• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 16:43
CEST 22:43
KST 05:43
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon111
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double Recent Patches and the Future Stellar Fest 1 Replay Pack
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) 2026 GSTL Grand Finals SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ] ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
Bot on ladder a Announcement on the JEDI Ringing Where can I find Flash replays that work? Official StarCraft website teases new content ahead of BlizzCon? BW General Discussion
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero Nintendo Switch Thread
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread All you football fans (soccer)! Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
MarineLorD Fan Club The Creator Fan Club The ShoWTimE Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
Violent-Cooperative Play and…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 7458 users

[Interview] LG-IM_Mvp - Life Changed By Father

Forum Index > SC2 General
Post a Reply
1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All
Weirdkid
Profile Blog Joined October 2010
Singapore2431 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-09-24 14:10:59
September 10 2012 17:01 GMT
#1
Translated from http://s.163.com/12/0909/17/8AVPQKV500314D0E.html and http://s.163.com/12/0909/17/8AVPQKV500314D0E_2.html (Chinese)
Original article at http://sports.news.nate.com/view/20120831n10872?mid=s1201 (Korean)

[T/N: I wasn't able to translate the entire opening segment of the article because the Chinese translation gave a weird summary of it haha. But the interview is there in its entirety, subject to translation skills ]

Edit: Haha I changed the name of the interview to reflect her real name. She's a stargirl, and her name is Seo Yeon Ji. Just felt a bit bad to just label her as "stargirl" since there're quite a few of them .




[image loading]



Mvp - Game genius?


Seo Yeon Ji: I hear your name quite frequently, but this is the first time I'm actually meeting you face to face. Really pleased to meet you.

Mvp: I never made it to the actual OSL when I was at Woongjin, so it's the first time I'm seeing you too (laughs). When I heard you were coming to interview me today, I was really looking forward to it. You're beautiful indeed.

Seo Yeon Ji: Seems like you heard quite a lot about me.

Mvp: When I was in Woongjin, the players would talk about you after they came back from OSL. They'd talk about how pretty Stargirl is (laughs). I guess they'd probably be quite jealous that I got interviewed by you.

[image loading]


Seo Yeon Ji: Actually, I've been doing interviews with the Kespa players, but I wanted to do something a little different this week, so I found you Mvp. I hope that there'd be a lot of new topics coming out of this.

Mvp: What if it doesn't go as you hope, and there're no new topics to talk about (laughs). But either way, it is an honour to be the first amongst the GSL players to be interviewed. I guess I've already succeeded (laughs).

Seo Yeon Ji: I think that you are the most successful player, both in terms of prize money and number of championship wins, and you fulfil the conditions to be a legend. I think that's really cool.

Mvp: I'm really glad that there are people who think of me like that. Whenever I think of it, I feel like it was a right decision to go into gaming.

Seo Yeon Ji: How were you like as a child? I frequently hear that you are a really talented gamer, a genius.

Mvp: I'm not a genius (laughs). I really liked playing games, and not just Starcraft 1, but all the different games. I wanted to try all the games that were released.

I guess I first came into contact with Starcraft 1 when I was in the sixth grade of elementary school. I played about 2 games with a friend and found it really fun and interesting. After that, when I was in middle school, I bought the CD for Starcraft 1 and I was able to play it at home too. I would play until I'd forget the time. It was really fun.

When I went head to head against my friends, it was quite clear that I was better than them (laughs). But I don't think I'm really a genius. I just adapt to games better and have a better understanding. I guess because of this, my skills tend to improve really fast once I get serious about a particular game.

[image loading]


Seo Yeon Ji: You're a game genius indeed (laughs).

Mvp: The problem is that even though my understanding of games and adaptability towards games are very strong, I get tired of a game really fast. I play really well when I'm really engrossed in the game, but once my interest in the particular game declines, my skill drops rapidly too. This is really a problem. In fact, it's the reason I retired from Starcraft 1.

Seo Yeon Ji: Talent's really important when it comes to gaming. But no matter what you're doing, once you've lost your passion, it's really hard to persevere on the path.

Mvp: Passion is indeed really important for gaming too, but some people, no matter how much they try, never make it to the very top in their lives. I guess you do need a certain amount of talent, as well as the endurance to make it at a certain level.


The father who changed his life


Seo Yeon Ji: Even though you really liked gaming, I don't think you thought of being a pro-gamer then? You mentioned that you grew tired of a game really fast. How did you go on this path of professional gaming?

Mvp: It's mainly thanks to my father. We had a computer at home then, and my father would watch as I play Starcraft 1, and occasionally, he'd play a game or two too. Maybe because of that, he could tell that I was pretty good (laughs).

The fact is that I didn't even know what a professional gamer was. It was my dad who asked if I wanted to try playing games professionally. At first, I was totally uninterested, but my dad asked me seriously, and I eventually went on this path of professional gaming.

Seo Yeon Ji: That's really interesting. Other parents try their best to prevent their children when they hear them wanting to be a pro-gamer.

Mvp: My dad was really young at heart, and really open minded too. It's actually quite hard to be successful based on studying. Also, conditions in my family were not that great then, and it was difficult to concentrate on studying.

My father thought that I would be successful when he saw my skills in Starcraft, and with his encouragement, I started having dreams of being a pro-gamer and started taking part in various amateur tournaments. I came in third the first time I entered a competition, and it proves my father really has pretty good foresight.

[image loading]
[T/N: Favourite photo. So cute ]


Seo Yeon Ji: Do you remember any of the players you played at the amateur competitions?

Mvp: There was Fantasy from SKT, who's now become a top player, and Shuttle from STX, and Crazy-Hydra from KT and others. I really met a lot of players. I also remember when I won against Fantasy (laughs).

Every time my father saw me achieve good results in the amateur competitions, he would encourage me saying, "Do you realise your potential now? You really got to work hard yea." Thanks to him, I started doing even better.

Seo Yeon Ji: Your father's a really great guy.

Mvp: I got to know about the courage games also through my father. The fact is that I didn't even know what I needed to do to become a pro-gamer. But I was really lucky, and I even made it to the top 4 in the WCG preliminaries. In the semifinals of that tournament, I went up against SKT's current assistant coach, iloveoov.

Seo Yeon Ji: How interesting. You actually ran into iloveoov at the WCG preliminaries.

Mvp: To be honest, I was really confident in my abilities, but pro-gamers are really just different (laughs). iloveoov was a really great player in 2006. But I already managed to get into the top 4, and was thus eligible for the draft.

Seo Yeon Ji: You made your debut in 2008, so it seems like none of the teams actually came in for you that soon?

Mvp: You're really sharp (laughs). I was just taking part in the drafts during that year and a half, but none of the teams chose me. Nowadays, the players who take part in the draft are all generally able to find teams. There were too many people taking part in the drafts then, and there was also a limit when the teams are choosing players, so that made the competition really stiff.

During that time, my father was the one who provided me with the strength to go on. That's why I was able to continue taking part in the drafts and in the amateur competitions. My dad would say, "Some day, someone who really appreciates how good a player you are will come by." And so I was able to wait patiently rather than being impatient.

Seo Yeon Ji: Your life was changed because of your dad.

Mvp: It wasn't just this time. There was another time after that when my life was changed as well. As I was getting tired of Starcraft 1, I thought of retiring. It was he who led me to Starcraft 2. In fact, when I was thinking of retiring, I was actually considering retiring from games altogether. It was my dad who persuaded me to give Starcraft 2 a try.

When I think about it now, if it wasn't for my father's persuasion and guidance, I don't know how I would have turned out. I'd probably be scraping by with part time jobs, and perhaps living an ordinary, boring, and uninteresting life.

I think it was the right choice to switch to Starcraft 2. I really want to thank my father for changing my life time and time again.

[image loading]

Seo Yeon Ji: Even now, your father is still a great source of your strength.

Mvp: Sure. There are many issues which are really tiring, but I am able to withstand it up to now thanks to my father. If not for him, it'd have been really really tough. I am really very happy to be a son that my father can be proud of.

Seo Yeon Ji: So if the parents make an effort to understand their children's talents, and if the child listens to his/her parents, good results will come out of it.

Mvp: I didn't see it then either, but now I understand that one should really listen to their parents when one is younger.
"Answer not a fool according to his folly, lest you be like him yourself." - Proverbs 26:4
XiaoJoyce-
Profile Blog Joined December 2009
China2908 Posts
September 10 2012 17:02 GMT
#2
Who is Stargirl?
Pew! Pew! Chitty Chitty Bang Bang!
Kergy
Profile Joined December 2010
Peru2011 Posts
September 10 2012 17:09 GMT
#3
Sorry for being off-topic but is she really Fantasy's girlfriend? I forgot where I heard that rumor.
Everyday Girl's Day~!
Gorlin
Profile Joined November 2010
United States2753 Posts
September 10 2012 17:10 GMT
#4
Fucking awesome, love you Mvp.
Asha
Profile Blog Joined November 2010
United Kingdom38257 Posts
September 10 2012 17:13 GMT
#5
Thanks weirdkid this is great.

Almost as great as Mvp's awesome dad.
ZidaneTribal
Profile Joined September 2007
United States2800 Posts
September 10 2012 17:13 GMT
#6
she looks like jet li
fuck lag
Weirdkid
Profile Blog Joined October 2010
Singapore2431 Posts
September 10 2012 17:14 GMT
#7
On September 11 2012 02:09 Kergy wrote:
Sorry for being off-topic but is she really Fantasy's girlfriend? I forgot where I heard that rumor.


Haha no idea about this. Maybe that's the reason Fantasy lost to Jangbi *gasp*
"Answer not a fool according to his folly, lest you be like him yourself." - Proverbs 26:4
SHOOG
Profile Blog Joined December 2011
United States1639 Posts
September 10 2012 17:16 GMT
#8
Thanks for translating this.
Mvp has a great dad. Any parent who is willing to support and encourage their children in different ways like professional gaming have to be admired.

Also, that picture of Mvp and Stargirl laughing is great ^^
Wildmoon
Profile Joined December 2011
Thailand4189 Posts
September 10 2012 17:17 GMT
#9
All support Mvp gets from his parent really show through his result.
LemonyTang
Profile Joined March 2011
United Kingdom437 Posts
September 10 2012 17:19 GMT
#10
Amazing read, thank you so much
Mvp #1
TsGBruzze
Profile Blog Joined April 2012
Sweden1190 Posts
September 10 2012 17:20 GMT
#11
damn mvp's father sounds like a good man!
''you got to yolo things up to win''
ref4
Profile Joined March 2012
2933 Posts
September 10 2012 17:21 GMT
#12
thought that was Mvp's gf

inb4 Mvp's gf gets jelly
Lockitupv2
Profile Joined March 2012
United States496 Posts
September 10 2012 17:22 GMT
#13
If you remember in another interview, he said he parents were very poor while he was growing up. What I believe drives him is his love for his parents as well as the drive to help them out. He is fighting for something that no other progammer is and that is what makes him play like a god.

+ Show Spoiler +
And a lot of natural talent.
That's right folks, I definitely heard an ethnic twang in that voice, so everyone put your guesses on the screen. It's everyone's favorite game, it's Guess the Minority!!!
Fragile51
Profile Joined October 2011
Netherlands15767 Posts
September 10 2012 17:23 GMT
#14
Man, Mvp's dad sounds like a pretty rad dude.

Thanks for the translation! :D
Wildmoon
Profile Joined December 2011
Thailand4189 Posts
September 10 2012 17:25 GMT
#15
I am so glad that right now he can support his parent with all the money he got from winning. He even get salary from LG. A player like him deserve it.
aoe2fan
Profile Joined October 2010
Sweden700 Posts
September 10 2012 17:26 GMT
#16
Why are there more pictures of the interviewer than the interviewed player?

She is pretty though
Darneck
Profile Joined September 2010
Sweden1394 Posts
September 10 2012 17:31 GMT
#17
Cheers for the translation
poorcloud
Profile Joined April 2011
Singapore2748 Posts
September 10 2012 17:34 GMT
#18
MVP is really the role model of SC2 so far. There are probably more charismatic/more skilled/more attractive players but no one is as suitable as MVP to be the perfect representative of SC2.
Diks
Profile Joined January 2010
Belgium1880 Posts
September 10 2012 17:37 GMT
#19
MVP has an amazing dad !!!
Great interview !

<3 MVP even moar
musai
Profile Joined May 2010
Canada552 Posts
September 10 2012 17:39 GMT
#20
Toss girl still #1 interviewer.
1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Stellar Fest
13:00
Stellar Fest 2 The Moon: Qualifier Day 1
SteadfastSC522
EnkiAlexander 91
LiquipediaDiscussion
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
SteadfastSC 522
ZombieGrub143
JuggernautJason92
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 22318
Soulkey 258
White-Ra 170
Mini 162
Trap 23
ToSsGirL 22
Shine 18
League of Legends
Doublelift2104
Counter-Strike
fl0m1470
shoxiejesuss561
C9.Mang0171
Super Smash Bros
Mew2King83
Heroes of the Storm
Grubby3943
Khaldor2187
Liquid`Hasu1740
Trikslyr41
Other Games
ArmadaUGS2098
summit1g2080
B2W.Neo472
shahzam420
Pyrionflax175
UpATreeSC66
Railgan26
Organizations
Other Games
BasetradeTV175
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream100
[ Show 17 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• intothetv
• Migwel
• IndyKCrew
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• Kozan
StarCraft: Brood War
• blackmanpl 56
• Azhi_Dahaki29
• HerbMon 2
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
• BSLYoutube
Dota 2
• WagamamaTV453
League of Legends
• TFBlade925
• Noizen134
Other Games
• Scarra1434
• imaqtpie1107
• Shiphtur277
Upcoming Events
The PondCast
13h 17m
OSC
16h 17m
Stellar Fest
16h 17m
OSC
1d 3h
Stellar Fest
1d 16h
CranKy Ducklings
2 days
Online Event
2 days
FEL
2 days
AI Arena Tournament
2 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
2 days
[ Show More ]
Sparkling Tuna Cup
3 days
INu's Battles
3 days
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
BSL Open Qualifier
3 days
BSL Open Qualifier
3 days
Replay Cast
4 days
WardiTV Weekly
4 days
Replay Cast
5 days
INu's Battles
5 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-27
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual
Stake Ranked Episode 3

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.