• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 14:07
CEST 20:07
KST 03:07
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)59Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1
StarCraft 2
General
[Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon
Tourneys
2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ] ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
Bot on ladder Data analysis on 8 million games BW General Discussion JaeDong's ASL S22 Ro. 8 Review Fantasy returning?
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8829 users

Portable Starcraft for Linux

Forum Index > Closed
Post a Reply
1 2 3 4 Next All
RazZziel
Profile Joined December 2008
Spain15 Posts
October 09 2010 09:12 GMT
#1
I thought some of you guys might enjoy this. It's a portable version of Starcraft for Linux. The files are both an ELF executable AND an ISO image, so you can chmod u+x it and run it, or fuseiso it and mount it. It has a minimal wine installation inside, so you should not need to have anything installed on the machine to run it, besides fuse so the executable can mount itself (which is almost always already installed).

I don't think it'll work on bnet, but may do the trick for quick LAN skirmishes. I have almost not tested them, so things might not work as they should.

ICC version: [url blocked]
monikon version: [url blocked]
This parrot is no more.
Gummy
Profile Blog Joined October 2010
United States2180 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-10-09 09:23:55
October 09 2010 09:23 GMT
#2
The last time I downloaded something from megaupload, my computer was infected with a horse porn virus, which is like a regular virus, only with horse porn.

Thus, I would appreciate it greatly if you could provide a bit more information about what, exactly, I would be downloading.

Thank you, good sir.

Edit: Linux has been good to me and if somebody can confirm that this is legit, I will be overjoyed.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ There are three kinds of people in the world: those who can count and those who can't.
kXn
Profile Joined August 2010
254 Posts
October 09 2010 10:02 GMT
#3
On October 09 2010 18:23 Gummy wrote:
The last time I downloaded something from megaupload, my computer was infected with a horse porn virus, which is like a regular virus, only with horse porn.


No offense, but LMAO
RazZziel
Profile Joined December 2008
Spain15 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-10-09 10:06:21
October 09 2010 10:05 GMT
#4
Hm, to confirm it's legit, you could mount the ISO images, go to drive_c/blahblahblah and confirm the md5 of the files in the Starcraft installation is the same as the ones in the ICC and monikon version (I got them in an old 2009 thread here, but the ICC is updated, so the Launcher.exe will be different)

Besides, the only other files that are run when the package is executed, are the AppRun, which is a bash script that creates ~/.starcraft/ and runs "wine Starcraft.exe", and wine itself, which is a minimal version of the latest wine I downloaded from ubuntu repositories (wine1.3_1.3.4-0ubuntu1~lucidppa1_i386); you can md5 all the binaries and libraries.

Then, there's only the ELF itself, which I'm not sure where it exactly comes from. It's been created using "AppImageAssistant 0.8" from http://portablelinuxapps.org/ , and you can find the source code in http://portablelinuxapps.org/source/ (looks outdated, though)

Alternatively, just burn some live USB using http://unetbootin.sourceforge.net/ and run starcraft on a read-only operative system; that way you'll be safe from any harm on the internets
This parrot is no more.
figq
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
12519 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-10-09 10:49:40
October 09 2010 10:26 GMT
#5
nvm, it's for wine, not source ofc.. thanks!
If you stand next to my head, you can hear the ocean. - Day[9]
Kms
Profile Joined September 2010
Australia126 Posts
October 09 2010 12:49 GMT
#6
On October 09 2010 18:23 Gummy wrote:
The last time I downloaded something from megaupload, my computer was infected with a horse porn virus, which is like a regular virus, only with horse porn.

Damn, a horse porn virus? I'm sorry, but ROFL! What exactly were you trying to download in the first place?
konadora *
Profile Blog Joined February 2009
Singapore66365 Posts
October 09 2010 13:17 GMT
#7
On October 09 2010 18:23 Gummy wrote:
The last time I downloaded something from megaupload, my computer was infected with a horse porn virus, which is like a regular virus, only with horse porn.

oh god i lol'd
POGGERS
letian
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
Germany4221 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-10-09 13:45:02
October 09 2010 13:40 GMT
#8
On October 09 2010 18:12 RazZziel wrote:
I thought some of you guys might enjoy this. It's a portable version of Starcraft for Linux. The files are both an ELF executable AND an ISO image, so you can chmod u+x it and run it, or fuseiso it and mount it. It has a minimal wine installation inside, so you should not need to have anything installed on the machine to run it, besides fuse so the executable can mount itself (which is almost always already installed).

I don't think it'll work on bnet, but may do the trick for quick LAN skirmishes. I have almost not tested them, so things might not work as they should.

ICC version: [url blocked]
monikon version: [url blocked]


Starcraft runs on Linux without any tricks, just install wine or play on linux. I doubt that you will be able to play your games in battlenet, I didn't try anyway, cause Starcarft runs in wine like chit,its choppy and slow, widescreen users will play a widescreen starcraft, that should be configured separately, well all in all its a Pain in the ass, so I never bother to setup any games under Linux except for textmode quests. Instead I left some space for my windows partition, and happily dualboot.
But still thanks, I will keep in it in mind.
waxypants
Profile Blog Joined September 2009
United States479 Posts
October 09 2010 14:12 GMT
#9
On October 09 2010 21:49 Kms wrote:
Show nested quote +
On October 09 2010 18:23 Gummy wrote:
The last time I downloaded something from megaupload, my computer was infected with a horse porn virus, which is like a regular virus, only with horse porn.

Damn, a horse porn virus? I'm sorry, but ROFL! What exactly were you trying to download in the first place?


Probably just the horse porn without the virus.
Kms
Profile Joined September 2010
Australia126 Posts
October 09 2010 15:07 GMT
#10
On October 09 2010 23:12 waxypants wrote:
Show nested quote +
On October 09 2010 21:49 Kms wrote:
On October 09 2010 18:23 Gummy wrote:
The last time I downloaded something from megaupload, my computer was infected with a horse porn virus, which is like a regular virus, only with horse porn.

Damn, a horse porn virus? I'm sorry, but ROFL! What exactly were you trying to download in the first place?


Probably just the horse porn without the virus.

I think you're onto something there...
Aim Here
Profile Blog Joined December 2009
Scotland672 Posts
October 09 2010 15:39 GMT
#11
On October 09 2010 22:40 letian wrote:

Starcraft runs on Linux without any tricks, just install wine or play on linux. I doubt that you will be able to play your games in battlenet, I didn't try anyway, cause Starcarft runs in wine like chit,its choppy and slow, widescreen users will play a widescreen starcraft, that should be configured separately, well all in all its a Pain in the ass, so I never bother to setup any games under Linux except for textmode quests. Instead I left some space for my windows partition, and happily dualboot.
But still thanks, I will keep in it in mind.


I have to say, after a little bit of registry tweaking and the like, Starcraft BroodWar ran almost perfectly for me, except that the Battlenet menus were messed up somewhat (and even then, there was a patch that could make a fix of sorts for that). I was happily playing BW on iCCUp (badly) right until Starcraft 2 came out.

There are so many factors that can affect the performance (your operating system, graphics card, driver versions library versions, what Wine registry entries you use, what version of wine you use - there are still bugs being inserted and removed that affect Starcraft performance) that saying a sweeping generalisation like 'Starcraft runs in wine like shit' is almost certainly going to be wrong.

The worst (or best) you can really say is that your mileage may vary. I find BroodWar works well for me under Linux.
niteReloaded
Profile Blog Joined February 2007
Croatia5282 Posts
October 09 2010 15:59 GMT
#12
On October 09 2010 23:12 waxypants wrote:
Show nested quote +
On October 09 2010 21:49 Kms wrote:
On October 09 2010 18:23 Gummy wrote:
The last time I downloaded something from megaupload, my computer was infected with a horse porn virus, which is like a regular virus, only with horse porn.

Damn, a horse porn virus? I'm sorry, but ROFL! What exactly were you trying to download in the first place?


Probably just the horse porn without the virus.

rofl
RazZziel
Profile Joined December 2008
Spain15 Posts
October 09 2010 16:48 GMT
#13
On October 10 2010 00:39 Aim Here wrote:There are so many factors that can affect the performance (your operating system, graphics card, driver versions library versions, what Wine registry entries you use, what version of wine you use - there are still bugs being inserted and removed that affect Starcraft performance) that saying a sweeping generalisation like 'Starcraft runs in wine like shit' is almost certainly going to be wrong.


Do you know what registry tweaks and wine version work best with BW? The beauty of these packages is we can embed the wine version and registry tweaks we want, and they'll be the same on every machine, disregarding the installed version of Wine, etc. We could even use different registry settings for nvidia and amd users, use tweaks for widescreen users, etc.

Also hoers pron thread =|
This parrot is no more.
Archaic
Profile Blog Joined March 2008
United States4024 Posts
October 09 2010 17:48 GMT
#14
On October 10 2010 00:59 niteReloaded wrote:
Show nested quote +
On October 09 2010 23:12 waxypants wrote:
On October 09 2010 21:49 Kms wrote:
On October 09 2010 18:23 Gummy wrote:
The last time I downloaded something from megaupload, my computer was infected with a horse porn virus, which is like a regular virus, only with horse porn.

Damn, a horse porn virus? I'm sorry, but ROFL! What exactly were you trying to download in the first place?


Probably just the horse porn without the virus.

rofl

Ahahaha, wow. This thread took an unexpected turn.
Boundz(DarKo)
Profile Joined March 2009
5311 Posts
October 09 2010 17:53 GMT
#15
On October 10 2010 02:48 Archaic wrote:
Show nested quote +
On October 10 2010 00:59 niteReloaded wrote:
On October 09 2010 23:12 waxypants wrote:
On October 09 2010 21:49 Kms wrote:
On October 09 2010 18:23 Gummy wrote:
The last time I downloaded something from megaupload, my computer was infected with a horse porn virus, which is like a regular virus, only with horse porn.

Damn, a horse porn virus? I'm sorry, but ROFL! What exactly were you trying to download in the first place?


Probably just the horse porn without the virus.

rofl

Ahahaha, wow. This thread took an unexpected turn.

That's what the foal said.
xxpack09
Profile Blog Joined September 2010
United States2160 Posts
October 09 2010 17:56 GMT
#16
On October 09 2010 18:23 Gummy wrote:
The last time I downloaded something from megaupload, my computer was infected with a horse porn virus, which is like a regular virus, only with horse porn.

Thus, I would appreciate it greatly if you could provide a bit more information about what, exactly, I would be downloading.

Thank you, good sir.

Edit: Linux has been good to me and if somebody can confirm that this is legit, I will be overjoyed.


hahhahahahahahahahhaha

how did you get rid of it?
Toadily
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
United States837 Posts
October 09 2010 18:06 GMT
#17
I need a copy of that horse porn virus..

what for? uh.. research..
Gummy
Profile Blog Joined October 2010
United States2180 Posts
October 09 2010 18:09 GMT
#18
So has anybody bothered to try this?
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ There are three kinds of people in the world: those who can count and those who can't.
kingjames01
Profile Blog Joined April 2009
Canada1603 Posts
October 09 2010 18:12 GMT
#19
Try what? Downloading horse porn virus?
Who would sup with the mighty, must walk the path of daggers.
Gummy
Profile Blog Joined October 2010
United States2180 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-10-09 18:19:19
October 09 2010 18:17 GMT
#20
Dear Sirs and Madams,

It disappoints me that, while I did bring up a legitimate concern, nobody has so much as given the time of day to what could potentially be a wonderful resource to those peoples in the community that uses Linux and can't get BW to work properly for the life of them.

In fact, since my post describing the tragic events that had, at some point, befallen me, none of you have even responded to the content of the OP and have continued to circle-jerk in what you guys seem to have misinterpreted as a naughty joke.

I'm new here, so I can only presume how things run around here based on the handful of threads I've seen and the amazingly well-written commandments, but this community does not seem like one that would either:
1.) Leave an OP offering malicious software open... or
2.) Spend 100% of the responses in a thread rambling off topic.

What is this? Reddit?

Thanks for your time and consideration.




Edit:
So apparently, this is just a CD-rip and thus, this thread should be closed immediately since this is in clear violation of copyright policies, and since TL does not harbor pirates.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ There are three kinds of people in the world: those who can count and those who can't.
1 2 3 4 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Stellar Fest
22:00
Stellar Fest 2 The Moon: Qualifier Day 3
IntoTheiNu 1056
SteadfastSC922
ComeBackTV 910
TaKeTV 682
IndyStarCraft 271
Rex115
EnkiAlexander 83
LiquipediaDiscussion
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
SteadfastSC 908
IndyStarCraft 271
ProTech131
Rex 115
UpATreeSC 69
BRAT_OK 43
MindelVK 22
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 33133
Shuttle 798
Mini 404
Rush 149
Hyuk 129
Dewaltoss 114
firebathero 92
Trap 51
ToSsGirL 30
Bale 23
[ Show more ]
Sacsri 20
Rock 15
Shine 14
White-Ra 3
Dota 2
Gorgc8193
qojqva1721
Counter-Strike
fl0m1569
Fnx 867
Super Smash Bros
Mew2King73
Heroes of the Storm
crisheroes1542
Khaldor1264
Liquid`Hasu241
Other Games
summit1g2076
FrodaN1643
Beastyqt469
XBOCT260
Mlord245
DeMusliM197
ArmadaUGS171
KnowMe143
C9.Mang0135
QueenE94
XaKoH 91
CosmosSc2 15
Organizations
Other Games
BasetradeTV259
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream65
[ Show 16 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Berry_CruncH315
• StrangeGG 45
• Hinosc 21
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• Michael_bg 10
• 80smullet 9
• FirePhoenix9
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Other Games
• imaqtpie728
• Shiphtur338
Upcoming Events
OSC
3h 53m
CranKy Ducklings
15h 53m
Online Event
16h 53m
FEL
21h 53m
AI Arena Tournament
22h 53m
BSL: Ladder Tournament
1d
Sparkling Tuna Cup
1d 15h
INu's Battles
1d 17h
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
BSL Open Qualifier
2 days
BSL Open Qualifier
2 days
[ Show More ]
Replay Cast
2 days
Afreeca Starleague
2 days
Rush vs Light
WardiTV Weekly
2 days
Monday Night Weeklies
2 days
Replay Cast
3 days
Afreeca Starleague
3 days
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
3 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
4 days
The PondCast
5 days
INu's Battles
5 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-30
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.