• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 09:19
CEST 15:19
KST 22:19
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror6[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
Rollback Netcode in Brood War625.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 202621Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)78
StarCraft 2
General
5.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 2026 [Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)
Tourneys
RSL 2026 Offline Finals LCQ Sign-Ups $3,500 WardiTV Not-Summer Championship ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) ISSL (IntoTheTV x SOOP SC2 League): Premier
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
ChatGPT cheats at StarSkirmish SCAI tournament BW General Discussion Rollback Netcode in Brood War TL Sidebar missing streams [ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror
Tourneys
[Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Semifinal A [ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Simple Questions, Simple Answers Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do?
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25!
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
[Manga] One Piece Movie Discussion! Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread TeamLiquid Health and Fitness Initiative For 2023 MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 9000 users

What Are You Reading 2016 - Page 9

Forum Index > Media & Entertainment
Post a Reply
Prev 1 7 8 9 10 11 18 Next All
corumjhaelen
Profile Blog Joined October 2009
France6884 Posts
June 02 2016 14:51 GMT
#161
Njall's saga will probably have been the best book I've read this year. I quite enjoyed Nostromo and Jude the obscure, been somewhat perplexed by Dante's Inferno, and read a random French book which has apparently a cult following ; Maurice Pons' Les Saisons. I'm reading Snorri Sturluson's Edda, which is pretty cool.
Most importantly though, I'm reading the Bible, not in its entirety, but I guess its most well-known parts the Gospels, the Acts which were great, the Apocalypse, and most "historic" and poetic books of the Old Testament. Pretty cool stuff, and at the same time I can, thanks to the Collège de France, listen Thomas Römer explain why I should care about Terah's age (205 or 145 ?), the reasons why the same story is told three times, the possible meanings of those boring genealogies, or why Jerusalem is never mentionned in the first five books. Which is plain awesome.
‎numquam se plus agere quam nihil cum ageret, numquam minus solum esse quam cum solus esset
farvacola
Profile Blog Joined January 2011
United States18869 Posts
June 02 2016 14:52 GMT
#162
Oooh yeah, we'll have to talk about that sometime, I love me some good biblical exegesis :D
"when the Dead Kennedys found out they had skinhead fans, they literally wrote a song titled 'Nazi Punks Fuck Off'"
corumjhaelen
Profile Blog Joined October 2009
France6884 Posts
June 02 2016 14:56 GMT
#163
I have something like 24h of podcast just on Abraham's story. I cant really believe I find it that fascinating !
‎numquam se plus agere quam nihil cum ageret, numquam minus solum esse quam cum solus esset
SK.Testie
Profile Blog Joined January 2007
Canada11084 Posts
June 02 2016 15:15 GMT
#164
[image loading]

Absolutely loved the Malazan books. And this one is starting out quite strong so far. Brilliant writer.

[image loading]


Paints South Africa as arguably a prettier place under Apartheid than "free".
Social Justice is a fools errand. May all the adherents at its church be thwarted. Of all the religions I have come across, it is by far the most detestable.
zulu_nation8
Profile Blog Joined May 2005
China26351 Posts
June 10 2016 01:56 GMT
#165
Picked up Gertrude Stein's Tender Buttons on the recommendation of my MFA friend who writes sci-fi/cyberpunk, after reading the first few pages I'm thoroughly confused. Also got Bachelard's Psychoanalysis of Fire.
farvacola
Profile Blog Joined January 2011
United States18869 Posts
June 10 2016 02:02 GMT
#166
Just remember that sugar is not a vegetable
"when the Dead Kennedys found out they had skinhead fans, they literally wrote a song titled 'Nazi Punks Fuck Off'"
zulu_nation8
Profile Blog Joined May 2005
China26351 Posts
Last Edited: 2016-06-10 02:52:01
June 10 2016 02:51 GMT
#167
sounds...perverse. Any other tips? I'm really confused atm. I just know it's cubism. My friend literally told me he wants to write like she does in the book.
farvacola
Profile Blog Joined January 2011
United States18869 Posts
Last Edited: 2016-06-10 03:05:33
June 10 2016 03:05 GMT
#168
Hmm, I'd say it'd be helpful to focus on the word sounds as you read the lines aloud. It may be "cubist" in the sense that it relies on obtuse lexical arrangements that tend to coalesce into the shape of images taken from "real life," but the poetry of authors like Gertrude Stein or Ezra Pound "makes the most sense" when I read it as the work of lyricists looking to make unusual forms out of phonetic arrangements in the spirit of the early 20th century.
"when the Dead Kennedys found out they had skinhead fans, they literally wrote a song titled 'Nazi Punks Fuck Off'"
Surth
Profile Blog Joined May 2011
Germany456 Posts
June 10 2016 08:42 GMT
#169
Gertrude Stein is dumb, all the modernist poets are dumb. Fuck 'em!

Reading My Ántonia for uni right now, which is okayish. I really wish I felt like I had the time to read Bolanos Savage Detectives by now :X
i believe your actions dishonour Starcraft 2 LotV cybersport!
Flicky
Profile Blog Joined December 2008
England2675 Posts
June 10 2016 08:44 GMT
#170
Read:

The Innocent Killer by Michael Griesbach - Interesting story but the hook at the end of the blurb is pure clickbait (It describes Stephen Avery's wrongful conviction, then second conviction and ends with an "Or did he?" - regarding the second conviction. This "Or Did He?" is never even alluded to at the end of the book.)

Paradise Lost/Regained by Milton - I enjoyed it. I've not read an English poem/story that approaches bible stories this way and I enjoyed it. Easy enough to read and with some very interesting ideas and some pretty cool parts.

The Audacity of Hops by Tom Acitelli - A history of the growth of craft beer in America from it's origins in 1965 to about 2012. Unfortunately it misses the massive growth experienced in the last four years but the key information otherwise is all there. Gets a bit unfocused in the middle but works out.
Liquipedia"I was seriously looking for a black guy" - MrHoon
Acrofales
Profile Joined August 2010
Spain18464 Posts
June 12 2016 11:20 GMT
#171
On June 01 2016 08:48 Manit0u wrote:
[image loading]

Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury (60th anniversary edition)

Going to re-read this classic.

Haha. Me too.
corumjhaelen
Profile Blog Joined October 2009
France6884 Posts
June 12 2016 12:15 GMT
#172
So is it still as boring as I remember ?
Starting :
[image loading]
Journey to the West (Wu Cheng'En ?)
Hope it's half as good as Water Margin !
‎numquam se plus agere quam nihil cum ageret, numquam minus solum esse quam cum solus esset
KelsierSC
Profile Blog Joined March 2013
United Kingdom10443 Posts
Last Edited: 2016-06-17 20:28:29
June 17 2016 20:28 GMT
#173
[image loading]

some girl I like mentioned this book so I started reading it, pretty awesome.
Zerg for Life
zulu_nation8
Profile Blog Joined May 2005
China26351 Posts
June 19 2016 22:46 GMT
#174
Which recent William Gibson novel would you guys recommend?
farvacola
Profile Blog Joined January 2011
United States18869 Posts
June 19 2016 22:57 GMT
#175
I enjoyed Pattern Recognition a fair bit, but it's already a bit out dated I feel.
"when the Dead Kennedys found out they had skinhead fans, they literally wrote a song titled 'Nazi Punks Fuck Off'"
zulu_nation8
Profile Blog Joined May 2005
China26351 Posts
June 19 2016 23:00 GMT
#176
Thanks, I read some reviews for The Peripheral and got the impression it was so-so.
Carnivorous Sheep
Profile Blog Joined November 2008
Baa?21248 Posts
June 19 2016 23:19 GMT
#177
On June 20 2016 07:57 farvacola wrote:
I enjoyed Pattern Recognition a fair bit, but it's already a bit out dated I feel.


gibson doesnt seem to age well ~_~

not as prescient or as insightful as he'd like to be, perhaps? ~~~
TranslatorBaa!
farvacola
Profile Blog Joined January 2011
United States18869 Posts
June 19 2016 23:26 GMT
#178
Yeah, his stories have this dirty 80s sci-fi feel that they just can't seem to shake.
"when the Dead Kennedys found out they had skinhead fans, they literally wrote a song titled 'Nazi Punks Fuck Off'"
Nyxisto
Profile Joined August 2010
Germany6287 Posts
Last Edited: 2016-06-19 23:35:54
June 19 2016 23:34 GMT
#179
I only read Gibson two years ago or so for the first time and while the ideas are of course not exactly new I like the dense and "information overload" writing style a lot because it actually fits the stories a lot better. Still enjoyed it a lot. For some reason I just can't work myself through these thousand page long tomes any more.
{CC}StealthBlue
Profile Blog Joined January 2003
United States41117 Posts
June 20 2016 02:31 GMT
#180
[image loading]
"Smokey, this is not 'Nam, this is bowling. There are rules."
Prev 1 7 8 9 10 11 18 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 1h 41m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
mouzHeroMarine 631
Railgan 60
MindelVK 31
Codebar 2
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 68754
Calm 11100
Bisu 2391
FanTaSy 1167
Stork 743
soO 437
Rush 397
firebathero 211
Snow 176
Last 152
[ Show more ]
Sharp 109
Mind 96
Light 95
hero 80
Pusan 71
Sea.KH 55
Free 48
ToSsGirL 44
Trap 41
Sexy 35
Mong 32
Hm[arnc] 32
Bale 29
Aegong 20
yabsab 16
HiyA 15
zelot 14
Noble 11
Sacsri 10
Rock 9
Shine 9
IntoTheRainbow 7
Terrorterran 7
scan(afreeca) 6
Icarus 4
Dota 2
Gorgc6811
Dendi1135
Counter-Strike
fl0m3195
byalli816
Super Smash Bros
Mew2King75
Other Games
gofns39535
singsing2474
B2W.Neo575
Liquid`RaSZi555
Pyrionflax243
Beastyqt239
Happy182
Hui .122
Mlord57
Trikslyr48
Chillindude17
Khaldor15
Organizations
Other Games
BasetradeTV213
[ Show 15 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• 3DClanTV 92
• Response 10
• Dystopia_ 6
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• WagamamaTV515
League of Legends
• Jankos3031
• Nemesis3009
Counter-Strike
• C_a_k_e 1419
Upcoming Events
Patches Events
1h 41m
BSL Open Qualifier
5h 41m
BSL Open Qualifier
5h 41m
OSC
9h 41m
Replay Cast
9h 41m
OSC
22h 41m
WardiTV Weekly
1d 21h
PiGosaur Cup
2 days
Kung Fu Cup
2 days
The PondCast
3 days
[ Show More ]
Online Event
4 days
Korean StarCraft League
5 days
Afreeca Starleague
5 days
Rush vs Soulkey
CranKy Ducklings
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
HCC Season 3
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.