• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 15:00
CEST 21:00
KST 04:00
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror2[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup8StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)67Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2316
StarCraft 2
General
How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) Back to SC2 after 14 years - Protoss CTRL groups? October World Ranking: herO stays #1, ByuN returns
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ]
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
Fantasy returning? Sagi.gg Launcher Released BW General Discussion PLAYzone Challenge - open offline tour in Prague 20-year-old Valorant player starting StarCraft
Tourneys
[Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 2v2v2v2 Tournament [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 9403 users

The Golden Door

Forum Index > BW General
Post a Reply
GeckoXp
Profile Blog Joined June 2013
Germany2016 Posts
Last Edited: 2014-12-14 23:06:36
December 06 2014 17:22 GMT
#1


In last December the Swedish Brood War Initiative handed out awards for Brood War community members. One of them came a bit as of a surprise on this site, or at least was unknown to many: (Wiki)Idegel aka. Zolotoi. He was mainly voted for by many of his Russian colleagues over at Defiler. This door is all about that guy.

You might not know much of him yet, as he doesn't post a lot on Teamliquid. Futhermore, we all know the downsides of being a good Russian player – Russia had so many top rated foreigners only their very best stood out. We tend to „only“ remember the likes of an Androide, Advokate or Brat_OK. Yet, Zolotoi himself is anything but bad. Aside from that, he's Defiler's go-to guy for SOSPA Coverage. If you think TL.net's Live Report threads or hype articles were good, you should probably double check how fancy zolotoi's posts are.

All that doesn't really explain why many thought his stream was more entertaining than most others. It's not only that he plays a ton of ultra aggressive strategies and also tries to take down the occasional professional over at Fish, it's more about... the exotic nature of his play at times. Let's just leave this picture here.



The genuine look of surprise after playing Zolotoi


So, today's door is about our new Russian friend. He's agreed to give a small interview, even though not speaking the best of English. Moreover, he also took some time and collected some of his more interesting games from Fish, which we added as download. Sit back and enjoy!


Let's start. Please introduce yourself - name, age and so on.

I'm Zolotoi. Or Idegel.


Since when do you play Brood War? What were your first clans?

I started to play online in 2006 on the Russian server „Podolks“. My first cla was [ScWc], I think about 30% of the Russian community was in this clan

Then I started to play on PGT (around season 4 or maybe 5) and changed to pAq and later to my third clan – the Belarussian Team [uTm]

I played very actively in between 2006 and 2007 and finished in Febrary 2008.


You're a very active user of defiler.ru. Obviously, you did pick up Brood War after the StarCraft II beta again. When did you return and why?

After 2011. I have seen some „Yoda“ actions and Defiler.ru Tours. Also, my real life friend (Wiki)Gargoyle won some of them. This was all interesting, so I started to play again

I also played a game of StarCraft 2. Then I was finished with this game.


Can you tell us a little more about Dima/Gargoyle? Many of us don't know him, even though he showed great performances in the Defiler Tournaments.

I think I can only list some known facts. He's oldschool. When he studied in Russia (Novosibirsk), he played Brood War at LANs and online. In Novosibirsk he took on members from teams like [S2], [3D] and [A2]. He never played in famous teams, I remember him being in qG., in which he never lost any clan war game (WGTCL and maybe others?).

I can't really recall where I met him first, but it was for some LAN – be it a WCG preliminary or some other LAN, doesn't matter. He was a really good player, used aggressive strategies and won a lot of online tournaments as well. He always scored points for his teams – qG., bst, FR. Today he's living Kazakhstan.


You're also a solid player. You even won a Defiler Tournament, which not many players could do. What were your best results in Brood War? How good do you think you are?

Hmmm. I'm not solid. When I won the Defiler Tour, it was quite possibly a happenstance of planets alligning perfectly, which then supported me with cosmic energy. Or something. I played vs. Sneazel, dsaqwe, Project and some A- Protoss who defeated Scan and others earlier – also no Zerg, a dream come true for me.


[image loading]
First LAN with Zolotoi winning gold [pun intended]


Sure, I won the DT, but I also won some LAN tournaments. One LAN I won in my city in August 2007. On two other occasions I went with Dima and Specter (2v2 player) to Siberian cities. First I won vs. Dima in Novokuznetsk in the finals, in the second LAN in Kemerovo, Dima defeated me.

[image loading]
Second LAN with Dima as winner


I attented a last LAN in July 2008, the WCG Preliminary in my city. I didn't play for six months straight and only prepared by training with Dima for two weeks. My Opponents were all B+ and A- ranked Terrans. Thanks to the preparation with Dima I won the Prelims. However, I did lose in the Moscow finals due to the lack of practice. That's all about my tournaments.

I probably forgot to add: I won ICCupCL with FR


You also did stream quite some games on Defiler. Some of these games were rather interesting - especially some games against Yume come to mind. What kind of strategies do you prefer?

It depends on the opponents. With low skill opponents I can play all strategies (I was a replay uploader at reps.ru and watched a ton of replays); usually I'd be very aggressive. With good opponents I usually play standard builds. And when I played in clan wars, I used to analyze builds from Korean VODs beforehand.


You also posted some nice stuff to hype the SOSPA Events. Who's your favourite Afreeca player and why?

I love watch all gosu Protoss streams. Frst time I was in shock, when I saw Bisu stream, he was very fast
I dont know who my favourite player of the Afreeca scene is, but I love Sky and Movie. The first man is a very aggressive player, Movie = good skill and unreal harassment in late pvz


Well, back to Defiler. Somebody once told me you and (Wiki)Tama aren't really good friends. Why is that? Is that some fun rivalry or is there some deeper story?

Hmm Now we are ok.
We had some problems, because I considered Tama as the strongest Protoss from Russia, and communicated that opinion to everyone. And then I won against Tama in some online tour (maybe it was the Plantroniks tour only for Russians), where I used a smurf acc. Maybe after this tour Tama said some bad words about me, but I think it's ok, I dont like playing vs smurf too

Or it was another tour, dont remember


Aw nice. Who is your favourite Defiler user? Who's your favourite foreigner of all time? Also please explain your picks.

Defiler user... hmm I love talking with all users (not bm). Favourite user, I think it's the Bonjwa [lancerx] He has a great sense of humor, and he is the most active streamer now. And sure, we both are Auir's soldiers

Foreigner of all time... it's a hard question for me. One side: America, good players: Nony, Assem, Testie and others, second side: Euro: Mondragon Elky Draco White-Ra Androide A2. Third side: China PJ LX... very hard to choose. I was born in the USSR -> I choose White-Ra


Alright. Any last words or shout outs?

Thx to you Gecko, I know you made a lot of good articles, and other things for BW.
Thx for interview, gl to all, hi to Yoda and Defiler.ru, Bonjwa FTW !



[image loading]
GeckoXp
Profile Blog Joined June 2013
Germany2016 Posts
December 14 2014 23:07 GMT
#2
bump
-> door #15
DarkNetHunter
Profile Joined October 2012
1224 Posts
December 15 2014 01:08 GMT
#3
Sick, had only barely known the name before, but it was cool to be introduced to him. Also now I know where that infamous Yume pic comes from.

Keep up the good work Gecko!
Learn from the mistakes of others. You can't live long enough to make them all yourself.
TelecoM
Profile Blog Joined January 2010
United States10865 Posts
December 15 2014 02:13 GMT
#4
BW LAN looks sweet, wish there were BW Lan's around here T_T
AKA: TelecoM[WHITE] Protoss fighting
amazingxkcd
Profile Blog Joined September 2010
GRAND OLD AMERICA16375 Posts
December 15 2014 03:07 GMT
#5
Nice interview, i remember seeing the recall live, that was hilarious
The world is burning and you rather be on this terrible website discussing video games and your shallow feelings
LRM)INF3cted
Profile Joined October 2012
Bulgaria242 Posts
December 15 2014 07:05 GMT
#6
I like this guy
Play whit honor , die whit glory.
juvenal
Profile Joined July 2013
2448 Posts
December 15 2014 08:35 GMT
#7
Thanks for the interview Gecko! Zolotoi is the nicest guy ever [image loading]
Michael Probu
Cele
Profile Blog Joined December 2008
Germany4016 Posts
Last Edited: 2014-12-15 17:14:09
December 15 2014 12:04 GMT
#8
Nice article, i like it (;
Broodwar for life!
ilovev
Profile Joined February 2005
Korea (North)213 Posts
Last Edited: 2014-12-16 06:30:28
December 16 2014 06:28 GMT
#9
Classic Zolotoi pre-game tactics:

+ Show Spoiler +
[image loading]
juvenal
Profile Joined July 2013
2448 Posts
December 16 2014 08:30 GMT
#10
In alternative reality:

+ Show Spoiler +
[image loading]
Michael Probu
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 1m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
JuggernautJason212
BRAT_OK 52
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 14298
Mini 239
BeSt 221
Dewaltoss 156
Mind 88
Hyun 39
Bale 24
NaDa 20
ZZZero.O 2
Artosis 0
Dota 2
qojqva2801
420jenkins485
Counter-Strike
fl0m4240
Heroes of the Storm
Grubby5591
Khaldor1422
Liquid`Hasu1104
MindelVK13
Other Games
summit1g3632
FrodaN1993
B2W.Neo814
byalli423
ToD130
QueenE69
Railgan49
Mew2King46
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick1186
BasetradeTV219
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream57
StarCraft 2
angryscii 35
[ Show 17 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Adnapsc2 36
• Reevou 10
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• 80smullet 23
• FirePhoenix3
• niya90s 2
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• C_a_k_e 3863
Other Games
• imaqtpie685
• Shiphtur246
• WagamamaTV241
Upcoming Events
BSL Open Qualifier
1m
BSL Open Qualifier
1m
Replay Cast
4h 1m
Afreeca Starleague
15h 1m
Rush vs Light
WardiTV Weekly
16h 1m
Monday Night Weeklies
21h 1m
Replay Cast
1d 4h
Afreeca Starleague
1d 15h
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
1d 16h
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
2 days
[ Show More ]
The PondCast
3 days
INu's Battles
3 days
Replay Cast
5 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
6 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
6 days
Patches Events
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
Copium Cup
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.