• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 00:57
CEST 06:57
KST 13:57
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror2[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup8StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)67Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2316
StarCraft 2
General
How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) Back to SC2 after 14 years - Protoss CTRL groups? October World Ranking: herO stays #1, ByuN returns
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ]
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
Fantasy returning? Sagi.gg Launcher Released BW General Discussion PLAYzone Challenge - open offline tour in Prague 20-year-old Valorant player starting StarCraft
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 2v2v2v2 Tournament
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 7130 users

OSX 10.7 Lion no longer works with BW

Forum Index > BW General
Post a Reply
1 2 Next All
dada78641
Profile Joined July 2011
Netherlands4 Posts
July 23 2011 13:48 GMT
#1
Hi there. Not sure if this topic has been made yet, but I couldn't see it anyway.

With the latest release of Mac OS X, Starcraft will no longer work (to my knowledge) because it's a PowerPC app that requires Rosetta to run. Rosetta has been officially deprecated and I don't see any immediate way to bring it back.

Now, I don't know how many people play Starcraft under Mac OS X—I imagine it's a small minority—but does anyone know if Blizzard plans to make an Intel binary? At this rate, Starcraft is literally the only reason as to why I'm not upgrading yet. I guess I could run the whole thing in a VM, but I'd really prefer a native solution.
Arnstein
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
Norway3381 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-07-23 14:20:40
July 23 2011 14:20 GMT
#2
I've always hated the mouse acceleration in OS X, so don't use it.


Still, it's too bad that those who like it can't play.
rsol in response to the dragoon voice being heard in SCII: dragoon ai reaches new lows: wanders into wrong game
lolsixtynine
Profile Blog Joined January 2011
United States600 Posts
July 23 2011 14:55 GMT
#3
Yeah, I played on a mac for a while, bad graphics card/video drivers and mouse acceleration were annoying so I switched to PC. Sadly I've heard that Lion isn't really living up to expectations and is trying too hard to move away from the conventional concept of a laptop. It's supposed to be more like a tablet, which really isn't what I want in a computer >_>
Armathai
Profile Joined October 2007
1023 Posts
July 23 2011 15:06 GMT
#4
Lion looks terrible, however regarding the OP, my friend used to always play BW on a mac, but in the meantime he runs windows on parallels, so I think you can work your way around it, if you go for Lion.
Looking for ArcticCerebrate formerly from @USEast
dada78641
Profile Joined July 2011
Netherlands4 Posts
July 24 2011 12:43 GMT
#5
Weird that you guys dislike the mouse acceleration so much. I guess I've gotten used to it since switching to Mac years ago.

I suppose I could just use my old G4 laptop to play Starcraft and upgrade my main computer to Lion. But it sucks that it's now impossible to play this game on modern Macs without going through the trouble of running a VM or getting a separate partition.
aupstar
Profile Joined June 2007
Australia912 Posts
July 24 2011 13:05 GMT
#6
That's sad..

I was thinking about getting a mac too..
Firebats, the natural enemy of octozerg
Zyferous
Profile Joined September 2010
United States270 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-07-24 13:10:55
July 24 2011 13:10 GMT
#7
I'm not going to lie, my heart skipped a beat a few beats when I saw the title preview "Brood War will no longer..."

Jaedong forever.
FirstProbe
Profile Joined June 2004
1206 Posts
July 24 2011 13:17 GMT
#8
Damn. I don't want to install windows, but it seems it may be the only option, if I decide to upgrade. Can anyone confirm that this is true?
fofa2000
Profile Joined October 2010
Canada548 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-07-24 14:29:11
July 24 2011 14:27 GMT
#9
I read somewhere that you now have to install bootcamp and play through window, they won't update it. Sorry guys.
Edit: My source is in french on the blizzard website so I'm sure you can find it in english there.
-smells likes tasty soup, what's the menu?-fresh jaedong style marine stew served with a glass of dragoon slush!-The food's any good?Quite unusual names, never heard-all my food's good, the kitchen's this way-btw whatu terarn doing alone in a zerg colony?
dada78641
Profile Joined July 2011
Netherlands4 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-07-27 13:56:37
July 27 2011 10:09 GMT
#10
I just opened a support ticket asking for this but yeah, I guess it's over for Starcraft on Mac OS X. They've got a new game, Starcraft II, that they want everyone to buy, so I doubt they'll be fixing this in spite of how many people still play the game.

They've done a lot of great updates throughout the years and kept the game running for longer than I thought, but in the end they're a business that wants to make money, and a few Mac OS X users who already bought the game just aren't worth their time, I guess.

EDIT: for future reference, here's a message I got from tech support.

Greetings,

Due to certain changes in the Mac operating system, StarCraft, StarCraft: Brood War, Diablo II and Diablo II: Lord of Destruction will not run on Mac OS X 10.7 (Lion). While these titles should still technically be able to operate under Boot Camp, we will not be able to provide support for these titles running on Mac OS X 10.7. For more information about Mac Boot Camp, please see Apple's website: http://www.apple.com/support/bootcamp/

We will continue to offer support for these titles running on Mac OS X 10.6 and below.

At this time, we expect Warcraft III to run on Mac OS X 10.7. However, the updater that we use to apply patches does not work on Mac OS X 10.7 natively, so while a patched-up version of the game will work, you will be unable to patch up to the latest version of the game when running Mac OS X 10.7. We don't currently have a timeline available for when we may be able to release updated patches with a compatible Updater program.

For more information about Mac OS X 10.7 Lion, please see Apple's website: http://www.apple.com/macosx/lion/
For more information about Mac Boot Camp, please see Apple's website: http://www.apple.com/support/bootcamp/

Regards,

Blizzard Entertainment
www.blizzard.com/support


https://us.battle.net/support/en/ticket/thread/17857861
bsas
Profile Joined October 2011
4 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-10-21 06:01:40
October 17 2011 04:09 GMT
#11
There is a way to make StarCraft Broodwar work in MacOS Lion: using Wineskin (free)

1) Download Wineskin:
http://wineskin.doh123.com/

2) Install and download the engine: WS8Wine1.1.35 (yeas, not the latest)

3) Use this engine to install Starcraft (Windows Version)

This works perfectly on my Macbook Pro 13'' Mid-2009.

Any question, be free to ask! :D
Msrobinson
Profile Joined October 2010
United States138 Posts
October 17 2011 04:33 GMT
#12
Does this wineskin only work with older games such as Starcraft: BW, or would it work with newer games that would need windows as well?
The IQ and the life expectancy of the average American recently passed each other in opposite directions.
Entaro[AoV]
Profile Joined July 2009
United States184 Posts
October 17 2011 04:56 GMT
#13
On October 17 2011 13:09 bsas wrote:
There is a way to make StarCraft Broodwar work in MacOS Lion: using Wineskin (free)

1) Download Wineskin:
http://wineskin.doh123.com/

2) Install and download the engine: WS8Wine1.3.19 (yeas, not the latest)

3) Use this engine to install Starcraft (Windows Version)

This works perfectly on my Macbook Pro 13'' Mid-2009.

Any question, be free to ask! :D


if this works....
TL+ Member
konadora *
Profile Blog Joined February 2009
Singapore66365 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-10-17 05:45:19
October 17 2011 05:34 GMT
#14
On October 17 2011 13:09 bsas wrote:
There is a way to make StarCraft Broodwar work in MacOS Lion: using Wineskin (free)

1) Download Wineskin:
http://wineskin.doh123.com/

2) Install and download the engine: WS8Wine1.3.19 (yeas, not the latest)

3) Use this engine to install Starcraft (Windows Version)

This works perfectly on my Macbook Pro 13'' Mid-2009.

Any question, be free to ask! :D

how do u use the engine to install sc?

actually, how do i even use this thing? i downloaded the Wineskin and the WS8Wine1.3.19, installed it, then what do i do?
POGGERS
Ben...
Profile Joined January 2011
Canada3485 Posts
October 17 2011 05:47 GMT
#15
Thanks for bumping this. Now I have 3 more reasons not to update (SCBW, D2, and WC3). Screw you 10.7! I would have been so disappointed if I would not been able to play Diablo 2.
"Cliiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiide" -Tastosis
konadora *
Profile Blog Joined February 2009
Singapore66365 Posts
October 17 2011 05:52 GMT
#16
i can't revert back to snow lepoard T___T
POGGERS
iamcaustic
Profile Blog Joined May 2011
Canada1509 Posts
October 17 2011 07:09 GMT
#17
I really like OS X Lion. TT;; Sad to hear that BW doesn't work on it though... I wonder if Blizzard would ever bother to release an intel-compatible version. I know they say here that they have no announced plans to do so:

http://us.blizzard.com/support/article.xml?locale=en_US&articleId=20882&pageNumber=1&searchQuery=intel mac
Twitter: @iamcaustic
Air2gear
Profile Blog Joined August 2009
177 Posts
October 17 2011 07:22 GMT
#18
Same thing happened to me, can't play starcraft and warcraft 3 on my laptop. I just play on my pc though, but it really sucks.
Entaro[AoV]
Profile Joined July 2009
United States184 Posts
October 17 2011 07:30 GMT
#19
can't figure out how to get this to work.. and even if it runs sc/bw, would it run iccup launcher?
TL+ Member
Ben...
Profile Joined January 2011
Canada3485 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-10-17 08:01:44
October 17 2011 07:52 GMT
#20
I doubt it, you'd likely have to use WINE or something similar for Iccup (or even BW). I own a license for Crossover (a fancy WINE emulator, but I paid for this one. There are free options but I had much better luck with the free trial of this so I bought it) so I'll give it a go when I have a minute to see how BW fairs, and if iccup works.

Edit: The current version of Crossover (which will be the same on Lion) seems to be able to fire up the installer easily. I'll let you know how it goes. According to Codeweaver's (the company that makes Crossover) site, both SC:BW 1.16 and Diablo II have gold ratings, meaning they run flawlessly with the software. WC3 has silver, which usually works but with a few hiccups. Roller Coaster Tycoon is a silver rank and it runs great for me. So it seems WINE is an option for those who already made the jump to 10.7.
"Cliiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiide" -Tastosis
1 2 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Replay Cast
08:00
Continental Nation League S1
Liquipedia
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
RuFF_SC2 239
NeuroSwarm 204
ProTech121
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 21335
Dewaltoss 145
Bale 45
Noble 10
Icarus 6
Other Games
summit1g12890
JimRising 785
Sick129
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick1063
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream37
[ Show 14 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• practicex 22
• Letter147
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• Pr0nogo 4
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• lizZardDota2113
League of Legends
• Lourlo1072
• Rush818
Upcoming Events
Afreeca Starleague
5h 4m
Rush vs Light
WardiTV Weekly
6h 4m
Monday Night Weeklies
11h 4m
Replay Cast
18h 4m
Afreeca Starleague
1d 5h
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
1d 6h
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
1d 19h
The PondCast
3 days
INu's Battles
3 days
Replay Cast
4 days
[ Show More ]
BSL: Ladder Tournament
5 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
6 days
Patches Events
6 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.