The main reason we're getting so much outrage about it is because restrictions of this nature have never been seen in esports before. I admittedly am not surprised that it is Riot who is initiating these things, but in a way it's a further signal to me that 'esports is going legit'.
General Discussion - Page 4458
| Forum Index > Dota 2 General |
IRC chatter should remain in IRC - http://webchat.quakenet.org/?channels=tl.dota2 Posts that relate to topics with their own thread, such as in News, Tournaments or Strategy should go in those threads. | ||
|
Firebolt145
Lalalaland34507 Posts
The main reason we're getting so much outrage about it is because restrictions of this nature have never been seen in esports before. I admittedly am not surprised that it is Riot who is initiating these things, but in a way it's a further signal to me that 'esports is going legit'. | ||
|
SilverStar
Sweden18511 Posts
I received an event contract for IPL a few years back via an ex-s2 employee which stated no competing games for IPL if they ran LoL. including Dota 2, BLC & HoN. It's been a thing for a while, and despite riot do a nice job giving players a chance to be pro-gamers. this strong-arm company tactic is quite saddening overall. also teams with LoL divisions were being pressured to not pick up a DotA 2 squad. but the teams won that battle. that was over a year ago. From 2gd on reddit: http://www.reddit.com/r/DotA2/comments/1s38uc/dota_2_censored_by_riots_season_4_lcs_contracts/cdtgkdv | ||
|
Plansix
United States60190 Posts
On December 05 2013 03:26 SilverStar wrote: Not sure where Thor fits in but the problem isn't this single action. It is the whole Riot bullshit they spew: <3 eSports, lol helps eSports grow and in the next second they block dota 2 from MLG / ESL for nearly 2 years (still banned from ESL studio in cologne), try to force teams to drop their dota 2 squads and now stop their players from streaming any other non-lol game. It's just extremly anti-competitve. At least drop the we love eSport bullshit then. Welcome to the big time where real money is involved. I signed a non-compete clause with my firm when I came here and I can't just take their client index and go to another firm. I have had to not work on cases we have taken do to other firms I worked at. It's real life and riot isn't going to pay people to promote other games. That's just stupid to do. | ||
|
dfs
Russian Federation4050 Posts
On December 05 2013 03:28 Firebolt145 wrote: In the real world it definitely isn't completely unusual for them to make these restrictions. It happens with sponsorships all the time. You aren't allowed to be seen drinking Coke at a professional event if you're sponsored by Pepsi. In this situation, their streams are very much a part of their 'professional job', and I can somewhat understand Riot's stance on the whole thing. The main reason we're getting so much outrage about it is because restrictions of this nature have never been seen in esports before. I admittedly am not surprised that it is Riot who is initiating these things, but in a way it's a further signal to me that 'esports is going legit'. "Riot is going legit". Not eSports. | ||
|
teddyoojo
Germany22369 Posts
| ||
|
PassiveAce
United States18076 Posts
RIOT killing USA | ||
|
Plansix
United States60190 Posts
On December 05 2013 03:28 Firebolt145 wrote: In the real world it definitely isn't completely unusual for them to make these restrictions. It happens with sponsorships all the time. You aren't allowed to be seen drinking Coke at a professional event if you're sponsored by Pepsi. In this situation, their streams are very much a part of their 'professional job', and I can somewhat understand Riot's stance on the whole thing. The main reason we're getting so much outrage about it is because restrictions of this nature have never been seen in esports before. I admittedly am not surprised that it is Riot who is initiating these things, but in a way it's a further signal to me that 'esports is going legit'. Firebolt, you continue to be a smart cookie. Real life: Game is hard. | ||
|
clusen
Germany8702 Posts
| ||
|
Plansix
United States60190 Posts
On December 05 2013 03:33 PassiveAce wrote: Whats really bullshit is that they cant stream themselves smoking blunts while flashin pistols RIOT killing USA Or stream naked while on a wrecking ball. Fucking Riot repessing Kurpos right to show off his beautiful body. | ||
|
dfs
Russian Federation4050 Posts
On December 05 2013 03:35 Plansix wrote: Or stream naked while on a wrecking ball. Fucking Riot repessing Kurpos right to show off his beautiful body. You can still drink alcohol while streaming. Good enough for me. | ||
|
Qbek
Poland12923 Posts
| ||
|
Firebolt145
Lalalaland34507 Posts
| ||
|
Zozo
Brazil2579 Posts
| ||
|
crms
United States11933 Posts
This is actually very true. This is quite the opposite of 'esports' going legit, because esports would be all encompassing competitive gaming growth. Esports has always been a myth though. The term worked when the sc2 community was deluded enough to think that it, and it alone was Esports, however, as we see with multiple titles and game developers being involved, we're hardly a kosher community. The term 'esports' should really RIP. | ||
|
teddyoojo
Germany22369 Posts
![]() | ||
|
PassiveAce
United States18076 Posts
On December 05 2013 03:36 Qbek wrote: Poor lol pros can't stream fat princess, pretty much the blackest day in their lives lmfao I was about to say. RIOT really going out of their way to murder Demigods competitive scene. | ||
|
Firebolt145
Lalalaland34507 Posts
| ||
|
Kipsate
Netherlands45349 Posts
| ||
|
clusen
Germany8702 Posts
On December 05 2013 03:39 Kipsate wrote: I didnt even know what fat princess was. Me neither, but I bet you just googled it like I did. Probably some kind of elaborate marketing trick. | ||
|
PassiveAce
United States18076 Posts
If you live in a state that doesnt suck ofc | ||
| ||
