• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 06:46
CEST 12:46
KST 19:46
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon107
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double Recent Patches and the Future Stellar Fest 1 Replay Pack Balance hotfix patch 5.0.16b (July 16)
Tourneys
2026 GSTL Grand Finals SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ] ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament Master Swan Open (Global Bronze-Master 2)
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
Bot on ladder a Announcement on the JEDI Ringing [ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach BW General Discussion PLAYzone Challenge - open offline tour in Prague
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero Nintendo Switch Thread EVE Corporation
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
All you football fans (soccer)! Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
MarineLorD Fan Club The Creator Fan Club The ShoWTimE Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
Violent-Cooperative Play and…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 7974 users

[GSL] Code S Season 2 2016 - Semi Final 2 - Page 27

Forum Index > StarCraft 2 Tournaments
Post a Reply
Prev 1 25 26 27 28 29 Next All
Penev
Profile Joined October 2012
28536 Posts
September 02 2016 12:20 GMT
#521
On September 02 2016 21:18 Shellshock wrote:
what a pleasant surprise to wake up to. thought for sure byun as going to choke today but glad to be wrong

Dear is much more likely to derp than it is for Byun to choke

But seriously, Byun played well
I Protoss winner, could it be?
Elentos
Profile Blog Joined February 2015
55594 Posts
September 02 2016 12:21 GMT
#522
On September 02 2016 21:20 Penev wrote:
Show nested quote +
On September 02 2016 21:18 Shellshock wrote:
what a pleasant surprise to wake up to. thought for sure byun as going to choke today but glad to be wrong

Dear is much more likely to derp than it is for Byun to choke

But seriously, Byun played well

Also Penev bet on Dear so poor Dear never had a chance.
Every 60 seconds in Africa, a minute passes.
Penev
Profile Joined October 2012
28536 Posts
September 02 2016 12:25 GMT
#523
On September 02 2016 21:21 Elentos wrote:
Show nested quote +
On September 02 2016 21:20 Penev wrote:
On September 02 2016 21:18 Shellshock wrote:
what a pleasant surprise to wake up to. thought for sure byun as going to choke today but glad to be wrong

Dear is much more likely to derp than it is for Byun to choke

But seriously, Byun played well

Also Penev bet on Dear so poor Dear never had a chance.

This is true

It sounds like the Shellbot is immune to my powers tho

Hmm, if he was sure of the choke he really isn't now I think of it

I Protoss winner, could it be?
Shellshock
Profile Blog Joined March 2011
United States97277 Posts
September 02 2016 12:26 GMT
#524
I liquibetted Dear. It was one of those head: Dear, heart: Byun so im not mad about it
Moderatorhttp://i.imgur.com/U4xwqmD.png
TL+ Member
Penev
Profile Joined October 2012
28536 Posts
Last Edited: 2016-09-02 12:31:29
September 02 2016 12:27 GMT
#525
On September 02 2016 21:26 Shellshock wrote:
I liquibetted Dear. It was one of those head: Dear, heart: Byun so im not mad about it

I am sorry

I swear

About the bet I mean

Not that you're not mad

Probably
I Protoss winner, could it be?
FacelessScandinavian
Profile Joined August 2016
22 Posts
September 02 2016 12:28 GMT
#526
Liquid`ByuN
Elentos
Profile Blog Joined February 2015
55594 Posts
September 02 2016 12:30 GMT
#527
On September 02 2016 21:27 Penev wrote:
Show nested quote +
On September 02 2016 21:26 Shellshock wrote:
I liquibetted Dear. It was one of those head: Dear, heart: Byun so im not mad about it

I am sorry

I swear

I'm not convinced.
Every 60 seconds in Africa, a minute passes.
Penev
Profile Joined October 2012
28536 Posts
September 02 2016 12:33 GMT
#528
On September 02 2016 21:30 Elentos wrote:
Show nested quote +
On September 02 2016 21:27 Penev wrote:
On September 02 2016 21:26 Shellshock wrote:
I liquibetted Dear. It was one of those head: Dear, heart: Byun so im not mad about it

I am sorry

I swear

I'm not convinced.

Of course you are

Here, my face:
[image loading]
I Protoss winner, could it be?
Phredxor
Profile Joined May 2013
New Zealand15076 Posts
September 02 2016 12:35 GMT
#529
On September 02 2016 21:33 Penev wrote:
Show nested quote +
On September 02 2016 21:30 Elentos wrote:
On September 02 2016 21:27 Penev wrote:
On September 02 2016 21:26 Shellshock wrote:
I liquibetted Dear. It was one of those head: Dear, heart: Byun so im not mad about it

I am sorry

I swear

I'm not convinced.

Of course you are

Here, my face:
[image loading]


Do you have a cat face and a human body or what?
Silvana
Profile Blog Joined September 2013
3713 Posts
September 02 2016 12:35 GMT
#530
The crowd was amazing today! So loud!

I was rooting for Dear but seeing ByuN so happy made me happy too
Penev
Profile Joined October 2012
28536 Posts
September 02 2016 12:36 GMT
#531
On September 02 2016 21:35 Phredxor wrote:
Show nested quote +
On September 02 2016 21:33 Penev wrote:
On September 02 2016 21:30 Elentos wrote:
On September 02 2016 21:27 Penev wrote:
On September 02 2016 21:26 Shellshock wrote:
I liquibetted Dear. It was one of those head: Dear, heart: Byun so im not mad about it

I am sorry

I swear

I'm not convinced.

Of course you are

Here, my face:
[image loading]


Do you have a cat face and a human body or what?

I'm the anti sphinx
I Protoss winner, could it be?
IMPrime
Profile Joined September 2011
United States715 Posts
September 02 2016 12:37 GMT
#532
One more thing after thinking about the games is that many of byun's good drop play came when there weren't any (or only 1) pylon nearby for dear to overcharge. Staying out of range of PO is so crucial to do any damage with your harass.

In gmae 1 he did choose a bad time to drop, but the issue with new gettysburg in tvp is that you can really only do harass damage to the main (it is so inefficient to try and harass the expos) and so dear could just stockpile a bunch of pylons in the main and the drop did almost no damage. He would've lost the game even if dear didn't attack him at that moment. The drop would've done nothing and then dear would be like "lolz he just threw away 3 medivacs for nothing guess I can kill him now".

King sejong station had no drop play (it was cloaked banshees and then he just pushed and won) but it is a much better map for drop play because the main is very wide open. The nat can be hard to do damage if the toss is paying attention (usually you come behind the minerals so they'll have pylons there already) but the main is too wide open to cover with pylons (tosses have to build their early pylons by their mineral lines so they don't instantly lose to a liberator rush) and you can safely drop your bio out of range of a PO, sometimes out of sight. That's probably why stargate openings seem to be so popular on KSS, because you need to be able to chase down the medivacs and stop the harass (blink stalkers can stop the harass too but it's hard to harass with blink stalkers unless you're going striaght up for a timing attack). It's also why I think the banshee opening was so good. Rushing stargate does allow you to make oracles, but oracles can't attack air and you can tag a banshee, but the 2nd banshee can be really hard to stop without making a second oracle. And if you open phoenix first then your detection is delayed further. If the harass does enough damage then you have a good timing to kill the toss if he makes a 3rd, since stargate tech isn't that good at killing marines (if the toss instead stays on 2 base for awhile you can bunker up and turtle, you have the better tech).

Dusk towers is similar to new gettysburg; it's very hard to deal damage to tosses because the nat and 3rd are very close together, and there's not a lot of space in the main to sneak a drop in, as putting a few pylons by the mineral line can also reach almost everywhere that the terran can drop the bio. Usually it's a battle of killing the 4th over and over and starving the toss out.

And we saw what happened on frozen temple. The nat can be hard to do damage to, but if you can get to the 3rd early before pylons are up and the toss doesn't open with stargate or blink, you can bounce between the main and nat, because the main is fairly large and it's difficult to cover the entire main with pylons. He kept sniping pylons at the 3rd so dear could never PO and then stayed out of range of any pylons in the main.

Frost is hard to say because the spawn positions do affect how the matchup plays out slightly as well as which base the toss takes for his 3rd. If the toss takes the 3rd in the middle of the map it looks like going tanks is correct as the ledges are really good for tankivac. I think if dear instead took the 3rd at the top (with the higher ground ledge nearby). I think byun would have tried more drop play and bounce between the 3rd and main again. Byun did kind of win that game because of the lucky widow mine taking out the warp prism, as well as dear taking a bad engagement under liberation zones.

The other thing that interested me about Byun was his bio composition. he seemed to be more marauder heavy than your usual terrans. Adepts don't do any damage to marauders (even though marauders don't do much damage to adepts in return) but you can wipe out stalkers really easily, and you can also focus down immortals if you have enough. Going marauder heavy and killing most of the stalkers also means that liberators get free reign too, though he never really made more than 3-4 other than the dusk tower game since that one went long. He also made a good number of widow mines every game, moreso than other terrans I've seen. If you can snipe the observer in the fight, the widow mines basically force the toss to retreat. The only game he was more marine heavy IIRC was the king sejong station game where dear committed to a lot of phoenixes so he just massed marines. I always thought that terrans should try more marauder-heavy compositions because marines die so damn quickly to adepts, but I thought that the marauders' low DPS to adepts would make the build not work. Looks like it might have some merit if you focus down all the non-adept stuff on the ground first (you saw multiple times where he just ran past the adepts to snipe stuff down because adept DPS to marauder is also really bad).

Of course behind his impeccable micro he also macro'd like a god, so this is no way as easy as it sounds. We'll also see if sos can find any holes in byun's builds. sos is definitely very tricky and smart. Byun didn't really scout dear a whole lot, it seems like he just knew what dear was gonna do. sos is unpredictable though so we'll see what happens.
Elentos
Profile Blog Joined February 2015
55594 Posts
September 02 2016 12:38 GMT
#533
On September 02 2016 21:36 Penev wrote:
Show nested quote +
On September 02 2016 21:35 Phredxor wrote:
On September 02 2016 21:33 Penev wrote:
On September 02 2016 21:30 Elentos wrote:
On September 02 2016 21:27 Penev wrote:
On September 02 2016 21:26 Shellshock wrote:
I liquibetted Dear. It was one of those head: Dear, heart: Byun so im not mad about it

I am sorry

I swear

I'm not convinced.

Of course you are

Here, my face:
[image loading]


Do you have a cat face and a human body or what?

I'm the anti sphinx

The mythical Xnihps? Praise be!
Every 60 seconds in Africa, a minute passes.
Penev
Profile Joined October 2012
28536 Posts
September 02 2016 12:40 GMT
#534
On September 02 2016 21:38 Elentos wrote:
Show nested quote +
On September 02 2016 21:36 Penev wrote:
On September 02 2016 21:35 Phredxor wrote:
On September 02 2016 21:33 Penev wrote:
On September 02 2016 21:30 Elentos wrote:
On September 02 2016 21:27 Penev wrote:
On September 02 2016 21:26 Shellshock wrote:
I liquibetted Dear. It was one of those head: Dear, heart: Byun so im not mad about it

I am sorry

I swear

I'm not convinced.

Of course you are

Here, my face:
[image loading]


Do you have a cat face and a human body or what?

I'm the anti sphinx

The mythical Xnihps? Praise be!

you should have spelled it wrong

phrexdor would have
I Protoss winner, could it be?
catabowl
Profile Joined November 2009
United States815 Posts
September 02 2016 12:40 GMT
#535
If Byun wins it all, we should send him a Puppy!!!
Jung! Myung! Hoooooooooooooooooon! #TeamPolt
Phredxor
Profile Joined May 2013
New Zealand15076 Posts
September 02 2016 12:49 GMT
#536
On September 02 2016 21:40 Penev wrote:
Show nested quote +
On September 02 2016 21:38 Elentos wrote:
On September 02 2016 21:36 Penev wrote:
On September 02 2016 21:35 Phredxor wrote:
On September 02 2016 21:33 Penev wrote:
On September 02 2016 21:30 Elentos wrote:
On September 02 2016 21:27 Penev wrote:
On September 02 2016 21:26 Shellshock wrote:
I liquibetted Dear. It was one of those head: Dear, heart: Byun so im not mad about it

I am sorry

I swear

I'm not convinced.

Of course you are

Here, my face:
[image loading]


Do you have a cat face and a human body or what?

I'm the anti sphinx

The mythical Xnihps? Praise be!

you should have spelled it wrong

phrexdor would have


Some people just don't understand how the english language works.
Noonius
Profile Joined April 2012
Estonia17413 Posts
September 02 2016 13:10 GMT
#537
On September 02 2016 20:06 MLuneth wrote:
Noonius you need to be careful now,. tasteless is coming for you

What? I'm at work, couldn't watch

But huzzah for terran
Terran forever | Maru hater forever
Inflicted
Profile Blog Joined January 2011
Australia18228 Posts
Last Edited: 2016-09-02 13:12:37
September 02 2016 13:11 GMT
#538
On September 02 2016 22:10 Noonius wrote:
Show nested quote +
On September 02 2016 20:06 MLuneth wrote:
Noonius you need to be careful now,. tasteless is coming for you

What? I'm at work, couldn't watch

But huzzah for terran


https://www.twitch.tv/gsl/v/87110806?t=02h02m00s
Liquipedia"Expert"
StarscreamG1
Profile Joined February 2011
Portugal1653 Posts
September 02 2016 13:24 GMT
#539
Liquid^Byun <3 ?
seemsgood
Profile Joined January 2016
5527 Posts
September 02 2016 13:32 GMT
#540
On September 02 2016 20:36 Penev wrote:
Show nested quote +
On September 02 2016 20:35 Elentos wrote:
On September 02 2016 20:32 Daswollvieh wrote:
On September 02 2016 20:26 Ej_ wrote:
On September 02 2016 20:26 Aeromi wrote:
On September 02 2016 20:25 Gwavajuice wrote:
On September 02 2016 20:23 Rob-Zero wrote:
On September 02 2016 20:21 opisska wrote:
So now we stop hearing excuses from foreigners that you need the mythical korean team house to be good?


Yah, one finalist in 18 years, thats really the proof those "mythical team houses" are really good for nothing.


Hehe.

Plus, seeing how much friendship ByuN has from other progamers, I'm sure he had many quality partners to train with...

He said in an interview that some KeSPA players refused to trainwith him because he was teamless.

must feel pretty awkward now


Byun has been the real elephant in the room all along.

A very smelly elephant.

[image loading]

I DIED.
Prev 1 25 26 27 28 29 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Afreeca Starleague
10:00
Ro8 Match 4
Leta vs Soulkey
Afreeca ASL 13627
StarCastTV_EN341
Liquipedia
Sparkling Tuna Cup
10:00
Weekly #148 (SHIN Mod Edition)
Krystianer vs MilkiCowLIVE!
CranKy Ducklings73
CranKy Ducklings SOOP15
LiquipediaDiscussion
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
ProTech12
Lowko0
StarCraft: Brood War
Bisu 8834
Jaedong 4307
EffOrt 2365
BeSt 1000
actioN 855
Killer 594
Soma 533
Horang2 506
ZerO 417
Pusan 382
[ Show more ]
Zeus 203
Stork 189
Rush 131
JYJ 109
Barracks 94
HiyA 54
ToSsGirL 48
Mong 46
Bale 31
Sexy 27
Shinee 27
Terrorterran 24
sorry 22
NaDa 21
Sharp 21
Noble 11
Sacsri 10
JulyZerg 10
Dota 2
Gorgc4465
XaKoH 340
Heroes of the Storm
WinterStarcraft2216
crisheroes1859
Other Games
gofns55439
singsing1408
olofmeister1263
byalli600
Livibee203
Pyrionflax143
ArmadaUGS50
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick516
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream405
StarCraft: Brood War
UltimateBattle 209
[ Show 11 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Berry_CruncH359
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• iopq 3
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
League of Legends
• Jankos1903
Upcoming Events
PiGosaur Cup
13h 14m
Kung Fu Cup
1d
The PondCast
1d 23h
Replay Cast
2 days
CranKy Ducklings
3 days
Online Event
4 days
FEL
4 days
AI Arena Tournament
4 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
4 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
4 days
[ Show More ]
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
WardiTV Weekly
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-27
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual
Stake Ranked Episode 3

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.