• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 05:18
CEST 11:18
KST 18:18
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror6[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
Rollback Netcode in Brood War615.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 202621Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)78
StarCraft 2
General
5.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 2026 [Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)
Tourneys
RSL 2026 Offline Finals LCQ Sign-Ups $3,500 WardiTV Not-Summer Championship ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) ISSL (IntoTheTV x SOOP SC2 League): Premier
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
Rollback Netcode in Brood War ChatGPT cheats at StarSkirmish SCAI tournament TL Sidebar missing streams [ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror Sagi.gg Launcher Released
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Simple Questions, Simple Answers Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do?
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25!
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
[Manga] One Piece Movie Discussion! Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread TeamLiquid Health and Fitness Initiative For 2023 MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8630 users

How I found love. or TL.

Blogs > lilsusie
Post a Reply
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next All
lilsusie
Profile Blog Joined August 2007
3861 Posts
September 12 2008 05:43 GMT
#1
Share your story on how you found TL and how you got hooked.

I've been a fan of SC since 2004 - when MBC and OGN were my only friends in lonely Cheongju, Korea. As much as I enjoyed watching all of the games, there was one player I really had an interest in: Kang Min. I watched Kang Min play his games, watched all the specials they did on him and never ever even dreamed that I would meet him one day.

October of 2005, I went to Blizzcon and there, to my surprise, was the protoss god himself - and on the final day scurried my way to get a picture with him. I was a happy girl.

After returning to the States in 2006, I did not know how to watch games anymore (since I was void of my Starcraft channels) and became busy with graduate school and wow (No matter what, I just can't get away from Blizzard games).

However, in 2007, I decided to attend Blizzcon again in hopes to meet Min for the second time... and I did. I mustered up the courage I had to go and ask for another picture.. and to have dinner with me that night. He and I chatted and he took down my number to call me later on that evening. Around 6:30, he calls me and asks me to come to his hotel. Although I am at an event, I dubiously exit and go to his hotel lobby. Apparently, he had gotten locked out of his hotel room and needed someone to explain to the front desk. Ha! "You were the first person I thought to call", he says. I help him get his room door open and we talk and I tell him that I want to finish up the event first before heading out. He says that that's fine - and around 8pm we meet up again for dinner of steaks, beers and conversation.

Around 10:30 we head back to the hotel and see that there is a staff party going on at the lobby bar. Rounds of tequila and whiskey and the bar is closing. Min says that he needs the restroom and I sit in the lobby waiting for him. About 20 minutes later, he comes back with Tasteless behind him. "Are you his translator", Nick exclaims as he proceeds to invite Kang Min to a party up in his room. Min looks at me apprehensively and says, "Well, I'm only going if you go - I can't communicate with them!" At this point I call my friend to tell him to just meet me in the morning and that I won't be heading back to his place. I was going to spend the night with Nal_rA!!

I tell Nick that we'll head up and we all go to his room for some more booze. When we got there, there was a bunch of people in the room - people from a community called TeamLiquid.

A community of SC fans... who weren't Korean?! This opened my eyes. I had no idea!

In Tasteless' hotel room, I met mnm who introduced me to these forums and I was done. And the rest is history.

-- So the rest of the story is that we drank and drank and drank. Min made Nick drink a whole glass of soju while the guys taught him how to shotgun a beer. The night could have gone well into the morning but Min had a match to play and so we headed back to his room around 3am. He inevitebly lost his game the next day due to being hung over, but when I asked him about it, he said it was worth the loss to have been able to hang out with TL members all night. <3


****
Follow me on Twitter for pictures of cute gamers and food! https://twitter.com/lilsusie
Grobyc
Profile Blog Joined June 2008
Canada18410 Posts
Last Edited: 2009-06-20 21:27:11
September 12 2008 05:45 GMT
#2
My friend kept linking me to threads here when I asked him for advice and tips and eventually I figured I watched this site so closely I may as well make an account and start being part of the community.

Now I can't keep away. These forums are my cocaine, my daily need. In a couple years when I can afford to go out to the TL meetups and go to blizzcon and such I will definitely go. Just you wait TL, just you wait!
If you watch Godzilla backwards it's about a benevolent lizard who helps rebuild a city and then moonwalks into the ocean.
paper
Profile Blog Joined September 2004
13197 Posts
Last Edited: 2008-09-12 05:46:28
September 12 2008 05:45 GMT
#3
hahah wow nice story

mine: i used to frequent random forums like team liquid, team areola, etc. but this one seemed most active so i stuck around
Hates Fun🤔
Ilikestarcraft
Profile Blog Joined November 2004
Korea (South)17743 Posts
Last Edited: 2008-09-12 05:49:36
September 12 2008 05:48 GMT
#4
i came to korea and saw sc on tv and it made me fall in love with progaming/sc
started getting into sites like starcraftgamers.com sclegacy than I found tl and after awhile stopped going on sc/gosugamers and sclegacy.

ils
"Nana is a goddess. Or at very least, Nana is my goddess." - KazeHydra
Rayzorblade
Profile Blog Joined September 2004
United States1172 Posts
September 12 2008 05:48 GMT
#5
That's a really great story! (Can't seem to remember how I got into TeamLiquid, tbh).
spetial
Profile Blog Joined January 2007
United States688 Posts
Last Edited: 2008-09-12 06:08:34
September 12 2008 05:59 GMT
#6
Kang Min is the best protoss player ever!

edit: omg i replied w/o reading the whole thing....LOL HE LOST FROM HUNG OVER!!! HES OFFICIALLY MY HERO
metal_survive @ uswest
boesthius
Profile Blog Joined February 2008
United States11637 Posts
Last Edited: 2008-09-12 06:08:32
September 12 2008 06:07 GMT
#7
--- Nuked ---
Realpenguin
Profile Joined December 2006
8253 Posts
September 12 2008 06:11 GMT
#8
holy cow, awesome story susie! i want to go to Blizzcon eventually.

Around late 2005, I got into teamliquid from some starcraft-related google search when I was in a craze to get better at SC. I learned about progaming and was extremely interested in it.
I was watching a ton of vods, reps, and reading the various strategies in the forum here. I played Protoss because of Nal_ra and Anytime, because their play was just so great.

After I started using teamliquid, I pretty much stopped visiting any other SC sites, because everything I needed sc-related was here.
<Wolfpox> i remember when MVP beat that one guy, and everyone was like 'whoa' except that penguin dude.
rei
Profile Blog Joined October 2002
United States3594 Posts
Last Edited: 2008-09-12 06:13:28
September 12 2008 06:12 GMT
#9
It was before teamliquid became teamliquid of today, My idol NTT aka Hasudrone was on the peak of his game, countless hours of NTT replays filled my time between classes and sleep. Then came WCG, my hero NTT was murdered by someone I have never heard of at the time. his name was liquid.nazgul. I watched the replays of those three games over and over and over, NTT did all of his usual tricks from massive dropships on cliffs to annoying vulture raids and of course the 100+ supplies of scvs. But nothing seemed to work. Nazgul always in the right place at the right time. NTT was never the same again, In fact, in my mind liquid.nazgul ended my hero NTT's starcraft career. Liquid.Nazgul was my first starcraft villain. I starting to follow this villian in the wcg, because he took NTT's spot, i cheer when boxer demolished him using 1 dropship + 2 tanks to kill 5 dragons and 1 reaver in jungle story. But when the epic boxer vs nazgul replay pack came out I starting to follow nazgul closely, and inevitably I wonder across teamliquid.net.

GET OUT OF MY BASE CHILL
Deleted User 30223
Profile Blog Joined August 2007
3104 Posts
Last Edited: 2008-09-12 06:13:13
September 12 2008 06:12 GMT
#10
hm. i remember posting about a similar topic before. let's see if i can dig it up somehow.

edit: i wanna hang out with kang min. :[
MeriaDoKk
Profile Blog Joined July 2007
Chile1726 Posts
Last Edited: 2008-09-12 06:19:54
September 12 2008 06:19 GMT
#11
aaa my story is kind of boring compared to yours :S, i was browsing for some replays and accidently found TL.net, then i just read the forums and stuff because my english is not too good and I didn't want to not be able to communicate, finally i started to post and the rest is history, now im a freaking VULTURE so hurray for me.
blabber
Profile Blog Joined June 2007
United States4448 Posts
September 12 2008 06:25 GMT
#12
I knew about pro-gaming for a really long time, but didn't start watching until SC2 was announced and saw the games for the tourney there (the only players I knew in that tourney were NaDa and Nal_rA; so yes, I did not know who savior or Bisu were at the time) on youtube. Later my friend told me about teamliquid.net. I was thinking "isn't that a counter-strike team?" but realized it was about Starcraft, instead.
blabberrrrr
zXk3
Profile Blog Joined August 2006
Mexico1178 Posts
September 12 2008 06:30 GMT
#13
Well.. i used to visit broodwar.com (someone buyed the domain and turned it over gosu.com lol), sclegacy, gg.net and randomly tl.. but somehow, somewhere, when i was playing WGT, someone told me about this, and about the tlt, so i was like, whoa.. i dont believe it. i started as a lurker for many years, watching the Stars that are the today staples of TL, reading, waiting, stalking... until one day, i said, well enough of this shit, lets go there.. (even there, it tookd me some days to start posting, lol) then the first panamericans came, i tried to do a hangout, but only got the latin players (testie was there.. and he ditched us.. he probably doesnt remember, i even offered myself to treat him, since iirc someone stole his wallet) anyways.. im always lurking, but somehow managed to know some ppl, and that ppl lead me to more ppl.. and since i always tried to be part of this site, now i can (in a way some of you mayb dont notice but i do) soooo

susie.. great story, im jealous since kang min is one of my favourite players (i did that cheerful) anyways, ill go back to my hole now =D
GraphicsNo soy dominante, solo tengo mejores ideas...| Sorry Oshi, 4-1 shows that im better than you =D i wont do any more mistakes now
semioldguy
Profile Blog Joined January 2007
United States7488 Posts
Last Edited: 2008-09-12 06:36:17
September 12 2008 06:34 GMT
#14
No mention of me?!

I am severely disappointed.

[image loading]
Moderator
Kennigit *
Profile Blog Joined October 2006
Canada19447 Posts
Last Edited: 2008-09-12 06:36:17
September 12 2008 06:34 GMT
#15
My story involves a routine visit to Blizzard.com to see if they had announced any new games. I had played a decent amount of starcraft but not a lot of online play. On the front page of blizzard was a link to videos from and event called Blizzard World Wide Invitational featuring these 4 korean guys who looked like they were a big deal. I started watching the VODs which to my surprise were being casted by this blue haired punk with a lip ring - Tasteless. I couldn't believe this new world i had found....that these guys played a game...for a living...How did tasteless know so much about these kids? I never thought i'd end up at a Blizzard event, meet progamers or people who loved progaming as much as i do

In the middle of a match between Ra and Reach on Coulee, Tastless made some comment "i better watch my commentating or im going to get flamed on teamliquid.net". That was it, i popped the url in and the rest is history. I was so intimidated by how much these people knew about starcraft and dared not post lest i be ripped apart by the masses....after a couple weeks i finally got some confidence and decided to ask about Pro Team Scouting Methods.


........What a warm welcome that was ~_~ - http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=45486

Who'da thunk i'd end up helping run this show - funny how stuff like that happens
Specialist
Profile Blog Joined April 2007
United States803 Posts
September 12 2008 06:35 GMT
#16
I was randomly googling starcraft stuff. I found pimpest plays and became interested in progaming. Then I found gosugamers, and then finally teamliquid. I just thought tl.net was a better place and I lurked all the time. I finally decided to make an account one day and I still don't post much haha
ShmotZ
Profile Blog Joined December 2007
United States581 Posts
September 12 2008 06:37 GMT
#17
oh my god i love kang min so much..... T_T;;

thats real nice story susie

Well it started when i was like 10 years old and me and my friend brandon played starcraft 64
and i didnt know about progaming back then, well when searching for strategys for the game i found sclegacy.com and then i read on there news about them hiring players for blizzards sandlot tournament and i visited each website to see which 1 i wanted to win, it was teamliquid.net because of the sweet horse banner ^_^ and ever since then i been using it for progamer news =]
Ah, computer dating. It's like pimping, but you rarely have to use the phrase "upside your head." - Bender
EvilTeletubby
Profile Blog Joined January 2004
Baltimore, USA22261 Posts
Last Edited: 2008-09-12 06:59:53
September 12 2008 06:40 GMT
#18
Wow, what an awesome story susie...

And Kennigit, ROFL, that's how you heard about TL?? I remember hearing Nick say that live and cracked up laughing. And OMFG -> That thread was your first post? HAHAHAHAHAHA, that was SOOO epic I remember that thread, greatest derailment ever... had no idea you created it.


Edit - My story is insanely boring... I'm a product of the battle.net forums since about 1998 playing a little game known as Diablo. I had actually gotten the battlechest (Diablo1, Starcraft, and WC2 at the time) from Walmart and took a look at the games. WC2 didn't interest me in the least, but Diablo and SC did... I played through the single player missions of SC, but that was about it for a while, I was hooked on Diablo and wanted to learn everything I could on it, so I wandered over to the Diablo strategy forum on battle.net and soaked up some knowledge, and really got into the Diablo game. I played Starcraft a little bit, getting BW at some point, but pretty much only comp stomp games and whatnot, I wasn't very competitive at the time. Around 2000, D2 came out and I was addicted for a good 2 solid years of my life.

When I eventually broke the D2 habit, around late 2002ish, I found myself with a bit of a void to fill and found myself looking back at BW. I found my way to the old S&T forums on battle.net again, and heard about TL.net from a few of it's members. I didn't initially think much about, but when I learned there were players, going on tv, and getting paid to play a video game, I was fascinated by the concept.

When I saw my first First Person View footage ever of someone (Elky) controlling his units, I was fucking hooked.

Like anything I become interested in, I have to get as much information on it as possible... back then, VODs were a scarce commodity, and battle reports were the staple of the day; every news update was treasured.

I just visited more and more until it was clear THIS was the place I wanted to be. The only thing I feel a bit bad about is that I've hardly met anyone from TL.net, and I would REALLY like to go to some meet-ups, I just wish more things happened on the east coast.
Moderatorhttp://carbonleaf.yuku.com/topic/408/t/So-I-proposed-at-a-Carbon-Leaf-concert.html ***** RIP Geoff
wurm
Profile Joined October 2007
Philippines2296 Posts
September 12 2008 06:40 GMT
#19
Awesome stories, wish I had one as interesting.

Played starcraft like a year or two after it came out, no idea that there was a progaming circuit. I was a follower of WC3: TFT progaming. This lasted for about a year, watching VOD's on youtube mostly. Then while wandering around youtube, I came across a BoxeR highlight video, right then and there while watching the video, I went "DAMN... O_O". Found and re-installed SC:BW. Then I started getting hooked on SC VOD's and totally forgot about my WC3 playing/watching days. While watching a random VOD I noticed in the user comments someone mentioning tl.net. Twas around 2006?
I know where my towel is.
EvilTeletubby
Profile Blog Joined January 2004
Baltimore, USA22261 Posts
September 12 2008 06:41 GMT
#20
SOG: Who is everyone in that pic? I recognize you/Nick/Ra/Susie and I think that's CM all the way on the left?
Moderatorhttp://carbonleaf.yuku.com/topic/408/t/So-I-proposed-at-a-Carbon-Leaf-concert.html ***** RIP Geoff
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 42m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft: Brood War
Calm 5939
Rain 3847
Leta 2470
Soulkey 418
Soma 333
BeSt 262
Rush 216
Barracks 179
firebathero 127
Killer 50
[ Show more ]
soO 49
Sexy 46
Shinee 37
Stork 35
Shine 32
HiyA 18
Hm[arnc] 17
Sharp 13
Sacsri 12
sorry 9
Noble 4
Terrorterran 3
Dota 2
Gorgc3291
XcaliburYe164
League of Legends
JimRising 506
Super Smash Bros
Mew2King71
Other Games
gofns22016
WinterStarcraft727
Sick173
Pyrionflax167
Organizations
Other Games
BasetradeTV191
StarCraft: Brood War
lovetv 6
[ Show 12 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• 3DClanTV 61
• Sammyuel 41
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• lizZardDota2234
League of Legends
• Jankos2430
Upcoming Events
Sparkling Tuna Cup
42m
Patches Events
5h 42m
BSL Open Qualifier
9h 42m
BSL Open Qualifier
9h 42m
OSC
13h 42m
OSC
1d 2h
WardiTV Weekly
2 days
PiGosaur Cup
2 days
The PondCast
4 days
Online Event
5 days
[ Show More ]
Korean StarCraft League
5 days
Afreeca Starleague
5 days
Rush vs Soulkey
CranKy Ducklings
6 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
HCC Season 3
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.