• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 20:49
CEST 02:49
KST 09:49
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup3StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)64Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Awesome/Confusing SC2 BM SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup [Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ]
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
JaeDong's ASL S22 Ro. 8 Review Bot on ladder Data analysis on 8 million games BW General Discussion Fantasy returning?
Tourneys
[Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8095 users

Basic Starcraft Questions

Forum Index > Brood War Strategy
Post a Reply
1 2 Next All
TheGreatOne
Profile Joined November 2005
United States534 Posts
August 16 2006 13:32 GMT
#1
I was wondering where do the majority of people put there left hand during a starcraft game? I have seen pro's put there main fingers on the 1234 keys and pinkie close to the ctrl key.. I have always put my left hand on the key strokes because its easier to move around but do most people just use the mouse to scroll around and use there left hand just on the keyboard? I have also heard that boxer uses the key strokes as well can someone varify this ?
Protoss has always been the strongest race and always will be!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
bine
Profile Blog Joined April 2005
United States2352 Posts
August 16 2006 13:34 GMT
#2
i always rest my left hand on the homerow (ASDF).
skyglow1
Profile Blog Joined April 2005
New Zealand3962 Posts
August 16 2006 13:36 GMT
#3
My left hand is always moving around when I'm playing.
IntoTheWow
Profile Blog Joined May 2004
is awesome32282 Posts
August 16 2006 13:37 GMT
#4
I used to play FPS a lot, so instead of using my hand "floating" like most pros do (float hand and all fingers smashing keys) i rest my hand on the keyboard edge and play mostly with my hand there unless i have to use further hotkeys, but everytime i go back to 1234 as t r sz (some sued hotkeys) i rest my hand there
Moderator<:3-/-<
TheGreatOne
Profile Joined November 2005
United States534 Posts
August 16 2006 13:43 GMT
#5
So no one really uses the key pad ? lol
Protoss has always been the strongest race and always will be!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Manifesto7
Profile Blog Joined November 2002
Osaka27178 Posts
August 16 2006 13:53 GMT
#6
Boxer uses the arrow keys when microing.
ModeratorGodfather
micronesia
Profile Blog Joined July 2006
United States24801 Posts
August 16 2006 14:41 GMT
#7
I have middle finger on 'a' key, fourth finger on shift key, pinky on cntrl key. I then use my middle or index finger to reach 1-6. I don't even know just by thinking about it what I do for 8-0 but I rarely use them.
ModeratorThere are animal crackers for people and there are people crackers for animals.
da)incognito
Profile Joined October 2003
United States512 Posts
August 16 2006 16:24 GMT
#8
on the mouse, im left-handed =0

for the other hand, my index finger rests on the 'a' or 's' key while the other fingers are on the number keys
*insert witty comment*
M7Excellence
Profile Joined June 2006
United States227 Posts
August 16 2006 16:32 GMT
#9
There was a large thread on this topic but it might have been on PGT. Well one of the things that many people said that they do, including me, is that they use the underside of the pinky nuckle to press CRTL. Instead of using your pinky you can try that. Also there was a vod that highlighted Ogogo's left hand during micro. So try to find that vod. I am not going to repeat all the things that people talked about in the other post about this so gl.
You do not know what you do not know that is why you do not have. If you knew what you new then you would have. Because to know and not to do is not to know.
spammerA
Profile Joined July 2006
China355 Posts
August 16 2006 16:53 GMT
#10
I dont get boxer's arrow keys usage, i saw it in that keyboard view VS junwi too, it didnt make much sense to me, still dont; me thinks, while microing, things like A and 1-6 are more important than moving screens with arrow keys, you can do it perfectly fine with mouse and some pros dont even use the fastest mouse scroll speed (looking at July's game vs Nada on Rush Hour, forgot which MSL though, 5th?). but then boxer is so many times better than us all, so it has to suit him in some way
thedeadhaji *
Profile Blog Joined January 2006
39489 Posts
August 16 2006 17:55 GMT
#11
boxer uses the arrows for

scouting
intense micro

mouse scroll forces you to place the cursor away from your units, so you lose that slight amount of control, i guess.
Eagleheart
Profile Joined January 2006
Sweden776 Posts
August 16 2006 18:18 GMT
#12
Yea it sure does thedeadhaji, but it would require alot of practice to be good at it.

It also seems like a thing of the past, when sc was more micro oriented.
KrAzYfoOL
Profile Blog Joined September 2005
Australia3037 Posts
August 16 2006 19:47 GMT
#13
Boxer's not the only one to do it, he just uses the arrow keys alot
It's better to burn out than to fade away
lakrismamma
Profile Joined August 2006
Sweden543 Posts
August 16 2006 19:52 GMT
#14
For me it depends. In the start of a game I have my pinkey on B and my pointig figer on P. Thats because I play toss and thats the keys I use most in the begining.

Then i probably move my hand more towards the 1234 keys where I keep my units.

I got to get better using the F-keys though I think that would help a lot.
I hear thunder but theres no rain. This type of thunder breaks walls and window panes.
Twisted
Profile Blog Joined September 2002
Netherlands13554 Posts
Last Edited: 2006-08-16 19:59:56
August 16 2006 19:59 GMT
#15
On August 16 2006 22:34 bine wrote:
i always rest my left hand on the homerow (ASDF).


oh to clarify, I've had typing lessons, and they teach you to put your fingers on ASDF and JKL;, and thumbs on the spacebar

that's probably why I do that, helps me find the right keys faster too
Moderator
intrigue
Profile Blog Joined November 2005
Washington, D.C9935 Posts
August 16 2006 21:00 GMT
#16
On August 16 2006 23:41 micronesia wrote:
I have middle finger on 'a' key, fourth finger on shift key, pinky on cntrl key. I then use my middle or index finger to reach 1-6. I don't even know just by thinking about it what I do for 8-0 but I rarely use them.


that sounds so awkward X_X
8-0 nexus no? 0p9p8p0p9p8p
Moderatorsloppy little slug
diverse
Profile Joined August 2006
Australia72 Posts
August 16 2006 21:08 GMT
#17
On August 17 2006 04:47 KrAzYfoOL wrote:
Boxer's not the only one to do it, he just uses the arrow keys alot


I think IntoTheRainbow does it as well. But I still don't know the real use of scrolling with arrow keys, I think mouse scroll is better (for me).
JonnyDublin
Profile Joined September 2005
89 Posts
August 16 2006 21:11 GMT
#18
On August 17 2006 06:00 intrigue wrote:
Show nested quote +
On August 16 2006 23:41 micronesia wrote:
I have middle finger on 'a' key, fourth finger on shift key, pinky on cntrl key. I then use my middle or index finger to reach 1-6. I don't even know just by thinking about it what I do for 8-0 but I rarely use them.


that sounds so awkward X_X
8-0 nexus no? 0p9p8p0p9p8p



That is also what i do when playing protoss...

But I am a terran player so my fingers are on the ASDF keys.. much easier.
MyLittlePwny
Profile Joined July 2006
Canada171 Posts
August 16 2006 21:57 GMT
#19
As a Random user at game start i have left index on P and left pinky on S ring finger on 5key and middle on 7 if i get T or Z my left hand usually hovers around the 123qweasd keys if i get toss i usually maintin the orignal position because of my weird hot keys, 5-0 is buildings for toss but when im z or t 12345 is buildings
When all else fails, Blame the guy who cant speak english.
evanthebouncy!
Profile Blog Joined June 2006
United States12815 Posts
August 16 2006 22:08 GMT
#20
I think I'll try to use mouse left handed... Hotkey with your right hand feels so insanely good for some reason... Look how your thumb falls naturally on contrl while all other fingers fall naturally on the numbers!
But How am I to use left handed mouse? Impossible
Life is run, it is dance, it is fast, passionate and BAM!, you dance and sing and booze while you can for now is the time and time is mine. Smile and laugh when still can for now is the time and soon you die!
1 2 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
The PiG Daily
08:00
Best Games of SC
BASILISK vs T1
Maru vs Clem
Serral vs herO
Clem vs SHIN
PiGStarcraft481
LiquipediaDiscussion
OSC
07:00
Masters Cup #151: Group B
davetesta19
Liquipedia
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
PiGStarcraft481
WinterStarcraft157
StarCraft: Brood War
Shuttle 332
White-Ra 165
Noble 86
Hyuk 61
NaDa 57
Bale 20
Dota 2
NeuroSwarm138
League of Legends
Doublelift4063
Counter-Strike
taco 178
minikerr20
Super Smash Bros
hungrybox509
Heroes of the Storm
Khaldor641
Other Games
summit1g7129
FrodaN1677
Coldzera 824
JimRising 579
C9.Mang0277
KnowMe158
ArmadaUGS66
ViBE66
Mew2King53
CosmosSc2 10
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick791
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream91
[ Show 10 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Hupsaiya 110
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• masondota2890
Upcoming Events
CranKy Ducklings
9h 11m
Online Event
10h 11m
FEL
15h 11m
AI Arena Tournament
16h 11m
BSL: Ladder Tournament
18h 11m
Sparkling Tuna Cup
1d 9h
INu's Battles
1d 11h
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
BSL Open Qualifier
1d 18h
BSL Open Qualifier
1d 18h
Replay Cast
1d 23h
[ Show More ]
Afreeca Starleague
2 days
Rush vs Light
WardiTV Weekly
2 days
Monday Night Weeklies
2 days
Afreeca Starleague
3 days
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
3 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
3 days
The PondCast
5 days
INu's Battles
5 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-10-02
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.