• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 20:00
CEST 02:00
KST 09:00
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup3StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)62Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Awesome/Confusing SC2 BM SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup [Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ]
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
JaeDong's ASL S22 Ro. 8 Review Bot on ladder Data analysis on 8 million games BW General Discussion Fantasy returning?
Tourneys
[Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 9795 users

Use of the clock

Forum Index > Brood War Strategy
Post a Reply
1 2 Next All
rararara
Profile Joined March 2021
115 Posts
January 02 2022 05:08 GMT
#1
Do you use the clock?

I used to play when there was no clock, so I keep forgetting.. how much is it part of your game?

any significant times worth mentioning?

around 6:30 I should be ready for Zealot-Push, but I always look when it's too late :D
Return
Profile Joined June 2005
Ivory Coast859 Posts
January 02 2022 22:39 GMT
#2
Yes I use the clock a ton. For my own in regards to how on point I am in my build(gas timings etc) and I have some scout timings to help with reading opponents build(archives timing, marine/medic count at 4:45) and some help in like counting with upgrades
Diiiscoo-oh, thats where the happy people go!
MeSaber
Profile Joined December 2009
Sweden1235 Posts
January 03 2022 00:05 GMT
#3
No APM or Clock use here. I like the extra vision without it.
-.-
rararara
Profile Joined March 2021
115 Posts
January 03 2022 14:03 GMT
#4
On January 03 2022 07:39 Return wrote:
Yes I use the clock a ton. For my own in regards to how on point I am in my build(gas timings etc) and I have some scout timings to help with reading opponents build(archives timing, marine/medic count at 4:45) and some help in like counting with upgrades


Sounds interesting. Can you specify w the builds?

what do you mean with upgrades?
ajmbek
Profile Joined November 2008
Italy460 Posts
January 03 2022 16:19 GMT
#5
I do have clock on, but i mostrly do not look at it. I have some king of good sens of timings
Sic iter ad astra
Return
Profile Joined June 2005
Ivory Coast859 Posts
Last Edited: 2022-01-03 19:54:40
January 03 2022 19:52 GMT
#6
On January 03 2022 23:03 rararara wrote:
Show nested quote +
On January 03 2022 07:39 Return wrote:
Yes I use the clock a ton. For my own in regards to how on point I am in my build(gas timings etc) and I have some scout timings to help with reading opponents build(archives timing, marine/medic count at 4:45) and some help in like counting with upgrades


Sounds interesting. Can you specify w the builds?

what do you mean with upgrades?


If I want to have my spire done so I can get scourge to deal with initial corsair on zvp, I need to make gas at a particular time to be able to get lair and spire up in right time. I'm no super gosu or anything but being like 5 seconds off on the gas timing can be the difference between cleanly picking off the first corsair or losing 2-3 overlords and have my whole build thrown off and as a consequence lose the game to his zealot timing. As zerg also particular lair timings will grant me an extra larva so I'll probably want to hit those timings too. And if say no corsair show up at like 6:00 then I can deduce if I haven't seen it before that he's potentially skipping stargate to have a stronger zealot timing. Same for depending on when his forge starts spinning will tell me if he is doing other stuff needing gas before +1 or if he is doing a like 6:30 timing or if he is going for something else, like maybe corsair/dt or a power goon build. Just some loose examples

Like say I want to have +2 done at 12:00 it means I'll have to have started +1 at ~6:00 else I'll have to find some way to win time so a potential big engage doesn't happen right before my +2 power spike. Etc etc
Diiiscoo-oh, thats where the happy people go!
SirGlinG
Profile Blog Joined January 2008
Sweden933 Posts
January 03 2022 20:51 GMT
#7
On January 03 2022 07:39 Return wrote:
Yes I use the clock a ton. For my own in regards to how on point I am in my build(gas timings etc) and I have some scout timings to help with reading opponents build(archives timing, marine/medic count at 4:45) and some help in like counting with upgrades


I use it to be ready Returns mutas could come.
Not my chair. Not my problem. That's what I say
rararara
Profile Joined March 2021
115 Posts
Last Edited: 2022-01-04 16:23:31
January 04 2022 15:25 GMT
#8
On January 03 2022 07:39 Return wrote:

If I want to have my spire done so I can get scourge to deal with initial corsair on zvp, I need to make gas at a particular time to be able to get lair and spire up in right time. I'm no super gosu or anything but being like 5 seconds off on the gas timing can be the difference between cleanly picking off the first corsair or losing 2-3 overlords and have my whole build thrown off and as a consequence lose the game to his zealot timing. As zerg also particular lair timings will grant me an extra larva so I'll probably want to hit those timings too. And if say no corsair show up at like 6:00 then I can deduce if I haven't seen it before that he's potentially skipping stargate to have a stronger zealot timing. Same for depending on when his forge starts spinning will tell me if he is doing other stuff needing gas before +1 or if he is doing a like 6:30 timing or if he is going for something else, like maybe corsair/dt or a power goon build. Just some loose examples

Like say I want to have +2 done at 12:00 it means I'll have to have started +1 at ~6:00 else I'll have to find some way to win time so a potential big engage doesn't happen right before my +2 power spike. Etc etc


Thanks man, that sounds like a lot of thinking during the game.
Did you have to practice this to watch and get the timings right?

I figured the clock adds a whole new level to scouting, but this seems almost off the charts for a casual gamer like me.
What's your MMR if I may ask?
WGT-Baal
Profile Blog Joined June 2008
France3561 Posts
Last Edited: 2022-01-04 16:00:36
January 04 2022 15:54 GMT
#9
On January 05 2022 00:25 rararara wrote:
Show nested quote +
On January 03 2022 07:39 Return wrote:

If I want to have my spire done so I can get scourge to deal with initial corsair on zvp, I need to make gas at a particular time to be able to get lair and spire up in right time. I'm no super gosu or anything but being like 5 seconds off on the gas timing can be the difference between cleanly picking off the first corsair or losing 2-3 overlords and have my whole build thrown off and as a consequence lose the game to his zealot timing. As zerg also particular lair timings will grant me an extra larva so I'll probably want to hit those timings too. And if say no corsair show up at like 6:00 then I can deduce if I haven't seen it before that he's potentially skipping stargate to have a stronger zealot timing. Same for depending on when his forge starts spinning will tell me if he is doing other stuff needing gas before +1 or if he is doing a like 6:30 timing or if he is going for something else, like maybe corsair/dt or a power goon build. Just some loose examples

Like say I want to have +2 done at 12:00 it means I'll have to have started +1 at ~6:00 else I'll have to find some way to win time so a potential big engage doesn't happen right before my +2 power spike. Etc etc


Thanks man, that sounds like a lot of thinking during the game.
Did you have to practice this to watch and get the timings right?

I figured the clock adds a whole new level to scouting, but this seems almost off the charts for a casual gamer like me.
What's your MMR if you may ask?


Return is about 1800, but you can use the clock at all levels, it s more a matter of getting used to it.

for example if you go for a timing build it s useful in practice (and then in that game) to mentally judge if you re on the right track. For example a 3hh hits at 5:40 or 6 (ish, give or take, i do have the exact timing somewhere though), a gas at 2:05 is a 2 hatch build, for ZvP if you don't see a corsair early (around 6th min) it s likely gateway only etc. Can be useful when scouting too. Obviously it can also be your opponent being bad, so it s not always a useful scouting tool, i use it more for my own timings than for scouting purposes. For example assuming PvT, T not dealing critical damage (say you defend a 2 fac or smthg) and you not losing too many units, you d expect to max out between 12 and 12:30.

Personally I have a list of timings on a few notepads that I pull when practicing, but it s not down to the second, more like an idea of where things should be. For instance if you tvz you want to time your turrets right for mutas, so it helps if you know the general muta timing for 2h and 3h, this kind of stuff. The more the game progresses the less important this becomes though, as games will diverge from set plans/builds by then.
Horang2 fan
Return
Profile Joined June 2005
Ivory Coast859 Posts
January 04 2022 23:20 GMT
#10
On January 05 2022 00:25 rararara wrote:
Show nested quote +
On January 03 2022 07:39 Return wrote:

If I want to have my spire done so I can get scourge to deal with initial corsair on zvp, I need to make gas at a particular time to be able to get lair and spire up in right time. I'm no super gosu or anything but being like 5 seconds off on the gas timing can be the difference between cleanly picking off the first corsair or losing 2-3 overlords and have my whole build thrown off and as a consequence lose the game to his zealot timing. As zerg also particular lair timings will grant me an extra larva so I'll probably want to hit those timings too. And if say no corsair show up at like 6:00 then I can deduce if I haven't seen it before that he's potentially skipping stargate to have a stronger zealot timing. Same for depending on when his forge starts spinning will tell me if he is doing other stuff needing gas before +1 or if he is doing a like 6:30 timing or if he is going for something else, like maybe corsair/dt or a power goon build. Just some loose examples

Like say I want to have +2 done at 12:00 it means I'll have to have started +1 at ~6:00 else I'll have to find some way to win time so a potential big engage doesn't happen right before my +2 power spike. Etc etc


Thanks man, that sounds like a lot of thinking during the game.
Did you have to practice this to watch and get the timings right?

I figured the clock adds a whole new level to scouting, but this seems almost off the charts for a casual gamer like me.
What's your MMR if I may ask?


As baal says, around 1800ish. And it's not like a lot of conscious thought it's more of a habit now, I kinda just tried to boil down a lot of it into words. I mostly consciously use the clock when it comes to reading the opponent in game, like particular scouting timings and use the clock for my own play as I review my replays and to some extent to kinda clock how on point I'm in my build, some minor stuff like when to send drone and gas timings in regards to lair for extra larva and how it matches with expected timings from opponent. But it's not like I'll leave the game if my lair starts at 3:04 instead of 3:02 or whatever... If its not like single player practice and I'm trying to perfectly work through a timing

Can play perfectly fine not ever using the clock even at very high levels I'm sure, I'm just a nerd
Diiiscoo-oh, thats where the happy people go!
rararara
Profile Joined March 2021
115 Posts
Last Edited: 2022-01-05 00:37:24
January 05 2022 00:35 GMT
#11
I think if I would use the clock, I would use it like you.. I got the hang of it because Scan is talking about it in every cast and seems like it's an important part of his game and other super high-level players.

It seems like a new analytical aspect to the game, compared to 15-20 years ago.
Definitely adds more of a poker-element with more definite intel.

If there's any articles, videos on this (JinJin? ), please feel free to share everyone, thanks!
zimp
Profile Blog Joined November 2008
Hungary959 Posts
Last Edited: 2022-01-05 15:13:33
January 05 2022 15:12 GMT
#12
of course the clock is super useful. some launchers had a built in clock, which gave an unfair advantage to those players using it, that is why it made sense to include it in the game.

some basic things to remember as terran is
tvz:
-2hatch muta can come at 6 min.
-3h muta at 7 min.
-in order to have 3tanks and a vessel by 10 min you need to start your fact at 7 minutes and produce constantly.

tvp:
-no unit dt can come as early as 5:xx, with some units your turret should be up by 6 min.
-reaver drop even after nexus first can come by 7 min.
-artosis could contribute cause he knows these quite well ..

this is pretty handy:
https://tl.net/forum/bw-strategy/84768-list-of-build-times-on-fastest-speed
agentzimp
TL+ Member
TelecoM
Profile Blog Joined January 2010
United States10864 Posts
January 05 2022 23:24 GMT
#13
I am curious from top level Protoss players, what timings your looking for in PvZ / PvT. I don't know the exact times but I know the relative times of Spire timing in my head, and 1-2 base pushes vs T, just not the exact times for the clock.
AKA: TelecoM[WHITE] Protoss fighting
ZakRoM
Profile Joined December 2018
Costa Rica54 Posts
January 10 2022 14:02 GMT
#14
I'm not a top level but for example PvZ the +1 attack + 7-9 zealot push with legs must be at around 7:30, I mean at 7:30 you should be going to Z base with that.

I know that by around 10-11 minute mark I should have more than 100 supply and it's a good time for a third expansion (if the game went normally by that time). Also lurkers will come normally between 10-12 minute mark, that helps me to know around what time to make the robotics.

PvT depending the opening and what Terran is doing but if I go standard I look for 3rd Nexus between 6:30-7:30, trying to have arbiter before 12m.

I've found the clock very useful, I've noticed I used it less in PvP, but I try to have my gate explosion in this match around the 8-9m mark and it has helped me a lot in the mid game.


TelecoM
Profile Blog Joined January 2010
United States10864 Posts
January 13 2022 19:40 GMT
#15
I'm curious if there is an earliest time for a hydra all in to hit in PvZ.
AKA: TelecoM[WHITE] Protoss fighting
davidsamuel5
Profile Joined October 2024
United States1 Post
October 05 2024 05:50 GMT
#16
--- Nuked ---
CHEONSOYUN
Profile Joined August 2017
622 Posts
October 06 2024 15:40 GMT
#17
knowing common timings is powerful in games where little to no significant unexpected disruption takes place since you’re able to consider possibilities precisely

but it’s also important to know / have a sense for relative timings when inevitably you are in games where the game state is uncertain (held rushes, significant trades/harassment, mistakes/mismanagement etc.)
JAEDONG...!!! EFFORT IS ANGRY. ZERG...?!
iopq
Profile Blog Joined March 2009
United States1182 Posts
October 08 2024 21:44 GMT
#18
On January 14 2022 04:40 TelecoM wrote:
I'm curious if there is an earliest time for a hydra all in to hit in PvZ.

5 minutes, but there's no speed, just some ranged hydras and speedlings

You can only guess it's coming because the speed is like a bit earlier and Zerg denies all vision earlier than usual and has enough lings to block zealots moving out
Piste
Profile Blog Joined July 2006
6183 Posts
October 09 2024 13:40 GMT
#19
I don't use it. I go by instinct and gut feeling like everyone used to before remastered.
Navane
Profile Blog Joined February 2007
Netherlands2762 Posts
October 10 2024 17:48 GMT
#20
Does lag slow down the game timer too? Is the timer always in sync with the game state?
1 2 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
The PiG Daily
08:00
Best Games of SC
BASILISK vs T1
Maru vs Clem
Serral vs herO
Clem vs SHIN
PiGStarcraft358
LiquipediaDiscussion
OSC
07:00
Masters Cup #151: Group B
davetesta18
Liquipedia
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
PiGStarcraft358
Nina 97
ViBE88
SpeCial 78
StarCraft: Brood War
White-Ra 155
Noble 77
Hyuk 60
NaDa 46
Bale 16
Dota 2
NeuroSwarm158
League of Legends
Doublelift3404
Counter-Strike
minikerr14
Super Smash Bros
hungrybox389
Heroes of the Storm
Grubby5086
Khaldor616
Other Games
summit1g7719
FrodaN1721
Coldzera 817
shahzam605
JimRising 485
C9.Mang0250
KnowMe191
ArmadaUGS63
Mew2King38
CosmosSc2 14
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick775
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream82
[ Show 12 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Berry_CruncH347
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• masondota21518
Other Games
• imaqtpie774
• Shiphtur152
Upcoming Events
CranKy Ducklings
10h
Online Event
11h
FEL
16h
AI Arena Tournament
17h
BSL: Ladder Tournament
19h
Sparkling Tuna Cup
1d 10h
INu's Battles
1d 12h
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
BSL Open Qualifier
1d 19h
BSL Open Qualifier
1d 19h
Replay Cast
2 days
[ Show More ]
Afreeca Starleague
2 days
Rush vs Light
WardiTV Weekly
2 days
Monday Night Weeklies
2 days
Afreeca Starleague
3 days
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
3 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
4 days
The PondCast
5 days
INu's Battles
5 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-10-01
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
Proleague 2026-10-02
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.