• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 07:10
CEST 13:10
KST 20:10
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror6[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
Rollback Netcode in Brood War625.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 202621Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)78
StarCraft 2
General
5.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 2026 [Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)
Tourneys
RSL 2026 Offline Finals LCQ Sign-Ups $3,500 WardiTV Not-Summer Championship ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) ISSL (IntoTheTV x SOOP SC2 League): Premier
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
Rollback Netcode in Brood War BW General Discussion TL Sidebar missing streams ChatGPT cheats at StarSkirmish SCAI tournament [ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Simple Questions, Simple Answers Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do?
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25!
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
[Manga] One Piece Movie Discussion! Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread TeamLiquid Health and Fitness Initiative For 2023 MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 7190 users

Old System, New Video Card - not working plz help!

Forum Index > Tech Support
Post a Reply
ragnasaur
Profile Blog Joined April 2006
United States804 Posts
June 16 2011 17:40 GMT
#1
I recently purchased a new video card (MSI Radeon HD5670 512MB) for my 5-year-old system. I made sure to research that the product I was buying would be compatible in my PC. The power supply should be sufficient, the card fits snug in the backwards compatible PCI-E x16 expansion slot, I was also very careful with installation itself.

After installing the card and powering on the computer, the card's fan spins but the monitor stays black (like in sleep mode).

Other than a dead card, what are some other things that could be causing this problem?
Any and all help is greatly appreciated!!!

My system specs are-->
Mobo: Gigabyte GA-K8NF-9 (rev. 1.x)
CPU: AMD Athlon 64 3500+ 2.2GHz
GPU: VisionTek Radeon x1550 256MB DDR2
RAM: 2x 512mb Kingston & 2x 512mb Patriot both PC3200 DDR SDRAM
HDD: 160GB Western Digital / 33GB Free
PSU: Thermaltake PurePower Butterfly 480 Watt Power Supply
OS: Windows XP Professional (32 bit) SP3
| (• ◡•)| (❍ᴥ❍ʋ) George Forman doesnt have any fingerprints
Sprungjeezy
Profile Blog Joined June 2010
United States1313 Posts
June 16 2011 17:46 GMT
#2
I did not read this, so I am posting it.

Reformat your computer.

This as far as I know is "universally" known requirement with any new components.
skyR
Profile Joined July 2009
Canada13817 Posts
June 16 2011 17:47 GMT
#3
Some motherboards with PCIE x16 1.x slots need a BIOS update to support 2.1 cards.

You don't need to format for a graphics card upgrade, this is the stupidest suggestion I've read in quite a long time.
JingleHell
Profile Blog Joined March 2011
United States11308 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-06-16 17:56:19
June 16 2011 17:48 GMT
#4
On June 17 2011 02:46 Sprungjeezy wrote:
I did not read this, so I am posting it.

Reformat your computer.

This as far as I know is "universally" known requirement with any new components.


That's stupid. Uninstall drivers with driversweeper, reinstall drivers, make sure the monitor is plugged into the video card instead of the motherboard, reseat the video card, and make sure you have the appropriate number of PCIE power cables plugged in from the PSU.

On June 17 2011 02:47 skyR wrote:
Some motherboards with PCIE x16 1.x slots need a BIOS update to support 2.1 cards.

You don't need to format for a graphics card upgrade, this is the stupidest suggestion I've read in quite a long time.


Oh come on, give him some credit, that one guy said to clean old thermal paste with a wet rag...

Second or third dumbest, realistically, I'm sure S.O.U.L has at least one worse, as well.
skyR
Profile Joined July 2009
Canada13817 Posts
June 16 2011 18:01 GMT
#5
I did some researching for you and it seems to me you didn't research hard enough. Your board requires a BIOS update:

http://ggts.gigabyte.com.tw/FileList/901500/k8nf-9.12l

This is an unofficial BIOS provided by Gigabyte. USE AT YOUR OWN RISK. I'm not responsible for bricking your motherboard.

Reports of it working: http://forums.amd.com/game/messageview.cfm?catid=260&threadid=120655&STARTPAGE=3&FTVAR_FORUMVIEWTMP=Linear
ensign_lee
Profile Joined June 2010
United States1178 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-06-16 18:05:34
June 16 2011 18:05 GMT
#6
On June 17 2011 02:46 Sprungjeezy wrote:
I did not read this, so I am posting it.

Reformat your computer.

This as far as I know is "universally" known requirement with any new components.


For a VIDEO CARD? That is NOT good advice. Search for update drivers for you mobo since your computer is 5 years old.

edit: dangit, ninjad by Skyr.
JingleHell
Profile Blog Joined March 2011
United States11308 Posts
June 16 2011 18:06 GMT
#7
On June 17 2011 03:05 ensign_lee wrote:
Show nested quote +
On June 17 2011 02:46 Sprungjeezy wrote:
I did not read this, so I am posting it.

Reformat your computer.

This as far as I know is "universally" known requirement with any new components.


For a VIDEO CARD? That is NOT good advice. Search for update drivers for you mobo since your computer is 5 years old.

edit: dangit, ninjad by Skyr.


That's just kinda the status quo...
ragnasaur
Profile Blog Joined April 2006
United States804 Posts
June 16 2011 18:15 GMT
#8
thanks guys you all pwn!
I didn't do anything with the PSU, all I did was plug the card into the PCI-E slot. Pretty sure thats all this card requires though
I had seen some reviews of people having trouble with older boards but I was kinda hoping it wouldn't happen to me ><
I'm awaiting a response from Gigabyte regarding the BIOS update, but it comes with that WARNING so uhohz...
| (• ◡•)| (❍ᴥ❍ʋ) George Forman doesnt have any fingerprints
S.O.U.L
Profile Joined March 2011
Latvia149 Posts
June 16 2011 18:46 GMT
#9
and for the card tp run better, overclock youre CPU to the maximum stable and test it under full load for like 24 hours! it will run games a lot better tehn it would be know!

User was warned for this post
CezA
Bambipwnsu
Profile Blog Joined November 2010
Canada698 Posts
June 16 2011 18:59 GMT
#10
On June 17 2011 03:46 S.O.U.L wrote:
and for the card tp run better, overclock youre CPU to the maximum stable and test it under full load for like 24 hours! it will run games a lot better tehn it would be know!


hahaha

I <3 u S.O.U.L. Don't ever stop your magic. I always enjoy reading your posts however random they are lol.
LoL @ NA: bambipwnsu
JingleHell
Profile Blog Joined March 2011
United States11308 Posts
June 16 2011 19:13 GMT
#11
On June 17 2011 03:59 Bambipwnsu wrote:
Show nested quote +
On June 17 2011 03:46 S.O.U.L wrote:
and for the card tp run better, overclock youre CPU to the maximum stable and test it under full load for like 24 hours! it will run games a lot better tehn it would be know!


hahaha

I <3 u S.O.U.L. Don't ever stop your magic. I always enjoy reading your posts however random they are lol.


Please don't encourage him.
TadH
Profile Blog Joined February 2010
Canada1846 Posts
June 16 2011 19:21 GMT
#12
On June 17 2011 04:13 JingleHell wrote:
Show nested quote +
On June 17 2011 03:59 Bambipwnsu wrote:
On June 17 2011 03:46 S.O.U.L wrote:
and for the card tp run better, overclock youre CPU to the maximum stable and test it under full load for like 24 hours! it will run games a lot better tehn it would be know!


hahaha

I <3 u S.O.U.L. Don't ever stop your magic. I always enjoy reading your posts however random they are lol.


Please don't encourage him.



Seriously, all it takes is for one uninformed person to heed his advice, and ruin their computer.

That is not funny.
ragnasaur
Profile Blog Joined April 2006
United States804 Posts
June 17 2011 04:19 GMT
#13
I was going to flash the BIOS with Q-Flash but it asks me for a floppy disk. I don't have any floppy's, is there any way to set it so I can load the BIOS off of a USB drive?
Or should I manually reset with that pin or watch-battery thing?
| (• ◡•)| (❍ᴥ❍ʋ) George Forman doesnt have any fingerprints
HydraLF
Profile Blog Joined January 2011
Hong Kong626 Posts
June 17 2011 04:27 GMT
#14
I know for ASUS that I can flash BIOS with USB/CD ROM, watch battery thing have nothing to do with flashing your bios, I wouldn't bother with that unless you fail to boot for whatever reason.
Sure.
skyR
Profile Joined July 2009
Canada13817 Posts
June 17 2011 04:36 GMT
#15
Q-Flash can be used with a USB drive.

Removing the battery / shorting the jumper clears the CMOS which resets the settings in your BIOS. It doesn't update your BIOS. It is a good idea to do this to reset the BIOS back to factory defaults before updating and after updating.
ragnasaur
Profile Blog Joined April 2006
United States804 Posts
June 17 2011 05:05 GMT
#16
How do i use Q-Flash with a USB drive?
I saved a new BIOS version onto my USB drive but when i enter Q-Flash the only option is boot from floppy disk...
| (• ◡•)| (❍ᴥ❍ʋ) George Forman doesnt have any fingerprints
skyR
Profile Joined July 2009
Canada13817 Posts
June 17 2011 05:15 GMT
#17
If your Q-Flash is too old without the USB option than you have other choices such as flashing from inside Windows (not recommended) or through DOS.
ragnasaur
Profile Blog Joined April 2006
United States804 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-06-17 06:04:38
June 17 2011 06:02 GMT
#18
Ohh dang, and there's no way to set Q-Flash to boot with a usb or cd?
420 posts^^
| (• ◡•)| (❍ᴥ❍ʋ) George Forman doesnt have any fingerprints
Yung
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
United States727 Posts
June 17 2011 06:38 GMT
#19
On June 17 2011 13:19 ragnasaur wrote:
I was going to flash the BIOS with A Q-TIP but it asks me for a floppy disk. I don't have any floppy's, is there any way to set it so I can load the BIOS off of a USB drive?
Or should I manually reset with that pin or watch-battery thing?

I read it like this and thought it was someone trolling S.O.U.L
TobZero
Profile Blog Joined March 2010
Germany493 Posts
June 17 2011 08:39 GMT
#20
On June 17 2011 14:05 ragnasaur wrote:
How do i use Q-Flash with a USB drive?
I saved a new BIOS version onto my USB drive but when i enter Q-Flash the only option is boot from floppy disk...


try another usb drive.
is it formated correct? has to be FAT or FAT32
-= we are the swarm =-
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Sparkling Tuna Cup
19:00
Weekly #150 (SHIN Mod Edition)
herO vs ClassicLIVE!
ByuN vs TBD
CranKy Ducklings115
SHIN 62
CranKy Ducklings SOOP52
LiquipediaDiscussion
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
ByuN 250
OGKoka 240
mouzHeroMarine 237
SHIN 62
MindelVK 20
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 60039
Calm 9920
Rain 2814
FanTaSy 1195
soO 1014
BeSt 1008
Bisu 615
Stork 389
Soulkey 358
Soma 240
[ Show more ]
firebathero 208
Rush 197
Last 142
Mind 75
Pusan 70
Light 70
Snow 67
ToSsGirL 60
Sexy 55
Shinee 47
Sharp 40
hero 33
Killer 32
Mong 27
Trap 25
Hm[arnc] 20
yabsab 19
Terrorterran 17
Sacsri 16
HiyA 16
sorry 16
zelot 16
Shine 15
Free 11
Noble 10
IntoTheRainbow 7
scan(afreeca) 6
Sea.KH 6
Dota 2
Gorgc7460
League of Legends
Reynor71
Counter-Strike
byalli667
x6flipin235
Super Smash Bros
Mew2King84
Other Games
gofns26499
singsing1985
Pyrionflax237
Chillindude12
Organizations
Other Games
BasetradeTV243
StarCraft: Brood War
lovetv 8
[ Show 13 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• 3DClanTV 59
• Gemini_19 4
• Dystopia_ 1
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• WagamamaTV427
League of Legends
• Jankos3184
Upcoming Events
Patches Events
3h 50m
BSL Open Qualifier
7h 50m
BSL Open Qualifier
7h 50m
OSC
11h 50m
OSC
1d
WardiTV Weekly
1d 23h
PiGosaur Cup
2 days
The PondCast
3 days
Online Event
4 days
Korean StarCraft League
5 days
[ Show More ]
Afreeca Starleague
5 days
Rush vs Soulkey
CranKy Ducklings
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
HCC Season 3
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.