• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 20:14
CEST 02:14
KST 09:14
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach0[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon101Weekly Cups (Aug 30-Sep 7): herO thrives amid growing schism10
StarCraft 2
General
Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple How do you feel about the StarCraft shooter announcement at BlizzCon 2026? Balance hotfix patch 5.0.16b (July 16) Blizzard Classic Cup @ BlizzCon 2026 - $100k prize pool The Death of Cheese: From a Professional Cheeser
Tourneys
2026 GSTL Grand Finals ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament Master Swan Open (Global Bronze-Master 2) Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20)
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
Bot on ladder BGH Auto Balance -> http://bghmmr.eu/ an AI researcher's take on the ladder bot [ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach StarCraft Human 'N' AI League
Tourneys
[Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 1 [IPSL] IPSL is Back With Winter 26-27!
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Nintendo Switch Thread EVE Corporation
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread All you football fans (soccer)!
Fan Clubs
MarineLorD Fan Club The Creator Fan Club The ShoWTimE Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
Violent-Cooperative Play and…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 10259 users

Interview with HyuN, the new member of TSL

Forum Index > SC2 General
Post a Reply
1 2 3 4 5 Next All
yoonstar91
Profile Blog Joined October 2011
88 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-11-29 23:20:08
November 29 2011 20:24 GMT
#1
Interview With (Z)HyuN
I will prove myself to the Starcraft 2 Community within 3 months!

[image loading]

On the 28th, Ko “(Z)HyuN” Seok Hyun moved in to the TSL House. HyuN joined the MBC Game Heroes in the year 2005 and has been a pro-gamer ever since with the total official record of 84 Wins and 110 Loss.(Starcraft Broodwar) But ever since the dispatching of the team, he has been searching for a right direction with his life and decide to proceed on as a Starcraft 2 Pro-gamer.

When we met HyuN at the TSL Team House on the 29th, he looked very bright and happy. He was already close with his teammates and was beginning his path as a Starcraft 2 pro-gamer. He stated that “my goal is to prove myself to the Starcraft 2 Community within 3 months.” Additionally he stated that “I really wanted to continue playing games and all I want to do now is work hard and get better.”

How does it feel to join the team TSL?

Since this is a new beginning for me, all I want to do is work hard. It feels weird now to be part of the Starcraft 2 and I am also very nervous. I have been pondering and worrying about what I should do with my life for a very long time. Now, I feel that I have a clear path ahead of me therefore I am able to work hard for it. But the past few weeks have indeed been a very troubling time for me.

You must have pondering about what you want to do with your life for a very long time.

What kind of thoughts were going through your mind?

I was thinking, should I continue playing games as a pro-gamer. I’m somewhat aged, therefore I was also pondering whether I should go to the mandatory army service now.

What made you decide to play Starcraft 2?

I really wanted to continue playing games. Truthfully, I was confident that I will be able to be better in Starcraft 1. People around me doubted that I will be successful with Starcraft 1 due to my age, but I wanted to prove them wrong and prove them that being old does not matter as a Starcraft 1 pro-gamer. Unfortunately Starcraft 1 did not work out too well for me and I had to find a different path. I knew a lot of the players who have moved on to the Starcraft 2 and also the TSL coach, therefore that convinced me to play Starcraft 2 professionally.

You must have had a long period of practicing alone. How were you doing with the practice?

Because I was not in a team for a period of time, it was really hard to create new ideas or optimize a build order alone. I watched a lot of live VODs or replays. I think I will be able to realize what I'm capable of once I practice for a while at the TSL House. When I was practicing alone, I tried to practice as much as possible. But I believe the practice I’m doing now at the TSL House is the “real” practice.

Realistically speaking, how would you rate your Starcraft 2 skills?

I played for a month now and I was able to move up to the Masters League, but such achievement does not mean anything to me. I still believe I am way behind the other Starcraft 2 pro-gamers. One can not rate a player's skill based on the ladder points only, right? I believe that practicing alone is not a very legitimate practice. The Starcraft 2 begins for me now.


[image loading]

Did you watch Starcraft 2 while you were a Starcraft 1 pro-gamer?

Haha, Nope. I had no clue what was going on with Starcraft 2 and I only heard some news from my friends. In fact, at first I did not know that Queens can inject into the Hatchery to produce additional larvae and I played without it and I could never figure out why I would lose all my games. One day Seo “(Z)Shark” Gyung Jong was with me and was astounded by the fact that I did not know much about the Queens. Haha. Currently, I am just learning the game therefore I really enjoy playing the game and I am very eager to improve.

Recently Park "Fin "Ji Soo (also known as (T)fOrGG) has recently joined Starcraft 2 and has been improving a lot within a short period of tie. The fans must be looking forward to a similar result with you.

I came over to Starcraft 2 with the confidence that I will do well. Fin has been a great example for me to learn from. Also there are other players like Kim "(P)Oz" Hak Soo who also used to play Starcraft 1, that are doing well in Starcraft 2. I believe I can do well too, but the most important factor for me will be my effort. I believe Starcraft 2 will be very similar to Starcraft 1. I will have to practice A LOT. Without effort, I am nothing but a worthless body haha.


Do you know how the fans are reacting to your decision of joining the Starcraft 2?

I have not been able to check yet, but the more fans the merrier! I am also somewhat pressured due to the attentions, but I think everything will be resolved if I do well. I did not get into Starcraft 2 just to be a mediocre. I will continue working hard for my goal and I hope a lot of fans will cheer for me.

When do you plan to play on a broadcast?

There aren’t any qualifiers left for this year, therefore I am aiming for the first qualifier for the GSL next year. My goal is to make it to the First Season Code A. I believe I have about 2 months and I think I’ll be able to get a better understanding of my skill level by then. Even if I fail to make it to the Code A, I think being able to recognize my level of skills will help me work even harder to improve.

Starcraft 2 e-sport provides a lot of opportunities with foreign tournaments. Interested?

Yes, I would like to be able to play in foreign tournaments. If I reach the level where I get to play in foreign events, doesn’t that mean my skills are recognized? I will try my best to be able to play in foreign tournaments. I am quite jealous right now of how popular players like oGs.(P)MC and (P)MarineKingPrime. I want to be successful like them too. I believe that I need to catch up to the skill levels of the Starcraft 2 gamers within 6 months. If I am able to accomplish that, I should be able to qualify for the foreign tournaments naturally.

A day has passed since you have joined TSL. What’s the team atmosphere like?

The atmosphere is quite lovely. Coach and the players are very nice to me. I am currently the oldest player in the team, therefore I have to do well and lead them. All my teammates are so nice. I have a lot of experiences living in a pro-gaming team house and I am very good at adapting to the changes, therefore I am not worried. I think all I have to do is practice hardcore. I know it’s only been a day, but I’m already very used to the team. I love the team house too.

A lot of fans are looking forward to your ceremonies in Starcraft 2.

Right now is not the right time to be thinking about ceremonies yet. Haha. Even in Starcraft 1, I never really prepared ceremonies and just went with the flow. Also, I am currently not in the status to be thinking about the ceremonies. It’s too early. I am still learning this game and I can only show ceremonies if I’m good enough to be able to play on a live broadcast. Therefore my priority right now is to win. Plus, you don’t have to worry about my ceremonies, I am more than confident with them. I noticed that MC has been doing a lot of ceremonies recently and that inspires me to work even harder. I don’t know when I’ll be playing against MC, but we shall have a ceremony battle (in a mannered way because he’s a good friend of mine).

[image loading]

Do you know other Starcraft 1 players that are pondering about whether to move on to Starcraft 2 or not?

Not from my team: MBC Game. Also most of the Starcraft 1 Trainees are continuing to play Starcraft 1. Also I know that a lot of the other players are considering doing the mandatory military service. I’m sure they’re all going through a very hard time. I know that Jung “(Z)ZerG[kaL]” Jae Woo has just gone to the military service 20 days ago. I think all the players are going through hard time right now and I’m sure they’ll make the right decisions.


You said you watched a lot of VODs when you were practicing alone. Is there any Zerg player that you consider worth learning from?

I did not know IM.(Z)NesTea was that good, but when I was watching the VOD, I watched him win a lot of games. The finals against IM.Losira was EPIC. His build is very natural and I believe he is an excellent player. I have a lot to learn from him. Also coLMVP (Z)DongRaeGu’s ZvT is very memorable to me. I noticed that DRG is brilliant with his Mutalisk control and his decision making skills. I also viewed FXO (Z)Leenock as a great player and now he’s in the GSL finals. Also the Zerg players in my team, TSL, are very good. I plan to learn from all the players, but first I will learn from my teammates.

What did people around you say when you decided to play Starcraft 2?

They knew I was pondering about the issue for a very long time, therefore they gave me a lot of advices and talked with me a lot. Also a lot of the Starcraft 1 coaches told me great stories and they really helped. I believe I made the right decision. I really wanted to play the game. Before joining the TSL, I was in a huge slump and was struggling a lot and I am very thankful to all the people that helped me through the slump. A lot of people told me to continue on with Starcraft 1 and that Starcraft 2 will require much more work. (Z)Shark helped me a lot during the times of distress. I’m sure (Z)Shark was going through a hard time too and I am very thankful to him for being there for me.

What are your goals?

I can no longer play Starcraft 1, but I find this to be a great opportunity for a new start. I am ready and eager to work hard, so please continue to support me. All I can think of right now is to work hardcore. My goal is 3 month. Within 3 month, I hope to be able to catch-up. I hope you guys will continue supporting me!


Original Article



Thanks for reading! Enjoy~
Translated by Kevin
Follow me if you like my translations on twitter @yoonstar91
QTIP.
Profile Blog Joined January 2011
United States2113 Posts
November 29 2011 20:27 GMT
#2
Nice!!! I wanted this.
"Trash Micro but Win. Its Marin." - Min Chul
ptrpb
Profile Joined March 2011
Canada753 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-11-29 20:30:40
November 29 2011 20:29 GMT
#3
Article is slightly inaccurate. fOrGG has been playing SC2 since January 2011 according to his Raptor account.
MBAACC | SG | shit at fighting games
Attilanator
Profile Joined March 2011
United States154 Posts
November 29 2011 20:29 GMT
#4
Thanks for the translation, Hot_Bid will be happy to know that Brood war is coming, indeed.
MC | HuK | TLO |WhiteRa | Tyler | DIMAGA | Naniwa | Boxer | Strelok | HerO Hwaiting!
dgwow
Profile Blog Joined December 2010
Canada1024 Posts
November 29 2011 20:30 GMT
#5
I'm excited to see what HyuN can do! Although I've never seen him as a BW player
Don't let those anti-cheese advocates tell you what to do. Rush to meet life head on!
UnKooL
Profile Joined August 2010
Korea (South)1667 Posts
November 29 2011 20:30 GMT
#6
What race does he play in Starcraft 2?
LoL: UnKooL and SoloQFiendUnKooL, SC2: UnKooL
JinDesu
Profile Blog Joined August 2010
United States3990 Posts
November 29 2011 20:31 GMT
#7
oh my gosh, he got advice from Shark? Shark! Come over to SC2!
Yargh
IMoperator
Profile Joined October 2011
4476 Posts
November 29 2011 20:31 GMT
#8
It's always interesting to hear about how players start off with such little knowledge and can become beasts in just a few months. Hyun didn't know that queens can inject larva and Major (gositerran) didn't know stuff like creep giving sight etc.
Soleron
Profile Blog Joined September 2010
United Kingdom1324 Posts
November 29 2011 20:31 GMT
#9
Great attitude!
kakaman
Profile Blog Joined January 2010
United States1576 Posts
November 29 2011 20:32 GMT
#10
It must have been so heartwarming to join TSL, then have 3 teammates leave.

Let's see what he can do, Nada said Zerg BW players have the most upside.
StarStruck
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
25339 Posts
November 29 2011 20:32 GMT
#11
Shark had to teach him about larva inject? Oh boy.

;o
Grettin
Profile Joined April 2010
42416 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-11-29 20:35:41
November 29 2011 20:34 GMT
#12
Thanks for the translation. Good interview!

On November 30 2011 05:30 UnKooL wrote:
What race does he play in Starcraft 2?


Pretty sure it's still Zerg

"In fact, at first I did not know that Queens can inject into the Hatchery to produce additional larvae and I played without it and I could never figure out why I would lose all my games. One day Seo “Shark” Gyung Jong was with me and was astounded by the fact that I did not know that queens can inject to produce additional larvae. Haha. Currently, I am just learning the game therefore I really enjoy playing the game and very eager to improve. "
"If I had force-fields in Brood War, I'd never lose." -Bisu
mordk
Profile Blog Joined November 2010
Chile8385 Posts
November 29 2011 20:35 GMT
#13
Hahahaha Hyun totally failed at zerg macro
Altern
Profile Joined September 2010
United States1053 Posts
November 29 2011 20:35 GMT
#14
Hyun had the best group selection ceremonies Haha, hopefully he will be successful so he can show more

perhaps shark will reinvent muta micro :p
zyzq
Profile Joined February 2011
United States3123 Posts
November 29 2011 20:38 GMT
#15
I wanna see Shark play SC2.
McKTenor13
Profile Blog Joined November 2010
United States1383 Posts
November 29 2011 20:46 GMT
#16
It seems he's really enjoying the game. I hope he does really well in Sc2 and helps others transition over too. I'm excited for this!
If you can chill. chill. - Liquid'Tyler
Itsmedudeman
Profile Blog Joined March 2011
United States19229 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-11-29 20:50:12
November 29 2011 20:48 GMT
#17
He seems very eager, but TSL zergs have always been lacking, and I don't think of Revival as a good player. Come on, the guy goes ling roach baneling in TvZ; I really hope Hyun is mentored by someone better. fOrGG has an amazing team right now... TSL is rebuilding, and with someone who has 1 month of sc2 experience as a main building block.
Nouar
Profile Joined May 2009
France3270 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-11-29 20:50:45
November 29 2011 20:50 GMT
#18
It's still amazing me how a progamer considering to play for a living doesn't even bother to read and research the spells and units in the game....
It's the same when I read and hear about players not knowing how to change the options in the game or booting/logging in the computer and just knowing how to play... (and DO NOT say i'm bullshitting, I WAS an admin and tech guy in tournaments before, and this is from MY experience, too.)
NoiR
Elefanto
Profile Joined May 2010
Switzerland3584 Posts
November 29 2011 21:17 GMT
#19
Has Hyun twitter or something to encourage him?
Would be nice if someone knows (most likely ryo lol)
wat
bgx
Profile Joined August 2010
Poland6595 Posts
November 29 2011 21:23 GMT
#20
On November 30 2011 05:38 zyzq wrote:
I wanna see Shark play SC2.

gogo new muta micro plox
Stork[gm]
1 2 3 4 5 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Replay Cast
00:00
2026 GSTL: Grand Finals
CranKy Ducklings29
LiquipediaDiscussion
OSC
23:00
OSC Masters Cup #151 Qualifier
davetesta33
Liquipedia
BSL Open Qualifier
19:00
Jungsu & Hasu #1
LiquipediaDiscussion
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
RuFF_SC2 126
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 11093
Artosis 869
White-Ra 137
Dota 2
monkeys_forever771
League of Legends
Doublelift6374
JimRising 624
Counter-Strike
fl0m17243
Super Smash Bros
hungrybox844
AZ_Axe160
Other Games
summit1g8578
KnowMe265
Maynarde192
ArmadaUGS119
Mew2King31
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick1064
BasetradeTV178
StarCraft: Brood War
Kim Chul Min (afreeca) 11
lovetv 6
[ Show 9 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Hupsaiya 61
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Upcoming Events
Afreeca Starleague
9h 46m
Soma vs Jaedong
WardiTV Weekly
10h 46m
Monday Night Weeklies
15h 46m
Sparkling Tuna Cup
1d 9h
Afreeca Starleague
1d 9h
Leta vs Soulkey
PiGosaur Cup
1d 23h
Kung Fu Cup
2 days
The PondCast
3 days
Replay Cast
3 days
CranKy Ducklings
5 days
[ Show More ]
Online Event
5 days
FEL
5 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
5 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
6 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-27
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual
Stake Ranked Episode 3

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.