• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 05:56
CEST 11:56
KST 18:56
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)55Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double
Tourneys
Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) 2026 GSTL Grand Finals SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ] ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
Fantasy returning? Bot on ladder BW General Discussion ASL22 General Discussion a Announcement on the JEDI Ringing
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
General RTS Discussion Thread Nintendo Switch Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Canadian Politics Mega-thread US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 7992 users

[M] (2) Harmony

Forum Index > SC2 Maps & Custom Games
Post a Reply
Normal
Antares777
Profile Joined June 2010
United States1971 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-12-20 12:00:38
December 16 2010 21:11 GMT
#1
This is Harmony, I'd like to say it's my first map, but it's not, it's just the first one that looks like a good map lol

Version 1.1 has been released and published to B.net. Search "Harmony" to play!

Overview 1.2
+ Show Spoiler +
Bases are labeled. Red boxes represent LoSBs. Black circles are DRs. Blue circles are XWT sight range.

[image loading]


Change Log
+ Show Spoiler +
Version 1.1
-Re-textured the dark grass edges to smooth it out and improve the aesthetic value of Harmony.
-Moved XWTs so that they do not give sight into the mains.
-Raised the Fourths up a level and raised a wall behind the naturals.
-Added Trees/Doodads to the outsides of the map.
-Removed pathing on the outsides of the map.


This is pretty much a cross between Steppes of War and Destination, probably the worst choice of two maps to combine into one, but I think I pulled it off. The destructible rocks in various location force the earliest and quickest path to the enemy to be the longest one. As more and more rocks are destroyed, the map plays like its true size. The 3rd base requires you to mine out two mineral fields, each with 20 resources in them to open up the quickest path between the main and the 3rd. You can expand there before the minerals are mined, but you most likely will not be able to defend it if your expansion gets attacked.

For those who like pretty maps, you should not be disappointed with Harmony.

Leave feedback please. I need to know whether or not I'm heading in the right direction from my previous map Illusory Garden.

~Feedback is greatly appreciated!~

My Map Thread
risk.nuke
Profile Joined May 2010
Sweden2825 Posts
December 16 2010 21:18 GMT
#2
Atleast it's pretty damn beautiful!
Neo.G Soulkey, Best, firebathero. // http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/index.php?show_part=31
Antares777
Profile Joined June 2010
United States1971 Posts
December 16 2010 21:35 GMT
#3
On December 17 2010 06:18 goldfishs wrote:
Atleast it's pretty damn beautiful!


Thx! I guess I'm getting the hang of aesthetics for this stuff. Now, if anyone can explain lighting...
WniO
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
United States2706 Posts
December 16 2010 21:41 GMT
#4
I dont like how many destructable rocks there are in the map, but until ive played it i wont know for sure. hell, it could turn out like red faction
Antares777
Profile Joined June 2010
United States1971 Posts
December 16 2010 21:42 GMT
#5
On December 17 2010 06:41 WniO wrote:
I dont like how many destructable rocks there are in the map, but until ive played it i wont know for sure. hell, it could turn out like red faction


Is red faction a map? I'm not familiar with it.
iGrok
Profile Blog Joined October 2010
United States5142 Posts
December 16 2010 21:52 GMT
#6
Q: are there 2 open entrances to the main? Hard to tell from picture.

Also, I would blend the dark green edges a bit more.
MOTM | Stim.tv | TL Mafia | Fantasy Fighting! | SNSD
aisight
Profile Blog Joined October 2010
United States145 Posts
December 16 2010 22:01 GMT
#7
On December 17 2010 06:42 Antares777 wrote:
Show nested quote +
On December 17 2010 06:41 WniO wrote:
I dont like how many destructable rocks there are in the map, but until ive played it i wont know for sure. hell, it could turn out like red faction


Is red faction a map? I'm not familiar with it.

Red Faction is an old first-person shooter that showed off a little technical gimmick of the time known as destructible terrain. The gameplay basically emphasized digging paths through rock to advance.
Antares777
Profile Joined June 2010
United States1971 Posts
December 16 2010 22:09 GMT
#8
Oh, that's interesting. If Harmony flows like that, I bet it would be an exciting map to play on. I need to test it though. I'm going to upload it to B.net when I'm done with pathing (right now anyone can walk on those cliffs that are clearly out of bounds) and probably a bit more aesthetics.
Antares777
Profile Joined June 2010
United States1971 Posts
December 16 2010 22:11 GMT
#9
On December 17 2010 06:52 iGrok wrote:
Q: are there 2 open entrances to the main? Hard to tell from picture.

Also, I would blend the dark green edges a bit more.


There are indeed two entrances. One is blocked by two mineral fields, each with twenty resources, the equivalent of 8 mining trips for a worker. This backdoor is supposed to function like Destination's.

Oops, I guess I put the dark grass on too high of an increment. That will be fixed sometime soon.
Miragee
Profile Joined December 2009
8708 Posts
December 16 2010 22:28 GMT
#10
I guess player would like two take your "fourth" at their thirds. But over all looks good. For other comments I should have played on it so maybe in in the next time i'll find some time for it.
iGrok
Profile Blog Joined October 2010
United States5142 Posts
December 16 2010 22:31 GMT
#11
What Miragee said. The natural is very vulnerable once the rocks have been broken, so I would take the 4th as my third, and then I can easily take the '3rd' whenever I want.
MOTM | Stim.tv | TL Mafia | Fantasy Fighting! | SNSD
Antares777
Profile Joined June 2010
United States1971 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-12-16 22:40:33
December 16 2010 22:32 GMT
#12
On December 17 2010 07:28 Miragee wrote:
I guess player would like two take your "fourth" at their thirds. But over all looks good. For other comments I should have played on it so maybe in in the next time i'll find some time for it.


Yeah, I just got this image up so that I could get some feedback on whether or not this is a step in the right direction after Illusory Garden. I'll get this on B.net asap.

EDIT: Now on B.net. Search "Harmony" to play!
PH
Profile Blog Joined June 2008
United States6173 Posts
December 16 2010 23:45 GMT
#13
I would get rid of the destructible rocks in the center. With them in there the map looks way too tight.
Hello
Antares777
Profile Joined June 2010
United States1971 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-12-17 01:22:29
December 17 2010 01:21 GMT
#14
On December 17 2010 08:45 PH wrote:
I would get rid of the destructible rocks in the center. With them in there the map looks way too tight.


Really? I thought that without them the rush distances would be way too fast and Zerg would be at a huge disadvantage. What if I just changed the middle so that the ramps on both sides were smaller? Then only one DR on each ramp would have to be destroyed, making it easier to open the ramp up? Or maybe to open it up I could just remove the high ground in the middle. That's what I probably will do because that is just taking up space.

I'm only thinking about it and don't plan on changing anything until I get feedback from people who have played on it.
Koagel
Profile Joined October 2010
Austria167 Posts
December 17 2010 02:20 GMT
#15
On December 17 2010 07:01 aisight wrote:
Show nested quote +
On December 17 2010 06:42 Antares777 wrote:
On December 17 2010 06:41 WniO wrote:
I dont like how many destructable rocks there are in the map, but until ive played it i wont know for sure. hell, it could turn out like red faction


Is red faction a map? I'm not familiar with it.

Red Faction is an old first-person shooter that showed off a little technical gimmick of the time known as destructible terrain. The gameplay basically emphasized digging paths through rock to advance.

Yay Red Faction! I loved it back then, but I played it again one or two years ago and apart from the destructible terrain it was really bad.

Concerning the map: Your choice of textures is better, but you have to spend more time with texturing. Don't just draw a rim of dark grass on every cliff you find with a hard brush. Hard transitions don't look good. Use a softer brush and vary the size of said rim. Same thing is applicable to the doodad placement. Don't let the trees stand in a line. Vary the density, and hold shift to place them freely.
Light grass doesn't look good next to dark grass, mix both together a bit.
iGrok
Profile Blog Joined October 2010
United States5142 Posts
December 17 2010 02:26 GMT
#16
Keep the rocks - it adds a nice dynamic in the game.
MOTM | Stim.tv | TL Mafia | Fantasy Fighting! | SNSD
Antares777
Profile Joined June 2010
United States1971 Posts
December 17 2010 02:49 GMT
#17
On December 17 2010 11:20 Koagel wrote:
Show nested quote +
On December 17 2010 07:01 aisight wrote:
On December 17 2010 06:42 Antares777 wrote:
On December 17 2010 06:41 WniO wrote:
I dont like how many destructable rocks there are in the map, but until ive played it i wont know for sure. hell, it could turn out like red faction


Is red faction a map? I'm not familiar with it.

Red Faction is an old first-person shooter that showed off a little technical gimmick of the time known as destructible terrain. The gameplay basically emphasized digging paths through rock to advance.

Yay Red Faction! I loved it back then, but I played it again one or two years ago and apart from the destructible terrain it was really bad.

Concerning the map: Your choice of textures is better, but you have to spend more time with texturing. Don't just draw a rim of dark grass on every cliff you find with a hard brush. Hard transitions don't look good. Use a softer brush and vary the size of said rim. Same thing is applicable to the doodad placement. Don't let the trees stand in a line. Vary the density, and hold shift to place them freely.
Light grass doesn't look good next to dark grass, mix both together a bit.


Thanks for your feedback, I'll update this with new and improved textures sometime over the weekend. Do you have any feedback concerning gameplay?
Koagel
Profile Joined October 2010
Austria167 Posts
December 17 2010 03:10 GMT
#18
On December 17 2010 11:49 Antares777 wrote:
Thanks for your feedback, I'll update this with new and improved textures sometime over the weekend. Do you have any feedback concerning gameplay?

Well, I'm mainly the graphics guy, but if it was my map, I would get rid of the rocks in the center or use less but longer rocks to block the ramps.
EatThePath
Profile Blog Joined September 2009
United States3943 Posts
December 17 2010 06:34 GMT
#19
The distance between bases is already far great than Steppes of War, so you don't need those rocks in the center to give a reasonable rush distance. But I think the map is much better with them, because each one of the four actually plays a very big role in the local terrain there, and if both are up, that is a major difference for the entire flow of the map. They make the towers much more interesting. I don't think the rocks on the outside pathways around 5th are necessary though.

I like the mineral blocked back ramp. I would agree you succeeded in a curious merge of Steppes and Destination. I think you could also come up with something that looks very different that fits that description, but I like this one. The way it evolves as the game goes on is cool. I would say this is a large improvement on core concepts over Illusory Garden.

The towers should be scooted back towards the center. Aesthetically, it's weird they reveal a little of the main, unless you wanted that. If you do, it can let you blink in with mass stalkers without any air vision, which is pretty brutal.

I would also raise the area for the labeled 3rd up a cliff level, just so you don't have those double ramps on either side. It's not that big of a deal, though. But it would also be truer to Destination, where drops / walkaround behind the natural were a major part of the game. Come to think of it, it'd be cool if the natural had two ramps down towards middle, mimicking the bridges on Desti. (But at least one should be the size you have now, otherwise it's way too choked up.)

Nice work.
Comprehensive strategic intention: DNE
Antares777
Profile Joined June 2010
United States1971 Posts
December 17 2010 12:01 GMT
#20
On December 17 2010 15:34 EatThePath wrote:
The distance between bases is already far great than Steppes of War, so you don't need those rocks in the center to give a reasonable rush distance. But I think the map is much better with them, because each one of the four actually plays a very big role in the local terrain there, and if both are up, that is a major difference for the entire flow of the map. They make the towers much more interesting. I don't think the rocks on the outside pathways around 5th are necessary though.

I like the mineral blocked back ramp. I would agree you succeeded in a curious merge of Steppes and Destination. I think you could also come up with something that looks very different that fits that description, but I like this one. The way it evolves as the game goes on is cool. I would say this is a large improvement on core concepts over Illusory Garden.

The towers should be scooted back towards the center. Aesthetically, it's weird they reveal a little of the main, unless you wanted that. If you do, it can let you blink in with mass stalkers without any air vision, which is pretty brutal.

I would also raise the area for the labeled 3rd up a cliff level, just so you don't have those double ramps on either side. It's not that big of a deal, though. But it would also be truer to Destination, where drops / walkaround behind the natural were a major part of the game. Come to think of it, it'd be cool if the natural had two ramps down towards middle, mimicking the bridges on Desti. (But at least one should be the size you have now, otherwise it's way too choked up.)

Nice work.


Yeah, the rocks on the outside of the 5ths are not really needed. I put them there to make the rush distance shorter, because without them, I felt that players would use those side paths, and potentially walk past each other, if you know what I mean. I'm going to test the actual in game rush distance with comparison to Steppes today, so I'll be 100% certain.

You're absolutely right, those towers should be repositioned. When I first placed them, I was like "oh it's just a tiny bit of the main" but now I see how much that can change the game.

Hmm... I could raise the thirds up a level. I never noticed that before.

Expect a new version by tomorrow at the latest.

Thanks!
Antares777
Profile Joined June 2010
United States1971 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-12-17 22:49:42
December 17 2010 21:17 GMT
#21
Version 1.1 has been released.

The image has been updated to accurately show changes.

EDIT: Does anyone know why the image isn't automatically resizing? And how do I manually resize?
Antares777
Profile Joined June 2010
United States1971 Posts
December 20 2010 12:01 GMT
#22
UPDATED.

Plants have been added for aesthetics and a glitch regarded a geyser was rectified.
HollowLord
Profile Blog Joined August 2010
United States3862 Posts
December 20 2010 12:22 GMT
#23
Wow I like it... a lot.

Like a whole lot.
dota 2 stream #noskill #feed #noob twitch.tv/dmcredgrave
njAl
Profile Joined July 2010
Norway156 Posts
December 20 2010 15:15 GMT
#24
Hmm, it looks nice, but it seems very zerg favoured.
=^.^=
Antares777
Profile Joined June 2010
United States1971 Posts
December 20 2010 19:33 GMT
#25
On December 21 2010 00:15 njAl wrote:
Hmm, it looks nice, but it seems very zerg favoured.


Why do you think Harmony is Zerg favored?
Getz
Profile Joined April 2010
United States559 Posts
December 20 2010 19:41 GMT
#26
Very nice, will be testing this out asap.
스타크래프트
Antares777
Profile Joined June 2010
United States1971 Posts
December 20 2010 19:52 GMT
#27
Cool.

I'm going to actually play SCII for the first time in (counting....)

... at least six months. Wow. I'm probably like... Bronze...

So if you want to play on any of these (and most likely win), send a friend request to me (Antares.811).
Normal
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 3h 4m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 15108
firebathero 2253
Bisu 649
Hyuk 413
BeSt 199
Horang2 169
Sexy 123
EffOrt 115
Leta 106
Larva 104
[ Show more ]
Killer 80
Dewaltoss 79
Soma 78
Light 77
ZerO 72
ToSsGirL 43
Sharp 41
soO 41
Rush 33
Pusan 31
Shinee 24
Aegong 24
Bale 21
NaDa 19
Sacsri 17
Hm[arnc] 15
sorry 12
JulyZerg 11
Noble 5
Terrorterran 3
Dota 2
Fuzer 158
Counter-Strike
shoxiejesuss1172
byalli697
kRYSTAL_32
Heroes of the Storm
Khaldor1035
crisheroes636
Other Games
gofns30143
singsing1625
olofmeister1065
ceh9660
Mew2King101
ArmadaUGS47
ZerO(Twitch)17
Organizations
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream176
[ Show 10 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• FirePhoenix5
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• lizZardDota2383
Upcoming Events
Stellar Fest
3h 4m
OSC
12h 4m
CranKy Ducklings
1d
Online Event
1d 1h
FEL
1d 6h
AI Arena Tournament
1d 7h
BSL: Ladder Tournament
1d 9h
Sparkling Tuna Cup
2 days
INu's Battles
2 days
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
BSL Open Qualifier
2 days
[ Show More ]
BSL Open Qualifier
2 days
Replay Cast
2 days
Afreeca Starleague
3 days
Rush vs Light
WardiTV Weekly
3 days
Replay Cast
3 days
Afreeca Starleague
4 days
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
4 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
4 days
The PondCast
6 days
INu's Battles
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-30
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.