• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 06:04
CEST 12:04
KST 19:04
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror6[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
Rollback Netcode in Brood War615.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 202621Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)78
StarCraft 2
General
5.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 2026 [Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)
Tourneys
RSL 2026 Offline Finals LCQ Sign-Ups $3,500 WardiTV Not-Summer Championship ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) ISSL (IntoTheTV x SOOP SC2 League): Premier
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
ChatGPT cheats at StarSkirmish SCAI tournament Rollback Netcode in Brood War TL Sidebar missing streams [ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror Sagi.gg Launcher Released
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Simple Questions, Simple Answers Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do?
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25!
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
[Manga] One Piece Movie Discussion! Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread TeamLiquid Health and Fitness Initiative For 2023 MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 6546 users

My TL Open #7 Experience

Blogs > ntvarify
Post a Reply
1 2 3 4 5 Next All
ntvarify
Profile Blog Joined October 2010
United States331 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-03-07 19:32:09
December 18 2010 22:42 GMT
#1
Let's start with a little bit about myself; I'm 13, play Protoss, and have never ever played in a tournament. As I said, I'm 13, so thats all I'm going to tell you.

So last night I was surfing around TL and I saw the TL Open #7 post and I said, "What the heck." I signed up. Later that night I was talking to a friend and managed to convince him to also sign up. We both started off on the waiting list.

Starting 10 minutes before the time you could start checking in, I continually spammed the reload button. That's how excited I was. But there was a problem. I had told my friend that the tournament was Sunday so I was anxiously hoping he would just randomly get on.

I made it in and was officially playing and he still wasn't on. Finally with 5 minutes left he logged on and checked in. It was settled, we were both playing. The next 15 minutes I spent with my heart racing as I waited for the brackets to come up.

When the brackets finally came up I was ready. Music blaring, headphones on, I was in the zone(If us silver players can actually get into the zone, I was in it). I added my opponent and messaged him, "redy?" 10 minutes later I was still waiting for a reply. Let me tell you, I was super nervous by then.

To make it worse, before I had even started playing, my friend messages me and goes, "Well, I got pwned." My opponent finally gets on and we start the game. Lucky me, he was bronze. And in typical bronze fashion, he started the game with both of us on the same team.

What do you know, my first opponent was Protoss. PvP is my worst matchup. The night before, I had scoured replays of MouzMana to learn how to play PvT and Liquid'Huk to learn PvZ. With my limited time left to learn PvP, I didn't think I could play a macro PvP. LIterally all I knew about the matchup was, "Okay I think you need a lot of collusus." So I went to my go to build which I learned from my Protoss hero Liquid'Tyler, blink stalkers.

Although since he was bronze I knew I had a chance to win, in a way it made me more nervous. The game started, and with my after pylon scout I saw a forge first, and that we were cross positions. Normally I am pretty good with my scouting probe and am able to micro it while I'm macroing at my base and teching up. However, when I saw that forge I went, "Oh f***!" Then his probe pops into my base. This entire time I can feel my heart going bumbumbumbum at approximately 90 mph. I tried to remember what Day9 says, "If you can stop a cheese, almost always you are ahead." I sent four probes all around my base looking for the pylon. I'm knew I was making a lot of mistakes. I could actually see myself miss my 16 pylon and later on my 2nd and 3rd gate timing. I now fully understand how hard it is to make decisions during a tournament. I have a knew respect for pros.

While that was going on I finally remembered I should be scouting. I sent my probe in, and lo and behold he was walled off with two gateways, and a cannon! Immediately I knew he was going 1 base Void Rays. Why else would he have a wall in and static d that early. Bronze players aren't stupid.

At that point I started laughing my head off. My parents actually had to come in and check just to make sure everything was all right. I continued going down the blink tech path and just massed stalkers, waiting for the inevitable Void Rays. However, blink finished before his void rays came, and I made a horrible decision and decided to move out instead of defending against the void rays.

He had no units at his base and was desperately warping in cannons. I blinked in and took them all out. I saw the 2 stargates and the fleet beacon and for a second I was convinced he had gone mothership rush. Then I realized, wait a minute, why would he have 2 stargates if he went mothersip? My eyes glanced down, and I saw this flock of blue coming into my base. I was shaking too hard to count the voidrays and see if I should go back. I made a guess that there were 7, which would have been close against my 11 stalkers. Part of the problem might have been that I was scared of engaging. After watching the replay, I saw there were only 5 vrs, which I could have easily cleaned up.

With my heart beating in my ears and my stomach in knots, I went for the base trade. Waiting until I had 400 minerals I evacuated my probes to my stalkers, desperately hoping he didn't know about my proxy pylon and wouldn't come back to engage. Instead, he went for the base trade like I had hoped. As I destroyed his nexus I just stopped microing and watched the screen, waiting for the "SoandSo has not rebuilt their base and is being revealed." I waited, and waited. I was sending probes in all directions. Searching for a hidden base or building. Then it came. I destroyed the rest of his buildings, and with only my partially building nexus left, I won.

I jumped up and screamed. Screamed as loud as I could. I was so happy just to have made it to the 2nd round. That had been my entire goal. I felt like I could fly as I told my friend I had won.

Then came the second game. Once again, it was PROTOSS. Then came the worse news: he was 2600 diamond. When he said that, all the hope went out of me. I might have tried to keep my dignity and play a macro game against another race. Not against Protoss. I knew cheesing was like a 15% chance to win, and I had absolutely no idea how to execute a 3 gate, which made it about 10%. That is, however, better than the 1%ish chance i would have against a top diamond player.

So I 3 gated. I sent my 9th and 10th probes in 2 different directions, hoping to scout him, and proxy gate. We were cross positions. I placed a pylon and 3 gateways down. With 4 zealots I went into his base. But, I had made a crucial mistake. My zealots were on move command to the bottom of his ramp, but I failed to notice that he had zealots intercepting mine. With my spirit crushed and half my zealots dead, I made one more push. He overwhelmed my zealot force and I gged.

I knew from the beginning I had no chance. That didn't make it feel any better. I actually teared up a little. It was a good experience though. I had tons of fun, and winning that first round is up there with some of my favorite memories. Next TL Open, I am going to be ready with PvP knowledge and I WILL make it to the 3rd round.

****
Neobick
Profile Blog Joined December 2009
Sweden208 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-12-18 23:21:04
December 18 2010 23:11 GMT
#2
Haha, inspiring. Hopefully you will do better next time. You seem to have the right kind of mindset for this. I read the whole thing with a smile. Thanks for sharing!
Use the force.
TheCabDriver
Profile Joined June 2009
Canada159 Posts
December 18 2010 23:13 GMT
#3
Nice read, good luck next time. I think I'll try my luck in the next TL open.
Trippin off the beat kinda, drippin off the meat grinder
ReketSomething
Profile Blog Joined November 2008
United States6012 Posts
December 18 2010 23:18 GMT
#4
Hmmmm...a whole blog about your pvps and possible strategies and 4 gate wasn't mentioned at all...awesome! Always nice to see how lower level players enoy tournaments. I always enter tournaments to never win but make it as far as possible and its so exciting!

How did your friend do?
Jaedong :3
NYXinc
Profile Joined May 2010
Germany74 Posts
December 18 2010 23:22 GMT
#5
Good luck for the next one
Remember living
S.O.L.I.D.
Profile Blog Joined September 2010
United States792 Posts
December 19 2010 00:09 GMT
#6
Good luck for the next one and in other tournaments in the future!
pikaaarrr :3
Profile Blog Joined January 2010
United States593 Posts
December 19 2010 00:47 GMT
#7
4gate -> profit

food for thought for your next TL Open
FireBlast!
Profile Blog Joined January 2005
United Kingdom5251 Posts
December 19 2010 01:00 GMT
#8
the earnesty made me smile
Victoria Concordia Crescit
JWD
Profile Blog Joined October 2007
United States12607 Posts
December 19 2010 01:10 GMT
#9
I spotlighted this. Great story.
✌
Pokebunny
Profile Blog Joined June 2008
United States10654 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-12-19 01:13:32
December 19 2010 01:12 GMT
#10
hehe good luck fellow starcraft child ^^ try again next time! I liked it.

I had the bad fortune to get the eventual winner somewhat early
Semipro Terran player | Pokebunny#1710 | twitter.com/Pokebunny | twitch.tv/Pokebunny | facebook.com/PokebunnySC
CidO
Profile Joined June 2010
United States695 Posts
December 19 2010 01:27 GMT
#11
Practice, practice practice! Congrats on making it that far, winning a round is a great feeling when you are just starting out, it's a weight off your shoulder I bet
:P
Heyoka
Profile Blog Joined March 2008
Katowice25012 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-12-19 01:43:15
December 19 2010 01:27 GMT
#12
Awesome read, best of luck next time
@RealHeyoka | ESL / DreamHack StarCraft Lead
-Kyo-
Profile Blog Joined August 2010
Japan1927 Posts
December 19 2010 01:27 GMT
#13
I'm actually surprised by, not this story in particular but others, how many younger dudes play this game. I have a couple on my friends list that are actually quite high up in Diamond ~2200+ rated players and they're younger than 16.

Just keep dedicated and have fun ^^;;
Anime is cuter than you. Legacy of the Void GM Protoss Gameplay: twitch.tv/kyo7763 youtube.com/user/KyoStarcraft/
TL+ Member
TryThis
Profile Joined February 2007
Canada1522 Posts
December 19 2010 01:27 GMT
#14
that was a great read.
reminds me of my my first TL open went

gl in the next one!
Dwell
`Zapdos
Profile Blog Joined November 2010
United States935 Posts
December 19 2010 01:28 GMT
#15
Congrats man, winning your first match in a tourny is pretty lucky, most people lose their first match outright so gj. I hope to play you in the future tourny's ;]
www.twitch.tv/thezapdos come watch me :]
Railin
Profile Joined April 2010
Canada96 Posts
December 19 2010 01:30 GMT
#16
Great story, better luck next time =)

It feels kinda unfair that they would match diamond vs players lower than plat, though ... something for TL to think about!
~~femFxRailin~~ "Sc2 strategies have an interesting history of being developed in Europe, perfected in Korea, and used on unsuspecting Americans" [Tree.Hugger]
hazelynut
Profile Blog Joined December 2008
United States2197 Posts
December 19 2010 01:30 GMT
#17
inspiring for all players thanks for sharing your experience.
Zerg | life of lively to live to life of full life thx to shield battery | www.cstarleague.com <3
Pokebunny
Profile Blog Joined June 2008
United States10654 Posts
December 19 2010 01:31 GMT
#18
On December 19 2010 10:27 lIlKyo wrote:
I'm actually surprised by, not this story in particular but others, how many younger dudes play this game. I have a couple on my friends list that are actually quite high up in Diamond ~2200+ rated players and they're younger than 16.

Just keep dedicated and have fun ^^;;

Age doesn't matter nearly as much as playing experience. I'm 15 / top 100 NA / sponsored by justin.tv and VT gaming, but I've been playing SC2/BW for almost three years competitively.
Semipro Terran player | Pokebunny#1710 | twitter.com/Pokebunny | twitch.tv/Pokebunny | facebook.com/PokebunnySC
m1LkmaN
Profile Joined January 2010
Australia82 Posts
December 19 2010 01:35 GMT
#19
Awesome read, thanks for that

I might have to force myself to enter one sometime soon.
Agama
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
United States72 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-12-19 01:37:33
December 19 2010 01:36 GMT
#20
Good story.

I'm 15, 2k diamond zerg, and entered several tournaments so far. (including the TL Open today) Haven't made it past the first round yet. ._.

1 2 3 4 5 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Sparkling Tuna Cup
19:00
Weekly #150 (SHIN Mod Edition)
CranKy Ducklings31
CranKy Ducklings SOOP17
LiquipediaDiscussion
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
OGKoka 174
SHIN 1
ByuN 0
StarCraft: Brood War
Calm 10177
Rain 3264
soO 599
Stork 415
Soulkey 382
BeSt 358
Soma 346
Rush 288
firebathero 227
Britney 192
[ Show more ]
Barracks 120
Sexy 58
Shinee 55
Mind 47
FanTaSy 43
Killer 33
Sharp 26
Shine 21
HiyA 21
sorry 21
Sacsri 17
Hm[arnc] 16
hero 14
yabsab 12
Terrorterran 10
zelot 10
Noble 8
scan(afreeca) 3
Dota 2
Gorgc5789
League of Legends
JimRising 430
Super Smash Bros
Mew2King106
Other Games
gofns37002
singsing1257
Pyrionflax211
Organizations
Other Games
BasetradeTV234
StarCraft: Brood War
lovetv 8
[ Show 12 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• 3DClanTV 61
• Sammyuel 43
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• WagamamaTV214
League of Legends
• Jankos3384
Upcoming Events
Patches Events
4h 56m
BSL Open Qualifier
8h 56m
BSL Open Qualifier
8h 56m
OSC
12h 56m
OSC
1d 1h
WardiTV Weekly
2 days
PiGosaur Cup
2 days
The PondCast
3 days
Online Event
5 days
Korean StarCraft League
5 days
[ Show More ]
Afreeca Starleague
5 days
Rush vs Soulkey
CranKy Ducklings
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
HCC Season 3
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.