• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 17:27
CEST 23:27
KST 06:27
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror6[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
Rollback Netcode in Brood War655.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 202621Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)78
StarCraft 2
General
5.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 2026 [Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)
Tourneys
RSL 2026 Offline Finals LCQ Sign-Ups $3,500 WardiTV Not-Summer Championship ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) ISSL (IntoTheTV x SOOP SC2 League): Premier
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 547 Temple Of Terror Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts
Brood War
General
Rollback Netcode in Brood War Sagi.gg Launcher Released Mineral Boosting (2 workers/patch) ChatGPT cheats at StarSkirmish SCAI tournament BW General Discussion
Tourneys
[Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Semifinal A [ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Simple Questions, Simple Answers Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do?
Other Games
General Games
Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25!
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Canadian Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
[Manga] One Piece Movie Discussion! Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread TeamLiquid Health and Fitness Initiative For 2023 MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
The Link Between Gaming and …
TrAiDoS
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 13941 users

PvZ: Stargate opening or Robo opening ?

Forum Index > Closed
Post a Reply
1 2 3 Next All
DarthLeader
Profile Joined May 2010
Canada123 Posts
October 16 2010 02:27 GMT
#1
Hi all !

1.1k Diamond protoss here and I am having some difficulty in PvZ (mostly because I have faced very few zergs until I hit diamond).

So I am wondering: in PvZ, do you prefer to do a stargate opening or a robo opening ? Why ?

Please vote AND post to explain your point of view !

Poll: In PvZ, do you open with a stargate or a robo ?

I am diamond and I open with robo in PvZ (42)
 
35%

I am diamond and I open with a stargate in PvZ (35)
 
29%

I am platinum (or lower) and I open with stargate in PvZ (22)
 
18%

I am platinum (or lower) and I open with robo in PvZ (22)
 
18%

121 total votes

Your vote: In PvZ, do you open with a stargate or a robo ?

(Vote): I am diamond and I open with a stargate in PvZ
(Vote): I am diamond and I open with robo in PvZ
(Vote): I am platinum (or lower) and I open with stargate in PvZ
(Vote): I am platinum (or lower) and I open with robo in PvZ



How big was your initial push ?
If you went stargate: how many void ray/phoenix did you have when you attacked ?
If you went robo: how many zealots/stalkers/sentry/immortals did you have when you attacked ?

DarthLeader
You will be assimilated. Resistance is futile.
piroko139
Profile Blog Joined September 2010
United States261 Posts
October 16 2010 02:45 GMT
#2
I prefer a Robo opening. It's kinda obvious with the Roach change that people are spamming Roaches (at least at the current moment), so Immortals make sense to me. Colossus are a nice addon at the end, but it isn't uncommon for me to win the game outright with a counterpush after the Roach rush. Also, Observers usually go uncontested for me, Zerg are always relunctant to morph Overseers unless they absolutely need to (Unless I simply haven't run into better Zerg yet).

I don't have a timing necessarily, but here's what I usually have when I push.

5-6 Zealots
4-5 Stalkers
1-2 Sentries
1-2 Immortals

I probably have +1 already done too.
Raislin
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
United States144 Posts
October 16 2010 02:50 GMT
#3
On October 16 2010 11:45 piroko139 wrote:
I probably have +1 already done too.


Definitely an important little note at the end of that post.

I'm still toying with my opening to figure it out. I find Robo openings have problems with muta/ling builds, but it's possible I just need better timing to hit them before the spire goes up.

I've been playing with a Stargate opening and getting 3-4 Phoenix to harass and shut down any Spire plans while I expand. After that, it's either Templar Tech or a Robo with little coming out of the Stargate at that point (my only issue with the build, but Stargate is so weak to Hydras).
GoldenH
Profile Blog Joined March 2010
1115 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-10-16 03:00:13
October 16 2010 02:56 GMT
#4
I do a stargate opening, where I go harass with my first Void Ray, and use my second for defense, or more harassment, if it is being effective. I will build 3-6 gateway units in the meantime. After my second Void Ray I build a Robo bay (I can get it quicker if i get less gateway units). Based on my first Void Ray's scouting, I decide whether I should expand now, build a second robotics facility or gateway, or get more units. After expanding I get a phoenix to scout with, instead of an observer, allowing for faster collosus/more immortals.

I like a stargate opening against zerg because it allows me to retreat my units without getting them swarmed by zerglings. This means I don't lose them after harassing, and can expand earlier. A Void Ray at my ramp will allow me to hold off any number of zerglings and roaches, though I may have to wall off in some cases. I only need a sentry against banelings. If I see a spire, I can immediately start building a second stargate and start pumping phoenix/void ray while I expand. The single robotics bay is still useful to get a collosus (since it is mutas AND lings) and observers.
"(Dudes are) not going to say "Buy this game — I cried at the end". (...) I suppose the secret is to find a game that makes you shoot eight million fuckin' dudes and then cry about how awesome it is to shoot eight million fuckin' dudes." - Tim Rogers
ForTeEscaPe
Profile Joined October 2010
United States38 Posts
October 16 2010 02:58 GMT
#5
Stalkers usually make quick work of roaches, so why not an extra void ray to pressure them to get off roaches and spend more resources tech switching?
Create your beat. Live Loud.
archon256
Profile Joined August 2010
United States363 Posts
October 16 2010 03:00 GMT
#6
Haha, I wish I knew exactly what Zerg do that makes Stargate openings so unpopular. Whenever I see a Phoenix I sigh because I'm going to have to make Hydras, which means throwing gas into units that I can't go on the offensive with (because it takes a while to spread creep far enough), and the toss will probably have Colossi out by the time I'm able to attack.

I'm so much more comfortable going Roach/ling or Muta/ling builds, which work quite nicely against Robo openings.
"The troupe is ready, the stage is set. I come to dance, the dance of death"
Raislin
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
United States144 Posts
October 16 2010 03:12 GMT
#7
On October 16 2010 12:00 archon256 wrote:
Whenever I see a Phoenix I sigh because I'm going to have to make Hydras


On October 16 2010 11:50 Raislin wrote:
3-4 Phoenix to harass and shut down any Spire plans


Simply building a stargate puts more control into your hands. The problem with stargate opening is how do we Protoss most effectively utilize that Stargate? I don't like Void Rays in this matchup because Phoenix are what shut down Mutalisks, allow you to scout effortlessly and harass annoyingly.

However, too many Phoenix becomes an auto-loss. That's why I'm toying with a two gate, one Stargate opening with 3ish Phoenix, lots of Zealots and enough Stalkers/Sentry to allow me to spend my gas and expand. I need more games to learn more about timings and weaknesses. The strengths are definitely quite apparent.
GoldenH
Profile Blog Joined March 2010
1115 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-10-16 03:20:46
October 16 2010 03:19 GMT
#8
It's called Corrupters. Equal resource of corrupters beats every protoss unit but void ray. With Void ray they are only equal, unless they run away when charged then they are better. Protoss will also be spending more money on minerals than the zerg player. If the Zerg player gets up a expo before the protoss, they will always out macro him and win if he goes stargate tech. And the Zerg player also has the micro advantage, since his units are faster, have abilities that work against air, and do splash damage. On the other hand, if the Protoss manages to delay the Zerg's expansion and expand themselves, there is a timing window they can exploit against the zerg player.
"(Dudes are) not going to say "Buy this game — I cried at the end". (...) I suppose the secret is to find a game that makes you shoot eight million fuckin' dudes and then cry about how awesome it is to shoot eight million fuckin' dudes." - Tim Rogers
Yaotzin
Profile Joined August 2010
South Africa4280 Posts
October 16 2010 03:39 GMT
#9
Phoenix, partly because mass muta is obnoxious, partly because phoenixs are great fun.
Trowabarton756
Profile Blog Joined May 2008
United States870 Posts
October 16 2010 03:40 GMT
#10
Zerg just got too many buffs making it far easier for them to just expand every game against protoss without fear of any repercussions, if they would of just upped the hp it would of been one thing, but giving them all those unit buffs was stupid too.
http://www.teamliquid.net/video/streams/Trowabarton756
Yaotzin
Profile Joined August 2010
South Africa4280 Posts
October 16 2010 03:45 GMT
#11
PvZ is still P favored...

And we can FE too yaknow :/
0mgVitaminE
Profile Joined February 2009
United States1278 Posts
October 16 2010 03:50 GMT
#12
I want to open stargate so badly, but roaches make it tough. I get a lot of basically free wins opening stargate when the z goes standard muta/ling, but recently (and it's going to be more because of 1.2) people have been pushing with roaches again.

I think robo is the better choice, for obs + immortals, but if you scout them and theyre going muta/ling I put down a stargate and slowly add pheonix, as opposed to an instant 2 gate into stargate opening that I was doing before. Zerg will eventually have to get hydras, and I can switch into collosi.
Hi there. I'm in a cave, how bout you?
awesomoecalypse
Profile Joined August 2010
United States2235 Posts
October 16 2010 03:55 GMT
#13
I've been going 2 gate into stargate, getting 4 Phoenixes, and then making a gateway push while sniping overlords with my Phoenixes--I've found that if I can kill enough OLs to supply block them while I'm pushing with gateway units, it cripples their ability to reinforce and I can roll them.
He drone drone drone. Me win. - ogsMC
Dfgj
Profile Joined May 2008
Singapore5922 Posts
October 16 2010 03:59 GMT
#14
On October 16 2010 12:00 archon256 wrote:
Haha, I wish I knew exactly what Zerg do that makes Stargate openings so unpopular. Whenever I see a Phoenix I sigh because I'm going to have to make Hydras, which means throwing gas into units that I can't go on the offensive with (because it takes a while to spread creep far enough), and the toss will probably have Colossi out by the time I'm able to attack.

I'm so much more comfortable going Roach/ling or Muta/ling builds, which work quite nicely against Robo openings.

Half the time I open Stargate, Z launches an attack with massed roaches and ends the game against my smattering of gateway units.
Yaotzin
Profile Joined August 2010
South Africa4280 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-10-16 04:12:09
October 16 2010 04:11 GMT
#15
That's what sentries are for :p Just hold your ramp. Play it like early pvt.
stealthrider
Profile Blog Joined September 2010
24 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-10-16 04:16:33
October 16 2010 04:15 GMT
#16
Bronze, I used to open stargate against Z for a quick void or two and a phoenix scout. Not so sure now though, likely going to switch to robo for the safer-scouting of an obs and faster immortals/collosi.

Usually would harrass with the rays (and perhaps phoenix) while building my gateway army, and trying to scare him into making mutas (in which case i'd continue with phoenixes) or hydras (switch tech to collossi)
vohne
Profile Joined September 2010
Philippines197 Posts
October 16 2010 04:19 GMT
#17
Protoss to protoss here, we're about the same (I'm 1150 toss). I like opening 2 gate early pressure, which forces them to get roaches quick (or mass speeds). Depending on what I see I counter, if I see mass speedlings -> VR (pheonix). If i see roaches, I throw robo down and come out with an immortal.
Tuneful
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
United States327 Posts
October 16 2010 04:24 GMT
#18
I've been opening cannons in natural or FE versus Z lately, but I loves the robo.
"I play this game for three years, twelve hours a day - I shouldn't lose to these people"
archon256
Profile Joined August 2010
United States363 Posts
October 16 2010 04:34 GMT
#19
FE gets hit hard by Roaches now, actually. Since they can hit the buildings in front of the cannon without taking any damage.
But against a Stargate build? Eh.. I dunno. I've won with a Roach push against it in the past, but there have been many instances where the Protoss just delays with Force Fields and gets out Void Rays, and also uses Graviton Beam to cut down on my Roach numbers, while his Phoenix numbers keep growing unchecked.
With Phoenix out I cant get Muta to kill the VRs, and it's hard to build up a decent Hydra force with my econ ruined...

Only times I've been able to win are when I somehow delay the Protoss long enough to get out Ultras. But that's pretty rare.

"The troupe is ready, the stage is set. I come to dance, the dance of death"
Yaotzin
Profile Joined August 2010
South Africa4280 Posts
October 16 2010 04:36 GMT
#20
Well that 1cannon FE was incredibly greedy ^_^

Can still FE and just be less greedy about it.
1 2 3 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
BSL Open Qualifier
04:00
Jungsu & Hasu #3
ZZZero.O140
LiquipediaDiscussion
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 15940
Calm 1944
Shuttle 304
White-Ra 214
Mini 171
ZZZero.O 140
Sacsri 5
Dota 2
NeuroSwarm13
League of Legends
Doublelift2370
Heroes of the Storm
Grubby4939
Other Games
summit1g7648
FrodaN2547
Liquid`RaSZi2110
fl0m1218
crisheroes291
C9.Mang0212
Pyrionflax195
Livibee191
ToD191
IndyStarCraft 174
Mew2King57
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick1004
BasetradeTV203
StarCraft 2
angryscii 32
[ Show 16 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• musti20045 39
• Adnapsc2 24
• Hupsaiya 10
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• Azhi_Dahaki43
• blackmanpl 29
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Other Games
• imaqtpie1525
• Shiphtur667
• WagamamaTV313
Upcoming Events
OSC
1h 33m
Replay Cast
1h 33m
OSC
14h 33m
WardiTV Weekly
1d 13h
PiGosaur Cup
2 days
Kung Fu Cup
2 days
The PondCast
3 days
Online Event
4 days
Korean StarCraft League
5 days
Afreeca Starleague
5 days
Rush vs Soulkey
[ Show More ]
CranKy Ducklings
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
6 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
HCC Season 3

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.