• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 10:07
CEST 16:07
KST 23:07
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup8StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)69Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2316
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup Back to SC2 after 14 years - Protoss CTRL groups? October World Ranking: herO stays #1, ByuN returns
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ]
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
Sagi.gg Launcher Released Fantasy returning? Bot on ladder [ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror mca64Launcher 2.0
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 2v2v2v2 Tournament
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Russo-Ukrainian War Thread US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Canadian Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8345 users

[H]Computer To TV Cables

Forum Index > General Forum
Post a Reply
1 2 Next All
CharlieMurphy
Profile Blog Joined March 2006
United States22895 Posts
Last Edited: 2009-06-17 00:41:31
May 22 2009 00:40 GMT
#1
Edit- Read bump instead please

Recently I got an 12ft. S-Video cable from worstbuy so I could plug my computer into the big Flatscreen HD TV we have.

When I got home I realized it wasn't S-Video it was Vivo which looks a lot like Svid. Now I asked the moron at best buy if there were any ways to connect a computer to a tv besides s-video and hdmi and he said no.

My video card (Ati Sapphire x1950xt) which came with the vivo cables but they are fucking 6 inches long and completely worthless. It also came with another pack of wires which are yellow and black molexes and have female s-video
[image loading]
(The vivo is the Red green blue).

Also my card has 2x DVI outputs with adapters for VGA (which I use for my CRT monitor).

So I was wondering what type of ways are there to connect a comp to a tv. Svid, dvi?, vivo, hdmi, etc? What way is the best way as far as quality of picture and delay to screen?

Which is another thing, It seemed like the picture was delayed a bit (we were playing SF3:3s) I dunno if this was because I used my old computer (which is the only one with a s-video port on the geforce 5500 fx card). And the picture on the desktop was really blurry and hard to read text.

Is there some kind of chart comparison between the methods? Is there a way I can get an adapter to plug a s-video into the vivo port?
[image loading]


Also where is the best/cheapest place to get a hold of such items? Newegg?
..and then I would, ya know, check em'. (Aka SpoR)
T.O.P. *
Profile Blog Joined January 2009
Hong Kong4685 Posts
May 22 2009 00:46 GMT
#2
You could get a DVI to HDMI cable
http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10231&cs_id=1023104&p_id=2405&seq=1&format=2
or you could get a DVI to HDMI adapter and a HDMI cable.
http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=104&cp_id=10419&cs_id=1041902&p_id=2029&seq=1&format=2
Oracle comes in, Scvs go down, never a miscommunication.
VIB
Profile Blog Joined November 2007
Brazil3567 Posts
May 22 2009 00:52 GMT
#3
There are ViVo to S-Video adaptors just look at local stores, that type is not common at where I live so I have no idea if you could find it there. But if your video card has it I suppose it would be common to find.

I cannot identify what your cable adaptors are from those pics. But maybe you already have the right one. Doesn't your ViVo cable adaptor plug in the port on one side and the s video on another?
Great people talk about ideas. Average people talk about things. Small people talk about other people.
hooktits
Profile Blog Joined February 2008
United States972 Posts
May 22 2009 01:09 GMT
#4
i have been tryin to do the same thing so i can watch vods on my tv since i watch so many i get tired of sitting at my computer and watching them... i would rather sit at a couch
Hooktits of Tits gaming @hooktits twit
snorlax
Profile Blog Joined December 2008
United States755 Posts
May 22 2009 01:20 GMT
#5
hrm I should get me some of these =]
VIB
Profile Blog Joined November 2007
Brazil3567 Posts
May 22 2009 01:26 GMT
#6
It's a very simple process that only requires you to look up:
- what plugs your video card have
- what plugs your tv have
- find one in common, or one that is adaptable to the other
- connect them

I have my computer plugged to my TV using the RGB cable (monitor cable). So it all depends on what you have, just look at your tv and video card.

And just don't worry about the cable bandwidth and resolution. The simplest one will have more than what you'll need to watch movies on 20ish inches tv.
Great people talk about ideas. Average people talk about things. Small people talk about other people.
maleorderbride
Profile Joined November 2002
United States2916 Posts
Last Edited: 2009-05-22 03:56:20
May 22 2009 03:55 GMT
#7
you cant use that vivo to component adapter and just get longer component wires?

or get a cable that is female DVI and male HDMI.obviously you will need to solve the sound problem on your own, but you can just continue to use your computer speakers if they are in the same room.

and as posted above me, monoprice is the place to get cheap cords.
Some cause happiness wherever they go; others, whenever they go.
CharlieMurphy
Profile Blog Joined March 2006
United States22895 Posts
May 22 2009 05:29 GMT
#8
yea I just watched a movie and its fine but for reading and general computer use it sucks. Plus I'm using an old comp and video card because my comp is the one in the op and I don't have the right cables.
..and then I would, ya know, check em'. (Aka SpoR)
jimminy_kriket
Profile Blog Joined February 2007
Canada5542 Posts
May 22 2009 07:52 GMT
#9
I thought vivo was just a component output. You cant just hook a component cable up or am i way off?
life of lively to live to life of full life thx to shield battery
Kennelie
Profile Joined December 2007
United States2296 Posts
May 22 2009 13:44 GMT
#10
On May 22 2009 10:26 VIB wrote:
It's a very simple process that only requires you to look up:
- what plugs your video card have
- what plugs your tv have
- find one in common, or one that is adaptable to the other
- connect them

I have my computer plugged to my TV using the RGB cable (monitor cable). So it all depends on what you have, just look at your tv and video card.

And just don't worry about the cable bandwidth and resolution. The simplest one will have more than what you'll need to watch movies on 20ish inches tv.

+1

I would comment further but you really didn't state what options you have out of your TV.
ya had ya shot kid!
CharlieMurphy
Profile Blog Joined March 2006
United States22895 Posts
Last Edited: 2009-06-17 00:40:53
June 17 2009 00:34 GMT
#11
Ok , bumping. What gives the best picture quality in a ranking:

HDMI, S-video, Vivo, ? , etc. (i don't know all the possible ways to connect cpu to tv)

Also does it effect quality if you use something like HDMI to DVI converter? My tv can take basically anything, But As you can see in the picture the card is limited to Vivo and DVI which will need converters/adapters.

What is the best method to retain the best picture and latency?
..and then I would, ya know, check em'. (Aka SpoR)
VIB
Profile Blog Joined November 2007
Brazil3567 Posts
June 17 2009 00:42 GMT
#12
HDMI = DVI > S-Video = ViVo
Great people talk about ideas. Average people talk about things. Small people talk about other people.
CharlieMurphy
Profile Blog Joined March 2006
United States22895 Posts
June 17 2009 00:50 GMT
#13
ok, so is there any degradation with using adapters?
..and then I would, ya know, check em'. (Aka SpoR)
Chuiu
Profile Blog Joined June 2003
3470 Posts
June 17 2009 03:36 GMT
#14
Not really but you'll find that TV screens aren't suited for anything but playing videos and games when you hook up your computer.
♞
CharlieMurphy
Profile Blog Joined March 2006
United States22895 Posts
Last Edited: 2009-06-17 03:54:12
June 17 2009 03:44 GMT
#15
that's ok really (it is a really big HD flat screen), so I just tried to plug the S-video into this adapter
http://www.svideo.com/6110018100.html and the adapter into the vivo port. It didn't work. Am I doing something wrong?

Do I need to plug in the ends of all the cables?
..and then I would, ya know, check em'. (Aka SpoR)
teh leet newb
Profile Blog Joined January 2005
United States1999 Posts
June 17 2009 03:59 GMT
#16
S-video blows. Just forget about it and use a DVI -> HDMI adapter (DVI is basically the same signal as HDMI, except HDMI can also carry audio and the plug is smaller). As for sound, just get a 3.5mm audio -> red/white RCA adapter. All together this will probably cost you like $10 shipped on monoprice.
"The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter." - Winston Churchill
CharlieMurphy
Profile Blog Joined March 2006
United States22895 Posts
Last Edited: 2009-06-17 04:04:36
June 17 2009 04:03 GMT
#17
Yea I already have the stereo adapter (actually a couple of them). I don't wanna order it online, there has to be some place I can just pick one up. And since I already have the S-video cable I might as well get the adapter for it.
..and then I would, ya know, check em'. (Aka SpoR)
CaucasianAsian
Profile Blog Joined September 2005
Korea (South)11601 Posts
June 17 2009 04:07 GMT
#18
is there a way to get it from ur laptop to the yellow, red and white slots on ur TV?
Calendar@ Fish Server: `iOps]..Stark
CharlieMurphy
Profile Blog Joined March 2006
United States22895 Posts
Last Edited: 2009-06-17 04:19:11
June 17 2009 04:18 GMT
#19
On June 17 2009 13:07 CaucasianAsian wrote:
is there a way to get it from ur laptop to the yellow, red and white slots on ur TV?

Its not a laptop, its my dekstop. It has a wifi NIC though so its legit. (Unless you were just asking your own question.) Not sure what you mean, I don't think you can use standard A/V cables for this and they don't plug into the card anyways.
..and then I would, ya know, check em'. (Aka SpoR)
teh leet newb
Profile Blog Joined January 2005
United States1999 Posts
June 17 2009 04:21 GMT
#20
On June 17 2009 13:03 CharlieMurphy wrote:
Yea I already have the stereo adapter (actually a couple of them). I don't wanna order it online, there has to be some place I can just pick one up. And since I already have the S-video cable I might as well get the adapter for it.


The difference between S-video and HDMI is like night and day though, definitely worth the investment.
"The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter." - Winston Churchill
1 2 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
WardiTV Weekly
20:00
WardiTV Mondays #107
IntoTheiNu 1512
WardiTV869
OGKoka 239
Liquipedia
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
OGKoka 239
StarCraft: Brood War
Calm 8286
Bisu 2301
Shuttle 1123
Horang2 768
Larva 512
BeSt 506
EffOrt 442
Stork 308
actioN 282
Mini 238
[ Show more ]
Mind 174
Zeus 101
910 98
Barracks 79
Snow 73
Mong 67
Sea.KH 59
hero 53
Shinee 42
JYJ 36
ToSsGirL 33
sorry 32
Bale 30
Sexy 29
Aegong 25
Killer 23
Shine 22
Yoon 21
soO 20
HiyA 19
Free 14
scan(afreeca) 12
Terrorterran 10
zelot 9
Sacsri 8
Icarus 6
Noble 6
Dota 2
Gorgc5192
qojqva2033
Dendi1069
febbydoto42
Counter-Strike
fl0m2010
Heroes of the Storm
Lowko446
Other Games
singsing2874
olofmeister1235
hiko1000
B2W.Neo805
Livibee476
crisheroes405
XBOCT288
TKL 262
Hui .238
Pyrionflax216
XaKoH 204
Liquid`VortiX162
Organizations
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream25
[ Show 12 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• LUISG 29
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• HerbMon 31
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
League of Legends
• Nemesis2955
• Jankos2023
Upcoming Events
Monday Night Weeklies
1h 53m
Replay Cast
8h 53m
Afreeca Starleague
19h 53m
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
20h 53m
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
1d 9h
The PondCast
2 days
INu's Battles
2 days
Percival vs TBD
TBD vs herO
OSC
3 days
Replay Cast
4 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
5 days
[ Show More ]
Sparkling Tuna Cup
5 days
Patches Events
6 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
HCC Season 3
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.