• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 09:18
CEST 15:18
KST 22:18
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup3StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)65Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2314
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Awesome/Confusing SC2 BM SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup [Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ]
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
Klaucher discontinued / in-game color settings BW General Discussion BSL Season 23 Bot on ladder ASL22 General Discussion
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 13526 users

StarCraft II for Complete Beginners (Video)

Forum Index > SC2 General
Post a Reply
Normal
Altercate
Profile Joined December 2011
Sweden75 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-06-01 23:25:55
March 17 2013 17:24 GMT
#1
Hi everyone!

I've just uploaded a video called "StarCraft II for Complete Beginners - What is StarCraft?" on my YouTube account. The idea behind the video is that it explains the game in plain English as if speaking to someone who has absolutely zero prior knowledge of StarCraft, RTS games, or even computer games. Basically, if your mom asks "what's this game you're playing?" show her this video!

Episode 1: What is StarCraft?


Episode 2: The Game Interface


Episode 3: Units


Future videos will go over critical concepts like attack-move in an instructional manner. I am not a high level player nor will I attempt to teach advanced strategy - my videos will explain the basic skills that players will need in order to begin their journey and avoid making simple mistakes. Once I've gone over those concepts, I will defer to more experienced instructors.

I welcome any and all feedback and comments. Thanks for taking the time to watch, and I hope this becomes useful to you!
StarCraft II for Complete Beginners - youtube.com/user/AltercateSC
MagnuMizer
Profile Blog Joined February 2012
Denmark384 Posts
March 17 2013 22:44 GMT
#2
Hey man, really great video i must say!

Seems like you really put a lot of effort into it - very professional
Even though it wasn't useful for me, I definitely think this is a great watch for beginners
and it was still a really cool video for me to see but maybe thats just cos i love everything starcraft! :D

hehe i could immediately tell you are swedish from your accent - your english is really good and i've heard way worse swedish accents than that so don't worry about that :D

if my mom would ever care what i was doing i would show her this video!
Altercate
Profile Joined December 2011
Sweden75 Posts
March 17 2013 23:40 GMT
#3
Hahaha. Thanks for feedback! :D
StarCraft II for Complete Beginners - youtube.com/user/AltercateSC
AGIANTSMURF
Profile Blog Joined September 2010
United States1232 Posts
March 17 2013 23:49 GMT
#4
very awesome, will be saving this to show people inthe future :D
Thats "Grand-Master" SMURF to you.....
Marksman
Profile Blog Joined May 2009
Malaysia523 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-03-18 00:01:45
March 17 2013 23:58 GMT
#5
On March 18 2013 08:49 AGIANTSMURF wrote:
very awesome, will be saving this to show people inthe future :D


Likewise here. Haven't watched it all but I already know its good.

Extra: Already spreading it out xD.
I live by the LoL
Glenn313
Profile Joined August 2011
United States475 Posts
March 18 2013 00:59 GMT
#6
Great video. I loved the way you introduced the races and the nuke on all the zerglings the most though! :3
Hey man
FluffyBinLaden
Profile Blog Joined December 2010
United States527 Posts
March 18 2013 01:45 GMT
#7
That was brilliant! An amazing introduction to not only the game, but the competitive community surrounding it.
Riddles in the Dark. Answers in the Light.
Altercate
Profile Joined December 2011
Sweden75 Posts
March 18 2013 07:04 GMT
#8
Thanks guys! I'm glad you enjoyed it.
StarCraft II for Complete Beginners - youtube.com/user/AltercateSC
Surili
Profile Blog Joined March 2011
United Kingdom1141 Posts
March 18 2013 07:24 GMT
#9
Have sent it to my girlfriend, will get back with comments.
The world is ending what should we do about it?
koalahide
Profile Joined March 2013
Australia5 Posts
March 18 2013 07:39 GMT
#10
Excellent introduction video mate, the scene where you introduce all three races looks like it took some effort!
Altercate
Profile Joined December 2011
Sweden75 Posts
March 18 2013 18:21 GMT
#11
On March 18 2013 16:24 Surili wrote:
Have sent it to my girlfriend, will get back with comments.


Please do! I'd love to hear what her thoughts are. My girlfriend watched it tonight and her feedback was mostly about how she'd have liked circles and arrows pointing out the things I was talking about, like production facilities and the "command center" and so forth. What I'm gonna do is, I'll make future episodes focused specifically on units and structures and go over all these things in more detail.
StarCraft II for Complete Beginners - youtube.com/user/AltercateSC
Altercate
Profile Joined December 2011
Sweden75 Posts
March 18 2013 18:23 GMT
#12
On March 18 2013 16:39 koalahide wrote:
Excellent introduction video mate, the scene where you introduce all three races looks like it took some effort!


Haha, it sure did! I think I spent 3-4 hours on that alone! A lot of the extra time required to make the video went into learning how to operate the editor...

Thanks man!
StarCraft II for Complete Beginners - youtube.com/user/AltercateSC
Metak
Profile Joined August 2011
296 Posts
March 23 2013 15:18 GMT
#13
Well done!
NeonFlare
Profile Blog Joined September 2008
Finland1307 Posts
March 23 2013 16:13 GMT
#14
Checked it out, very clear first introduction. Nice use of editor there too.
wizardidit
Profile Blog Joined December 2011
United States14 Posts
March 24 2013 03:15 GMT
#15
That was awesome. If your videos can get someone with no rts exposure to the point where they can watch a casted game without being completely overwhelmed, you'll have done a great service to the community.
Keldrath
Profile Joined July 2010
United States449 Posts
March 24 2013 04:25 GMT
#16
the part where you showed all the units went too fast, the flashing was so quick it made me wonder if it could cause a seizure to someone who's prone to them, and for anyone else who has never seen them before or knows what they are it would be too overwhelming with how quickly it flashed by they wouldn't even follow it.
If you want peace... prepare for war.
pyrodias
Profile Joined March 2011
United States27 Posts
March 25 2013 23:57 GMT
#17
Regarding the flashing part, I thought it was fine, but maybe just add a more smooth/fading transition instead of going to a black screen each time.

Great job!
Altercate
Profile Joined December 2011
Sweden75 Posts
March 27 2013 22:39 GMT
#18
Hi everyone! Thanks for your kind comments and helpful feedback!

The second episode is now up. It goes over the very basics of the game interface to prepare the viewer for future episodes which will be much more involving. This episode also has considerably less "fade to black" transitions.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sW3sxgHK-D0

Next episode is about units, where I'm looking forward to (among other things) show just how important attack-move is.
StarCraft II for Complete Beginners - youtube.com/user/AltercateSC
Pokebunny
Profile Blog Joined June 2008
United States10654 Posts
March 27 2013 22:40 GMT
#19
Nice work. Getting people into Starcraft helps us all ^^
Semipro Terran player | Pokebunny#1710 | twitter.com/Pokebunny | twitch.tv/Pokebunny | facebook.com/PokebunnySC
RookUK
Profile Blog Joined August 2012
United Kingdom283 Posts
March 27 2013 22:58 GMT
#20
This is really nicely put together - I think the key with these sorts of things is getting the language just right, and you've nailed that. It's especially impressive considering that English is obviously not your first language. My only tiny quibble would be your use of the term "command centre" to refer to the main building for all races, but aside from that it's very clear and concise.
Nerski
Profile Blog Joined November 2010
United States1095 Posts
March 27 2013 23:09 GMT
#21
I first saw the video title and went oh no.

After watching it I was pleasantly surprised at your attention to detail and video editing. As well as the very good job you did at summing up what starcraft is in a very precise way. A+ I too will save this for future use.
Twitter: @GoForNerski /// Youtube: Youtube.com/nerskisc
Adersick
Profile Joined July 2011
United States216 Posts
March 27 2013 23:12 GMT
#22
Excellent work, I was skeptical at first whether you would cover all the things a total beginner would need, but that first video said everything I could have hoped for and more! I plan to share this with a few friends of mine that just got into the game.
Rainmansc
Profile Joined August 2011
Netherlands216 Posts
March 27 2013 23:29 GMT
#23
Really awesome work!
Altercate
Profile Joined December 2011
Sweden75 Posts
March 28 2013 09:15 GMT
#24
On March 28 2013 07:58 RookUK wrote:
This is really nicely put together - I think the key with these sorts of things is getting the language just right, and you've nailed that. It's especially impressive considering that English is obviously not your first language. My only tiny quibble would be your use of the term "command centre" to refer to the main building for all races, but aside from that it's very clear and concise.


Thanks for the feedback! I agree it's not ideal to use the command center as a general term - I considered explaining that these three structures are also known as town halls, but I decided against it on account of not wanting to use more terms than necessary, especially since that term is never used in-game. So what I figured was, in this first episode I'll use the Terrans as my example (I think the Terrans should be the most recognizable race since they're humans), mention the Nexus/Hatch, and then later I'll do an whole episode for each race where I explain how they work.
StarCraft II for Complete Beginners - youtube.com/user/AltercateSC
Altercate
Profile Joined December 2011
Sweden75 Posts
March 28 2013 09:17 GMT
#25
On March 28 2013 07:40 Pokebunny wrote:
Nice work. Getting people into Starcraft helps us all ^^


On March 28 2013 08:29 Rainmansc wrote:
Really awesome work!


On March 28 2013 08:12 Adersick wrote:
Excellent work, I was skeptical at first whether you would cover all the things a total beginner would need, but that first video said everything I could have hoped for and more! I plan to share this with a few friends of mine that just got into the game.


On March 28 2013 08:09 Nerski wrote:
I first saw the video title and went oh no.

After watching it I was pleasantly surprised at your attention to detail and video editing. As well as the very good job you did at summing up what starcraft is in a very precise way. A+ I too will save this for future use.


Thanks for the kind words everyone! I really hope this video series becomes a useful tool for people to get into this game and get excited about it!
StarCraft II for Complete Beginners - youtube.com/user/AltercateSC
Altercate
Profile Joined December 2011
Sweden75 Posts
June 01 2013 23:25 GMT
#26
Part three is finally done after a long period of other priorities...
This one's all about units; how to select and control them.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q04LT23xY-4
StarCraft II for Complete Beginners - youtube.com/user/AltercateSC
Normal
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Online Event
20:00
BamsPatch 1.0 Weekly #3
SHIN 225
Liquipedia
CranKy Ducklings
19:00
Sea Duckling Open #150 (SHIN Mod Edition)
CranKy Ducklings111
CranKy Ducklings SOOP47
LiquipediaDiscussion
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
Lowko340
SHIN 225
ProTech145
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 42436
Bisu 2461
Shuttle 1812
Hyuk 1730
Soma 446
EffOrt 443
Larva 398
Mini 388
ZerO 325
firebathero 216
[ Show more ]
Last 113
hero 94
Zeus 66
Pusan 54
Sexy 53
Trap 49
Hyun 48
Bale 43
Killer 38
Hm[arnc] 36
Aegong 27
ToSsGirL 27
PianO 25
zelot 22
Noble 17
sorry 17
yabsab 10
JulyZerg 9
Sacsri 7
Rock 6
Icarus 6
ajuk12(nOOB) 3
Dota 2
Gorgc5103
qojqva1419
Dendi1000
Heroes of the Storm
Khaldor952
crisheroes795
Liquid`Hasu200
Other Games
gofns40541
singsing2543
B2W.Neo1221
DeMusliM250
Livibee194
Liquid`VortiX98
Mew2King89
ArmadaUGS70
ZerO(Twitch)18
Organizations
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream105
[ Show 13 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• StrangeGG 52
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• Michael_bg 5
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• C_a_k_e 9023
League of Legends
• Jankos1818
Other Games
• WagamamaTV227
Upcoming Events
FEL
2h 42m
AI Arena Tournament
3h 42m
BSL: Ladder Tournament
5h 42m
Sparkling Tuna Cup
20h 42m
INu's Battles
22h 42m
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
BSL Open Qualifier
1d 5h
BSL Open Qualifier
1d 5h
Replay Cast
1d 10h
Afreeca Starleague
1d 20h
Rush vs Light
WardiTV Weekly
1d 21h
[ Show More ]
Monday Night Weeklies
2 days
Afreeca Starleague
2 days
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
2 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
3 days
The PondCast
4 days
INu's Battles
4 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-10-02
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
Copium Cup
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.