• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 00:45
CEST 06:45
KST 13:45
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
5.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 20260Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)77Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2
StarCraft 2
General
5.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 2026 How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? [Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) ISSL (IntoTheTV x SOOP SC2 League): Premier Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond)
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
Sagi.gg Launcher Released BW General Discussion SC4ALL II Brood War Complete Invited Player Lineup 20-year-old Valorant player starting StarCraft Bot on ladder
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Simple Questions, Simple Answers Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do?
Other Games
General Games
General RTS Discussion Thread Nintendo Switch Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Dating: How's your luck?
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
[Manga] One Piece Movie Discussion! Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 7889 users

Blocking ramp with queens.

Forum Index > Closed
Post a Reply
1 2 Next All
ixi.genocide
Profile Blog Joined June 2010
United States981 Posts
April 28 2011 07:11 GMT
#1
Earlier today I was playing a game against T and scouted that he was going for a hellion play, I put down 2 spines in my natural and put my queen on my ramp to block the hellions, I didn't put both queens because I was under the impression that 1 would block. He comes in w/ his hellions, they start getting smacked by 1 of my spines (other was in mineral line) as he is attempting to go up the ramp, I'm thinking "Awesome" another hellion smashing thwarted". nah, he gets into my base, I pull my drones off and send them down to my nat, try to intercept the hellions with my queens. He goes down to my natural, KILLS ALL OF MY DRONES before 2 spines can kill 3 weakened hellions (I had them go past the spine crawler) before the hellion dies.

At this point I might as well gg, I don't because i'm assuming this terran has never played a game past that point (almost a great decision). I get back to 40 drones and get like 12 mutas when his 4 siege tank w/ a couple medis and a shitload of marines show up at my base.

While it is interesting that I almost held his attack after he roasted my entire economy, I am tired of my queen not blocking my ramp (this isn't the first time this has happened). I searched utube for a vid and did a meager search on tl for it as well and nothing has come up. Does anyone have a video of this tactic? or was a wrong in thinking that 1 queen can hold the ramp.

User was warned for this post
Benjef
Profile Blog Joined December 2010
United Kingdom6921 Posts
April 28 2011 07:14 GMT
#2
You were wrong. You need 2 from what I've seen (I play Terran and people always 2 queen block me).

Hope this helps!
<3 | Dota 2 | DayZ | <3
Drolla
Profile Joined September 2010
United Kingdom389 Posts
April 28 2011 07:15 GMT
#3
It is possible for one Queen to block the ramp, but the Queen has to be in a perfect position right in the centre of ramp. It's much safer bringing your second Queen to block the ramp and adjusting one slightly if you want to bring units out of your base.
Deleted User 101379
Profile Blog Joined August 2010
4849 Posts
April 28 2011 07:15 GMT
#4
As far as i know, one Queen _can_ block the ramp with perfect positioning, but after trying it a few times previously, i now just use 2 queens. A pixel in the wrong direction is the difference between living and dead drones.

I don't know of any videos that explain it though.
ixi.genocide
Profile Blog Joined June 2010
United States981 Posts
April 28 2011 07:20 GMT
#5
ok . Normally I like to use the smallest changes possible (like only 1 queen) but if 2 queens is that much safer, that is what I will do. I guess I will compensate by making the 2 extra queens you need for bancheese and the evo chamber walling off the ramp as well.
Owarida
Profile Joined April 2010
United States333 Posts
April 28 2011 07:21 GMT
#6
Just make 4 queens, 2 for larva injects, other two for ramp. You can drop mass creep tumor or use their energy for healing. You should be safe from pretty much any thing a terran can throw at you before 7mins if you have 2 blocking ramp, 1 free, and 2-3 spine crawlers.
ixi.genocide
Profile Blog Joined June 2010
United States981 Posts
April 28 2011 07:26 GMT
#7
Furthermore, I thought it was customary to block ramp w/ queens during hellion atks. One of my clan friends is telling me that it really isn't necessary...
CakeOrI)eath
Profile Blog Joined September 2009
United States327 Posts
April 28 2011 07:28 GMT
#8
On April 28 2011 16:21 Owarida wrote:
Just make 4 queens, 2 for larva injects, other two for ramp. You can drop mass creep tumor or use their energy for healing. You should be safe from pretty much any thing a terran can throw at you before 7mins if you have 2 blocking ramp, 1 free, and 2-3 spine crawlers.


On most maps reactor hellion hits with 4 hellions before you can get 4 queens out with speeling expo or hatch first. Blocking with those first two queens before the other two get out probably hurts your injects quite a bit (not sure as I play T). Still I guess its better than roasted drones.

Also 4 queens means a much later lair than most zergs like.
Opportunities multiply as they are seized.
ixi.genocide
Profile Blog Joined June 2010
United States981 Posts
April 28 2011 07:41 GMT
#9
http://www.sc2replayed.com/replays/169918-1v1-terran-zerg-gutterhulk

That's the replay. If there are any other things that I do wrong please let me know. I am always interested in learning.
green1bdg
Profile Joined August 2010
Poland19 Posts
April 28 2011 07:50 GMT
#10
I think that you should be fine with just three queens if you have creep connecting your main and natural expansion early enough. Just keep the third queen close to the ramp and the one in your main at bay - if you have vision of the front of your natural you should be able to form the wall in no time.

Building fourth queen seems like a waste if you don't feel obligated to due to his early air pressure or if you don't incorporate it as an integral part of your build. It also might delay your lair.
Pumped flow through veins is getting into brain. Still precious remains as painful mark.
Telefonmann
Profile Joined August 2010
Germany111 Posts
April 28 2011 07:52 GMT
#11
i always thougt the queen is longer than wide so putting her sideways onto the ramp is the trick but maybe i am wron cause i think she will turn head to head anyways when hellion arrives.. if not try it out
AnxiousHippo
Profile Blog Joined January 2011
Australia1451 Posts
April 28 2011 07:54 GMT
#12
I always use two queens to block, it's just easier that way
An apple a day keeps the Protoss away | TLHF
Malminos
Profile Joined July 2010
United States321 Posts
April 28 2011 07:58 GMT
#13
Doesn't this post go against just about every rule in the sc2 TL strategy posting guidelines?
"To dream of because become happiness "
ixi.genocide
Profile Blog Joined June 2010
United States981 Posts
April 28 2011 08:22 GMT
#14
Ok, So I don't have the luxury of playing against another terran player atm, but I did test to see if roaches could be blocked by 1 queen on shattered temple (the map I was playing) and I got 2 answers. First, on the mlg shat no, you cannot block with 1 queen. On the blizz shat you can block a roach with 1 queen and if I remember correctly roaches and hellions are the same size (matrices).
rmAmnesiac
Profile Joined January 2011
United Kingdom185 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-04-28 08:29:19
April 28 2011 08:28 GMT
#15
meh. apart from the hidden qq (why will he not have played a gamed beyond that point?), the answer you're looking for is that it takes 2 queens to block a ramp not one. to suggest that zerg can't recover from serious loss of workers is also a stupid one. in fact, it's the only race which can.
rmAmnesiac
Profile Joined January 2011
United Kingdom185 Posts
April 28 2011 08:29 GMT
#16
meh. apart from the hidden qq (why will he not have played a gamed beyond that point?), the answer you're looking for is that it takes 2 queens to block a ramp not one. to suggest that zerg can't recover from serious loss of drones is also a stupid one. in fact, it's the only race which can.
phoenixoverload
Profile Joined April 2011
United States8 Posts
April 28 2011 08:31 GMT
#17
On April 28 2011 16:54 35spike1 wrote:
I always use two queens to block, it's just easier that way


This. Also make sure you make at least a couple more for macro injects. I've seen some not used queens, instead opting for spines. It comes way too late fo early harass however.
My LIfe for Tassadar
ixi.genocide
Profile Blog Joined June 2010
United States981 Posts
April 28 2011 08:34 GMT
#18
On April 28 2011 17:28 rmAmnesiac wrote:
meh. apart from the hidden qq (why will he not have played a gamed beyond that point?), the answer you're looking for is that it takes 2 queens to block a ramp not one. to suggest that zerg can't recover from serious loss of workers is also a stupid one. in fact, it's the only race which can.


hmm? The hidden QQ was me being pissed off that my queen couldn't hold the ramp and I died a horrible hellion related death >.> And if your terran opponent is any good at all, it will be impossible to make up a 40+ drone count and still make an army. The guy I played made like 30 workers and if he had attacked 1 minute later (or if I had made my bane nest earlier) I could have won that fight. I did play the game beyond that point, I made 40 workers and 12 mutas with a paltry force of lings and died to his next push.
Arn
Profile Joined November 2010
Sweden118 Posts
April 28 2011 10:16 GMT
#19
Post a replay of a single queen succesfully blocking a ramp, please. It would be nice to see.

As for me, I usually build two queens in my nat anyway, and by the time hellions are arriving I have creep from my main to my nat, so I'll bring in my main queen aswell.
Property fightiiing! (Swe SC2 clan) | http://property-clan.com | FOR THE SWARM!
adelise
Profile Joined August 2010
85 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-04-28 10:37:09
April 28 2011 10:35 GMT
#20
http://www.gamereplays.org/starcraft2/replays.php?game=33&show=details&id=204587

at around 7:30 I believe

If properly positioned (really easy with some practice), 1 queen will 100% block all helions from entering.
1 2 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 5h 16m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
ProTech130
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 7550
Rain 1842
GuemChi 643
FanTaSy 171
sSak 48
Bale 23
Icarus 11
Dota 2
NeuroSwarm189
League of Legends
JimRising 594
Counter-Strike
Coldzera 1130
minikerr33
Super Smash Bros
hungrybox939
Mew2King57
Other Games
summit1g7732
WinterStarcraft591
C9.Mang0169
ViBE70
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick1051
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream51
[ Show 17 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Light_VIP 32
• Letter147
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• Azhi_Dahaki11
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• lizZardDota2100
League of Legends
• Lourlo1131
• Rush623
• Stunt399
Other Games
• Scarra921
• Shiphtur679
Upcoming Events
The PondCast
5h 16m
INu's Battles
6h 16m
Percival vs SHIN
Zoun vs herO
OSC
8h 16m
OSC
17h 31m
Replay Cast
18h 16m
OSC
1d 18h
Big Brain Bouts
2 days
Rex vs INexorable
GgMaChine vs HeRoMaRinE
Reynor vs herO
AI Arena Tournament
2 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
2 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
3 days
[ Show More ]
Patches Events
3 days
BSL Open Qualifier
3 days
BSL Open Qualifier
3 days
WardiTV Weekly
5 days
PiGosaur Cup
5 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
HCC Season 3
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.