• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 11:08
CEST 17:08
KST 00:08
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon108
StarCraft 2
General
Updated Continental Flags System & New Global Flag StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double Recent Patches and the Future Stellar Fest 1 Replay Pack
Tourneys
2026 GSTL Grand Finals SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ] ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament Master Swan Open (Global Bronze-Master 2)
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
Bot on ladder Where can I find Flash replays that work? a Announcement on the JEDI Ringing [ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach BW General Discussion
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero Nintendo Switch Thread EVE Corporation
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine All you football fans (soccer)! Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
MarineLorD Fan Club The Creator Fan Club The ShoWTimE Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
Violent-Cooperative Play and…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 9446 users

Your New ROOT Player: iaguz!

Forum Index > SC2 General
Post a Reply
dot89
Profile Joined February 2012
81 Posts
February 01 2014 00:30 GMT
#1
[image loading]


Hi iaguz, many people know you as the Gimli Terran. Have you ever considered moving to New Zealand to strengthen this bond with your dwarven kin?

iaguz: I think you're mistaken there. Whilst dwarves do prefer to live in mountainous areas and although New Zealand has it's fair share of mountains, hills, cliffs and even plateaus, we only like to live in mountains where there is Gold and other precious metals to be mined.

Incidentally have you seen the safety video they play for Air New Zealand? You should look it up, it's a real thing


For those of you who haven't seen it, the video link is:




Why do you think the hobbits simply didn't take Air New Zealand air planes to get around in Middle Earth? or the giant eagles?


iaguz: look, you can clearly tell that video is an amusing fake. I mean the Witch King is there, and he has his own winged steed. What need has he for jet planes?

As for the eagles, I dunno, a troubling question to be sure.


The new Hobbit movie came out recently. Why weren't you in it?

iaguz: In the timeline I wasn't born yet. My dad was in it though. Hi Dad!


Congratulations on finally making it to the ROOT House. I know the trip from Australia to USA is long, but this has taken much longer than normal. Can you tell us why that was?

iaguz: Catz asked me to join back in November. I applied for my visa but something weird happened and it ended up taking 2 months for them to process it. Guess I was just unlucky.

oh yea that's right, I remember, during my visa interview the person I was talking to said he wasn't sure if I should get a tourist visa, a work visa or an athletics visa. Note this was before Violet and Polt got theirs. He said he'd pass my application onto a different office that would answer complicated questions like that, and it took 2 months to come back "tourist/business visa"


With this visa, how long are you able to stay in NA for?

iaguz: I'm in the same boat as Petreaus, I can stay for 6 months but can apply for an extension immediately. I intend to stay for at least 12 months. I'm not sure if Pet's sorted his out yet. I hope so.


Wow that's #dedication right there. What kind of practice will you achieve in the ROOT House and how will it differ from what you experienced in Australia?

iaguz: Well I practiced pretty much all day back in Australia so it's not about how many hours spent playing. Having access to a lot of practice partners for when I have to prepare for tournament games (and me for them of course) is a boon for sure. And staying in a house of fellow nerds is definitely a good environment.

But really the most important thing is latency. Going from ~150-200 ping to some double digit number is incredibly empowering. Have you ever heard of this thing called micromanagement? Well I can actually do it now. It's amazing.

Finally, turning on a stream or vod and not have to worry about changing the resolution to 360p has not gotten old yet.


I'm sure all Aussies who read this will be extremely jealous now. Onto the house itself. The ROOT House is very large and has many rooms. Which one have you taken and why? Do you enjoy swimming in the pool and can you fit down their slide?

iaguz: It's winter currently so it's not really right for swimming just yet, and the pool is in pretty poor condition right now anyway. I haven't tested any of the equipment yet.

I've got a room downstairs near the studio. There's nothing particularly noteworthy about my room really other then like all the rooms here it's placed right next to a bathroom. The guy who made this room fucking loves plumbing, there's like 7 bathrooms.


What will be your first LAN representing ROOT?

iaguz: I'm not sure yet. I know there's a team league or two coming up (though for one of those I'm technically on Team WHO)


Why did you decide to play for the Team WHO (Australians + Blysk) instead of ROOT?

iaguz: Talked it with Pet and he thought it'd be cool to play for Team WHO. ROOT has a pretty deep line up so they'll be fine, I should think, without me and Pet playing for them. I'll also get to play in more games as part of Team WHO so that's also a plus.


On behalf of all of SEA, thank you, as you're the only Terran on the team!

What will you miss most about Australia and the SEA SC2 scene?


iaguz: My family mostly. My brothers are always fun to hang out with and my father can actually cook, a skill I've not yet picked up yet.

I'm going to miss Australian lans for sure. I made a lot of friends through those that I'll only get to talk through Skype windows now and that's a bit sad. Plus they were generally a much easier source of prize monies then I suspect American lans are going to be.


If you had $10 million, how would you improve the SC2 scene?

iaguz: I hate hypotheticals like that. If I had 10 million dollars I'd just buy a bunch of shit I like and roll around in it all day until either the money runs out or I die.


So if you had money you wouldn't play StarCraft?

iaguz: Well I might.

I'd have to do something.

Like I said I hate hypotheticals like that. I can't predict how I'd behave if I had 10 million dollars.


Buzzkill

iaguz: I suspect I'd turn to hedonism though. Wouldn't we all?


What if we take the money factor out?

iaguz: Well, using it to run events like 2012's WCS is the obvious thing. Other than that I wouldn't know. Any event that can get a lot of bums on seats with regularity is probably a good thing, and obviously the long term goal is to get a proper return on investment at some point down the line.


Okay last one! Thank you for answering questions today. You're a "newcomer" to the NA scene now. Do you have anything to say to the players and fans of your new home turf?

iaguz: Hi I'm Ethan 'iaguz' Zugai. I have come to take all your ladder points.

[image loading]
Contributors:-
Interview, editing: x5 Dot
Image: PiGMedia

http://www.team-exile5.org/ | Sponsored by NVIDIA, CM Storm and CoolerMaster
NinjaAUS
Profile Joined October 2010
Australia133 Posts
February 01 2014 00:37 GMT
#2
Mmm, hedonism.
Penguinator
Profile Joined December 2010
United States837 Posts
February 01 2014 00:48 GMT
#3
ROOT4ROOT!!!!
Towelie.635
Anlo
Profile Joined December 2013
Sweden485 Posts
February 01 2014 00:50 GMT
#4
Hope you make a splash man, stay classy!
Chairman Ray
Profile Blog Joined December 2009
United States11903 Posts
February 01 2014 00:51 GMT
#5
Grats!!! Awesome player
teddyoojo
Profile Blog Joined June 2011
Germany22369 Posts
February 01 2014 00:52 GMT
#6
ok guys, did you know that
iaguz backwards
is actually his last name
!??!!?!??!?!?!

also thx dot!
Esports historian since 2000. Creator of 'The Universe' and 'The best scrambled Eggs 2013'. Host of 'Star Wars Marathon 2015'. Thinker of 'teddyoojo's Thoughts'. Earths and Moons leading CS:GO expert. Lord of the Rings.
EJK
Profile Blog Joined September 2013
United States1302 Posts
February 01 2014 01:04 GMT
#7
woah 2 threads...but this one brings up an excellent point that his username is his last name spelled backwards...and has an interview.

I vote this thread stay open
Sc2 Terran Coach, top 16GM NA - interested in coaching? Message me on teamliquid!
Waise
Profile Joined June 2013
3165 Posts
February 01 2014 01:05 GMT
#8
On February 01 2014 10:04 Smurfett3 wrote:
woah 2 threads...but this one brings up an excellent point that his username is his last name spelled backwards...and has an interview.

I vote this thread stay open

this thread is an interview, the other one was an announcement
dot89
Profile Joined February 2012
81 Posts
February 01 2014 01:12 GMT
#9
On February 01 2014 10:05 Waise wrote:
Show nested quote +
On February 01 2014 10:04 Smurfett3 wrote:
woah 2 threads...but this one brings up an excellent point that his username is his last name spelled backwards...and has an interview.

I vote this thread stay open

this thread is an interview, the other one was an announcement


This is a separate thread. I'm not a part of ROOT. Just a friend who wanted people to know a little more about iaguz
http://www.team-exile5.org/ | Sponsored by NVIDIA, CM Storm and CoolerMaster
MadProbe
Profile Joined February 2012
United States269 Posts
February 01 2014 01:16 GMT
#10
"If I had 10 million dollars I'd just buy a bunch of shit I like and roll around in it all day until either the money runs out or I die."

lol I like this guy. Good luck on ROOT!
EJK
Profile Blog Joined September 2013
United States1302 Posts
February 01 2014 02:53 GMT
#11
On February 01 2014 10:05 Waise wrote:
Show nested quote +
On February 01 2014 10:04 Smurfett3 wrote:
woah 2 threads...but this one brings up an excellent point that his username is his last name spelled backwards...and has an interview.

I vote this thread stay open

this thread is an interview, the other one was an announcement

oh. my misunderstanding then
Sc2 Terran Coach, top 16GM NA - interested in coaching? Message me on teamliquid!
DinosaurJones
Profile Joined February 2012
United States1000 Posts
February 01 2014 03:07 GMT
#12
looking forward to seeing more of iaguz. ROOT4ROOT!
aLtNXZ
Profile Joined September 2012
Australia36 Posts
February 01 2014 05:07 GMT
#13
Iaguz is one of the funniest guys I've met. Gonna enjoy watching root house streams even more with him there. Good interview
xStorMz
Profile Joined December 2011
Australia3 Posts
February 01 2014 05:09 GMT
#14
Dwarf's aren't good at long distance running, they're natural sprinters. I wonder how the Gimli Terran managed to make it all the way to America...
http://www.team-exile5.org/ | Sponsored by NVIDIA, CM Storm and CoolerMaster
ChadMann
Profile Joined March 2011
Australia128 Posts
February 01 2014 12:43 GMT
#15
Great interview, iaguz will be missed in the land of Oz. But I'm sure he will come back eventually. gl hf
#1 ANZ SC2 Team Manager https://twitter.com/ChadMannSC2
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 8h 53m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
ProTech142
Codebar 35
StarCraft: Brood War
EffOrt 1341
Mini 942
Soma 703
actioN 442
Rush 411
Light 352
Horang2 331
Larva 292
BeSt 271
Stork 267
[ Show more ]
hero 257
Snow 256
ggaemo 236
firebathero 115
Killer 111
Barracks 105
Aegong 93
Zeus 89
Sea.KH 87
Dewaltoss 67
Sexy 56
JYJ 54
Shine 50
soO 39
Shinee 38
Sharp 35
ToSsGirL 33
Bale 27
sorry 17
Rock 17
zelot 15
Sacsri 13
Terrorterran 11
Trap 7
Dota 2
Gorgc6782
qojqva1759
Dendi705
420jenkins165
Counter-Strike
Fnx 721
x6flipin225
edward27
Heroes of the Storm
crisheroes4893
Khaldor571
Other Games
gofns52201
singsing1401
B2W.Neo856
byalli522
Lowko384
Mlord241
DeMusliM214
KnowMe174
Livibee173
Liquid`VortiX161
ArmadaUGS115
Trikslyr37
Chillindude20
Railgan12
Organizations
Other Games
WardiTV247
BasetradeTV227
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream182
[ Show 18 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Berry_CruncH130
• StrangeGG 72
• mYiSmile117
• Kozan
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• Migwel
• intothetv
• IndyKCrew
StarCraft: Brood War
• HerbMon 27
• FirePhoenix10
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
• BSLYoutube
Dota 2
• WagamamaTV394
League of Legends
• Nemesis2313
• Jankos1786
• TFBlade608
Other Games
• Shiphtur34
Upcoming Events
PiGosaur Cup
8h 53m
Kung Fu Cup
19h 53m
The PondCast
1d 18h
OSC
1d 21h
CranKy Ducklings
3 days
Online Event
3 days
FEL
4 days
AI Arena Tournament
4 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
4 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
4 days
[ Show More ]
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
WardiTV Weekly
5 days
Replay Cast
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-27
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual
Stake Ranked Episode 3

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.