• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 16:35
CEST 22:35
KST 05:35
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)73Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2316
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Back to SC2 after 14 years - Protoss CTRL groups? October World Ranking: herO stays #1, ByuN returns
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ]
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
20-year-old Valorant player starting StarCraft Sagi.gg Launcher Released Fantasy returning? Bot on ladder [ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 2v2v2v2 Tournament
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Canadian Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 7464 users

Pride & Prejudice - Interview of IloveOov

Forum Index > BW General
Post a Reply
1 2 3 Next All
Emlary
Profile Blog Joined December 2002
China3334 Posts
Last Edited: 2005-03-20 21:44:19
March 20 2005 21:04 GMT
#1
taken by www.fighterforum.com in March 18th


Q: It's said that you did pretty well at high school?
A: Totally wrong. I did very poor in study in high school because I paid no attention on it. Well, I used to be one of the top 10 students in middle school. And forturnately I passed the exam and went to high school. My family scolded me as a fool, which drove me crazy then I started to play SC in 9th grade(last year of middle school). You know, my elder brother was an excellent student. But he always pretended he knew few things and he weren't that good to comfort me. I really appreciate all he had done for me.

Q: Did you come to know your GF when you were famous?
A: No, we met even before I became a progamer. That's my destiny maybe. Female fans could be divided into two types, 1)they are so crazy and try to get close to you. 2)they support you by standing silent somewhere. For me, I rarely see the 1st group due to BoxeR's protection. (laughs)

Q: You played for money at first?
A: Absolutely not. I was obsessed with SC in school days, I couldn't do anything except playing games. Even if I was not playing, all I thought was battles. At that time I intended to go to the army, but I perceived that I loved SC so much and I would played it after my military service. So why not sticking to it? I wanna be successful. Then I went to Seoul. It seems I've made it now. (laughs) It's in TG MSL that I got money from SC first time.
As I gain some money, I bought a house for my parents. Now it's time for me. However, I've no interest in cars. In my opinion, cars are unnecessary for progamers. We are very busy, no time for driving. In addition, we have our own driver. Probably I would purchase one after the military service.

Q: People talk about your parsimony.
A: Yes, I am a cheapskate. I don't buy my teammates a drink or something usually. There are only 3 times I paid the bill. The first time I treated them some bananas and milk; the next time we went to barbecue.(don't know how to express it in Korean style) After moving into the apartment of SKT T1, BoxeR often bought us some nice food, so the 3rd time I bought pizza to teammates. While, I've my plan to save money. That's because I think progaming isn't stable, I'm not sure what will go on in the future. And some progamers don't gain much, it's not polite to splurge lots of money in front of them. Whatever, wasting money is bad, I have to think more about my future.

Q: Some complain your victories are thanks to those lucky secret expansions, how do you think about that?
A: That's undeserved. I always think "the opponent would be unaware if I expand now" in my practice. It's all about timing. It's my strategy that I make a feint of defence, and expand at the very time that others think I won't. But recently other players did very well in scouting, therefore this strategy didn't work out. And the countermeasure is to pretend training units when rivals are scouting. He goes aways, then I expand.
There's only one exception, which the idea stroke on me, the IOPS group battle versus NaDa. Otherwise I well-prepared for the strategy. So it's not the victory by a fluke. I follow my sensing in games, "it's time to expand", so I did it.

Q: You often mention BoxeR in interviews, is that kind of tactics?
A: No. That's because I sincerely admire him. I learn a lot from him. All I can pay back to him is to get better achievement in tournaments. And I've no other chance to say thanks to him in public except interviews. It's true, BoxeR is my mentor. It's not about SC, he taught me many other things.

Q: IloveOov's leading era has come to an end?
A: To be frank, it's the first time I lost in the first round.(IOPS OSL) People thought it's forgivable(I guess due to the OSL champion curse -_-). I was feeling small, like dropping into OCL preliminary. Well with all of that passing away, I regain my energe and aim at the champ in the new season. Perhaps IOPS was an excuse for me to take a break, I didn't perform at my level.

Q: After losing to July, people said you were only good at TvP, isn't it?
A: July gave me a profound surprise at the time. I used to think that I could beat him in IOPS, but I lost all courage. I am an ordinary person, getting mad after loss. I can't accept any loss against any opponent. And I'm confident to conquer July now. My belief is there's no one I can't beat down.

Q: You often type out GG soon relatively, do you?
A: When I think I can't strike back, I just give up the battle. For this, I was reproved by BoxeR several times. He said I was weak-willed so that I didn't intend to strike back. Do you notice even one game doesn't work out for me, I don't type out GG very soon. (laughs)

Q: You seem slender in your suit, and your legs are fairly long.
A: (standing up)I've no idea, I don't really care about my figure. I often do some dumbbelling to keep fit, because my arms are weak after long time gaming.

Q: Are you hauguty?(not sure whether it's in derogatory meaning -_-)
A: Yes, on purpose, so does in interviews. E-sports is Mind-sports. Practice is important, while some factors outside the stage weigh much as well. As a progamer, I should be polite to media and fans, but I don't want to show the impression of weakness to people. I'm always confident of winning, so I express my confidence, which is helpful to the matches in my opinion. After EVER OSL, some said I became modest. Actually everything was fixed up at that time. Dad often suggests me learn from Reach's reaction in interviews(be modest?). Whereas, I don't think so. That's not my style. You see, Zeus is a good example. It's not about who is right or who is wrong. Just do it in my own way.

Q: You lose weight?
A: I was sad to see myself, a fat guy, in the TV.(laughs) Well I was not really fat? Then I determined to lose weight, the lowest record was 74kg which my teammates poke fun at me that I was too thin. Keeping under 80kg is acceptable for me. (weigh himself on the scale)Now it's 79kg.

Q: What's your goal in progaming?
A: I haven't thought about it. If have to, I would say I wanna buy the whole world. To earn enough money to buy the world, I must achieve a lot. I will work hard, so "a goal to win the champ" isn't enough.

Q: Your No.1 position in KeSPA will be replaced by July next month.
A: Yes, and Dad phones me every day when he knows the points in order to force me to work harder. However, I don't care that much because I've signed a new contract with SKT T1.(laughs) If I signed the contract after falling from No.1, my salary would have falling too!(laughs) I take the money so I will carry it out. I will do better.


second translated from Chinese version on www.playsc.com
No more SKT1, it's SKP2.
ihatett
Profile Joined January 2005
United States2289 Posts
Last Edited: 2005-03-20 21:16:44
March 20 2005 21:15 GMT
#2
Brilliant. Thanks for the interview!

IloveOov = legend

EDIT: I wish I had more to say, but I am actually stunned by his bad-assery.
I love Protoss because it is tough and straight. Protoss is the race for men.
Liquid`Jinro
Profile Blog Joined September 2002
Sweden33719 Posts
March 20 2005 21:25 GMT
#3
Great work
Moderatortell the guy that interplanatar interaction is pivotal to terrans variety of optionitudals in the pre-midgame preperatories as well as the protosstinal deterriggation of elite zergling strikes - Stimey n | Formerly FrozenArbiter
EAGER-beaver
Profile Joined March 2004
Canada2799 Posts
March 20 2005 21:33 GMT
#4
~oooh, another kick ass interview, thx!
Simon and Garfunkel rock my face off
ZorAptoR
Profile Blog Joined February 2004
Switzerland926 Posts
March 20 2005 21:37 GMT
#5
very nice iview, thx !!
in SOMA we TRUST
CTStalker
Profile Blog Joined November 2004
Canada9720 Posts
March 20 2005 21:42 GMT
#6
good stuff. i like getting glimples of oov's and boxer's relationship through interviews.
thanks emlary.
By the way, my name is Funk. I am not of your world
kandyman
Profile Joined December 2004
Swaziland665 Posts
March 20 2005 21:43 GMT
#7
nice...thx Emlary!!
Are you gonna bark all day lil doggy, or are you gonna bite?
iLoveLulu
Profile Joined August 2004
Venezuela457 Posts
March 20 2005 21:50 GMT
#8
nice interview =P
Go to: Op NoLT, Op ToT) All in Europe ;D!
chrusher97
Profile Blog Joined October 2004
Canada811 Posts
March 20 2005 22:25 GMT
#9
cool
Painbringer
Profile Joined March 2003
Norway446 Posts
March 20 2005 22:35 GMT
#10
I like oov more and more every time I see an interview with him. Also the fact that he does quite a lot of inovative thins ingame, he really earns my respect
priceless
Profile Joined September 2004
Sweden540 Posts
March 20 2005 22:37 GMT
#11
I'm so glad that a guy like oov did show up on the progaming scene. Imaging what Nada would have done else.
Ä - Its an A with two pricks on
ZyPhReX
Profile Joined January 2003
1192 Posts
March 20 2005 23:39 GMT
#12
<$
Ghost Me
yOOysi
Profile Joined December 2002
Poland726 Posts
March 21 2005 00:08 GMT
#13
oov i a great guy.

Thanks for translate i love to read stuff like this.
Lee Yun Yeol Fighting~!! // Since December 2002 with TL.net
MarKoNiO
Profile Blog Joined June 2004
Peru888 Posts
March 21 2005 00:19 GMT
#14
oov > all, that simple
- Hardcore gamer -
SoL.Origin
Profile Joined September 2003
Argentina2400 Posts
March 21 2005 01:33 GMT
#15
its amazing that nada wont be #1 KESPA...
Son Of Law
gLyo
Profile Blog Joined May 2004
United States2410 Posts
March 21 2005 01:38 GMT
#16
Q: You seem slender in your suit, and your legs are fairly long.


ahahahaha best 'question' ever
http://benisonline.com
Sky101
Profile Blog Joined May 2003
United States1758 Posts
March 21 2005 01:40 GMT
#17
Nada's made enough money, time for somebody else to earn a living :D
Peter, Dang, pm me!!!
shizuru
Profile Joined October 2004
Japan570 Posts
March 21 2005 01:50 GMT
#18
must...secret...expo...from...now...on
draeger
Profile Joined July 2003
United States3256 Posts
March 21 2005 01:51 GMT
#19
He seemed quite cocky to me. Good interview though!
t.t
Refrain[FriZ]
Profile Joined June 2003
Canada4337 Posts
March 21 2005 02:32 GMT
#20
CHEAPSKATE!
1 2 3 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Monday Night Weeklies
01:00
#66
TKL 1518
RotterdaM1002
TaKeTV 231
IndyStarCraft 210
SteadfastSC188
ZombieGrub104
LiquipediaDiscussion
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
TKL 1518
RotterdaM 1002
MaxPax 227
IndyStarCraft 210
SteadfastSC 188
RuFF_SC2 128
ZombieGrub104
StarCraft: Brood War
Calm 2592
Shuttle 437
Mind 65
910 62
Bale 13
Counter-Strike
pashabiceps1135
Fnx 704
Heroes of the Storm
Liquid`Hasu891
Other Games
summit1g5058
Grubby2655
shahzam527
Beastyqt372
mouzStarbuck241
C9.Mang0208
ToD160
UpATreeSC54
Organizations
Other Games
BasetradeTV252
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream23
[ Show 15 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• kabyraGe 184
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• Eskiya23 27
• niya90s 1
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• masondota2612
League of Legends
• TFBlade443
Other Games
• imaqtpie869
• Shiphtur299
Upcoming Events
Replay Cast
2h 26m
Afreeca Starleague
13h 26m
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
14h 26m
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
1d 3h
Patches Events
1d 19h
The PondCast
2 days
INu's Battles
2 days
Percival vs TBD
TBD vs herO
OSC
3 days
Replay Cast
3 days
OSC
4 days
[ Show More ]
BSL: Ladder Tournament
4 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
5 days
Patches Events
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
HCC Season 3
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.