• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 19:01
CEST 01:01
KST 08:01
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror2[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup8StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)67Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2316
StarCraft 2
General
How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) Back to SC2 after 14 years - Protoss CTRL groups? October World Ranking: herO stays #1, ByuN returns
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ]
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
Fantasy returning? Sagi.gg Launcher Released BW General Discussion PLAYzone Challenge - open offline tour in Prague 20-year-old Valorant player starting StarCraft
Tourneys
[Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 2v2v2v2 Tournament [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 9122 users

[Interview] Code S Winner

Forum Index > SC2 General
Post a Reply
1 2 3 Next All
Weirdkid
Profile Blog Joined October 2010
Singapore2431 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-10-23 16:55:29
October 23 2011 16:44 GMT
#1
SlayerS MMA
[image loading]
Source (Chinese) - http://www.sc2.com.cn/1110/183250584623.html
Original Source (Korean) - http://www.thisisgame.com/board/view.php?id=877194&category=13439

Q: How does it feel winning your first Code S tournament?
A: I am really really happy, and to win it at Blizzcon in America really means a lot to me. I never thought I would have to chance to win the championship in front of so many fans.

Q: What does this win mean to you?
A: I feel that today's win really belongs to the whole team. All this time, our team has never had a champion, and Ga-Yeon (Slayers_Jessica) (T/N: He uses a respectful way of addressing Ga-Yeon and Boxer through this interview) was really hoping that we would be able to produce a champion. In addition, this championship was won at such an important event like Blizzcon.. this makes me really excited. I think it'd be hard for me in the future to feel as exhilarated as I am today. But I will still continue working hard to make sure that I can keep that excitement (laughs).

Q: The final score (4:1) was really one sided. Were you expecting something more towards a 4:2 or a 4:3?
A: I never imagined that the score difference would be so big. I thought that even if I won, the score would be at least a 4:2 or a 4:3. A 4:1 score is something I did not even think of. The key to winning this series was to clinch the win in the first game. The tournament was delayed because of soundproofing issues, and I had prepared a special strategy for the first game. All these made me feel extremely stressed, but Coach Ryu Won told me that I should believe in the results of my practice, and told me to proceed with that strategy. As a result, I was very confident when I used the special strategy in the first game.

Q: The crowd was cheering really loudly from the moment you entered the area.
A: It felt like the professional wrestling that I watched when I was a child, slapping the hands of the audiences as I entered the area and them calling out my name. I was slightly deafened by those cheers. The atmosphere was electrifying, and it was really exciting (laughs).

Q: Was there a point in time in those games when you felt that it would be hard for you to lose the series?
A: I think that would have to be after the third game, which I lost. It was the game which I was most confident going into, but I scouted too late. Even after seeing the opponent's tanks I did not really react well. However, after losing that game, the coach came up to me and talked to me for quite a while, and I was in fact able to concentrate even better to play the following games after that loss.

Q: In the final game, MVP held on and struggled for a really long time.
A: I had the advantage from the start of that game. If I had played more carefully, and played better overall, the game would not have dragged out to such a stage. It seems like I don't really like putting myself at too big an advantage (laughs). There were some tense moments in that game because I had relaxed a bit too much, but still, it feels all the better to have won the tournament after playing such an intense game.

Q: What were your first thoughts after winning the tournament?
A: I thought about my parents and my brother. I also thought about Boxer and Ga-Yeon who are in Korea. I just thought of everyone that I should be thankful to.

Q: Was the team also hoping that you would be able to win the tournament?
A: Ga-Yeon was joking with me, telling me that I can forget about going back to Korea if I don't win the tournament (laughs). She was telling me that I would not get a plane ticket back to Korea if I was unable to win the tournament. I really went into the tournament with a "must-win" attitude.

Q: When you were playing Starcraft 1, you once said that if you failed to win a tournament within a year, you would retire from gaming. Does this win make you think about your past?
A: Yes it does. Thinking back now, it was precisely because I did that, that I am able to win this tournament today. It also reminds me of iloveoov (SKT1 Terran Coach), who picked me at my first try. Recently, he's also been watching Starcraft 2, and I guess he'd also be watching this tournament. I would like to take this opportunity to thank him.

[image loading]

Q: What were your thoughts when you saw so many people cheering for you?
A: I have never been so agitated before. My heart nearly jumped out today, and I very nearly cried. I also realised how excellent my career choice was (laughs).

Q: How different was winning at MLG as compared to winning today?
A: Even though I placed first in both tournaments, the scale of the tournaments were really different (laughs). But the feeling after winning the tournament was the same. I hope today's win would gain me more foreign fans, and I also hope that my current fans will not forget me. If I want them to always remember me, I need to continue getting good results, and hence I will definitely be still working very hard in the future.

Q: You are going to be attending the next MLG as well. Are you also craving victory at that? There is a chance you might meet MVP again.
A: The MLG competitors are all really strong, and I am not too sure what the results will be also. What is most important though, is how I practise. I will give my all in preparing for the tournament.

Q: You have the power to choose who you want in your group for the next season. Who are you going to pick?
A: I haven't thought about it. I plan to think about it after I go back to Korea. There isn't really a particular race that I particularly want to face either. I just hope I will be able to play entertaining and interesting games.

Q: From the way things stand, including today's win, your tournament winnings would soon exceed 100million Korean Won.
A: I also hope that I would exceed that amount soon (laughs). Last year, when the prize for GSL was still 100million, I had a chance to win then too. But failing to do so at that time really helped me out. At my age, it is really hard to earn 100million Won, but I will continue working hard, and save 100million won soon to buy a house for my family and contribute to the family.

Q: Any final words you want to say?
A: I want to thank Ga-Yeon, Boxer, Coach Sung (Cella), and Coach Ryu Won, and all the family members at Slayers. I want to thank all the players that have helped me practise, and I also want to thank all the sponsors for the team. I heard that the General Manager for Razer in Korea is also here today, and I really hope to have the chance to meet him/her. I hope to be able to thank him/her in person. If he/she chances upon this interview, I hope he/she will be able to contact me.

______________________________________________________________________________
The end. If anyone spots any way that I can improve the phrasing to make it more accurate, do let me know Thank you.
Lixler: If you see this I didn't mean to steal your job by translating. I just hoped to get this up while the win is still fresh on people's minds.
"Answer not a fool according to his folly, lest you be like him yourself." - Proverbs 26:4
Draconicfire
Profile Joined May 2010
Canada2562 Posts
October 23 2011 16:50 GMT
#2
MMA yay!

Also, oov is watching SC2? Interesting.
@Drayxs | Drayxs.221 | Drayxs#1802
Veldril
Profile Joined August 2010
Thailand1817 Posts
October 23 2011 16:50 GMT
#3
Go go MMA, becomes a new legend!!!
Without love, we can't see anything. Without love, the truth can't be seen. - Umineko no Naku Koro Ni
TBone-
Profile Blog Joined November 2010
United States2309 Posts
October 23 2011 16:51 GMT
#4
How many people were in that audience? It looked insane watching it on stream. And of course great interview
Eve online FC, lover of all competition
ohampatu
Profile Joined July 2010
United States1448 Posts
October 23 2011 16:54 GMT
#5
Woot. Very good read
I am become death, for I am the destroyer of worlds.....You will be missed KT Violet!!!
onPHYRE
Profile Joined October 2010
Bulgaria925 Posts
October 23 2011 16:56 GMT
#6
Very nice interview, MMA was a beast.
Livin' this life like it was written.
nooboon
Profile Blog Joined July 2011
2602 Posts
October 23 2011 17:02 GMT
#7
Boxer= boxing
MMA= Mixed Martial Arts
Coincidence?
MMA vs MVP rematch at MLG gogogo!
Rkie
Profile Blog Joined October 2009
United States1278 Posts
October 23 2011 17:02 GMT
#8
That was a good interview, I liked it. I am definitely glad that a Slayers player finally won GSL. Even more so that it was MMA. He has been on the rise recently, and is definitely one of the top players now if he was not already. That was a fun series to watch as well. Lots of creativity showing up in TvT and the depth of this matchup is definitely the most developed of all the matchups.
Kazuki
Profile Joined April 2011
Netherlands121 Posts
October 23 2011 17:03 GMT
#9
MMA <3

Thanks for translating!
Steveling
Profile Blog Joined January 2011
Greece10806 Posts
October 23 2011 17:05 GMT
#10
Oh man, oh god, oh man, oh god, oh man, o...
Oh, I'm sorry I just got an orgasm at the thought of MVP-MMA rematch at Providence.
My dick has shrunk to the point where it looks like I have 3 balls.
dekuschrub
Profile Joined May 2008
United States2069 Posts
October 23 2011 17:06 GMT
#11
mma is pretty damn awesome
Sitinte
Profile Blog Joined January 2011
United States499 Posts
October 23 2011 17:08 GMT
#12
So... whenever SlayerS_Jessica threatens to strand MMA in America, he wins a championship? I'm okay with that.
Lewan72
Profile Joined April 2011
United States381 Posts
October 23 2011 17:09 GMT
#13
GO MMA! Everyone thought MVP would crush you but whos laughing now!
MC / Hero / MMA / Bomber / Coca / Suppy
asdfTT123
Profile Blog Joined June 2009
United States989 Posts
October 23 2011 17:11 GMT
#14
YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS ^___^
n.Die_Jaedong <3
nokz88
Profile Joined October 2010
Brazil1253 Posts
October 23 2011 17:11 GMT
#15
Truly the heir of a sacred lineage of godlike Terrans

Boxer
iloveoov
Fantasy
MMA
in a state of trance
babylon
Profile Blog Joined April 2011
8765 Posts
October 23 2011 17:20 GMT
#16
I have no idea how anyone can dislike this guy. So humble and charming at the same time with a great attitude towards the game. What a champ.

Congrats on his well-deserved victory. And buying a house for his parents? What a great guy.
StimedSheep
Profile Joined October 2010
United States51 Posts
October 23 2011 17:24 GMT
#17
MMA is such a baller and wow taking out the 'number one' terran / sc2 player in the world according to Idra and Artosis is down right amazing.
Krehlmar
Profile Joined August 2010
Sweden1149 Posts
October 23 2011 17:58 GMT
#18
BoxeR is such an emperor, I hope he can feel proud about his SC2 legacy regardless of what the haters say.
My Comment Doesnt Matter Because No One Reads It
parazice
Profile Joined March 2011
Thailand5517 Posts
October 23 2011 18:26 GMT
#19

Q: When you were playing Starcraft 1, you once said that if you failed to win a tournament within a year, you would retire from gaming. Does this win make you think about your past?
A: Yes it does. Thinking back now, it was precisely because I did that, that I am able to win this tournament today. It also reminds me of iloveoov (SKT1 Terran Coach), who picked me at my first try. Recently, he's also been watching Starcraft 2, and I guess he'd also be watching this tournament. I would like to take this opportunity to thank him.


it's my 1st time to hear this
blahz0r
Profile Joined December 2010
3030 Posts
October 23 2011 18:29 GMT
#20
Thanks for the translation. MMA is a great guy and well deserving of this championship.
Liquipedia
1 2 3 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Replay Cast
08:00
Continental Nation League S1
CranKy Ducklings8
Liquipedia
BSL Open Qualifier
04:00
Jungsu & Hasu #2
ZZZero.O141
LiquipediaDiscussion
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft: Brood War
Artosis 1085
ZZZero.O 141
Bale 17
ajuk12(nOOB) 7
Dota 2
NeuroSwarm141
League of Legends
Doublelift5296
JimRising 700
Heroes of the Storm
Grubby6663
Other Games
summit1g8793
FrodaN3058
KnowMe207
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick1203
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream31
[ Show 11 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• CranKy Ducklings SOOP15
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Other Games
• imaqtpie955
• Shiphtur152
Upcoming Events
Afreeca Starleague
10h 59m
Rush vs Light
WardiTV Weekly
11h 59m
Monday Night Weeklies
16h 59m
Replay Cast
23h 59m
Afreeca Starleague
1d 10h
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
1d 11h
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
2 days
The PondCast
3 days
INu's Battles
3 days
Replay Cast
4 days
[ Show More ]
BSL: Ladder Tournament
5 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
6 days
Patches Events
6 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
Copium Cup
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.