• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 09:00
CEST 15:00
KST 22:00
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror6[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
Rollback Netcode in Brood War625.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 202621Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)78
StarCraft 2
General
5.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 2026 [Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)
Tourneys
RSL 2026 Offline Finals LCQ Sign-Ups $3,500 WardiTV Not-Summer Championship ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) ISSL (IntoTheTV x SOOP SC2 League): Premier
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
ChatGPT cheats at StarSkirmish SCAI tournament BW General Discussion Rollback Netcode in Brood War TL Sidebar missing streams [ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror
Tourneys
[Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Semifinal A [ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Simple Questions, Simple Answers Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do?
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25!
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
[Manga] One Piece Movie Discussion! Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread TeamLiquid Health and Fitness Initiative For 2023 MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 7743 users

My Week in Korea: Part 1

Blogs > Sayle
Post a Reply
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All
Sayle
Profile Joined October 2010
United Kingdom3685 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-12-27 14:40:50
December 26 2011 15:14 GMT
#1
So I just got back from my trip to Seoul and as promised, I'm writing a blog about my adventures in the land of gosus. I'm not much of a writer and I actually get annoyed when I see ridiculous walls of text, so I'll mostly just be spamming pictures with captions, battle report style :D

I actually wrote out this whole blog already and am just waiting for the pictures to upload, but it's way longer than expected so I'm going to break it into two parts.

+ Show Spoiler [warning: lots of pictures] +


Day 1: (Tuesday)

I had a bumpy start to my trip, with my train getting canceled and my flight reservation getting somewhat lost by the airline, but eventually I arrived in the holy land. My first goal was to seek out the drink of champions:

[image loading]

Revitalized and feeling the power of 400 eapm coursing through my body, I made my way to the hotel I'd booked at the last minute. My flight had landed at around 4am that day but I still had plans to go meet up with Kiett and go to SPL that afternoon, so I needed to get some rest. Thankfully, the hotel was actually quite decent:

[image loading]

I managed to get in touch with Kiett with my handy-dandy rented iPhone (thanks to Rekrul for the tip), and braved the wilderness of the Seoul subway to get to our rendezvous point. On the way, I saw a larger-than-life smart phone:

[image loading]

and a parade of South Korea's finest decked out in the latest military technology:

[image loading]

I managed to find Kiett and was met by a "you look a lot different than I imagined." Clearly I was far more handsome than she'd expected. I get that a lot. There was still some time to kill before SPL so we did some shopping and got some delicious street food:

[image loading]

Then, at long last, I attended my first live Proleague match. We arrived a bit late so we didn't get seats, but it didn't matter. I was there in the crowd. I could see the stage, the booths, the players with my own eyes. I could feel the energy of the crowd. The feeling was amazing.

[image loading]

[image loading]

[image loading]

At the beginning of the match, we met up with Kiett's friend RunningInSquares (aka white guy in the SPL commercial), and later on a couple more TLers approached us, drawn in by the aura of the white man.

[image loading]

From left to right: Xenocide_Knight, his friend (Freaky_Ivan or something like that), Kiett, RunningInSquares. After the match, the SKT guys lined up for some photos but ran away before anybody could get any one-on-one shots or autographs. This is the only good picture I got:

[image loading]

After the match, we decided to go out and grab some dinner. Kiett took us to a nice all-you-can-eat chicken place:

[image loading]

Then, we were faced with a choice: no rae bang (karaoke) or PC bang. I haven't had such an easy decision to make since picking protoss.

[image loading]

[image loading]

[image loading]

Xenocide and his friend had to leave us near the end to go meet up with some other people, but since it was Kiett's last night in Korea, we decided to make it last by going to a PC bang:

[image loading]

We ended up spending most of the time just browsing TL and chilling, and parted ways at around 3am. Before we left though, Kiett gave me a lovely memento of the occasion: a self portrait sketched on some SPL cheerful paper:

[image loading]

Back at the hotel, I got a nice little treat before going to bed. Broodwar on TV baby, oh yeah. +10 cool points to anyone who can guess who's playing:

[image loading]

Day 2: (Wednesday)

More SPL! This time it was Team 8 vs Khan. Since I was planning to skip the matches on Sunday to go to Comic World with NeverGG, this was my only chance to watch my favorite team play and get the autograph of my hero Stork.

[image loading]

[image loading]

[image loading]

I also got some shots of the cool wall at the back of the studio:

[image loading]

[image loading]

Thankfully, Khan wins the match and comes out for a fan meeting:

[image loading]

Words cannot describe how awesome this was:

[image loading]

[image loading]

[image loading]

Unfortunately though, I seem to have done something wrong when approaching Jangbi. After getting Stork's autograph, I wandered over to Jangbi who was in the middle of a semicircle of fangirls all talking to him. I decided to wait a little bit and after some more chatting, the group seemed to do a semi-formal 'conclusion' with each girl introducing herself to Jangbi. After the last girl finished, I thought they were done so I approached Jangbi and asked for his autograph/picture. Oh boy. The glare Jangbi gave me made JD's death stare look like a sideways glance from Fluttershy. That shit was scary. He also just kept glaring for a while too, not at all reacting to me asking for his autograph. One of the fangirls made it worse by snickering and saying something like "eehan sign timing". I managed not to piss myself and got what I wanted, but I'm still not sure what I did wrong

Anyway, we acquired a new TLer (FuRong) to replace Kiett and went out to dinner again, this time a Korean BBQ: (just kidding Kiett, <3 you)

&#91;image loading&#93;

&#91;image loading&#93;

Now, RunningInSquares is also an SC2 fan, and after talking to him I found out that Thursday would be the GSL up/down group with Boxer in it. Guess I know what I'm doing on Thursday.

Day 3: (Thursday)

GSL time!

&#91;image loading&#93;

&#91;image loading&#93;

&#91;image loading&#93;

The GSL also has a pretty cool wall at their studio. The receptionist there was actually really nice and let us (me and some other random foreigners) take one picture each from the wall. I got a Boxer pic :D

&#91;image loading&#93;

&#91;image loading&#93;

Now, I'm not the biggest SC2 fan, and that day's matches were pretty long (~5 hours). We also had to wait an extra half an hour or so in the freezing lobby area while Boxer did his winner's interview. But then the moment came that made everything worth it:

&#91;image loading&#93;

Yeah. I met Slayers_Boxer and got his autograph. I can die happy now. As many fanboys do, though, I kind of made a fool of myself in front of the Emperor. There was a desk in between us that he was using for the signings, and I kinda tripped on it when I was moving around for the picture. Oh wellz.


Part 2: http://www.teamliquid.net/blogs/viewblog.php?topic_id=298418


****
pred470r
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
Bulgaria3265 Posts
December 26 2011 15:28 GMT
#2
Great blog, can't wait for part 2!
P.S. I always thought you were a white nerdy guy, and I'm very surprised now to see that you're an asian nerdy guy!
Crais
Profile Blog Joined March 2010
Canada2136 Posts
December 26 2011 15:28 GMT
#3
Yay Sayle! Looks like you had a great time.
RIP MBC Game Hero
TheKefka
Profile Blog Joined March 2011
Croatia11752 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-12-26 15:30:41
December 26 2011 15:30 GMT
#4
Moral of the story:Do not cockblock Jangbi.
Heheh,just kidding.I don't know why he gave you that stare but I'm pretty sure it had something to do with him being around his fangirls,couldn't give you any other logical explanation.

I hope I can come to Korea in the near future as well to have the same experience as you guys that wrote blogs about it,I'm so jelly >.>

Can't wait for part 2:D
Cackle™
Zergneedsfood
Profile Blog Joined September 2008
United States10671 Posts
December 26 2011 15:30 GMT
#5
Hmmm....I would've expected some mention of lolis in here....

But BW is good also.
/人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\ Make a contract with me and join TLADT | Onodera isn't actually a girl, she's just a doormat you walk over to get to the girl. - Numy 2015
HeaDStrong
Profile Blog Joined January 2009
Scotland785 Posts
December 26 2011 15:32 GMT
#6
Haha words cannot describe how jelly I am.

Also could a mod please rename this 'Sayle's body thread', so it's less confusing?
Itsmedudeman
Profile Blog Joined March 2011
United States19229 Posts
December 26 2011 15:33 GMT
#7
Oh my god I can't believe you were able to get those pictures
amazingxkcd
Profile Blog Joined September 2010
GRAND OLD AMERICA16375 Posts
December 26 2011 15:34 GMT
#8
OH man, that looked like a lot of fun! Also, did that karaoke place have disney songs?
The world is burning and you rather be on this terrible website discussing video games and your shallow feelings
ZoW
Profile Blog Joined January 2009
United States3983 Posts
December 26 2011 15:34 GMT
#9
I wanna go to korea so bad

+10 cool points to anyone who can guess who's playing:

jd vs fanta on sin chupung batoo osl
the courage to be a lazy bum
mutton
Profile Joined January 2011
64 Posts
December 26 2011 15:35 GMT
#10
On December 27 2011 00:32 HeaDStrong wrote:
Haha words cannot describe how jelly I am.

Also could a mod please rename this 'Sayle's body thread', so it's less confusing?

Or 'Ee Han Signing'...
OopsOopsBaby
Profile Blog Joined June 2010
Singapore3425 Posts
December 26 2011 15:35 GMT
#11
fantasy vs jaedong batoo osl finals.
s3x2-2 xiao3x2+2 bone3+2+2
Linwelin
Profile Joined March 2011
Ireland7554 Posts
December 26 2011 15:39 GMT
#12
Great blog! I'm so jealous.
Can't wait for part 2
Fuck Razor and Death Prophet
MooMooMugi
Profile Blog Joined January 2011
United States10531 Posts
December 26 2011 15:48 GMT
#13
If I got a autograph/picture with Boxer I will die happy too
|LoL & SC2 IGN both my username| Just livin' the baylife| Hearthstone ID: MooMooMugi#1544| Dank Memer since 2011
Boundz(DarKo)
Profile Joined March 2009
5311 Posts
December 26 2011 15:49 GMT
#14
Looks freaking awesome! Amazing that you got to meet both boxer and khan!

Yes we B jelly~~;;
fabiano
Profile Blog Joined August 2009
Brazil4644 Posts
December 26 2011 15:50 GMT
#15
Lolol Jangbi setting up his dating schedule and Sayle comes in asking for photos and autographs!

gogo sayle!
"When the geyser died, a probe came out" - SirJolt
Saechiis
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
Netherlands4989 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-12-26 15:51:09
December 26 2011 15:50 GMT
#16
Don't be too hard on JangBi, thanks to you and shield battery he'll be forever alone

+ Show Spoiler +

- Next game will be played on Christmas day.

> Stork: It's always that way. Christmas day games are better than games during extended holidays. There were many instances when I couldn't travel to my home town to see my relatives because of games during extended holidays. I'll be seeing my girlfriend after the match, and I know that my girlfriend will understand. I hope that we win so I can meet her in a great mood!

> JangBi: Screw Christmas. I don't have a girlfriend anyway. It's just another day for me. What's Christmas? (laughs) I'll go out with Brave after the match.

> Brave: Nope, I'm going to go play with Hydra. I wanted to drown Hydra in alcohol after our match together, but he didn't have any time off. Christmas will be the right time. I will make him crawl back to his dorm in fours (laughs). Hydra is not a good drinker, but I heard he had a couple drinks after losing to Hoejja.

Source: http://www.fomos.kr/board/board.php?mode=read&keyno=122049&db=Global
I think esports is pretty nice.
corumjhaelen
Profile Blog Joined October 2009
France6884 Posts
December 26 2011 16:06 GMT
#17
Can't wait for part 2 and for next cast <3
Really seems like you had lots of fun, but did you miss grapes ? :D
‎numquam se plus agere quam nihil cum ageret, numquam minus solum esse quam cum solus esset
awwnuts07
Profile Blog Joined February 2011
United States621 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-12-26 16:07:29
December 26 2011 16:07 GMT
#18
5/5 stars. I'm jealous bro. You've met two of the Dragons (even though one looked like he wanted to tear your head off)
I'm a noob
juked
Profile Joined May 2010
United States691 Posts
December 26 2011 16:37 GMT
#19
Very jealous and can't wait for part 2. I can't die yet, haven't met the emperor
Chimpalimp
Profile Joined May 2010
United States1135 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-12-26 16:52:41
December 26 2011 16:51 GMT
#20
Way to pull off a cockblock during X-mass time.

I am mad jealous that you got a pic with not only Stork and Jangbi, but Boxer too! However I must say that if I don't see some pictures with Bisu in your next blog (a non-fleeting one at that!), I will be madly disappointed.

I hope you enjoyed yourself Sayle, thanks for the pictures, and the laughs! I can't wait for round 2.
I like money. You like money too? We should hang out.
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 2h
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
mouzHeroMarine 566
Railgan 55
MindelVK 25
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 68339
Calm 11648
Rain 2382
Bisu 1722
FanTaSy 819
Shuttle 606
Stork 573
soO 454
Rush 338
Soma 237
[ Show more ]
firebathero 232
Snow 208
Last 175
Light 114
Mind 97
Pusan 72
hero 58
Sharp 54
ToSsGirL 44
Free 42
Bale 39
Trap 35
Mong 28
Hm[arnc] 25
Aegong 23
zelot 20
Sexy 15
Noble 15
HiyA 14
yabsab 14
Sacsri 12
Shine 12
IntoTheRainbow 8
scan(afreeca) 7
Terrorterran 2
Icarus 1
Dota 2
Gorgc8519
Dendi735
Counter-Strike
fl0m2809
byalli1055
x6flipin269
Super Smash Bros
Mew2King92
Other Games
gofns40942
singsing2229
B2W.Neo598
Pyrionflax257
Liquid`RaSZi133
Hui .52
Trikslyr33
Chillindude15
Beastyqt8
Organizations
Other Games
BasetradeTV224
[ Show 16 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• 3DClanTV 92
• CranKy Ducklings SOOP52
• Response 8
• Dystopia_ 5
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• WagamamaTV469
League of Legends
• Jankos3046
• Nemesis2806
Counter-Strike
• C_a_k_e 1262
Upcoming Events
Patches Events
2h
BSL Open Qualifier
6h
BSL Open Qualifier
6h
OSC
10h
Replay Cast
10h
OSC
23h
WardiTV Weekly
1d 22h
PiGosaur Cup
2 days
Kung Fu Cup
2 days
The PondCast
3 days
[ Show More ]
Online Event
4 days
Korean StarCraft League
5 days
Afreeca Starleague
5 days
Rush vs Soulkey
CranKy Ducklings
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
HCC Season 3
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.