• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 23:38
CEST 05:38
KST 12:38
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup4StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)66Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2315
StarCraft 2
General
Back to SC2 after 14 years - Protoss CTRL groups? How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? October World Ranking: herO stays #1, ByuN returns SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ]
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
BW General Discussion Sagi.gg Launcher Released RepMastered™: replay sharing and analyzer site Bot on ladder BSL Season 23
Tourneys
2v2v2v2 Tournament [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 9193 users

[Interview] MMA on joining Acer and Fred Gau

Forum Index > SC2 General
Post a Reply
1 2 3 4 Next All
Seeker *
Profile Blog Joined April 2005
Where dat snitch at?37118 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-11-21 04:15:23
November 21 2012 04:12 GMT
#1
Official MMA and Cella announcement here: http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=383271



Fred "Kaoru" Gau

[image loading]

Source: This Is Game

Congratulations on your new pickup. Tell us how you feel about recruiting MMA and Cella.

I am so glad that Cella and MMA joined Acer. I went to Korea because of Iron Squid reasons and I was able to visit the SlayerS team house and that's where I got to meet them for the first time. Ever since then, I've always wanted the chance to work with them. SlayerS was my favorite Korean team. Of course, we didn't do any negotiating or business transactions while they were still affiliated with SlayerS. But then I realized I finally got that opportunity that I had been hoping for after SlayerS announced their disbandment. If MMA ever gets to step on a Code S finals stage again, I want to go to Korea and cheer him on.

Why did you choose MMA and Cella?

MMA is one of the most famous Korean players out there. Recently, Acer needed to solidify our roster so we were in need of a brand new player. Currently, Acer is home to really famous players like Scarlett and Nerchio so we couldn't really find anymore overseas players we liked. That's when we decided we wanted MMA. I truly believe that if MMA can just get back in to his old shape, he will become the best player again. I was convinced of this when I saw MMA win the Iron Squid Chapter 1.

As for Cella, we needed someone who could help out our influence in Korea. Cella has a lot of connections and he's very loyal to the teams he's a part of so I saw that recruiting him with MMA would be nothing but positive for us. Cella is also very famous overseas. I truly believe that Cella's fame will be able to greatly help us out in the Korean, Asian, and even the North American scene.

So Cella will be your representative for the Asian scene. Does that mean you are looking to recruit more Asian players?

I guess you could say that. Cella will be a manager for our team and also a coach. He's definitely going to be a great asset for when we want to recruit more Korean players and he'll accompany us whenever we go to overseas tournaments so he'll help us there too. I also believe that Cella will be able to teach our European players things about the game that Korean players understand very well. And definitely also for our team leagues. Also, if we get a chance to put our hand in the Korean market waters, I really want to go for it.

[image loading]

You announced a hint that you're recruiting a non European player and that you're recruiting a Zerg.

That's correct. Our hint was supposed to play a trick on the people. I did it this way to ensure that no one leaked this information before we released it and we also wanted to surprise everyone by announcing both Cella and MMA. Therefore, the non-European player was MMA, and the Zerg was Cella.

What will be their future plans? Will they be living overseas?

For now, they will be remaining in Korea. For MMA, the GSL is the most important tournament. MMA will be attending overseas tournaments but for now, his priority is IPL, Iron Squid, and the GSL. However, if he has a chance to attend an overseas qualifiers, then he's gonna go for it.

Anything else you would like to say?

I am very honored to have MMA on our team and grateful for the opportunity. I feel really good about MMA and Cella joining our team. I also want to thank This Is Game. I've always stayed on top of news announcements by TIG and now that I've actually had the opportunity to get an interview with TIG, I am glad. Lastly, I want to thank team Acer for everything and request that people follow my two new friends on twitter.

Fred Gau @AcerKaoru
Moon Sung Won @AcerMMA
Hong Seung Pyo @AcerCella



(T)Acer_MMA

[image loading]

Source: This Is Game

Congratulations on finding a new team. Tell us how you feel about getting in to Acer?

I am very glad that I was able to join a team like Acer. I received a lot of offers from many teams but back in May during the Iron Squid Chapter 1, I got to meet the manager of team Acer, Fred "Kaoru" Gau, and he approached me with such vigor that the process got handled pretty quickly.

So Fred Gau approached you first?

That's correct. When the news about me talking to Axiom and EG got released, he contacted me straight away. He kept asking for a chance and very strongly voiced his desire for me to be on team Acer.

After SlayerS disbanded, you must have received a ton of offers. Tell us why you chose Acer.

It's true that I received a lot of offers. But most of their contracts did not really fit what I wanted. Personally, I really wanted to feel liberated after joining a team and Acer turned out to fit every single one of my needs.

So what's going to happen from here? Are you going to move overseas?

Nope. I will leave Korea when I need to attend overseas tournaments but I will continue to live in Korea.

Your new teammates are players like Scarlett and Nerchio. Practice must be difficult with players like them.

I don't know yet but I'm pretty sure that's what's going to happen. I think for the time being, I'm going to have to practice alone in Korea.

What are your future plans?

For now, all my focus is on Code A and IPL 5. And right now, I am participating heavily in NASL and Iron Squid Chapter 2 online matches.

Are you liking the terms of your new contract?

Absolutely. I feel like I've been given the best offer out of every single Korean player so far.

Tell us about your future goals.

I am so glad I was able to join a great team like Acer. I'm going to make sure I repay them for giving me such a good deal by delivering phenomenal performances. I hope my fans will lie in eager anticipation for me.
ModeratorPeople ask me, "Seeker, what are you seeking?" My answer? "Sleep, damn it! Always sleep!"
TL+ Member
opterown *
Profile Blog Joined August 2011
Australia54784 Posts
November 21 2012 04:15 GMT
#2
wonder if this is the boost MMA needs to improve
ModeratorRetired LR Bonjwa
TL+ Member
Awesomeness
Profile Joined October 2008
Germany1361 Posts
November 21 2012 04:17 GMT
#3
Are you liking the terms of your new contract?

Absolutely. I feel like I've been given the best offer out of every single Korean player so far.


Sounds like a lot of money.
xlord 5:0
sertman
Profile Blog Joined February 2011
United States540 Posts
November 21 2012 04:17 GMT
#4
Your new teammates are players like Scarlett and Nerchio. Practice must be difficult with players like them.


oo was this an insult against those two o.O can someone who speaks korean clarify the intent?
opterown *
Profile Blog Joined August 2011
Australia54784 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-11-21 04:18:59
November 21 2012 04:18 GMT
#5
On November 21 2012 13:17 sertman wrote:
Show nested quote +
Your new teammates are players like Scarlett and Nerchio. Practice must be difficult with players like them.


oo was this an insult against those two o.O can someone who speaks korean clarify the intent?

i assume it means that scarlett and nerchio are really good? so MMA would struggle against them in practice
ModeratorRetired LR Bonjwa
TL+ Member
Netsky
Profile Joined October 2010
Australia1155 Posts
November 21 2012 04:19 GMT
#6
Really happy for both parties.

I'm sure MMA in particular wasn't cheap, but if he can thrive out of the team house environment he will be back to his beast-mode self in no time
GTR
Profile Blog Joined September 2004
51696 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-11-21 04:22:16
November 21 2012 04:21 GMT
#7
On November 21 2012 13:17 Awesomeness wrote:
Show nested quote +
Are you liking the terms of your new contract?

Absolutely. I feel like I've been given the best offer out of every single Korean player so far.


Sounds like a lot of money.


to be fair, esf players get zero to little salary.
don't think his salary compares to what the top kespa players earn though.
Commentator
Dodgin
Profile Blog Joined July 2011
Canada39254 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-11-21 04:23:49
November 21 2012 04:21 GMT
#8
On November 21 2012 13:17 sertman wrote:
Show nested quote +
Your new teammates are players like Scarlett and Nerchio. Practice must be difficult with players like them.


oo was this an insult against those two o.O can someone who speaks korean clarify the intent?


I think it means Scarlett and Nerchio are very good so beating them in practice is tough.

On November 21 2012 13:21 GTR wrote:
Show nested quote +
On November 21 2012 13:17 Awesomeness wrote:
Are you liking the terms of your new contract?

Absolutely. I feel like I've been given the best offer out of every single Korean player so far.


Sounds like a lot of money.


to be fair, esf players get zero to little salary.
don't think his salary compares to what the top kespa players earn though.


Well, if he knows what MC and Puma make and he says " It's the best offer of every single Korean player so far " It's probably pretty good.
ssxsilver
Profile Joined June 2007
United States4409 Posts
November 21 2012 04:23 GMT
#9
On November 21 2012 13:18 opterown wrote:
Show nested quote +
On November 21 2012 13:17 sertman wrote:
Your new teammates are players like Scarlett and Nerchio. Practice must be difficult with players like them.


oo was this an insult against those two o.O can someone who speaks korean clarify the intent?

i assume it means that scarlett and nerchio are really good? so MMA would struggle against them in practice


I think it refers to the cross-server issue since his answer sorta infers he'll have to solo practice until things get sorted out better.
Bibbit
Profile Blog Joined December 2009
Canada5377 Posts
November 21 2012 04:24 GMT
#10
On November 21 2012 13:17 sertman wrote:
Show nested quote +
Your new teammates are players like Scarlett and Nerchio. Practice must be difficult with players like them.


oo was this an insult against those two o.O can someone who speaks korean clarify the intent?

I'm taking it as a cross-server difficulty thing.
arcane1129
Profile Joined January 2011
United States273 Posts
November 21 2012 04:25 GMT
#11
On November 21 2012 13:17 sertman wrote:
Show nested quote +
Your new teammates are players like Scarlett and Nerchio. Practice must be difficult with players like them.


oo was this an insult against those two o.O can someone who speaks korean clarify the intent?


I assumed it had to do with cross server latency (and maybe language barrier?)
vthree
Profile Joined November 2011
Hong Kong8039 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-11-21 04:29:26
November 21 2012 04:28 GMT
#12
On November 21 2012 13:21 GTR wrote:
Show nested quote +
On November 21 2012 13:17 Awesomeness wrote:
Are you liking the terms of your new contract?

Absolutely. I feel like I've been given the best offer out of every single Korean player so far.


Sounds like a lot of money.


to be fair, esf players get zero to little salary.
don't think his salary compares to what the top kespa players earn though.


It is likely he is referring to koreans that got contracts from foreign tams and not kespa contracts. In terms of name value and accomplishments, only MC's signing is comparable.

As for the difficult practice, I think it is a compliment to Scarlett and Nerchio who are both considered top foreigners (and overall players) by Koreans.
opterown *
Profile Blog Joined August 2011
Australia54784 Posts
November 21 2012 04:31 GMT
#13
On November 21 2012 13:28 vthree wrote:
Show nested quote +
On November 21 2012 13:21 GTR wrote:
On November 21 2012 13:17 Awesomeness wrote:
Are you liking the terms of your new contract?

Absolutely. I feel like I've been given the best offer out of every single Korean player so far.


Sounds like a lot of money.


to be fair, esf players get zero to little salary.
don't think his salary compares to what the top kespa players earn though.


It is likely he is referring to koreans that got contracts from foreign tams and not kespa contracts. In terms of name value and accomplishments, only MC's signing is comparable.

As for the difficult practice, I think it is a compliment to Scarlett and Nerchio who are both considered top foreigners (and overall players) by Koreans.

MC was signed when he was still pretty good though, no? I would have expected him to have a larger salary, especially since SK is more wellknown than Acer for esports
ModeratorRetired LR Bonjwa
TL+ Member
Ender2701
Profile Blog Joined January 2012
United States581 Posts
November 21 2012 04:32 GMT
#14
Hopefully he will start doing well again now... It sounds like he got a very good salary 0.o
WigglingSquid
Profile Joined August 2011
5194 Posts
November 21 2012 04:37 GMT
#15
MMA in a green polo looks so... wrong! Nonetheless, awesome pickup by Team Acer. MMA seems very happy with his contract and hopefully this new peace of mind will contribute to his comeback.
Fenrax
Profile Blog Joined January 2010
United States5018 Posts
November 21 2012 04:40 GMT
#16
hints: 1. big name non-european 2. Zerg

well played Sir! you fooled everyone :D
illsick
Profile Joined March 2011
United States1770 Posts
November 21 2012 04:53 GMT
#17
I'm glad cella received a job opportunity
you live and you learn
dynwar7
Profile Joined May 2011
1983 Posts
November 21 2012 04:55 GMT
#18
I want to see longer interviews from MMA :D
Regarding the imbalance, hilarious to see Zergs defending themselves....
Integra
Profile Blog Joined January 2008
Sweden5626 Posts
November 21 2012 04:59 GMT
#19
Congrats to everyone involved, sounds like an awesome deal for both sponsors and players!

Anyone else finding MMAs answer regarding the deal quite funny?
...and he approached me with such vigor that the process got handled pretty quickly...

Wanna sign MMA? Then you better play rough!
"Dark Pleasure" | | I survived the Locust war of May 3, 2014
Weirdkid
Profile Blog Joined October 2010
Singapore2431 Posts
November 21 2012 05:01 GMT
#20
Hmm. Fred Gao or Fred Go, that's the question
"Answer not a fool according to his folly, lest you be like him yourself." - Proverbs 26:4
1 2 3 4 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 6h 22m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
RuFF_SC2 227
StarCraft: Brood War
Hyuk 529
NaDa 49
Leta 10
Icarus 10
TT1 10
Dota 2
NeuroSwarm210
League of Legends
JimRising 752
Other Games
summit1g10182
WinterStarcraft415
Mew2King110
ViBE90
ArmadaUGS43
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick1356
BasetradeTV294
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream135
[ Show 12 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• davetesta41
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• Azhi_Dahaki8
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
League of Legends
• Rush997
• Lourlo778
Upcoming Events
Sparkling Tuna Cup
6h 22m
INu's Battles
8h 22m
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
Shopify Rebellion Sundays
11h 22m
MilkiCow vs TBD
Clem vs TBD
BSL Open Qualifier
15h 22m
BSL Open Qualifier
15h 22m
Replay Cast
19h 22m
Afreeca Starleague
1d 6h
Rush vs Light
WardiTV Weekly
1d 7h
Monday Night Weeklies
1d 12h
Replay Cast
1d 19h
[ Show More ]
Afreeca Starleague
2 days
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
2 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
2 days
The PondCast
4 days
INu's Battles
4 days
Replay Cast
5 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
Copium Cup
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.