• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 04:01
CEST 10:01
KST 17:01
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup4StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)66Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2316
StarCraft 2
General
Back to SC2 after 14 years - Protoss CTRL groups? How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? October World Ranking: herO stays #1, ByuN returns SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ]
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
BSL Season 23 Sagi.gg Launcher Released Bot on ladder BW General Discussion RepMastered™: replay sharing and analyzer site
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 2v2v2v2 Tournament [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 9786 users

Ebook readers

Forum Index > General Forum
Post a Reply
1 2 3 Next All
horste
Profile Joined February 2011
Belgium54 Posts
February 13 2011 14:05 GMT
#1
First forum post for me, so excuse me if it's in a wrong section or anything.

Hello everyone, ever since I started going to university, I've been spending a lot of time on the tram etc, to the point where it's getting really boring to waste like 3 hours a day on it with just listening to music. I am a pretty big fan of reading, however I need to carry a lot of books around for school already, so paper versions of big books ain't realy ideal. Because of this I started to think about getting myself an Ebook reader, point is just that I know absolutely nobody that has one, so I tought I'd ask about experiences here. I would only use it for reading, so Ipad and similar stuff are out of the question. just looking for a nice one that is about 200 euros tops

In short, if you have an Ebook reader, do you enjoy using it, or is it a waste of money getting one? Additional information like what type it is, and where you get your Ebooks would be a real big bonus too ofcourse.

thanks a lot in advance
Rflcrx
Profile Joined October 2010
503 Posts
February 13 2011 14:32 GMT
#2
I have a Kindle third generation (wifi, no 3G) and I enjoy it a lot. But what kind of ebook reader you want depends on how you use it. The kindle has no good pdf support, but for reading books it is imo way better than the sony (which has pdf support, but sadly a touchscreen).

There are tons and tons of reviews at mobileread.com, but like I said it really depends on how and what you are reading. For the kindle there are already thousands of books available so if you enjoy reading, but don't mind not having fancy stuff like surfing around etc. the kindle might be right for you. Keep in mind that almost all books at Amazon have a kindle version now, but only in english (books in foreign languages are almost non-existing).
Dacendoran
Profile Blog Joined June 2009
United States825 Posts
February 13 2011 14:34 GMT
#3
Honestly the ipod actually may have an application as far as E-book readers go I use my ipod touch as an e-book reader while I listen to music on it and you could get one on ebay or craiglist for about the same price youd get a kindle for (and it has more functionality).
Zealotdriver
Profile Blog Joined December 2009
United States1557 Posts
February 13 2011 14:37 GMT
#4
I've used a 3rd generation Kindle for a few hours. It was great. The e-ink display is easy on the eyes, but has tens of milliseconds of delay at page transitions. You need an external light source with the Kindle as well. PDF reading works really well. The battery life is long, but the CPU is as slow as a Protoss reaver and web browsing sucks with the current firmware.
Turn off the radio
horste
Profile Joined February 2011
Belgium54 Posts
February 13 2011 14:44 GMT
#5
Thanks for the answers so far. I don't mind reading in english, I'm used to that. How much does a book normally cost to get on kindle? And is there any way to use my .pdf books on a kindle or not? since zealot says it's easy, but rflcrx says the support sucks.

Thanks a lot for the advice so far tough! really helpfull
Rflcrx
Profile Joined October 2010
503 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-02-13 14:49:23
February 13 2011 14:46 GMT
#6
On February 13 2011 23:37 Zealotdriver wrote:
PDF reading works really well.


No, the kindle is unable to resize pdfs, meaning you need to scroll in both directions. PDFs with picture texts or pure pictures are even worse.

Oh and no, anything that doesn't use e-ink (any kind of pad) cannot be compared to a real ebook reader.

On February 13 2011 23:44 horste wrote:
Thanks for the answers so far. I don't mind reading in english, I'm used to that. How much does a book normally cost to get on kindle? And is there any way to use my .pdf books on a kindle or not? since zealot says it's easy, but rflcrx says the support sucks.

Thanks a lot for the advice so far tough! really helpfull


See: http://www.amazon.com/Kindle-eBooks/b/ref=sa_menu_kbo3?ie=UTF8&node=1286228011 for cost (it usually is ~5$ cheaper than a hardcover).

It does support pdf but not good. It takes too long to load and you need to scroll. You can however convert every pdf to mobi/pcr (kindle native format), either by using the amazon service (you mail it to your own kindle email address) which does a decent job, or you can do it with third party software (I do it that way to have a better result (pictures/format etc.) but it takes longer (but I think it is worth it if I convert huge books).

You can download the software at mobileread.com and test it yourself (open the pcr/mobi file with a software reader like ybook).
Beavo
Profile Blog Joined August 2010
Canada293 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-02-13 14:47:56
February 13 2011 14:47 GMT
#7
I don't think it is a waste of money, you will never have to buy a book as pretty much every book is online for free. I have a Sony, My brother a kindle, and my sister a Kobo. Any one who says its easier to read a book on one over the other probably has never tried the others because there is almost no difference. The Sony is by far the easiest to download your own books for free because yo don't have to convert anything, where the others ones usually have a step or two more. I have about 1600 books and I have not payed for a single one.

But it is different for every person, I go through periods where I will use it everyday and don't touch it for a month at a time. The main use I have is going to the science library at school and they will put your text books on my Sony for me and have it auto delete after 2 weeks.
No one remembers second place
Wesso
Profile Joined August 2010
Netherlands1245 Posts
February 13 2011 14:47 GMT
#8
I have an ebook reader, but I would have bought a Nook if it was available in my country. And do not buy a non-e-ink screen e-reader. If you have a smartphone, you can probably download a ereader app, which is free. E-ink screens read much better though. Also, for free ebooks, go to projectgutenberg.com, there are lots of them there.
Beavo
Profile Blog Joined August 2010
Canada293 Posts
February 13 2011 14:51 GMT
#9
On February 13 2011 23:47 Wesso wrote:
I have an ebook reader, but I would have bought a Nook if it was available in my country. And do not buy a non-e-ink screen e-reader. If you have a smartphone, you can probably download a ereader app, which is free. E-ink screens read much better though. Also, for free ebooks, go to projectgutenberg.com, there are lots of them there.


That is a good site but for the most part just classic books.
No one remembers second place
zyax
Profile Joined April 2010
25 Posts
February 13 2011 14:56 GMT
#10
I own a Kindle 3 and it fully supports .pdf since version 2. You can check the Kindle prices here: Kindle Store, there are also tons of free e-books around and amazon regularly offers free kindle e-books aswell. The nook would be a good alternative but as far as i know it isn't supported in belgium. And please for the sake of your eyes don't use anything with a LCD(read ipad/ipod) as ebook reader.
floor exercise
Profile Blog Joined August 2008
Canada5847 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-02-13 14:58:09
February 13 2011 14:57 GMT
#11
I have a Kindle 3 as well and I really like it. I can read for hours on the screen, much longer than I can sit infront of a monitor. Battery time is great and I use Caliber to convert/transfer everything over just fine even though it doesn't support epub.

If your intentions are strictly to read ebooks nothing beats a Kindle or another e-ink reader, but it's really admittedly weak for anything else
deafhobbit
Profile Blog Joined July 2010
United States828 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-02-13 14:59:28
February 13 2011 14:58 GMT
#12
Frankly, i think the Kindle 3 is strictly better than the pre-color Nooks - it's smaller, faster, has better battery life, and really doesn't lack any functionality. However, the Nook color adds several extra capabilities that make it a compelling alternative. Kindle and Nook are both well designed devices - at the end of the day which is better depends on what you want your reader to do. I own a Kindle 3, but I know people who have a Nook color, and they're both great devices at doing what they're designed to do.

The Kindle 3 is a single function device - it reads books, and does so with awesome battery life, fast page refreshes, and not much else. It can do some other things (like browse the internet), but not that well, and it never sacrifices its core functionality in order to fit in other capabilities.

The Nook Color is a diet ipad. It can read books, but since it has a full color screen it has a worse battery life and more glare than the kindle. However, you can use it to browse the internet easily, watch movies, and do almost anything you'd expect an ipad to do - minus the apps.
.
Also, don't freak out too much about formats. The Kindle is a bit more restrictive, but it's not so bad it's insurmountable. It can read txt files, meaning that if you have an ebook in another format you can pretty easily just copy paste it into something it can read.
I cheer for underdogs and Flash
6xy
Profile Blog Joined March 2010
Philippines51 Posts
February 13 2011 15:05 GMT
#13
Ebook readers really are for that purpose. I have a kindle and it is great. I wouldnt recommend ebook readers that do not have the e-ink display as it is really like staring at a computer screen. I dont really care much for color displays since I just read text-heavy books most of the time.
zerg, zerg everywhere.
znowstorm
Profile Blog Joined November 2010
Australia281 Posts
February 13 2011 15:08 GMT
#14
I have a kindle. I really like it. I actually read faster on a kindle than with a book. It may lead you to buying way more books though as it is super easy.
frozenclaw
Profile Blog Joined December 2006
Canada410 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-02-13 15:14:09
February 13 2011 15:12 GMT
#15
I have a sony PRS-600. It's really good and cheap. I got one used for 130$ and it's actually great really awesome.

[image loading]


Could play mp3'd too. Really solid aluminum frame. Screen could have some glare since it's coating is whatever.
Alou
Profile Blog Joined March 2010
United States3748 Posts
February 13 2011 15:16 GMT
#16
I have a Kindle and I love it. I've heard the Nook is decent too. Never had a problem with the Kindle personally and plenty of books to get on it
Life is Good.
frozenclaw
Profile Blog Joined December 2006
Canada410 Posts
February 13 2011 15:20 GMT
#17
Why do you guys buy books? Can't you just convert to epub through different programs (IE: Calibre)??
Sufficiency
Profile Blog Joined October 2010
Canada23833 Posts
February 13 2011 15:20 GMT
#18
Too bad we all have to work with budget restrictions. The upcoming iPad 2 *could* be a very good reader, I think.
https://twitter.com/SufficientStats
Rflcrx
Profile Joined October 2010
503 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-02-13 15:47:44
February 13 2011 15:46 GMT
#19
On February 13 2011 23:56 zyax wrote:
I own a Kindle 3 and it fully supports .pdf since version 2.


no, it doesn't *sigh*

And yeah, people should really stop say that an Ipad can be a ebook reader, because it can't.
betaV1.25
Profile Joined April 2010
425 Posts
February 13 2011 15:47 GMT
#20
i really like the kindle i think its by far the most superior e-reader out there atm.

1 2 3 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 1h 59m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft: Brood War
Hyuk 199
Shinee 91
Hyun 85
Killer 48
Snow 48
Hm[arnc] 46
Bale 24
ZergMaN 19
sorry 18
Dota 2
NeuroSwarm179
League of Legends
JimRising 690
Super Smash Bros
Mew2King113
Other Games
summit1g7929
WinterStarcraft491
ArmadaUGS69
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick779
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream188
[ Show 10 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• lizZardDota2332
League of Legends
• Lourlo1562
Upcoming Events
Sparkling Tuna Cup
1h 59m
INu's Battles
3h 59m
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
Shopify Rebellion Sundays
6h 59m
MilkiCow vs TBD
Clem vs TBD
BSL Open Qualifier
10h 59m
BSL Open Qualifier
10h 59m
Replay Cast
14h 59m
Afreeca Starleague
1d 1h
Rush vs Light
WardiTV Weekly
1d 2h
Monday Night Weeklies
1d 7h
Replay Cast
1d 14h
[ Show More ]
Afreeca Starleague
2 days
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
2 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
2 days
The PondCast
4 days
INu's Battles
4 days
Replay Cast
5 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
Copium Cup
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Disclosure: This page contains affiliate marketing links that support TLnet.

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.