• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 05:17
CEST 11:17
KST 18:17
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror6[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
Rollback Netcode in Brood War615.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 202621Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)78
StarCraft 2
General
5.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 2026 [Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)
Tourneys
RSL 2026 Offline Finals LCQ Sign-Ups $3,500 WardiTV Not-Summer Championship ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) ISSL (IntoTheTV x SOOP SC2 League): Premier
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
Rollback Netcode in Brood War ChatGPT cheats at StarSkirmish SCAI tournament TL Sidebar missing streams [ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror Sagi.gg Launcher Released
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Simple Questions, Simple Answers Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do?
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25!
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
[Manga] One Piece Movie Discussion! Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread TeamLiquid Health and Fitness Initiative For 2023 MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8637 users

IPL 3 - such an honor

Blogs > Smix
Post a Reply
1 2 3 4 5 8 9 10 Next All
Smix *
Profile Blog Joined January 2009
United States4549 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-10-14 21:09:08
October 11 2011 07:06 GMT
#1
Being a fan of something, it always feels good if you can help out or contribute to the community in some way. This is how I started translating back in '09 when I joined teamliquid and translated a bunch of broodwar content - it was something I could feasibly do, and I felt like it was a way I could actually contribute to the community and not just be another fan who just enjoyed watching the game.

Fast forward to this weekend - through the recommendation of Kennigit, I was able to land a job as a translator for IPL 3 at Atlantic City, and... it was just amazing. The first night I got there, I was immediately called to the lobby and told that Slayers was about to pull in, so I needed to be there to help them get checked in and settled. I was really curious as to how I would react when I saw them in person - would I be starstruck? Would I be nervous? Would the fan in me explode and make me all giddy? This gigantic limo pulled up and they all filed out (minus Jessica and Boxer cause they had arrived earlier separately), and it was immediately work-mode - I was too distracted with trying to handle the different tasks so I didn't have the giddy fan reaction, but I did maintain a slight amazement at what was happening around me - I was surrounded by progamers, the players that I had been watching through an online stream. It was a surreal feeling that never left the entire weekend - I would sometimes just stop what I was doing and feel that wave wash over me, "god, I'm here, I'm RIGHT here..."

The first two days, there were so many technical difficulties that went on, primarily for two reasons - the computers were old computers that would heat up easily, especially in the booths where there was no air circulation, so this would cause lag during games and they were constantly being replaced with a new set of computers to try and fix this. The other, much bigger problem was that a truck crashed into a pole, messing up a fiber wire that effectively shut down all the internet of New Jersey. We tried to use the internet at the hotel instead, but it was shitty and all the players complained of lag and were obviously very frustrated. I felt especially bad for Group C (hero, sleep, select, thorzain) - not only did they have to wait around forever, the lag obviously affected their gameplay and frustrated them so much - having to deal with a situation like that during a live tournament setting is so trying on the mind when you're already tense because of normal stage nerves. At this point of the tournament, I started really wondering how IPL was going to continue running - we were over half a day behind schedule, and at the time Comcast was still trying to fix the issue with us having no idea how long it would take. The entire tournament was put on hold for a problem that we couldn't do anything about - all we could do was wait and see.

This is where I have to mention how amazing all the staff at IPL were - despite all these issues that were stressing everyone out, everyone maintained their composure and there was never a sense of frenzy or panic. All options to try and tackle the problem were carried out, and if it didn't work, other alternatives were discussed with no voices raised or sense of alarm. Everyone was on their toes, always ready to get up and carry out a task with no sense of reluctance. It was just amazing - despite the fact that we were faced with this incredibly shitty situation, people still maintained an optimistic mindset - "how can we fix this?" "have we tried this?" "okay, let's try doing this instead".

And then finally - the internet came back up, and the next two days ran so, so smoothly that it was like this breath of fresh air. God, it was so amazing just watching the wheels of this machine that had started out shitty and rusty run so smoothly. If there were ever any other issues that arose, they were all so minor and easily fixable - as I worked the last two days, I could feel this incredible sense of satisfaction at watching the tournament continue to flow despite everything. All staff stayed on their toes and worked hard, and this time we were seeing the results of our efforts through the smooth flow of games and schedule - such a stark contrast to the first two days.

Spending four days constantly talking to the Korean players, I became closer to a few of them, namely MC, Sleep, Ryung, Alive, STC. Most of them were younger than me, so after the first two days they called me "noona" (which is korean for older sister) and we were on a comfortable talking basis. MC was so, so chill. He's just as he is in interviews - outgoing, honest, and just awesome. It got really cold backstage so one time as he was waiting to go shake the hand of the player he was about to face, he took off his jacket and said, "wear this" and then casually went out for the handshake, then proceeded to roll over his opponent. Sleep was really chill and super manner too - he cracked me up because all he did was drink coke and coffee the entire weekend but he was still ALWAYS so tired, so indicative of his username lolol. Out of the slayers players, he has the least knowledge of english so watching him have english conversations was so funny haha. Ryung would troll him so hard every time he spoke english hahaha. STC was so, so manner - if you guys didn't notice, he would bow about 10 times whenever he was out on stage to the audience. Just incredibly humble and nice. Ryung was interesting because at first he was super reserved and didn't say much of anything, but he began to ease up a bit toward the last few days and he's actually a really funny guy haha, has that dry humor. Alive is so freaking cute - his answer to all english questions are "okay" and "I don't know". All the korean players knew how to say "you chobo" "me gosu" and other hilarious, short sentences haha. It should also definitely be mentioned that Mr. Chae (GOMTV) was freaking AWESOME. My god, that man just went around talking to everyone with such high spirits.

I started watching starcraft 2 through MMA winning Columbus, and Milkis had told me that he's awesome and so mannered, and he was exactly that. The last night, it was sad because the most of the korean players were under 21 so they couldn't come to the after party. The twitch.tv afterparty was awesome - open bar which made it even better. There were some pretty amazing performances that night - sadly I missed temp0's performances but I was able to see the amazing and beautiful Anna Prosser sing a few songs (she really is so, so nice and wonderful) and even had the honor of singing Dan with temp0 haha. Other notable performers - David Ting, the man who made IPL3 possible, HD and Flamewheel roflrofl, Select (missed this but apparently he was amazing) - it was definitely a good time. Afterward, Rekrul, Waxangel, Nazgul and I were headed back to the bar that everyone frequented over the weekend and ran into the Slayers players so they happily joined us and it was just an amazing time haha. MMA is a weak drinker so he had one cranberry vodka. Ryung and Sleep also had one beer each, and Sleep had the cute asian glow going on. TSL's Alive actually drank a lot, but it was okay because he didn't have to leave at 6:30 a.m. like the other Slayers players. They stayed until about 6 a.m. and then they unfortunately had to leave to pack and whatnot. The rest of us stayed until about 8 a.m. and then I had to leave as well to crash.

God, there are just way too many stories from each night and this blog is getting long enough as it is, so I'll save those for next time...

To conclude here are some messages -

Susie - I ruv you so much. So glad I was able to see you again and I can't wait for IPL4 haha. You know you are my unni for life <3

Megumi - so good to meet you, thank you for the clutch meals when Susie and I were dying of hunger T_T Savior frealz.

Anna & Rachel - you guys did such an amazing job this weekend, definitely deserve more credit and love. There were so many times that you had to do things on the fly because we needed filler time for technical issues going on and you guys just pulled it off effortlessly - so professional <3 Would love to see you guys again at future events

All the IPL staff - you guys are all SO chill and awesome, and made working this event that much more amazing. Sumi, I didn't get to see you as much as I would've liked but T_T next time~ Ajay - you constantly made sure we were okay and <3 All the staff I met - Ryan, Ken, Adrian, AConn, Ron, and so many other people al;ksdjfd; I'M SO GLAD WE DID IT!!! Ahhhh

TL friendz - you know who you are, you guys are all awesome, just so glad to be able to share this experience with all of you!

Rek - oppa you know you are my big bro 4 lyfe, good seeing you again

DJ Wheat/Apollo/Painuser - you guys were amazing, and god I'm saying that a lot in this blog but it's so true, and I'm sure you guys have been receiving a lot of love as well Wheat you are so chill and I was amazed at how approachable you were despite how big of a figure you are. Apollo it was good seeing you again after 2 years!! Keep up the killer work mate Taylor it was awesome meeting you as well!! I'm glad we got to chill a bit despite all the busy-ness! Hope to hang more at future events!

Everyone else I met and talked to - thank you for making this weekend just... so incredible for lack of a better word because it's 1:30 a.m. and I'm so tired. I hate this blog recap because it barely scrapes the surface of all that went on behind the scenes but I figured a post was due.

Here are some pictures from over the weekend that I took -

[image loading]
Flamewheel and Susie!

[image loading]
R1ch!

[image loading]
Susie and I love R1ch!! hehe

[image loading]
Me, Mango, Hot_Bid, and Intrigue!

[image loading]
Ret and Hot_Bid!

[image loading]
happy heyoka? haha

[image loading]
Sorry, but who eats pure spinach the morning after a long night of drinking? Rofl flamewheel

[image loading]
The jacket MC let me borrow haha

[image loading]
Sleep and Mr. Chae wanted to see the ocean and loved it haha

[image loading]
Random IPL guys came up to Mr. Chae and Sleep and asked if they wanted to play frisbee, and despite never having played before, Mr. Chae goes, "Sure!" haha

[image loading]
djWHEAT trolling stc hahah

[image loading]
So much bromance between MC and STC. Actually MC was just super bromancey with everyone haha

[image loading]
After Lucky beat MMA - still so friendly and awesome.

[image loading]
Flash cards I made on the right, Flash cards Hot_Bid made on the left LOL

[image loading]
Bromance between Apollo and MC. Rekrul is not amused haha

[image loading]
Sleep talking to Thorzain. Ryung was making fun of Sleep so badly for speaking bad English haha

[image loading]
Thorzain napping T_T so cute. All the players napped at one point or another - so tired TT

[image loading]
Sleep and Thorzain hahaha so cute

[image loading]
me flamewheel susie at afterparty (stole it from you unni! kekkke)

[image loading]
me and temp0!! (stole from your fb album ^^)

[image loading]
With MMA!


It was an amazing weekend - thank you all for your love and encouragement despite it being my first time doing something like this!! It was such, SUCH an honor to be involved in an event of such caliber - I'm sure I can speak for everyone when I say my heart was positively glowing by day 4 with how awesome everything turned out. There's so much more I want to say but it's been a long day and I have a test to study for tomorrow morning - back to being a normal college student T_T

ESPORTS! <3


****
TranslatorBe an Optimist Prime, Not a Negatron // twitter @smixity
Megaliskuu
Profile Blog Joined October 2010
United States5123 Posts
October 11 2011 07:12 GMT
#2
Many will be disappointed that intrigue isn't a girl.

Excellent blog yo, gewd pics. Also flamewheel qt.
|BW>Everything|Add me on star2 KR server TheMuTaL.675 for practice games :)|NEX clan| https://www.dotabuff.com/players/183104694
Indrium
Profile Joined November 2010
United States2236 Posts
October 11 2011 07:13 GMT
#3
Awesome pictures and really cool descriptions of all the Korean players. Thanks! :D
Xeris
Profile Blog Joined July 2005
Iran17695 Posts
October 11 2011 07:13 GMT
#4
Nice blog! ~~

I wish I had gone T_T!
twitter.com/xerislight -- follow me~~
ZoW
Profile Blog Joined January 2009
United States3983 Posts
October 11 2011 07:17 GMT
#5
Disappointed at the lack of face-blurring in these pictures.

Jokes aside, looked like an amazing time, too bad i was broke and couldn't go . Also typical hot bid, lol'd so much at the flash cards
the courage to be a lazy bum
Azzur
Profile Blog Joined July 2010
Australia6267 Posts
October 11 2011 07:18 GMT
#6
Great blog and pics!!!
flamewheel
Profile Blog Joined December 2009
FREEAGLELAND26782 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-10-11 07:27:58
October 11 2011 07:19 GMT
#7
Posting before this thread becomes swamped with comments yo.

Also wow HB so good.
Also don't hate on spinach it ups my defense.
Writerdamn, i was two days from retirement
Ilikestarcraft
Profile Blog Joined November 2004
Korea (South)17743 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-10-11 07:22:03
October 11 2011 07:20 GMT
#8
Isn't that ret and hot_bid instead of ret and intrigue?

Also feel sick looking at fw's plate. Too much vegetables...
ils
"Nana is a goddess. Or at very least, Nana is my goddess." - KazeHydra
Smix *
Profile Blog Joined January 2009
United States4549 Posts
October 11 2011 07:22 GMT
#9
^Ah thanks!! Corrected ^^
TranslatorBe an Optimist Prime, Not a Negatron // twitter @smixity
I_Love_Bacon
Profile Blog Joined August 2009
United States5765 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-10-11 07:29:36
October 11 2011 07:28 GMT
#10
On October 11 2011 16:19 flamewheel wrote:
Posting before this thread becomes swamped with comments yo.

Also wow HB so good.
Also don't hate on spinach it ups my defense.


We need more comments from you as to your apparent need for spinach in the morning after drinking.

Supposed hangover cure or do you just love spinach?

edit: you edited as I quoted, no fair. You're still nuts.
" i havent been playin sc2 but i woke up w/ a boner and i really had to pee... and my crisis management and micro was really something to behold. it inspired me to play some games today" -Liquid'Tyler
Heyoka
Profile Blog Joined March 2008
Katowice25012 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-10-11 07:31:51
October 11 2011 07:30 GMT
#11
I'm pissed as fuck I'm not in any of these pics. Especially that one we retook because I wasn't awesome enough the first time.

edit: super happy the flash cards are in though, we tried that joke on a ton of people and no one got it.
@RealHeyoka | ESL / DreamHack StarCraft Lead
flamewheel
Profile Blog Joined December 2009
FREEAGLELAND26782 Posts
October 11 2011 07:37 GMT
#12
On October 11 2011 16:28 I_Love_Bacon wrote:
Show nested quote +
On October 11 2011 16:19 flamewheel wrote:
Posting before this thread becomes swamped with comments yo.

Also wow HB so good.
Also don't hate on spinach it ups my defense.


We need more comments from you as to your apparent need for spinach in the morning after drinking.

Supposed hangover cure or do you just love spinach?

edit: you edited as I quoted, no fair. You're still nuts.

No hangover that night I just have started liking spinach recently. Didn't feel like eating anything else at the time.
Writerdamn, i was two days from retirement
Smix *
Profile Blog Joined January 2009
United States4549 Posts
October 11 2011 07:38 GMT
#13
On October 11 2011 16:30 heyoka wrote:
I'm pissed as fuck I'm not in any of these pics. Especially that one we retook because I wasn't awesome enough the first time.

edit: super happy the flash cards are in though, we tried that joke on a ton of people and no one got it.


lloolol i added it just for you
TranslatorBe an Optimist Prime, Not a Negatron // twitter @smixity
Silan
Profile Joined January 2010
Denmark198 Posts
October 11 2011 07:44 GMT
#14
Great blog and behind the scene, you did a great job translating, seemed so relaxed on stage, like you had done it a 100 times before . Keep up the good work.
Life is one crushing defeat after another until you just wish flanders was dead. - Homer
Deleted User 3420
Profile Blog Joined May 2003
24492 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-10-11 07:56:01
October 11 2011 07:55 GMT
#15
awesome pictures
and good job
aNDRoM
Profile Blog Joined July 2010
United States637 Posts
October 11 2011 07:59 GMT
#16
Is the after-party open to regular folk or do you have to be a player/staff/involved with the production in some way? I'd assume the former, since otherwise you'd have a bunch of fanboys/girls hanging around.
Hi. My name is Werner Brandes. My voice is my passport. Verify me.
Rekrul
Profile Blog Joined November 2002
Korea (South)17174 Posts
October 11 2011 08:02 GMT
#17
the post e-sports event love is in the air
why so 진지해?
flamewheel
Profile Blog Joined December 2009
FREEAGLELAND26782 Posts
October 11 2011 08:05 GMT
#18
I think it was anybody over 21 with one of the IPL IDs could get in.
Writerdamn, i was two days from retirement
eviltomahawk
Profile Blog Joined August 2010
United States11135 Posts
October 11 2011 08:06 GMT
#19
Bahaha, I completely lost it at the pic of the (T)Flash cards. Hot_bid for president.
ㅇㅅㅌㅅ
bOOgyWC
Profile Joined February 2010
Germany153 Posts
October 11 2011 08:07 GMT
#20
ty nice blog!!
1 2 3 4 5 8 9 10 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 43m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft: Brood War
Calm 5939
Rain 3847
Leta 2470
Soulkey 418
Soma 333
BeSt 262
Rush 216
Barracks 179
firebathero 127
Killer 50
[ Show more ]
soO 49
Sexy 46
Shinee 37
Stork 35
Shine 32
HiyA 18
Hm[arnc] 17
Sharp 13
Sacsri 12
sorry 9
Noble 4
Terrorterran 3
Dota 2
Gorgc3291
XcaliburYe164
League of Legends
JimRising 506
Super Smash Bros
Mew2King71
Other Games
gofns22016
WinterStarcraft727
Sick173
Pyrionflax167
Organizations
Other Games
BasetradeTV191
StarCraft: Brood War
lovetv 6
[ Show 12 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• 3DClanTV 61
• Sammyuel 41
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• lizZardDota2234
League of Legends
• Jankos2430
Upcoming Events
Sparkling Tuna Cup
43m
Patches Events
5h 43m
BSL Open Qualifier
9h 43m
BSL Open Qualifier
9h 43m
OSC
13h 43m
OSC
1d 2h
WardiTV Weekly
2 days
PiGosaur Cup
2 days
The PondCast
4 days
Online Event
5 days
[ Show More ]
Korean StarCraft League
5 days
Afreeca Starleague
5 days
Rush vs Soulkey
CranKy Ducklings
6 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
HCC Season 3
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.