• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 18:49
CEST 00:49
KST 07:49
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double1Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon105
StarCraft 2
General
Stellar Fest 1 Replay Pack Recent patches and the Future StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double Balance hotfix patch 5.0.16b (July 16)
Tourneys
2026 GSTL Grand Finals ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament Master Swan Open (Global Bronze-Master 2) Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20)
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
BW General Discussion Bot on ladder [ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach PLAYzone Challenge - open offline tour in Prague an AI researcher's take on the ladder bot
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 1
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Total Annihilation Zero Nintendo Switch Thread EVE Corporation
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread All you football fans (soccer)!
Fan Clubs
MarineLorD Fan Club The Creator Fan Club The ShoWTimE Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
Violent-Cooperative Play and…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 6817 users

[GSTL] NSH vs. Azubu Recap / SortOf Interview (S1)

Forum Index > News
31 CommentsPost a Reply
1 2 Next All

[GSTL] NSH vs. Azubu Recap / SortOf Interview (S1)

Text byTL.net ESPORTS
Graphics byPathy
April 13th, 2013 18:55 GMT

BenQ GSTL Season 1

BenQ GSTL
Season One




Azubu vs. NS HoSeo
Recap


SortOf Interview
WW.SortOf


Brackets and results on Liquipedia

Four Star Ganzi


by Waxangel

In steep contrast to the previous day's Prime vs. Startale match which had the first place spot on the line, the battle between Azubu and NS HoSeo guaranteed that the loser would sent down to last place. Both teams had taken harsh 0 - 4 losses in their first matches of the season, and found themselves desperately needing to catch up in both wins and map score.

It took just under two hours for Azubu to win a 4 - 0 rout, with captain and starter Ganzi crushing the NS HoSeo team without assistance. While Azubu were able to celebrate their first official win since the founding of the team, the plight of NSH was more notable still. Just two days after the entire team had been wiped out of the WCS Korea system, a second 0 - 4 loss added insult to injury. Though NS HoSeo were at least a respectable GSTL foe in the past, against Azubu they took another step deeper into the abyss.


4

Azubu

[image loading]
Live Report Thread

(T)GanZi <Star Station> (Z)SortOf
(T)GanZi <Akilon Wastes> (T)Sting
(T)GanZi (T)jjakji
(T)GanZi (P)Tassadar

0

NS HoSeo

[image loading]


(Z)WW.SortOf suffers foreigner's fate in Korean debut.

With Scarlett making a spectacular debut last week with a win over Mvp, hopes were high for the debut of the other foreigner in the GSTL, (Z)WW.SortOf. While SortOf didn't have the high profile of Scarlett, his 2nd place finish at WCS Sweden and a 4th place finish at NASL S4 gave him some serious credentials. Unfortunately for SortOf, his Korean debut ended up being like that of most foreigners to play in Korea studio: he lost.

VOD: Watch SortOf vs. Ganzi

His opponent, Azubu captain (T)GanZi, had free reign to do whatever he needed, using hellions to control the map while he took expansions and macroed up behind. While there was a glimmer of hope for SortOf after he held off a succession of drops and assembled a strong looking brood lord – hydralisk – queen army, it was short lived as Ganzi was quickly able to add a large amount of vikings to his army. The deciding engagement of the game ended in a crushing victory for Ganzi, and SortOf GG'd out not long after.

(T)GanZi routs NSH to record the third all-kill of the season

The next challenger for NSH ended up being yet another player from their partner Western Wolves in (T)Sting, perhaps because of the recent WCS qualifiers the NSH players had competed in. However, Sting couldn't provide any reprieve either, as he too, fell victim to (T)GanZi. Sting was caught totally off guard by Ganzi's use of cloaked banshees, losing over 20 SCVs before he was forced to GG out.

Ganzi was on a roll, and NSH decided they quickly needed to stop his momentum. Down 0 – 2, NSH decided that they couldn't wait any longer to use their ace and sent out their most reliable player in (T)jjakji. However, it just wasn't NSH's day, and even their ace player couldn't stop the red hot Ganzi.

After taking a few early game jabs at each other, both Jjakji and Ganzi settled on three bases on Bel'Shir Vestige, readying themselves to play a marine-tank war on a large scale. The game then ended rather quickly once the players neared max population, with the two armies narrowly missing each other as they took the two separate paths on the map. Ganzi managed to arrive at Jjakji's base significantly faster, which initiated a base trade scenario Jjakji just could not win. With more than enough time to camp Jjakji's production AND set up a defensive force back at home, Ganzi easily got the better of the base trade and received his third GG of the match.

Down to just one last player, NS HoSeo went with one of their longest serving veterans in (P)Tassadar. Alas, Tassadar's history of ace appearances for NS HoSeo was not the best, and he could not improve his record upon the night. His Dark Templar opener was scouted by Ganzi and easily thwarted, after which he hastily tried to go into a regular macro game. However, he was unable to survive when Ganzi came crashing through gates with superior numbers of marines, marauders, and medivacs, and conceded another painful defeat for the NSH team.

Player of the Match: (T)Azubu.GanZi

Since no one else won a game, this is an obvious pick. Ganzi had been down on his luck for quite some time, whether it was trying to find a new team, dealing with injuries, or getting his skill level back up to where it was in 2011. While Ganzi might still have some ways to go if he wants to become a Code S regular like he was in the past, he definitely showed he has returned to being a solid competitor, worthy of respect and a special notice in any team's scouting report.


WW.SortOf Interview


After the match we caught up with (Z)WW.SortOf for an interview, and talked about his GSTL match, his experience in Korea, and his impending return to Europe following the WCS announcement. Also check out Khaldor's Interview from the same day.

[image loading]
" Going here for just like a week, a month is not enough. I think you gotta be here for a long period for it to actually show through."


You had your GomTV Korean debut today. How'd your match go?
Could have gone a lot better. I messed up quite a bit, but I'm not going to make too many excuses. I lost, and that's all that matters, pretty much.

Were you very nervous for your match?
Yeah, I was a bit nervous. It was a new booth, and I had never played in the GSL before, so yeah I was quite nervous.

Ganzi seemed to control the map, using reaper-hellion to contain you. Did you think your defense could have been better?
It could have been a lot better. I got kind of thrown off by the pause, but yeah.

So you went for a hydra-queen-brood lord competition, we haven't really seen much of that in the GSL. Do you find it effective in practice?
Generally no, but on those positions [vertical starts Start Station] it's really hard to go into ultra in the late game, so I think you are kind of forced into brood lords in those positions.

Do you think you had a chance to win if you fought better, or was the game already too far gone in Ganzi's favor?
Yeah, I think if I had played my best from the beginning I would have had a good chance at winning, but I lost.

How did you earn the start in this match?
I don't know. I was doing pretty good in practice so I guess they thought that I would be a good pick.

How did you decide to come to Korea the first time? [SortOf was in Korea for about 3 weeks in 2011]
I qualified for the IeSF tournament, and I thought it would be kind of a waste to not try out the Korean teamhouse experience while I was here. And I wanted to go to Korea in the future, so it was a good time to try out how it was. And I really liked it, so that's why I came back here.

What do you like about it?
A: I get really motivated to practice when I'm in Korea. Ladder is a lot better, it's easier to practice. There is a nice team environment, there is good food, nice people, everything is good.

How is the NSH environment? It's not a team we know a lot about.
It's really nice, the guys are all good friends and they joke a lot and we have fun. Still a lot of practice.

Other pros who have been to Korea say the environment there is so much better in Korea than anywhere else, do you agree?
Yeah, I think so. But I also think you need to commit a lot of time. Going here for just like a week, a month is not enough. I think you gotta be here for a long period for it to actually show through.

"I think I improved a lot. But I think that's mainly because it's a new game, and you improve faster in the beginning of a new game I think..."
You were here for five weeks or so. You think you've improved a lot in that period?
I think I improved a lot. But I think that's mainly because it's a new game, and you improve faster in the beginning of a new game I think. I would say I've improved quite a bit.

Only Jjakji and maybe Tassadar are known abroad. Are there any other players you think that are really good but not well known?
Most of the guys are really really good, so it's hard to point someone out.

And today, things just didn't really go well?
No, not really. Mostly for my match, I feel quite bad because I didn't perform as well as I could have. I don't want to speak for the other players, but I know we're capable of better.

Who would you say you're friendly with in the house?
Pretty much everyone. But I talk more with some players than others. Madbull is really fun.

How is everyday life in general, with them not knowing English and all.
It's a little bit hard, with the language barrier of course, but you get by it. You still get by fine, I think.

The atmosphere must have been pretty down after the wipe-out in the WCS qualifiers.
A: Yeah... I was originally planning to play in the Code A qualifiers, too, but then because of the WCS announcement everything kinda got shut down. [SortOf received an EU Premier spot and selected the EU region]

Originally Western Wolves said you were going to be here for three months or so, but now...?
I'm going back to tomorrow actually [April 14th].

So you're not going to be playing the EU region from Korea online. Would you say the lag is unplayable?
Yeah, I'd say so.

You didn't consider maybe staying in Korea, briefly going to Europe to play, and coming back?
I thought about that, but the seasons are like so long so I don't think that would work, but I plan to come back in the off seasons for practice.

What do you think about the WCS system in general?
I think there are some flaws, especially how late they announced everything, and especially with how many Koreans we're seeing in NA, it's kinda WCS Korea number two.

I think it's really good for StarCraft 2 esports outside of Korea, but it's kind of bad for the players who have committed to go to Korea and practice, because now there's no... like we have to either go back to Europe or stay in Korea, like commit a full year to Korea, which is a lot.

What do you think about the European player list that was announced?
It's quite good, it's the best players in Europe and some really good Koreans, so I think the league is going to be really good.

You're one of the players who really came up through last year's WCS, coming through WCS Sweden and placing second. Now that opportunity has kinda gone away for other players. How do you feel about that?
Yeah, it's sad that there's no WCS Sweden. That event was really awesome, being an all-Swedish event. We don't have too many of those, just a few, which are nice. We have WCS Europe now, it's kind of replaced it, I guess.

"I'm not sure. I think getting into Challenger League is still going to be fairly viable for up and coming players."
But for up and coming players, it's become harder to break out, no?
I'm not sure. I think getting into Challenger League is still going to be fairly viable for up and coming players. And I think once you get into Challenger League you are going to get some eyes on you. And if you get through Challenger League, you're in great shape.

Did you figure out that DreamHack: Stockholm thing eventually? You still don't have a spot?
No, I couldn't get a spot. It's really unfortunate because I'm going to be in Sweden for that time.

Moving on to more in game stuff, how are you liking HotS so far?
I really like it except for ZvZ, of course.

Because you're worse at it, or because it's not as fun?
First of all it's a lot more random, there are very few ways you can get edges over your opponent. Like there is very little micro in the actual muta wars – there is micro in the ling-baneling wars in the early game – but once you actually get to muta there is very little micro you can actually do. So it's basically who has the most mutas is going to win the game, so that's kinda bad I think.

Any balance complaints for other matchups?
No, of course some match-ups are really hard at some points, but I think there's nothing you can't get over.

A lot of people are complaining about ZvP late game, any thoughts on that?
Yeah, Protoss is really strong in late game of course, but so was Zerg in WoL. So I think it's kind of like the reverse role now, Zerg has to be the one that's active in the mid-game and punish Protoss, and get an advantage in the mid-game. If you sit back and let the Protoss do whatever he wants it's going to be really hard.

In terms of ZvT, most people are moving into ling-muta-bane, which is very different from what you did today. You think that's pretty much the standard now, or you think there's still room for the match-up to grow?
I think they have their use on certain maps, but ling-muta-bane it comes to a point where Terran has so many mines that even if you micro really good against them, it's still going to be really hard to take cost effective fights. So I think with hydras you can easily snipe off the widow mines without taking any damage from them. And you also have the counter to medivac as well, which is quite nice.

How's your adjustment in general? You think HotS fits your style more, compared to say the late WoL BL-infestor mass?
Yeah, I like that it's a lot more fun to watch and play. I just really enjoy it, it's a lot more multi-tasking, you don't have to use brood lord-infestor, you can use ultras and be a lot more mobile on the map. Just a lot more fun, I think.

Pretty much any Zerg who was doing well in 2012 who wasn't Life was getting called a patchzerg, and you were one of those players. What do you think of that reputation? You think it was undeserved?
Yeah, I don't know. I don't want to pay too much attention to that. People can say what they want, I'm still going to practice and do my best to show good results.

Going forward, what are your plans for the year now, now that your plans have been suddenly changed?
I'm just going to play as many tournaments as I can, practice as much as I can, and do as well as I can.

Any shoutouts, last comments?
Shoutout to my team Western Wolves, and to our sponsors Mad Catz, Triton, Sapphire, and AMD. And a shoutout to all my fans.



Writers: Waxangel.
Graphics: Pathy.
Editor: Waxangel.
Facebook Twitter Reddit
TL+ Member
KaiserKieran
Profile Blog Joined August 2011
United States615 Posts
April 13 2013 19:00 GMT
#2
Really sad about sortof not staying in korea
StarVe
Profile Joined June 2011
Germany13591 Posts
April 13 2013 19:09 GMT
#3
I thought viOlet was AZUBU's captain.
LiLSighKoh
Profile Blog Joined October 2010
United States588 Posts
April 13 2013 19:09 GMT
#4
They chose him because they knew he would leave :p. At least he got the feeling of a booth in the GSL.
"Want some? Go get some!"
namste
Profile Joined October 2010
Finland2292 Posts
April 13 2013 19:12 GMT
#5
I wonder when a progamer name that Waxangel can't spun into a pun comes along.
IM hwaitiing ~ IMMvp #1 | Bang Min Ah <3<3
d0n
Profile Joined January 2004
Germany143 Posts
April 13 2013 19:12 GMT
#6
On the main page, it say "tea" instead of team in the first sentence.
^^
Seeker *
Profile Blog Joined April 2005
Where dat snitch at?37117 Posts
April 13 2013 19:14 GMT
#7
Oo;;

Super long SortOf interview!
ModeratorPeople ask me, "Seeker, what are you seeking?" My answer? "Sleep, damn it! Always sleep!"
TL+ Member
Xlafs
Profile Joined January 2013
United States9 Posts
April 13 2013 19:15 GMT
#8
GOGOOG GANZI I'm so happy, I am his number one fan, hopefully he can stream again soon
If Ganzi only had a second chance... Maybe my life's problems would be solved #Number1fan
fireforce7
Profile Joined June 2010
United States334 Posts
April 13 2013 19:15 GMT
#9
Oh hey GanZi, long time no see! . Looks like he might be coming back!
I'm terranfying
Conut
Profile Joined April 2012
Canada1026 Posts
April 13 2013 19:16 GMT
#10
On April 14 2013 04:12 namste wrote:
I wonder when a progamer name that Waxangel can't spun into a pun comes along.


that will be the day the world stops spinning.
Sc2 always got your back
ACrow
Profile Joined October 2011
Germany6583 Posts
April 13 2013 19:18 GMT
#11
I really like SortOf's attitude, he seems down to earth and has a good work ethic.
Sad that today didn't go so well, but there is a next time. Gl in WCS Europe!
Get off my lawn, young punks
govie
Profile Blog Joined November 2012
9334 Posts
April 13 2013 19:21 GMT
#12
Ghanzi gave me 10 points in FGTSL^^
The two NBA teams in states with legal weed are called the Nuggets and the Blazers...
Serimek
Profile Joined August 2011
France2274 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-04-13 19:44:02
April 13 2013 19:39 GMT
#13
On April 14 2013 04:09 StarVe wrote:
I thought viOlet was AZUBU's captain.


I thought too. Maybe because he'll might be back in the US for WCS or something...
SC2 is the best game to watch and was the best to play before I grew old and slow...
LeviathanDK
Profile Joined August 2011
Denmark87 Posts
April 13 2013 19:44 GMT
#14
got Ganzi on my fantasy team so this is lovely! + I am a big fan of Ganzi so it was really great that he got an All-Kill
Bagration
Profile Blog Joined October 2011
United States18282 Posts
April 13 2013 20:14 GMT
#15
Well done Ganzi!

Team Slayers, Axiom-Acer and Vile forever
govie
Profile Blog Joined November 2012
9334 Posts
April 13 2013 20:17 GMT
#16
On April 14 2013 04:44 LeviathanDK wrote:
got Ganzi on my fantasy team so this is lovely! + I am a big fan of Ganzi so it was really great that he got an All-Kill


Well, they have said on gom i(i thought) he didnt look so hotsy, but the allkill must give him some confidenceboost now
The two NBA teams in states with legal weed are called the Nuggets and the Blazers...
Scisyhp
Profile Blog Joined April 2011
United States200 Posts
April 13 2013 20:31 GMT
#17
Ganzi defeating beverages like the boss he is.
cablesc
Profile Blog Joined August 2009
United States1540 Posts
April 13 2013 20:57 GMT
#18
Nice job Ganzi. Always nice to see my old Slayers favs doing well.
Slayers Forever! Rip. :( - Not the eSports organizer, that's CableStarcraft.
ES.Genie
Profile Joined July 2011
Germany1370 Posts
April 13 2013 21:12 GMT
#19
Wasn't Ganzi supposed to go to the military around this time? iirc when he joined complexity he said there was only one more year left for him.
But anyways, I always liked him as a person and player since bis breakout in 2011, so I'm glad he's doing well again.
No Mvp, no care. ~ the King will be back | Shawn Ray, Kevin Levrone, Phil Heath |
asdfOu
Profile Joined August 2011
United States2089 Posts
April 13 2013 21:15 GMT
#20
omg im so glad i took ganzi off my anti lol
rip prime
1 2 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 11h 11m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
SpeCial 135
StarCraft: Brood War
Artosis 406
White-Ra 141
910 45
NaDa 39
Dota 2
monkeys_forever279
NeuroSwarm141
Super Smash Bros
PPMD71
Heroes of the Storm
Grubby8857
Liquid`Hasu1504
Trikslyr89
Other Games
summit1g8378
Liquid`RaSZi3282
shahzam551
JimRising 322
B2W.Neo169
C9.Mang0133
ArmadaUGS93
Organizations
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream334
Other Games
BasetradeTV251
[ Show 13 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Hupsaiya 93
• intothetv
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• Azhi_Dahaki4
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
League of Legends
• TFBlade1164
Other Games
• imaqtpie1144
• Shiphtur214
Upcoming Events
Sparkling Tuna Cup
11h 11m
Afreeca Starleague
11h 11m
Leta vs Soulkey
PiGosaur Cup
1d 1h
Kung Fu Cup
1d 12h
The PondCast
2 days
Replay Cast
3 days
CranKy Ducklings
4 days
Online Event
4 days
FEL
4 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
4 days
[ Show More ]
Sparkling Tuna Cup
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
WardiTV Weekly
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-27
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual
Stake Ranked Episode 3

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.