• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 12:16
CEST 18:16
KST 01:16
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double1Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon105
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double Balance hotfix patch 5.0.16b (July 16) How do you feel about the StarCraft shooter announcement at BlizzCon 2026? Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple
Tourneys
2026 GSTL Grand Finals ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament Master Swan Open (Global Bronze-Master 2) Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20)
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
BW General Discussion Bot on ladder [ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach PLAYzone Challenge - open offline tour in Prague an AI researcher's take on the ladder bot
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 1
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero Nintendo Switch Thread EVE Corporation
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread All you football fans (soccer)!
Fan Clubs
MarineLorD Fan Club The Creator Fan Club The ShoWTimE Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
Violent-Cooperative Play and…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 7873 users

GomTV Global SC2 League Announced! - Page 26

Forum Index > News
895 CommentsPost a Reply
Prev 1 24 25 26 27 28 45 Next All
chirhhhh
Profile Joined January 2010
United States3 Posts
August 05 2010 19:25 GMT
#501
On August 06 2010 04:22 lac29 wrote:
This looks exciting but I'm sad that it doesn't seem to take team competition into consideration.


"GomTV is planning on sponsoring skilled players and also planning on adding other StarCraft II leagues including a clan league." Not sure when that's planned for.
Oz.Jaedong.Killer
AyJay
Profile Joined April 2010
1515 Posts
August 05 2010 19:26 GMT
#502
On August 06 2010 03:48 Juaks wrote:
Show nested quote +
On August 06 2010 03:40 KudoJoe wrote:
On August 06 2010 03:36 Juaks wrote:
On August 06 2010 03:14 teamsolid wrote:
The real question is...

Is Tasteless gonna be casting this for us?


I am almost sure he will. I heard on an interview Artosis made to him that he had big plans with GOMTV but he couldnt tell us much at that moment. I guess now the secret is revealed.

I am so glad he is showing again in this big new e-sport scene that SC2 is. I would love to see him co-cast with Day9. I am sure he wont be the only english commentator anyways. There will be to much to cover. SC2 is getting bigger and bigger all over the world.


The real question is....

Will lilsusie be casting and doing interviews? <3


I hope she will. She is hot . but maybe doing interviews and translations. For casting I´ll rather get SDM which does much better along with Nick.

yeah the only reason to have her is because she's hot.

....

...

Nerds....
knyttym
Profile Blog Joined December 2006
United States5797 Posts
August 05 2010 19:30 GMT
#503
Amazing. This is exactly what is needed to popularize sc2 in korea.

As for the high textures, I was wondering why at first. I tested it and it had no noticeable difference to the game as I just tested some cloaked units and burrowed movement. It has seemly no affect on the prettiness of your game so I'm not sure what is up.
Deadlyhazard
Profile Joined May 2010
United States1177 Posts
August 05 2010 19:34 GMT
#504
I hope the stream screens for this are bigger than that tiny one they had when I watched GomTV. I hope it's just like when people watch sports and it's on a decent screen ;-:.
Hark!
Titusmaster6
Profile Blog Joined September 2007
United States5937 Posts
August 05 2010 19:37 GMT
#505
This is unreal, just simply...

E-sports, here we come!
Shorts down shorts up, BOOM, just like that.
Full.tilt
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
United Kingdom1709 Posts
August 05 2010 19:39 GMT
#506
Want to sell up and start up a foriegners SC2 house in Seoul
slappy
Profile Blog Joined March 2010
United States1271 Posts
August 05 2010 19:40 GMT
#507
im going to be in korea a week too late for prelims :-(. seeing that prize money gave me butterflies in my stomach.. not that i could compete in the finals or anything, but even if i made it to the round of 64!
jaedong imba
Milkis
Profile Blog Joined January 2010
5003 Posts
August 05 2010 19:41 GMT
#508
We'll find out how successful this all is when it actually happens.

There are a couple things to keep in mind that may hurt this. There are some "technical" points -- first thing is that it's not going to be casted on TV -- it's only done through GOM TV. While this is "great" for foreign fans, this isn't necessary going to get that much attention from the casual person.

Secondly, this is just ONE tournament per month. Remember that this is not a Professional league but a league meant for amateurs -- it's great that amateurs now have a big event that they can dream of winning, but that honestly isn't going to be enough to guarantee a successful competitive scene. Starcraft I grew out of many PC Bang tournaments -- meanwhile, SC2 does not have very many tournaments yet. I am, however, hoping that this announcement will drastically increase SC2 gameplay in Korea -- considering that SC2 is doing absolutely poorly considering the game is free for any Korean at this time.

Also note that, while the Prize Money may seem "huge", consider that there's like a 33% (maybe more?) tax for amateurs winning the game. (This is why the progamer status is important -- it turns this tax into 3%). This is still something Blizzard will need to work out.

Now for the cultural aspect.

The league can be as competitive as it wants. However, realize that it's not going to be anything but a "big tournament" if not many people watch it. SC1 was only popular because "everyone" had played the game and thus, they have an idea of what's going on when they watch SC1. Many people will have to "learn to watch" SC2 and that's definitely going to take away from the viewership. It being an internet broadcast doesn't exactly help their case either.

In the end though, this is a good move for Blizzard. I'm glad they had more planned (okay, I was expecting this but whatever) than just putting up advertisement everywhere in Korea and forcefeeding Korea with Starcraft Ads or making set menus for fast food chains. However, just making a big tournament isn't going to be good enough, and, I hope they develop the architecture needed for a proper eSports. This is a good first step but it's nothing to be hyped about until we see how successful it gets and how much this tournament announcement has on people playing the game. I hope Blizzard takes this first step well and then makes sure not to ignore all the problems that may arise or miss all the details and make sure they are going for a proper eSports, not just some gimmick tournament.

tl;dr, dont' be an Iron Chef America.

McBrian
Profile Joined June 2010
Denmark38 Posts
August 05 2010 19:44 GMT
#509
That's a seriously sick prize pool O.O
dRaW
Profile Blog Joined January 2010
Canada5744 Posts
August 05 2010 19:45 GMT
#510
HOLY SH~ That's a lot of cash...
I don't need luck, luck is for noobs, good luck to you though
blade55555
Profile Blog Joined March 2009
United States17423 Posts
August 05 2010 19:48 GMT
#511
Ah after re-reading it I am thinking that for foreigners they have to go to seoul unless I am reading this incorrectly to try and qualify (for the open tournaments). Don't think we'll see too many foreigners though :/.

Still super pumped as watching games 5 days a week is awesome :D. Idra fighting!
When I think of something else, something will go here
TheTuna
Profile Joined August 2009
United States286 Posts
August 05 2010 19:51 GMT
#512
AWESOME! Can't wait!
Yokoblue
Profile Joined March 2010
Canada594 Posts
August 05 2010 19:57 GMT
#513
Ive got a question.

To participate... you got to be there in seoul when everything happens... Am I right ???
Master League playing Protoss and Zerg
-infinite-
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
United States44 Posts
August 05 2010 20:02 GMT
#514
Good, God.... I'm stoked for this.
One shot, one kill. Ready to die but never will.
Runsta
Profile Joined March 2008
United States161 Posts
August 05 2010 20:03 GMT
#515
OMG. AWESOME!
robertdinh
Profile Joined June 2010
803 Posts
August 05 2010 20:03 GMT
#516
I really hope things pan out well, this really reminds me of how CS:source was forced in the esports scene by cgs, it created a huge split in the CS community with america basically going source for a year and EU staying 1.6, source and cgs went under because they were a league built on hype and 1.6 never fully recovered in the US after so many players had been lured to source by the $$$.

If SC2 ends up with a healthy community, while BW stays alive as well with a strong community, this will be great for esports. If SC2 essentially kills BW merely because it gets infused with more money in a short period of time, it will stunt esport's growth.

If SC2 dies out like war3 did over the next few years it will also stunt esport's growth.

I like SC2, I do feel it isn't as skillful a game as BW, but it doesn't sit right with me how it is being promoted with so much hype and $$$ so early in it's life before the game has even evolved to a level that you would consider a professional level.
True skill comes without effort.
IronWolf
Profile Blog Joined October 2009
South Africa315 Posts
August 05 2010 20:11 GMT
#517
This is a huuge step to bringing e-sports to a global stage!! well done Gom/Blizzard

These prize pools are outrages!! I wish I wasn't trash!
blade55555
Profile Blog Joined March 2009
United States17423 Posts
August 05 2010 20:13 GMT
#518
On August 06 2010 04:57 Yokoblue wrote:
Ive got a question.

To participate... you got to be there in seoul when everything happens... Am I right ???


i'm almost 100% positive that yes you have to be in seoul least from both times I have read it heh. Its why I dont' think many foreigners will try out for this because who wants to do a qualifier if it costs about 1000$ to travel to korea and back because if you don't qualify well kind of a waste of money and thats not including food/housing/etc unless you got an awesome sponsor or something hehe.
When I think of something else, something will go here
LaughingTulkas
Profile Joined March 2008
United States1107 Posts
August 05 2010 20:23 GMT
#519
SO many skilled games are gonna come from this. That's so much money!
"I love noobies, they're so happy." -Chill
GGTeMpLaR
Profile Blog Joined June 2009
United States7226 Posts
August 05 2010 20:23 GMT
#520
best news I've heard in a while
Prev 1 24 25 26 27 28 45 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Monday Night Weeklies
16:00
#65
RotterdaM415
TaKeTV 64
BRAT_OK 32
LiquipediaDiscussion
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
RotterdaM 415
ProTech139
TKL 100
UpATreeSC 66
Rex 38
BRAT_OK 32
Codebar 24
StarCraft: Brood War
Bisu 1286
Shuttle 1067
EffOrt 502
ggaemo 341
Mini 327
Stork 264
firebathero 189
Light 175
Dewaltoss 118
Rush 92
[ Show more ]
Barracks 88
910 73
Sea.KH 64
Zeus 56
sorry 51
Shinee 47
Killer 46
Hyun 45
Shine 42
Mong 41
ToSsGirL 23
Bale 22
soO 19
Aegong 19
Sexy 16
ajuk12(nOOB) 14
Trap 11
yabsab 11
Sacsri 10
zelot 7
Dota 2
qojqva4544
Dendi2030
BananaSlamJamma454
LuMiX0
Counter-Strike
Fnx 718
Heroes of the Storm
crisheroes617
Other Games
singsing2045
Liquid`RaSZi1907
hiko1205
B2W.Neo1089
Liquid`VortiX236
ArmadaUGS192
Sick170
Trikslyr43
Organizations
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream544
[ Show 13 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• mYiSmile129
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• FirePhoenix4
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
League of Legends
• Nemesis2602
• TFBlade867
Other Games
• WagamamaTV244
Upcoming Events
Sparkling Tuna Cup
17h 45m
Afreeca Starleague
17h 45m
Leta vs Soulkey
PiGosaur Cup
1d 7h
Kung Fu Cup
1d 18h
The PondCast
2 days
Replay Cast
3 days
CranKy Ducklings
4 days
Online Event
4 days
FEL
4 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
5 days
[ Show More ]
Sparkling Tuna Cup
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
WardiTV Weekly
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-27
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual
Stake Ranked Episode 3

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.