• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 06:04
CEST 12:04
KST 19:04
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)55Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double
Tourneys
Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) 2026 GSTL Grand Finals SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ] ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
Fantasy returning? Bot on ladder BW General Discussion ASL22 General Discussion a Announcement on the JEDI Ringing
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
General RTS Discussion Thread Nintendo Switch Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Canadian Politics Mega-thread US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8075 users

Emperor turns 32

Forum Index > BW General
Post a Reply
1 2 3 4 5 12 13 14 Next All
GTR
Profile Blog Joined September 2004
51694 Posts
Last Edited: 2009-09-05 04:46:06
September 03 2009 21:45 GMT
#1
EDIT - I'm including Slugbreath's awesome OP (sorry GTR!) from this thread. Enjoy!



Today marks the 29th birthday of Lim Yo hwan, known and loved by us all as (T)SlayerS_`BoxeR`, the Emperor.

[image loading]


While technically he doesn't turn one year older today due to the way the korean age system works, I still wanted to take this chance to say happy birthday.

It may not be original nor unexpected to state BoxeR as one's favorite progamer, but the truth is that there really is noone quite like him.

I bought StarCraft back in the early first few years of the new millenia, and played it casually. At first I had no idea that there existed such a thing as a korean proscene and I thought that StarCraft was a game just like every other one. How wrong I was.

Then in 2005 I got a job at a local newspaper station and I met a fellow StarCraft player who had a lot more insight in the game than I had. We talked a bit about how good the best StarCraft players might be and he mentioned someone I would come to remember as [Slayer], pronounced Box Slayer.

Now that I think back on it I understand that it must have been SlayerS_`BoxeR` that he mentioned. I had jokingly asked if the best gamers of the world could defeat me with just using SCVs. My work colleague had replied:
– He has SCV-rushed his opponent and won.


Never before had SCVs seemed so powerful.

Indeed he has. Boxer, the largest StarCraft innovator of them all, has done many a thing in StarCraft. The Emperor has always been thinking outside the box(er), if you do pardon the terrible pun.

In 2009, I rediscovered StarCraft and with it, the progaming scene. Thanks to YouTube channels such as nevake and the GOMTV homepage, I quickly fell in love with watching the professionals play.

I saw the massive macro machine that is (T)Flash, I saw the incredible powerhouse that is (Z)Jaedong and I saw and heard Tasteless talking about progamers of old. But no matter how much StarCraft I watch and how many players make their mark on my memory, nobody comes near the Emperor.

He seems to be playing, not only to win, but also to create entertaining games for his viewers.

Some games where short and intense



while others where long and epic





but they all had one thing in common: You never knew what to expect.

With Boxer, one can only expect the unexpected. He's playing style is so unique, so innovative and so, if I may say so, crazy that it's almost a surprise when he plays standard play!

If he wins or loses doesn't really matter. As long as I get to see him play, I'm happy because I know that it will be a fantastic game.

The outcome doesn't really matter. Boxer makes StarCraft an art.

To me, Boxer represents many things in StarCraft. He represents innovation and evolution of the game, better than any other player does.

Boxer also represents a time past. A time where gamers laughed and actually showed emotion when they won. One of my favorite StarCraft games is in fact a casual game between Boxer and (Z)JinNam where the aim was to use micro to win. Boxer started with seven Vultures and a Siege Tank while Jinnam stared with eight Dragoons.

Just look at them laugh and look all excited.

I guess I could go on and on for ever just posting VODs of great Boxer games, but time has come to wrap this all up.

So in conclusion I just want to say happy birthday, Boxer, and thank you for all the entertaining, crazy and innovative games you have brought us all through out the years. I may be a Protoss player, but I still bow down to the Emperor.

/Slugbreath



GTR's OP:

[image loading]


One more year and you become the first 30 years progamer (in Western standards).

Happy birthday 임요환.
Commentator
blue_arrow
Profile Blog Joined July 2008
1971 Posts
September 03 2009 21:46 GMT
#2
w00t happy birthday Emperor Lim Yo Hwan!!!
| MLIA | the weather sucks dick here
Boundz(DarKo)
Profile Joined March 2009
5311 Posts
September 03 2009 21:48 GMT
#3
LimYoHwan Hwaiting!!
peidongyang
Profile Joined January 2009
Canada2084 Posts
September 03 2009 21:49 GMT
#4
Woah really? Doesn't that mean hes 30 in Korean age then?
the throws never bothered me anyway
blue_arrow
Profile Blog Joined July 2008
1971 Posts
September 03 2009 21:52 GMT
#5
On September 04 2009 06:49 peidongyang wrote:
Woah really? Doesn't that mean hes 30 in Korean age then?

hey tlpd does say he's 30years old in korea
wow double grats to boxer then
| MLIA | the weather sucks dick here
leMaj24
Profile Blog Joined January 2009
United States262 Posts
Last Edited: 2009-09-03 21:55:59
September 03 2009 21:55 GMT
#6
nvm
congrats to boxer!
fanatacist
Profile Blog Joined August 2007
10319 Posts
September 03 2009 21:57 GMT
#7
Sexy motherfucker keep on keeping on.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!
Peace~
andiCR
Profile Blog Joined March 2008
Costa Rica2273 Posts
September 03 2009 21:58 GMT
#8
congrats Boxah!! :D
Nightmare1795 wrote: I played a guy in bronze who said he was Japanese. That was the only game I ever dropped a nuke, which was purely coincidental.
TheFallofTroy
Profile Joined May 2009
Canada780 Posts
September 03 2009 21:59 GMT
#9
Happy Birthday Lim Yo Hwan
^_^V
saikeraku
Profile Joined April 2009
Canada2933 Posts
September 03 2009 22:00 GMT
#10
happy birthday.
SanguineToss
Profile Blog Joined August 2009
Canada815 Posts
September 03 2009 22:01 GMT
#11
TALL TERRAN FIGHTING
ForSC2
Profile Joined June 2009
United States580 Posts
September 03 2009 22:03 GMT
#12
Dear Boxer, you look as young and as handsome as when we first met you.
http://www.smbc-comics.com/index.php?id=2883#comic
John49ers
Profile Joined May 2009
United States237 Posts
September 03 2009 22:04 GMT
#13
happy birthday Boxer
“The beauty of Bill's system was that there was always a place to go with the ball, ... I was the mailman, just delivering people's mail, and there were all kinds of houses to go to.”-Joe Montana
hyst.eric.al
Profile Blog Joined June 2009
United States2332 Posts
September 03 2009 22:10 GMT
#14
Lim Yo Hwan aging!
Leta , BeSt, Calm fan forever! 김정우, I am sorry I ever lost faith in you.
fanatacist
Profile Blog Joined August 2007
10319 Posts
September 03 2009 22:11 GMT
#15
On September 04 2009 07:10 hyst.eric.al wrote:
Lim Yo Hwan aging!

Aging has a negative connotation. Ban imo.
Peace~
ghostWriter
Profile Blog Joined January 2009
United States3302 Posts
September 03 2009 22:15 GMT
#16
Happy birthday Boxer!!
Sullifam
l10f *
Profile Blog Joined January 2009
United States3241 Posts
September 03 2009 22:16 GMT
#17
Happy birthday! Although I wasn't into StarCraft during your dominating years, I still find your play dazzling to watch!
Writer
TonyL2
Profile Blog Joined August 2007
England1953 Posts
September 03 2009 22:20 GMT
#18
Emperor the birthday happy!
bao235
Profile Joined February 2009
Norway97 Posts
September 03 2009 22:21 GMT
#19
He's the reason I play and watch starcraft. Happy B-day to the Emperor!
It's pronounced without the L.
sung_moon
Profile Blog Joined September 2008
United States10110 Posts
September 03 2009 22:23 GMT
#20
happy birthday emperor
Forever Young
1 2 3 4 5 12 13 14 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 2h 56m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 19024
firebathero 2223
Bisu 683
Hyuk 465
Horang2 220
BeSt 205
EffOrt 114
Sexy 111
Larva 109
Leta 108
[ Show more ]
Soma 94
Killer 84
Light 81
Dewaltoss 80
ZerO 55
ToSsGirL 49
soO 43
Rush 36
Pusan 35
Sharp 32
Shinee 25
Aegong 23
Bale 21
NaDa 21
Sacsri 20
Hm[arnc] 16
sorry 14
JulyZerg 11
Barracks 7
Noble 5
Terrorterran 5
Dota 2
Fuzer 168
Counter-Strike
shoxiejesuss972
byalli705
kRYSTAL_47
Heroes of the Storm
Khaldor981
crisheroes716
Other Games
gofns29777
singsing1676
olofmeister1031
ceh9681
Mew2King98
ArmadaUGS50
ZerO(Twitch)13
Organizations
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream164
[ Show 10 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• FirePhoenix4
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• lizZardDota2373
Upcoming Events
Stellar Fest
2h 56m
OSC
11h 56m
CranKy Ducklings
23h 56m
Online Event
1d
FEL
1d 5h
AI Arena Tournament
1d 6h
BSL: Ladder Tournament
1d 8h
Sparkling Tuna Cup
1d 23h
INu's Battles
2 days
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
BSL Open Qualifier
2 days
[ Show More ]
BSL Open Qualifier
2 days
Replay Cast
2 days
Afreeca Starleague
2 days
Rush vs Light
WardiTV Weekly
3 days
Replay Cast
3 days
Afreeca Starleague
3 days
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
4 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
4 days
The PondCast
5 days
INu's Battles
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-30
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.