• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 19:52
CEST 01:52
KST 08:52
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
Rollback Netcode in Brood War575.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 202621Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)78
StarCraft 2
General
5.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 2026 [Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)
Tourneys
$3,500 WardiTV Not-Summer Championship ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event RSL 2026 Offline Finals LCQ Sign-Ups Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) ISSL (IntoTheTV x SOOP SC2 League): Premier
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
Rollback Netcode in Brood War BGH Auto Balance -> http://bghmmr.eu/ Repalyzer - replay analysis app for StarCraft: Rem Fantasy returning? TL Sidebar missing streams
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Simple Questions, Simple Answers Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do?
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
[Manga] One Piece Movie Discussion! Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread TeamLiquid Health and Fitness Initiative For 2023 MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8292 users

[Q] Training With An A.I

Forum Index > Brood War Strategy
Post a Reply
1 2 3 Next All
genryou
Profile Blog Joined February 2009
Malaysia390 Posts
June 03 2009 01:29 GMT
#1
First of all, thanks for reading this.

Problem:
I,m currently at my parents' house, 2 1/2 month semester break, no internet connection, no SC, I can't improve.

So, I thought of training with SC A.I. (Entropy, Racine Rebel), I usually play melee
1vs2 Protoss, 1vs3 Protoss, and 1vs1 for build practice

Question
- Can I improve my game sense and mechanic by playing against A.I.? Because most of the time I,m practically just turtled in my main to defends against the rush.
- The rush usually came after 4-5 minutes into the game, consist of dozen of zealot and 5-6 dragoon, playing against this every single day, can it help me defends against cheese by real player?
- I usually went 21/ expo, but against the A.I. extremely early DT rush, i usually either go for mines upgrade or ebay first. So, how much of this can help me against the real DT rush? Does the timing I used against the A.I. will be relevant against real player?
- 3 A.I usually can be compared with which ICCUP rank? C-? D+? D? or is it nothing compared to even D-?

Other Information
- I,m a Terran player.
- TvP is my weakest match up
- I usually played in Garena, and just recently change to ICCUP.
- Nobody in the radius of 25km around my neighbourhood played SC.

I, Challenge Everything
redneck_mike
Profile Blog Joined May 2009
United States124 Posts
June 03 2009 01:36 GMT
#2
I'll make a post about this later.

For build order, play a custom game.

For fighting, play campaign, preferably the late bw missions, as you are put in a weaker position than the enemy, and thus you have to build up. Plus, they never give you a decent amount of drones, so work on that too.

I'll give you a list once my seven-day noob period is over.
im the only person i know of to overuse scouts
FoBuLouS
Profile Blog Joined September 2008
United States570 Posts
June 03 2009 01:50 GMT
#3
You could do the practice drill where you play against a computer and just focus on your macro. That will help your macro out. Try to maintain a consistent apm and keep your minerals under a certain number. Once you beat that goal, set the bars higher.
Could also work on build orders and that stuff.
And if you're bored you could always play those UMS micro maps.
AzureEye
Profile Blog Joined December 2008
United States1360 Posts
June 03 2009 02:01 GMT
#4
Hotkey practice, macro practice and multitasking practice (keep your scouting SCV alive while you do all this)

And specific build orders

I think thats the most you can get out of playing computers
Terrans who whine: http://www.teamliquid.net/blogs/viewblog.php?topic_id=107788
MoRe_mInErAls
Profile Blog Joined November 2007
Canada1210 Posts
Last Edited: 2009-06-03 02:02:18
June 03 2009 02:01 GMT
#5
The computer is a formidable foe. The dreaded 2-gate 12-zealot timing push has slain countless C Zergs.
T.O.P. *
Profile Blog Joined January 2009
Hong Kong4685 Posts
June 03 2009 02:13 GMT
#6
The computer is nothing close to a human player. The timings are totally different. Computers don't do standard builds and they can't think like a human player can. Just play on iccup.
If you just played against computers, you're D-.
Oracle comes in, Scvs go down, never a miscommunication.
genryou
Profile Blog Joined February 2009
Malaysia390 Posts
June 03 2009 02:33 GMT
#7
For fighting, play campaign, preferably the late bw missions, as you are put in a weaker position than the enemy, and thus you have to build up. Plus, they never give you a decent amount of drones, so work on that too.


Yeah, i usually train with that too. I,m trying too kept playing under pressure so that I can withstand cheese and rush from real player in the future.

Try to maintain a consistent apm and keep your minerals under a certain number.


Well, the thing is, it was really hard for me to keep the minerals under 300 when playing a handicap match, the rush only stop for less then a 30-ish seconds, and when it come, I need to focus on my unit micro.

I once tried going for 2 racks, 3 bunkers at nat with SCV constantly repairing it, I managed to succesfully defend against all the rush but somehow it make me worried that doing such a weird build will mess up my game sense.

I usually go either for strong FD, 5-fact or Flash build but only 5 fact build work against the constant rush.

The computer is nothing close to a human player. The timings are totally different. Computers don't do standard builds and they can't think like a human player can. Just play on iccup.
If you just played against computers, you're D-.


Well, i,m aware of that but you see, I can't play on ICCUP without Internet connection, no matter how much i wanted too.

So, I,m training with the A.I. to improve my basic (Macro,micro,hotkeys,low mineral,build order)

and I thought Entropy A.I. is good enough for basic training since it used the exact build, or am i wrong?
I, Challenge Everything
KO_SharpMind
Profile Joined January 2009
Canada277 Posts
June 03 2009 02:47 GMT
#8


and I thought Entropy A.I. is good enough for basic training since it used the exact build, or am i wrong?



Entropy A.I. is a good tool, for practicing without an internet connection, probably one of the best ways I know.

That AI also has a bunch of default Builds, so U can get a variety of plays. Its better than the orginal BW AI but not as good as a Human player.

The best thing to do is to play a 1v1 against it, and if you find yourself winning easily and at a consistent rate, then start doing 1v2 and so on.

1v2 and up may not be the ideal situation in a standard game but it can teach you to play under pressure.

I find myself using Entropy AI whenever I don't feeling like going on ICCUP or BNET. It can be a good practice tool if used correctly.
Act the way you'd like to be, and soon you'll be the way you act.
Rotodyne
Profile Blog Joined July 2005
United States2263 Posts
June 03 2009 02:52 GMT
#9
Although you won't learn 'game sense' you can definitely improve macro and micro and increase your usefulness of apm.
I can only play starcraft when I am shit canned. IPXZERG is a god.
genryou
Profile Blog Joined February 2009
Malaysia390 Posts
June 03 2009 02:58 GMT
#10
I see. Thanks for the info.

I guess I,ll just stick with Entropy A.I. for now.
I, Challenge Everything
Nevuk
Profile Blog Joined March 2009
United States16280 Posts
June 03 2009 03:07 GMT
#11
A good way to build your multitask to is to do worker harass with your scouting worker for 1v3, go up to one of their probes and they'll all hop off the worker lines and chase you around, you can basically take out one computer this way but you'll sacrifice a considerable amount of your attention and apm.
KO_SharpMind
Profile Joined January 2009
Canada277 Posts
June 03 2009 03:13 GMT
#12
http://www.broodwarai.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=311

This is the link to the latest version if u need it
Act the way you'd like to be, and soon you'll be the way you act.
eX-Corgh
Profile Joined October 2007
Russian Federation386 Posts
June 03 2009 04:58 GMT
#13
On June 03 2009 10:29 genryou wrote:
First of all, thanks for reading this.

Problem:
I,m currently at my parents' house, 2 1/2 month semester break, no internet connection, no SC, I can't improve.

So, I thought of training with SC A.I. (Entropy, Racine Rebel), I usually play melee
1vs2 Protoss, 1vs3 Protoss, and 1vs1 for build practice

Question
- Can I improve my game sense and mechanic by playing against A.I.? Because most of the time I,m practically just turtled in my main to defends against the rush.
- The rush usually came after 4-5 minutes into the game, consist of dozen of zealot and 5-6 dragoon, playing against this every single day, can it help me defends against cheese by real player?
- I usually went 21/ expo, but against the A.I. extremely early DT rush, i usually either go for mines upgrade or ebay first. So, how much of this can help me against the real DT rush? Does the timing I used against the A.I. will be relevant against real player?
- 3 A.I usually can be compared with which ICCUP rank? C-? D+? D? or is it nothing compared to even D-?

Other Information
- I,m a Terran player.
- TvP is my weakest match up
- I usually played in Garena, and just recently change to ICCUP.
- Nobody in the radius of 25km around my neighbourhood played SC.



Usually, playing vs bot is a bad idea. The only thing you can improve by doing it is to get familiar with using hotkeys and macro.

Bots a below D-. They always do the same thing, don't macro, don't micro, build stuff in random locations and are extremely stupid. All they can do is to attack you with 12 zealots. They can't even DT rush properly.
Never give cheese to the Gorilla ^^
GHOSTCLAW
Profile Blog Joined February 2008
United States17042 Posts
June 03 2009 05:01 GMT
#14
Playing against any of the AI's is good, and then just continue to add the AI's to get better. Start with one, and when you start winning 1v3 with mnm only you know that you're the next boxer ^^ more seriously though, I think that's the best kind of training that you're going to be able to get without a practice partner
PhotographerLiquipedia. Drop me a pm if you've got questions/need help.
genryou
Profile Blog Joined February 2009
Malaysia390 Posts
June 03 2009 06:50 GMT
#15
Usually, playing vs bot is a bad idea. The only thing you can improve by doing it is to get familiar with using hotkeys and macro.


Haha, its okay because for me improving my basic is the most important atm, it just that I,m worried whether practicing with A.I. can help me against real player at all.

Anyway, after creating this topic, I no longer have doubt, I,ll just keep training with Entropy.

when you start winning 1v3 with mnm only you know that you're the next boxer


heh, I,ll take that as my next goal.
I, Challenge Everything
Husky
Profile Blog Joined May 2009
United States3362 Posts
June 03 2009 16:40 GMT
#16
On June 03 2009 11:01 MoRe_mInErAls wrote:
The computer is a formidable foe. The dreaded 2-gate 12-zealot timing push has slain countless C Zergs.


This.
Commentaries: youtube.com/HuskyStarcraft
Piy
Profile Blog Joined January 2008
Scotland3152 Posts
June 03 2009 17:08 GMT
#17
blank map practice bo's gogogo

I do this alot anyway cause the internet where i stay is laggy during the day (too many people )

Watch reps, learn build timings for builds, learn to adapt your builds. Learn new builds. play in chaos so you get that clock during games and can learn and write down timings. Can you block rushes at different points?

Loads of stuff you can do without a connection

Don't play against the AI though, thats stupid.
My. Copy. Is. Here.
sixghost
Profile Blog Joined November 2007
United States2096 Posts
June 03 2009 17:32 GMT
#18
Look for some good micro maps. There's a really cool defiler zvt micro map that simulates late game zvt pretty well. You have to macro off 3-4 bases, and kill setups of T units. There's a harder version where you'll even get countered alot.

Depending on how much you know about the matchups, you can just simulate what would be going on at certain points in the game. I used to play ZvT against the computer and run through a typical ZvT. It can actually help alot with multitasking while mutaing, and constantly leapfrogging lurkers back and forth.

For TvP, you would benefit alot from just drilling BOs a ton, and practicing pushing correctly. Micro maps would help a lot for TvZ

The only other thing I can think of is using reps to find of certain attacks, like dt drop after expo, reaver before expo etc. And practicing your build orders to deflect those in time.

Search around for some good micro maps for Terran, I know I had a few that were pretty fun. There's a ton of stuff you can do to make yourself better at SC without being able to play other people, it's just stuff that gets kinda boring after a while.
mG.sixghost @ iCCup || One ling, two ling, three ling, four... Camp four gas, then ultra-whore . -Saracen
parkin
Profile Blog Joined July 2007
1091 Posts
June 03 2009 18:03 GMT
#19
Practicing new build orders against an AI until you you can perform them perfectly is good.

Of course it wont train you how to react against certain cheese or harrasments or unique situatinos that other human players may throw at you.


mostly harmless
arb
Profile Blog Joined April 2008
Noobville17922 Posts
June 03 2009 20:41 GMT
#20
do the 300/300 challenge
Artillery spawned from the forges of Hell
1 2 3 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
BSL: Ladder Tournament
04:00
#3 - $100
LiquipediaDiscussion
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft: Brood War
Leta 464
Hyun 140
Dota 2
monkeys_forever485
League of Legends
Doublelift3902
Other Games
summit1g12071
JimRising 468
ViBE265
Livibee189
KnowMe184
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick895
BasetradeTV188
[ Show 13 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Hupsaiya 145
• Adnapsc2 37
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Other Games
• imaqtpie976
• Scarra894
• Shiphtur569
Upcoming Events
Sparkling Tuna Cup
10h 9m
Patches Events
15h 9m
BSL Open Qualifier
19h 9m
BSL Open Qualifier
19h 9m
OSC
23h 9m
OSC
1d 12h
WardiTV Weekly
2 days
PiGosaur Cup
3 days
The PondCast
4 days
Online Event
5 days
[ Show More ]
Korean StarCraft League
6 days
Afreeca Starleague
6 days
Rush vs Soulkey
CranKy Ducklings
6 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
HCC Season 3
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.