• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 05:18
CEST 11:18
KST 18:18
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror6[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
Rollback Netcode in Brood War615.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 202621Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)78
StarCraft 2
General
5.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 2026 [Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)
Tourneys
RSL 2026 Offline Finals LCQ Sign-Ups $3,500 WardiTV Not-Summer Championship ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) ISSL (IntoTheTV x SOOP SC2 League): Premier
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
Rollback Netcode in Brood War ChatGPT cheats at StarSkirmish SCAI tournament TL Sidebar missing streams [ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror Sagi.gg Launcher Released
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Simple Questions, Simple Answers Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do?
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25!
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
[Manga] One Piece Movie Discussion! Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread TeamLiquid Health and Fitness Initiative For 2023 MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8614 users

Shoot for the Moon, Find a Star

Blogs > Schickysc
Post a Reply
1 2 3 4 Next All
Schickysc
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
Canada380 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-10-31 03:37:14
October 31 2012 03:28 GMT
#1
It all started when I was thirteen years old. Shortly after beating Final Fantasy 7 for the second or third time, after hours of grinding battles for limit breaks and levels to beat the ultimate weapons, I was thirsty for a new game to master and love. The next day at school my friend brought me a demo CD from PC Gamer. It had a new game on there that he said I had to try, and it was called Starcraft. Some space based strategy game. Okay, I thought, I will give it a try. Little did I really know, that this game would envelope the next decade or two of my life.

After playing the demo about a million times, obsessing over Siege Tanks and Goliaths, I was hooked. Shane and I would dial into each others computers, and play long drawn out turtle fests. Each game started out with buzzing, booping, and beeping, only to come to an end by a mined out map, nuclear explosions, hundreds of tank shells, or a haze of cloaked wraiths. The next day at school after playing, my mind was always encumbered with ideas and thoughts of different strategies. After weeks of the demo, I just had to buy the game. I went to the local store in my small town, and promptly purchased the product. Little did I realize, I could now play a deeper story line, and play as two different races. My heart raced.

Delving into the story was incredible. For some reason it just stuck with me. It had me. It owned me. After playing the story at least two times, I started to get into comp stomps with my friend. Then BGH. Then mini tournaments with more friends. Now my school-day strategizing turned into classroom map making, designing maps I thought looked fun. After that, I turned to wanting to create a Final Fantasy 7 RPG in Starcraft. It never came to fruition, but it also never seized to make me happy, just thinking about which unit would be which character. Broodwar enhanced my love, with a fresh story and new units. My friend Richard and I would spend hours seeing how fast we could DT or Lurker rush. I always returned to this game after finishing others. It was truly the definition of replayable.

It was around this time that I decided I wanted my own computer. I had been working summers and saving money every chance I could. I went to the same small town computer shop, and told him I wanted to build a computer. I only had $700, so I didn't get much. Windows 98, Celeron processor, crappy video card, and some ram. I told the owner, that I wanted it built and tested, and then taken apart. I did my research, and was ready for the challenge. It was my technological lego. After assembling it back up, I was ready for Starcraft again. Later, this skill and passion with computers would translate into my current job, as a computer technician.

Fast forward many years, after numerous revisits to the campaign, and the ever so popular fastest map ever, it was finally announced. The only thing that could possibly excite me more than a Final Fantasy 7 remake for PS3, Starcraft 2. I drooled over the Battle Reports.

When the beta hit, I needed to get it. Needed. I watched all of the lucky peoples videos....Rise, Husky, Day9. Oh how I was jealous. When I got in the beta, roaches were still one pop with two armor. It was an unrefined, unbalanced game, but I knew it would be my game for years to come, just like the original. After watching what I considered to be mediocre casts from random people, I decided, I can try this. I did my research, practiced a few times, and casted my first game. Two weeks later, I had emails from companies wanting me to cast their sponsored tournaments. Being on the Day9 Countdown video, Steelseries America vs Europe, Co-pro casts with my home-country hero Huk (then on Millenium), and Morrows map making showmatches. It blew up, and I had the most exciting year of my life. Casting was clearly my new passion, which fed off my Starcraft and computer passion quite nicely.

Unfortunately, my time came to a bitter end, and I had to make the extremely uncomfortable decision to stop casting. Work, family, relationships, all obstacles I knew I had to balance with my dream of casting in the big leagues. The next year I was distant from Starcraft. Never missing a Day9 daily, or a single GSL match, I kept my eye and heart on the scene as much as possible without thinking too much of my failed dream.

My now fiance, then girlfriend, soon wife, has been the most supportive person in the world, and I cannot thank her enough. Attending Barcrafts, local tournaments, and giving me the courage to apply for the IPL 3 volunteer call (never got the opportunity), she hasn't missed a beat. When we talked about marriage, I made the joke "You don't get a diamond until you reach diamond league". That was her cue. She started playing the campaign to get into it. She shared my passion, and I knew I'd never share her, she had to be mine. As she worked off the missions, I purchased the ring. We went to a concert, and she had five missions left. I knew it was time. I told her she could put the remaining missions on IOU if she'd marry me. That was over a year ago. We leave in four nights to the Dominican Republic to get married with a dozen or more friends and family.

This year she bought a pumpkin and wanted to carve it with a theme. Somehow, she picked Starcraft. After she finished the Terran logo (my current race), I wanted to make 3 more. The Teamliquid logo, and the other 2 races. Here they are.

[image loading]
[image loading]

Recently I was on local TV for a Starcraft tournament, that shows episodes weekly. In January I will cast the King of the Prairies tournmanent. I can't wait. I still dream Huk could attend.

I used to have one passion, now i have two. Even though I never reached my dream of casting for a living, I have my dream girl, and still have my dream game. We both eagerly await Heart of the Swarm, to play the missions and laugh and kill Zergs. (This may pose a challenge for her, cause she hates those ugly bugs). Though, shes proven she can tackle anything. Maybe one day I will get to work with esports, and do some casting.

Here is a picture of us. It really makes me cherish the saying, shoot for the moon, even if you miss, you will still land among the stars. April is my Star, Starcraft, you're my moon.

[image loading]
[image loading]

****
Shoot for the Moon, Find a Star
Aerisky
Profile Blog Joined May 2012
United States12129 Posts
October 31 2012 03:35 GMT
#2
This is glorious ^^

Congratulations you two!! Enjoy the trip
Jim while Johnny had had had had had had had; had had had had the better effect on the teacher.
pigtheman
Profile Joined January 2009
United States333 Posts
October 31 2012 04:24 GMT
#3
wow congratulations and gl with everything, the pumpkins are just to beautiful
you guys are a cute couple ^^
*rawr* d(^_^d)
firehand101
Profile Blog Joined March 2011
Australia3152 Posts
October 31 2012 04:30 GMT
#4
It appears you have the perfect life <3
The opinions expressed by our users do not reflect the official position of TeamLiquid.net or its staff.
hp.Shell
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
United States2527 Posts
October 31 2012 04:46 GMT
#5
That rock is huge! Gj
Please PM me with any songs you like that you think I haven't heard before!
JLew
Profile Joined February 2011
Canada353 Posts
October 31 2012 06:20 GMT
#6
Awesome blog Schicky! Congrats and can't wait to do King of the Prairies and more events with you in the future.
@Triumph_eSports . www.Triumph-eSports.com
Schickysc
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
Canada380 Posts
October 31 2012 14:04 GMT
#7
Thanks everyone. It was both of our first times carving pumpkins.
Shoot for the Moon, Find a Star
meteorskunk
Profile Blog Joined August 2009
Canada546 Posts
October 31 2012 14:37 GMT
#8
I thought your name was schticky sc at first. You know, the schticky, that's good for removing pussy hair? Anyways I enjoyed hearing your story.I have never seen your casts, but now i'm curious.

I liked your younger days when your passion for starcraft would come to you uncontrollable. It's nice to read stuff like that because i came to the game online aorund 2001-2002.

Great pumpkins. I would totally love to lounge in their starcraft inspired mystique. Nice lady you found there too.

-all the best
Girl Blog Credentials: Comfortable talking to some women. Tried the sex once
RZAMazz
Profile Joined September 2011
Canada30 Posts
November 01 2012 00:59 GMT
#9
This is..... beautiful ='( . All the best you bouse's =D
myRZeth
Profile Joined June 2011
Germany1047 Posts
November 01 2012 14:02 GMT
#10
awesome
MstrJinbo
Profile Joined March 2011
United States1251 Posts
November 01 2012 14:12 GMT
#11
Cool blog. Congrats to both of you.
EvilTeletubby
Profile Blog Joined January 2004
Baltimore, USA22261 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-11-01 19:12:06
November 01 2012 17:23 GMT
#12
Awesome! Spotlighted.

Also, 'grats on the future wifey. She is a cutie! Make sure you remind her every day that you know how lucky you are.

My wife loved that she was also wearing a TL shirt.
Moderatorhttp://carbonleaf.yuku.com/topic/408/t/So-I-proposed-at-a-Carbon-Leaf-concert.html ***** RIP Geoff
Apom
Profile Blog Joined August 2011
France656 Posts
November 01 2012 17:51 GMT
#13
Most amazing ! Many cognratulations :D
n0ah
Profile Joined June 2011
United States250 Posts
November 01 2012 17:57 GMT
#14
Like a boss. I'm currently in the process of getting my girlfriend to play StarCraft 2. She's tried it before, but never really committed to it (not really her fault though)...

I told her the only thing I want for Christmas is for her to learn how to play the game so we could play together.
If this is to end in fire, then we will all burn together
Probe1
Profile Blog Joined August 2010
United States17920 Posts
November 01 2012 18:18 GMT
#15
Dude there's no way to easily express how flat I read most blogs. Read title, scan blog, scan comments, mostly move on. There's just so many long and useless blogs that.. anyway, I skipped back and read from the top when I saw your signature matched the title. It was an anomaly and it interested me. By the end you had me grinning by myself. From remembering when we were kids and computer games had complete surprises that were in every sense wonderful (two more races!) to making the analogy that building your first computer was like picking up where your last lego set left off, to the end.

Great blog man. Thank you for sharing it.
우정호 KT_VIOLET 1988 - 2012 While we are postponing, life speeds by
Arcanefrost
Profile Blog Joined August 2010
Belgium1257 Posts
November 01 2012 18:21 GMT
#16
Woooow
Valor is a poor substitute for numbers.
Al Bundy
Profile Joined April 2010
7257 Posts
November 01 2012 18:23 GMT
#17
5/5, story is heartwarming, and the pumpkins are perfect. Especially the Protoss one ^^
o choro é livre
Sinensis
Profile Blog Joined April 2009
United States2513 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-11-01 18:35:13
November 01 2012 18:34 GMT
#18
Great pumpkins, I knew we'd see some Sc2 themed pumpkins this year. Your fiance looks like Jennifer Aniston in that picture.
Ethoex
Profile Joined June 2012
United States164 Posts
November 01 2012 20:59 GMT
#19
Great story and good luck with your marriage and trying to cast again. ( I loved the pumpkins)
"Until the very, very top, in almost anything all that matters, is how much work you put in. The only problem is that most people can't work hard even at things they do enjoy, much less things they don't have a real passion for." - Greg "IdrA" Fields
Aber
Profile Joined March 2012
Sweden332 Posts
November 01 2012 22:48 GMT
#20
wow that liquid pumpkin was the most awesome thing ever! shame you live on the other side of the water or i´d ask you to do one more

gongrats and gl
Trying is the first step towards failure
1 2 3 4 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 42m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft: Brood War
Calm 5939
Rain 3847
Leta 2470
Soulkey 418
Soma 333
BeSt 262
Rush 216
Barracks 179
firebathero 127
Killer 50
[ Show more ]
soO 49
Sexy 46
Shinee 37
Stork 35
Shine 32
HiyA 18
Hm[arnc] 17
Sharp 13
Sacsri 12
sorry 9
Noble 4
Terrorterran 3
Dota 2
Gorgc3291
XcaliburYe164
League of Legends
JimRising 506
Super Smash Bros
Mew2King70
Other Games
gofns25093
WinterStarcraft727
Sick173
Pyrionflax167
Organizations
Other Games
BasetradeTV191
StarCraft: Brood War
lovetv 6
[ Show 12 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• 3DClanTV 61
• Sammyuel 41
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• lizZardDota2230
League of Legends
• Jankos2430
Upcoming Events
Sparkling Tuna Cup
42m
Patches Events
5h 42m
BSL Open Qualifier
9h 42m
BSL Open Qualifier
9h 42m
OSC
13h 42m
OSC
1d 2h
WardiTV Weekly
2 days
PiGosaur Cup
2 days
The PondCast
4 days
Online Event
5 days
[ Show More ]
Korean StarCraft League
5 days
Afreeca Starleague
5 days
Rush vs Soulkey
CranKy Ducklings
6 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
HCC Season 3
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.