• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 02:53
CEST 08:53
KST 15:53
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon106
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double Recent Patches and the Future Stellar Fest 1 Replay Pack Balance hotfix patch 5.0.16b (July 16)
Tourneys
2026 GSTL Grand Finals ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament Master Swan Open (Global Bronze-Master 2) Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20)
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
a Announcement on the JEDI Ringing [ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach Bot on ladder BW General Discussion PLAYzone Challenge - open offline tour in Prague
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Total Annihilation Zero Nintendo Switch Thread EVE Corporation
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread All you football fans (soccer)!
Fan Clubs
MarineLorD Fan Club The Creator Fan Club The ShoWTimE Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
Violent-Cooperative Play and…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8604 users

SMAC (Alpha Centauri) exhibition game - Page 2

Forum Index > General Games
Post a Reply
Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All
Alethios
Profile Blog Joined December 2007
New Zealand2765 Posts
June 15 2011 23:05 GMT
#21
Great thread man. I ended up digging out my old disks and playing a hundred turns or so.

Looking forward to your next post.
When you arise in the morning, think of what a precious privilege it is to be alive - to breathe, to think, to enjoy, to love.
KaiserReinhard
Profile Blog Joined October 2008
United States554 Posts
June 16 2011 02:29 GMT
#22
I approve of this, actually started playing this again like a week ago, it's funny to see a sudden resurgence in popularity of this game on TL.

Currently in the middle of a game myself where I control half the world (as University) on a large map and have Lal, Yang, and Miriam as my minions after my mighty armies conquered them. Santiago is confined via my naval blockade to a small island, so isn't a threat, but Diedre, fearing my rise to power, has just declared war on me. I've given my minions all my tech so hopefully they can keep her distracted while I get in position to destroy her.

It's really amazing the different scenarios and stories that play out when you play these civ games.
twitch.tv/imkirok
6xFPCs
Profile Joined April 2009
United States412 Posts
June 16 2011 04:16 GMT
#23
Short update tonight, I got home late and plan on heading to the gym in a little bit. Yes, NaDa is an inspiration to us Asian gamers.

MY2150

Remember when I said something almost-weird about 25 turns before Miriam isn't easily rollable? Well, turns out she has plasma armor. She went from 1 def to 3 def! Or rather, she will once she can prototype one, and notice how my rover is already at the front door. It's business time--and I made sure to wear my business socks.

[image loading]
[image loading]
...I know.

MY2151

The assault begins! The particle impactors sing out over the arid plains, and vendetta is declared!

[image loading]

We take three Believer cities immediately, including the capital. The remaining two were where the western rovers are (the top base having just been established). Miriam pleads for a truce, even offering 3 def tech (plasma steel), but we are not satisfied. WIth New Jerusalem already defended by a 2 def synthmetal garrison, there is no hope for The Lord's Gift. The University will settle for no less than the Uranium Flats, and the Believers have yet to prototype a plasma garrison. They will not have the time. They will capitulate, and become our pet faction. This is inevitable.

MY2152

[image loading]
Do you hear that, Miriam? That is the sound of your doom, blazing across the hills.

MY2153

[image loading]

Three mind worm attacks from the east, out of nowhere! How odd, but I doubt it's anything significant, as it's too early for environmental damage and a planet response.

[image loading]

Our scout foil out on the western ocean also triggered some mind worms from a goodie pod, but it survived thanks to its trance upgrade (+50% vs psi attacks, e.g. mind worms). It did net us a free rec commons at Monitoring Station from another pod, so it's paid for itself.

[image loading]

Oh and the assault continues. The Believers have been pushed out of the uranium flats, and they still don't have plasma armor, but they're getting close.

MY2156

[image loading]

Victory! Miriam submits when Throne of God falls. I didn't even need that last round of rovers, but they probably helped convince her to give up. We accept her surrender, taking all her technology (just the one 3 def tech) and all her energy credits (14, bleh). But now, we have a nice situation where one of the best military factions is bound to our service. Maybe later we'll give her some attack techs and set her loose, since she gets a +25% boost when attacking.

I peruse our captured bases, and it turns out the command centers (+2 morale to ground units built in that city) survived in New Jerusalem and Throne of God. I will begin making probe teams from those bases once the captured base unhappiness goes away.

A quick check for our next victims. Santiago has managed to get gatling lasers (5 atk); Gaians have highest wealth after our rover-buying spree. Let's see what a little intimidation can do...

[image loading]

Or Santiago can offer me 5 atk for a nice price. Sure.

[image loading]

Oh hey Deirdre. Yes, I'd like that money now. Oh good, you DO remember that loan I gave you.

The others are less eventful. Morgan won't budge when I demand his latest base. We'll take it later anyway. Lal gives up a measly 25. He'd better watch out. Well, watch out for me as well, Hive forces are already at 4 atk and their bases aren't far away. So, you know, he's probably already watching out. For the Hive? Yeah.

Status after my intimidation checks?
[image loading]
athief
Profile Joined November 2010
United States85 Posts
June 16 2011 04:32 GMT
#24
Always a good status. Officially reinstalling now, so when I get thrashed in BW I can go to something turn-based.

Great thread, thanks.
"No man yields who flies on my ship" Have [i]you[/i] scanned the island?
ccou
Profile Joined December 2008
United States681 Posts
June 16 2011 04:56 GMT
#25
Mind worms, mind worms, mind worms, "OMG the sun is coming through the windows... I better get ready for classes"
Wake up Mr. B!
Manit0u
Profile Blog Joined August 2004
Poland17845 Posts
June 16 2011 14:48 GMT
#26
Ahh, another title I need to re-install. As much as I loved Civilization series the politics, socio-economical factors, research, unit upgrades, terraforming and basically everything except graphics is better in SMAC.
Time is precious. Waste it wisely.
Excalibur_Z
Profile Joined October 2002
United States12256 Posts
June 16 2011 19:50 GMT
#27
Don't forget to update your OP with new links every time you update! It's a lot easier than scrolling through long pages.
Moderator
michaelthe
Profile Joined February 2010
United States359 Posts
June 16 2011 19:59 GMT
#28
/follow
/subscribe
/check back now and then for updates


I liked this game better than Civ 4/5 for some reason, I think making custom units appealed to me a lot.

Good writeups and Screenshots, Ill defiantly be looking for more!
Wesso
Profile Joined August 2010
Netherlands1245 Posts
June 16 2011 20:19 GMT
#29
Great thread! the politics in this game were great and reading about you playing makes me realize how much I sucked when I used to play this
Jyvblamo
Profile Blog Joined June 2006
Canada13788 Posts
June 16 2011 20:34 GMT
#30
This is awesome, never let SMAC die!
Elektrobear
Profile Blog Joined July 2010
108 Posts
June 16 2011 23:53 GMT
#31
Play more, I'm addicted to your posts. It's either that or actually start up the game and try and learn it myself!
6xFPCs
Profile Joined April 2009
United States412 Posts
June 17 2011 14:11 GMT
#32
Even shorter update. Very sorry, been busy with work, and I'm up early for work as well. I just didn't want to leave you guys with nothing for your Friday workdays.

Oh and a little extra, hopefully save files work between mac and pc... Try your hand at smashing the Believers! This file has the first few rovers out, but out of position (i.e. you can't just steal my special tactics).
University, MY 2146 (before believer war)
[url blocked]

MY2157

Three bases riot! The sudden influx of bases pushed our inefficiency-unhappiness pretty far, it seems. I move the sliders to 40-10-50 (40% energy goes to econ, 10% to psych/happiness, 50% to research).

We get the knowledge tech, I immediately switch social values to Knowledge.

[image loading]

MY2158

Hive has moved into #1 military. Not surprising, he naturally has the ability to support a large military, and he has 4 attack units as well. We may have to deal with him sooner rather than later, as Lal seems to be faltering. A quick look over their bases shows me that Lal actually has several probe teams, plus perimeter defenses at his critical bases. Maybe he is doing alright, I think to myself. Then I see that the only unit he has sitting in his capital is a scout patrol.
[image loading]

MY2159

[image loading]

We've found the New Sargasso Sea, a fungus-infested area of water into which a large number of goodie pods have drifted. Hopefully our trance sea foil will make it past this isle of the deep (sea-based mind worm) to grab a few.

[image loading]

Several factions are starting secret projects ("wonders", for the civ fans). Each one of those is pretty much the best one for the faction building it, except perhaps Morgan's choice of the Weather Paradigm. Hive with Command Nexus (free command center at each base) is a serious military force, though, and Gaians with HGP (+1 talent/happy citizen each base) can make for some scary expansion.


JohannesH
Profile Joined September 2009
Finland1364 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-06-17 14:44:10
June 17 2011 14:44 GMT
#33
For anyone starting to play this now, I recommend getting this AI patch:


http://apolyton.net/showthread.php/195007-SMAC-444-(AI-experiment)
If you have to ask, you don't know.
kongor
Profile Joined February 2011
Canada38 Posts
June 17 2011 15:05 GMT
#34
Another "I like this" post =)

I played this way back when, can't remember exactly. I see now that I played like a total noob: you've got so many tactics/strategies, oh my word! I remember now that I treated this game like a sci-fi SimCity, playing the Peacekeepers and terraforming the world. Fun =)

Great write-up and pictures 6xFPCs, keep it up as well as you can if you're still enjoying it, cause I sure am =)
6xFPCs
Profile Joined April 2009
United States412 Posts
June 18 2011 02:11 GMT
#35
Hey guys, first off, thanks for all your support. I highly recommend that you guys start up your own games; if you need help or tips, feel free to post here or in the Alpha Centauri thread, or even PM me. If you state your faction and give a quick description of terrain and AIs around you, and I can point you in the right direction.

Anyway, I played through another 20 turns (2159-2179). I recorded it this time, to see if things would go faster, and am currently splitting it into smaller files for youtube upload (four parts). Why? I want to speed up how fast this thread can progress, otherwise it'll be a month before this one game finishes, so I wanted to see if it would be faster if I just talk my way through it in a video.

Well, it turns out I am terrible at multitasking. Even as a reportedly intelligent being, it was difficult to simultaneously think and talk--who knew? I'm sure I will get better as time goes on, but on the post with the video (soon to come, laptop is slow at splitting video), I will put up a poll so you can tell me which you prefer, video or narrated screencap (i.e. what I've been doing).

I am leaning towards screencaps right now because I can take my time writing things and make sure what I say is actually intelligible. Plus, it'll be faster for you guys to read through, as I can summarize and skip and add info as needed. But since I didn't screencap as I took video this time, you'll have to deal with it this once. Everything is worth a try, even Transcendence victory as Believers.

tl;dr I will have youtube videos up for MY2159-MY2179 soon (not to be confused with Blizz' "Soon").

p.s. Gaians finished a secret project! Hive is stomping through Lal, and his army is growing! Two factions are down to just one city! These are two decades you CAN'T AFFORD TO MISS!!
[image loading]
Dun dun... dun.

p.p.s gosh youtube is slow.
6xFPCs
Profile Joined April 2009
United States412 Posts
June 18 2011 02:50 GMT
#36
Poll: Do you prefer video or screencaps for SMAC game coverage?

I prefer screencaps, I may or may not read this thread at work. (20)
 
69%

I prefer video, this isn't the 1998 Battle Report on Zileas' victory over Straus. (6)
 
21%

I don't care, I'm pretty sure we'll smash face and eat cake either way. (3)
 
10%

29 total votes

Your vote: Do you prefer video or screencaps for SMAC game coverage?

(Vote): I prefer video, this isn't the 1998 Battle Report on Zileas' victory over Straus.
(Vote): I prefer screencaps, I may or may not read this thread at work.
(Vote): I don't care, I'm pretty sure we'll smash face and eat cake either way.




Part 1 of 4:

Part 2 of 4:

Part 3 of 4:

Part 4 of 4:


Excalibur_Z
Profile Joined October 2002
United States12256 Posts
June 18 2011 06:00 GMT
#37
Those videos were cool but they were only cool because I actually had the time to sit through them haha. Pretty insightful but I think screenshots and text is still preferable. That's just me though.
Moderator
Alethios
Profile Blog Joined December 2007
New Zealand2765 Posts
June 18 2011 08:34 GMT
#38
Great stuff as per usual. The videos were enjoyable, but I think I like the write ups a bit better, as they allow me to read casually while working on other things. Either way, I appreciate the effort you're putting into this. Keep up the good work!
When you arise in the morning, think of what a precious privilege it is to be alive - to breathe, to think, to enjoy, to love.
Manit0u
Profile Blog Joined August 2004
Poland17845 Posts
June 18 2011 08:51 GMT
#39
Great job man. But I have to agree with Excalibur and Alethios here, screencaps are better. Mostly because it's faster and you only post the highlights and key moments, skipping all the tedious stuff.
Time is precious. Waste it wisely.
Lunaticman
Profile Joined November 2007
Sweden1097 Posts
June 18 2011 10:16 GMT
#40
Can you somehow play this game in windows mode?
Failure is not an option
Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 3h 8m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
SortOf 139
StarCraft: Brood War
HiyA 347
Mong 86
NotJumperer 42
Shine 41
Bale 31
Noble 11
Icarus 9
Light 0
Dota 2
NeuroSwarm198
League of Legends
JimRising 627
Counter-Strike
Coldzera 831
Heroes of the Storm
WinterStarcraft755
Other Games
summit1g8576
ceh9318
C9.Mang0270
PiGStarcraft231
Happy225
Livibee92
ArmadaUGS41
RuFF_SC227
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick551
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream486
[ Show 13 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• intothetv
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• Pr0nogo 4
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• lizZardDota2360
League of Legends
• Rush1427
• Lourlo1416
• Stunt443
Upcoming Events
Sparkling Tuna Cup
3h 8m
Afreeca Starleague
3h 8m
Leta vs Soulkey
PiGosaur Cup
17h 8m
Kung Fu Cup
1d 4h
The PondCast
2 days
Replay Cast
2 days
CranKy Ducklings
4 days
Online Event
4 days
FEL
4 days
AI Arena Tournament
4 days
[ Show More ]
BSL: Ladder Tournament
4 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
WardiTV Weekly
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-27
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual
Stake Ranked Episode 3

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.