• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 21:57
CEST 03:57
KST 10:57
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup4StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)66Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2315
StarCraft 2
General
Back to SC2 after 14 years - Protoss CTRL groups? How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? October World Ranking: herO stays #1, ByuN returns SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ]
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
BW General Discussion Sagi.gg Launcher Released RepMastered™: replay sharing and analyzer site Bot on ladder BSL Season 23
Tourneys
2v2v2v2 Tournament [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 9241 users

How to know which Warpgates to Chrono Boost

Forum Index > SC2 General
Post a Reply
1 2 3 4 Next All
Diamond
Profile Blog Joined May 2009
United States10796 Posts
July 26 2011 21:59 GMT
#1
So recently I met a person at a LAN that lives near me and has become my SC2 buddy. We talk lots of strat, and everything SCII. The other day he posed a question that stumped me. To explain it, I will put in some pretty pictures!

So here you are as a fellow Brotoss getting ready to make a quick expansion off of a 3 gate expand.

[image loading]

You see an attack incoming and realize you are woefully unprepared for this attack. You only have 2 stalkers!

So you warp in 2 Zealots and a Sentry, which is still not probably enough.

[image loading]

You rally your warping in units to the natural to help in the defense but knowing you are still outgunned you need MORE! You glance at your chrono boost and notice you have 50 energy, and 2 of your 3 warpgates will be ready quicker then the 3rd (because they made Zealots). So you want to use the 50 energy on the two that warped the zealots.

Now comes the question:

[image loading]

Now normally before I did some experimentation I would have just said "idk and I'm not clicking each one individually so I'll just chrono a random 2 and hope it works!"

Now I can tell you however:

[image loading]

What? How do I know? Because of where I spawned the units. Yes that is the key. The closest Warpgate to the place being warped in is the one being used. If you look back to step 2 I spawned the left Zealot first, right Zealot second, and the Sentry third. Based of the location where I spawned them you get this:

[image loading]

Don't believe me, here's the proof:

[image loading]

For the record, I tested also this theroy with hotkeying the gates in a sub optimal way, and even with tons of X-Y plane testing. It's how it works.

Since I found this out a whole 3 days ago I never have to look at gates anymore to chrono the right one, and I've begun experimenting with different end game warpgate layouts to optimize the searching process.

So I know this isn't like change everything huge, but it should help some people out, as I know it's helped me out!

Much <3 TL
Ballistix Gaming Global Gaming/Esports Marketing Manager - twitter.com/esvdiamond
-orb-
Profile Blog Joined September 2007
United States5770 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-07-26 22:01:02
July 26 2011 22:00 GMT
#2
This is great to know, but you gotta wonder why blizzard couldn't just give us a cooldown bar over the warpgates just like every other race gets progress bars for their units building...

Thanks for figuring it out pat <3
'life of lively to live to life of full life thx to shield battery'
how sad that sc2 has no shield battery :(
IcedBacon
Profile Joined May 2011
Canada906 Posts
July 26 2011 22:01 GMT
#3
Nice find, every little fact helps :>
"I went Zerg because Artosis is a douchebag." -IdrA
TheAlchemist89
Profile Blog Joined December 2010
160 Posts
July 26 2011 22:01 GMT
#4
Interesting, thanks for the heads up :D
andiCR
Profile Blog Joined March 2008
Costa Rica2273 Posts
July 26 2011 22:02 GMT
#5
useful little piece of information! thanks! :D
Nightmare1795 wrote: I played a guy in bronze who said he was Japanese. That was the only game I ever dropped a nuke, which was purely coincidental.
skatbone
Profile Joined August 2010
United States1005 Posts
July 26 2011 22:02 GMT
#6
Interesting find. I can see this being helpful. In the heat of the moment, I don't have to time to click and compare. I often end up randomly clicking. Nice work.
Mercurial#1193
Yngvis
Profile Joined September 2009
Norway26 Posts
July 26 2011 22:05 GMT
#7
Hey, this is really useful to know! especially in hectic early-game pressure, thanks for the enlightenment
ProxyKnoxy
Profile Joined April 2011
United Kingdom2576 Posts
July 26 2011 22:05 GMT
#8
Awesome thank you I've actually been wondering about this for quite a while. Wish they could make it clearer though
"Zealot try give mariners high five. Mariners not like high five and try hide and shoot zealot"
o29
Profile Joined November 2010
United States220 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-07-26 22:07:57
July 26 2011 22:06 GMT
#9
Now normally before I did some experimentation I would have just said "idk and I'm not clicking each one individually so I'll just chrono a random 2 and hope it works!"


Your new method is interesting, but I've always just clicked the hotkey for warpgates, then clicked the individual gate that had the longest cooldown period remaining (you can glance at every warpgate's cooldown at once if they're selected). You can then click the "unit portrait" area to center your screen on the warpgate you've selected, i.e. the one with the most cooldown remaining, and chronoboost from there. This may be less efficient if you have multiple chronoboosts to be used however, since you'd have to click warpgate hotkey > warpgate with most cooldown > unit portrait > nexus hotkey > c > click > back to warpgate hotkey > next warpgate with most cooldown > unit portait > nexus hotkey> c > click, etc.
itsTheSituatioN
Profile Joined June 2011
United States70 Posts
July 26 2011 22:07 GMT
#10
only problem is this works out nicely for the first warp in. but afterwards, the cooldowns on everything will be staggered.

thus, the wg used is not the closest, but the closest that is NOT ON COOLDOWN, which could be any where
Diamond
Profile Blog Joined May 2009
United States10796 Posts
July 26 2011 22:07 GMT
#11
On July 27 2011 07:06 o29 wrote:
Show nested quote +
Now normally before I did some experimentation I would have just said "idk and I'm not clicking each one individually so I'll just chrono a random 2 and hope it works!"


Your new method is interesting, but I've always just clicked the hotkey for warpgates, then clicked the individual gate that had the longest cooldown period remaining (you can glance at every warpgate's cooldown at once if they're selected). You can then click the "unit portrait" area to center your screen on the warpgate you've selected, i.e. the one with the most cooldown remaining, and chronoboost from there. This may be less efficient if you have multiple chronoboosts to be used however, since you'd have to click warpgate hotkey > warpgate with most cooldown > unit portrait > c > click > back to warpgate hotkey > next warpgate with most cooldown > unit portait > c > click, etc.


Yes but that's still more time wasted. Plus in the late game with tons of gates it becomes less and less effective to of that method. This method holds true all game and only becomes a pain if you have gates all over the map.
Ballistix Gaming Global Gaming/Esports Marketing Manager - twitter.com/esvdiamond
DISHU
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
United Kingdom348 Posts
July 26 2011 22:08 GMT
#12
is the old method hotkeying all your gates pressing w then u see which one is behind in cooldown click on that gate and it will highligh it and then chrono it .
Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana. But what are timeflies and why do they like an arrow?
Firesilver
Profile Joined December 2010
United Kingdom1190 Posts
July 26 2011 22:08 GMT
#13
Surprisingly effective way actually to keep tabs on cooldowns, nice find there. I can see this being a real helper in PvP especially.
Caster at IMBA.tv -- www.twitter.com/IMBAFiresilver -- www.youtube.com/FiresilverTV
o29
Profile Joined November 2010
United States220 Posts
July 26 2011 22:08 GMT
#14
On July 27 2011 07:07 iCCup.Diamond wrote:
Show nested quote +
On July 27 2011 07:06 o29 wrote:
Now normally before I did some experimentation I would have just said "idk and I'm not clicking each one individually so I'll just chrono a random 2 and hope it works!"


Your new method is interesting, but I've always just clicked the hotkey for warpgates, then clicked the individual gate that had the longest cooldown period remaining (you can glance at every warpgate's cooldown at once if they're selected). You can then click the "unit portrait" area to center your screen on the warpgate you've selected, i.e. the one with the most cooldown remaining, and chronoboost from there. This may be less efficient if you have multiple chronoboosts to be used however, since you'd have to click warpgate hotkey > warpgate with most cooldown > unit portrait > c > click > back to warpgate hotkey > next warpgate with most cooldown > unit portait > c > click, etc.


Yes but that's still more time wasted. Plus in the late game with tons of gates it becomes less and less effective to of that method. This method holds true all game and only becomes a pain if you have gates all over the map.


Agreed, I was just pointing out a potentially better method than your previous method. I do agree that this new method is probably the most efficient once you get used to it.
Dalguno
Profile Blog Joined January 2011
United States2446 Posts
July 26 2011 22:09 GMT
#15
On July 27 2011 07:00 -orb- wrote:
This is great to know, but you gotta wonder why blizzard couldn't just give us a cooldown bar over the warpgates just like every other race gets progress bars for their units building...

Thanks for figuring it out pat <3


Seriously would be helpful I'd say. Good thing to know though, even if I'm not toss.
"I'm gonna keep making drones cause I'm a baller, and ballers make drones." -Snute
Razamataz
Profile Joined October 2007
Canada135 Posts
July 26 2011 22:10 GMT
#16
I found this thread to be extremely informative, thanks for taking the time!
da_head
Profile Blog Joined November 2008
Canada3350 Posts
July 26 2011 22:11 GMT
#17
very interesting! this something i've always wondered about myself. thanks for putting in the work op
When they see MC Probe, all the ladies disrobe.
duk3
Profile Joined September 2010
United States807 Posts
July 26 2011 22:11 GMT
#18
That is pretty cool, thanks for figuring this out and making a post about it.
Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana.
Amui
Profile Blog Joined August 2010
Canada10567 Posts
July 26 2011 22:13 GMT
#19
On July 27 2011 07:06 o29 wrote:
Show nested quote +
Now normally before I did some experimentation I would have just said "idk and I'm not clicking each one individually so I'll just chrono a random 2 and hope it works!"


Your new method is interesting, but I've always just clicked the hotkey for warpgates, then clicked the individual gate that had the longest cooldown period remaining (you can glance at every warpgate's cooldown at once if they're selected). You can then click the "unit portrait" area to center your screen on the warpgate you've selected, i.e. the one with the most cooldown remaining, and chronoboost from there. This may be less efficient if you have multiple chronoboosts to be used however, since you'd have to click warpgate hotkey > warpgate with most cooldown > unit portrait > c > click > back to warpgate hotkey > next warpgate with most cooldown > unit portait > c > click, etc.


IMO this would take too long. It takes me about 2 seconds to go to my gates, and then nexus shift c click click click click double tap army hotkey. If I ever get around to learning to use camera hotkeys I could probably reduce this to ~1.5ish.

I would like a cooldown bar, possibly like the inject timer on a hatch, would make split second decision making more vital. Rather than blindly chronoing the first 2 gates under my cursor, taking the 200ms to decide which 2 gates would finish first is a small buff to the best players, although I feel chrono isn't a resource which is too important after the first 8 minutes of the game.
Porouscloud - NA LoL
Olsson
Profile Joined April 2011
Sweden931 Posts
July 26 2011 22:13 GMT
#20
On July 27 2011 07:00 -orb- wrote:
This is great to know, but you gotta wonder why blizzard couldn't just give us a cooldown bar over the warpgates just like every other race gets progress bars for their units building...

Thanks for figuring it out pat <3


Because the other races dont get to be able to spawn units anywhere on the map without having the whole construction building there.
Naniwa <3
1 2 3 4 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 8h 3m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
RuFF_SC2 70
StarCraft: Brood War
Hyuk 120
NaDa 33
Dota 2
NeuroSwarm233
LuMiX0
Other Games
summit1g9596
JimRising 709
ViBE138
Mew2King85
ArmadaUGS71
Trikslyr31
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick1358
BasetradeTV199
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream109
[ Show 10 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Hupsaiya 119
• davetesta57
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Upcoming Events
Sparkling Tuna Cup
8h 3m
INu's Battles
10h 3m
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
Shopify Rebellion Sundays
13h 3m
MilkiCow vs TBD
Clem vs TBD
BSL Open Qualifier
17h 3m
BSL Open Qualifier
17h 3m
Replay Cast
21h 3m
Afreeca Starleague
1d 8h
Rush vs Light
WardiTV Weekly
1d 9h
Monday Night Weeklies
1d 14h
Replay Cast
1d 21h
[ Show More ]
Afreeca Starleague
2 days
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
2 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
2 days
The PondCast
4 days
INu's Battles
4 days
Replay Cast
5 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
Copium Cup
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.