2K played for the USA during the crew battle with Europe?

In addition, it's quite obvious that Mango adapted to Armada during their match at Genesis. I don't understand why people always john for Armada either. I really like Armada - though I don't appreciate him edging out M2K at Pound - but even I recognize that right now Mango is the best player in the world (or between the U.S., Canada, and Europe). The constant johns that Europeans give for Armada's losses, legitimate or not, are fucking annoying and make him look like a player who has to use a fanbase, and not his skills, to prove himself. ._.


I agree on Mango being the best player in the world, he is crazy good! Tho you have to agree after being so close like Armada was to winning and making the terrible mistake of rolling and getting rested it's not too wierd to think his confidence must have taken a hit.

Lim Yo Hwan forever!
Shikyo
Profile Blog Joined June 2008
Finland33997 Posts
February 08 2010 18:46 GMT
#336
So I'm trying to learn to play Mewtwo. Help appreciated ^_^ Any ideas for frontal approaches, first of all? forward B vs fastfallers and dtilt and ftilt and down B and grab are the ones I've come up with, and short hop bair djc bair(short hop double bair) well-spaced seems to work quite nicely as well, but Marth is really lame.

And no, "don't play mewtwo" doesn't work -_-
League of Legends EU West, Platinum III | Yousei Teikoku is the best thing that has ever happened to music.
Mogwai
Profile Blog Joined January 2009
United States13274 Posts
February 08 2010 19:11 GMT
#337
Mewtwo was my low tier for a long long time, so I know a thing or two about him so I'll try to help out.

One of the keys of Mewtwo is that you can essentially never approach before your opponent makes a mistake. You need to stay nice and mobile and harass them with uncharged shadow balls and try to bait an attack out of them and then wavedash in to a dtilt/grab. ftilt is also an option, but it's hard to follow an ftilt up, so in general, I suggest sticking to dtilts and grabs. If your opponent is just staying grounded, you can't do anything fancy, you just have to grab them because none of Mewtwo's moves that have any range beat crouch canceling (except for down B and forward B, but both of these moves are hugely laggy and come out very slowly, so they are just gimmicks, not reliable approaches/moves in general). And in that same light, don't be afraid to use your crouch cancel at low %s... CC grab and CC dtilt are 2 of Mewtwo's best ways to get an opening in. the double bair thing is also unreliable. it's at it's best sneaking under your opponent's shffls (since if they're grounded, they'll usually just CC it into rape, since despite the move's nice range, it leaves your tail out there for your opponent to hit), but even then, I'd just suggest dash dancing or wavedashing into a grab instead as it's less risky and generally leads to better combos.

I guess what I'm getting at is that Mewtwo's essentially a two-trick pony when it comes to getting initial hits (dtilt and grab). Everything else is just a gimmick that you shouldn't try to rely on.

And for whatever it's worth, I don't think Marth is nearly as bad for Mewtwo as Fox/Falco/Falcon are at the higher levels. At least you can CC Marth's aerials and edgeguard him nicely with bair and reverse uair. While you can combo the fast fallers really well, they all take monstrous advantage of your huge body box in combos and are damn near impossible to get first hits in once they learn your tricks.
mogwaismusings.wordpress.com
BalloonFight
Profile Blog Joined May 2006
United States2007 Posts
February 08 2010 20:10 GMT
#338
Haven't added my info yet as I literally just saw the thread.

BalloonFight
Main: Marth (best)/Fox/Shiek
Active: Active for the last 2 years, took a break previously of 2 years before that. Am quite good and have played basically everyone who's considered great at this game. (mango/m2k/zhu, etc)
Location: San Diego
ThatGuy
Profile Blog Joined April 2008
Canada695 Posts
February 08 2010 20:29 GMT
#339
On February 09 2010 03:07 jcu wrote:
Lol, how did gerbil and his missile dash attack or space down/sidesmash samus go? Or did he recently gain some technical skills? And about Pound4... Puff dittos are balls ^^. People who want to watch melee with jokes commentary, if you don't already know, go to thewaffle77 youtube channel.


Haha, he did okay I guess but he's got a lot to learn :p. Unfortunately he didn't make it out of pools .
Shikyo
Profile Blog Joined June 2008
Finland33997 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-02-09 17:35:45
February 09 2010 17:10 GMT
#340
O_o Scary... hmm my general plan is dtilt and grab obviously, but I believe that bair can actually be spaced pretty well, and that f-b can work since it has quite nice range off short hop, but otherwise well yeah =D wonder how it'll go this time against actually decent players ^_^

EDIT: Oh btw my style is all about gimmicks so I definitely will use every option ^_^ Employing moonwalk and wavesmashes already pretty nicely. Oh, and tech chase down B is funn
League of Legends EU West, Platinum III | Yousei Teikoku is the best thing that has ever happened to music.
Prev 1 15 16 17 18 19 188 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 4h 18m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
mouzHeroMarine 633
JuggernautJason60
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 16597
Dewaltoss 116
Sexy 37
Bale 12
Dota 2
monkeys_forever245
Counter-Strike
fl0m1390
Heroes of the Storm
Khaldor1847
crisheroes1132
Liquid`Hasu840
Other Games
summit1g4435
Grubby3677
FrodaN722
Beastyqt665
shahzam441
byalli274
ArmadaUGS184
C9.Mang0171
KnowMe169
UpATreeSC103
Mew2King78
Organizations
Other Games
BasetradeTV205
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream108
StarCraft 2
angryscii 26
[ Show 13 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• intothetv
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• 80smullet 30
• FirePhoenix12
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Other Games
• imaqtpie880
• WagamamaTV274
• Shiphtur228
Upcoming Events
OSC
4h 18m
Stellar Fest
17h 18m
OSC
1d 2h
CranKy Ducklings
1d 14h
Online Event
1d 15h
FEL
1d 20h
AI Arena Tournament
1d 21h
BSL: Ladder Tournament
1d 23h
Sparkling Tuna Cup
2 days
INu's Battles
2 days
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
[ Show More ]
BSL Open Qualifier
2 days
BSL Open Qualifier
2 days
Replay Cast
3 days
Afreeca Starleague
3 days
Rush vs Light
WardiTV Weekly
3 days
Replay Cast
4 days
Afreeca Starleague
4 days
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
4 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
5 days
The PondCast
6 days
INu's Battles
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-30
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.