• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 00:32
CEST 06:32
KST 13:32
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon105
StarCraft 2
General
Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double Recent patches and the Future Stellar Fest 1 Replay Pack StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Balance hotfix patch 5.0.16b (July 16)
Tourneys
2026 GSTL Grand Finals ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament Master Swan Open (Global Bronze-Master 2) Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20)
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
Bot on ladder BW General Discussion [ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach PLAYzone Challenge - open offline tour in Prague an AI researcher's take on the ladder bot
Tourneys
[ASL22] Rp8 Day 4 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Total Annihilation Zero Nintendo Switch Thread EVE Corporation
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread All you football fans (soccer)!
Fan Clubs
MarineLorD Fan Club The Creator Fan Club The ShoWTimE Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
Violent-Cooperative Play and…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8971 users

The Rekrul Korea Story - Page 17

Forum Index > TL Community
Post a Reply
Prev 1 15 16 17 18 19 20 Next All
frogurt
Profile Blog Joined April 2011
Australia907 Posts
September 15 2011 02:01 GMT
#321
Remember when superdanielman casted with tastless?

Those were the days...
"Koreans own white dudes" -Moon
BarbieHsu
Profile Joined September 2011
574 Posts
September 15 2011 02:02 GMT
#322
On September 15 2011 10:44 dAPhREAk wrote:
interesting read. i would love to see the five year update.

edit: i would also like to see idra's story for his sc1/sc2, and the other foreigners' experience for sc2. sc2 seems so much easier to get into the "pro" scene because the scene is still in the infant stages.


I would love to see your perspective on this today! Is the gaming scene still top heavy, like the drug pushing business?
snowbird
Profile Blog Joined October 2005
Germany2044 Posts
September 15 2011 02:09 GMT
#323
oldie but goldie!
@riotsnowbird
Duka08
Profile Blog Joined July 2010
3391 Posts
September 15 2011 02:33 GMT
#324
I also vote for a highly selective "archive" TL subforum where amazing threads (both insightful/awesome or humorous) can be highlighted and appreciated for eternity, with or without new comments.
windsupernova
Profile Joined October 2010
Mexico5280 Posts
September 15 2011 03:04 GMT
#325
On September 15 2011 10:07 SoLaR[i.C] wrote:
I always enjoy reading this. It's funny that poker has played such in large role in some former BW players' lives.

Next best Rekrul thread: Foreigners Still Suck


Hahaha idra fans would flip and kill Rekrul
"Its easy, just trust your CPU".-Boxer on being good at games
ScaSully
Profile Joined April 2011
United States488 Posts
September 15 2011 03:27 GMT
#326
very amazing story. my goal in life is to be a progamer or die trying. but this makes me think... what do i do after
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
DamageControL
Profile Blog Joined July 2007
United States4222 Posts
September 15 2011 04:12 GMT
#327
On September 15 2011 12:04 windsupernova wrote:
Show nested quote +
On September 15 2011 10:07 SoLaR[i.C] wrote:
I always enjoy reading this. It's funny that poker has played such in large role in some former BW players' lives.

Next best Rekrul thread: Foreigners Still Suck


Hahaha idra fans would flip and kill Rekrul

Was such a true post.
Liquid | SKT
Belial88
Profile Blog Joined November 2010
United States5217 Posts
September 15 2011 04:13 GMT
#328
Great read. Thanks.
How to build a $500 i7-3770K Ultimate Computer:http://www.teamliquid.net/blogs/viewblog.php?topic_id=392709 ******** 100% Safe Razorless Delid Method! http://www.overclock.net/t/1376206/how-to-delid-your-ivy-bridge-cpu-with-out-a-razor-blade/0_100
-_-
Profile Blog Joined November 2003
United States7081 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-09-15 04:31:03
September 15 2011 04:22 GMT
#329
Why can't anyone bump something I haven't read :/


OMG, here are my thoughts on this issue from 6 years ago!

"I agree partly with Tress, but mostly disagree with you Haut..

If you go to law school, and it's what you planned to do, and you weren't forced into it, I say that's an experience that's worth something. You worked hard. You studied. You graduated. School is an experience people want, and one that is almost always the fondest memory of an old man or woman. Lawyers don't live "boring-ass" lives compared to most jobs. And being a lawyer gives you the freedom to do things with the rest of your time you couldn't otherwise.

Plus, Tress was referring to Rekrul, and it sounds like overall, once "the shit hit the fan," this wasn't a memory he'll treasure like a first born son.

And guess what, I'm not jealous of Rekrul. Being good at computer games and poker is something I respect, but he's not better than me. I'm not jealous of him, and nobody but an aspiring SC gamer hoping to go to korea, or play the best people, or own up their friends, should be. Part of me does wish I could be that good, but another part says life is more than games (and I play plenty of 'em).

Edit: Oh yeah, I know progamers. In fact I know every one to ever live. And actually they are ALL awful communist Catholic priests who molest children. Their interests are slaughtering Jews, and they have declared a jihad on all religion and religious people. For that matter, they are Capitalists who both actively oppress and totally neglect the poor.
"


My post is so fucking funny. Lolling at myself talking about lawschool. Don't think I was planning to go back in 05.

Btw, check out the bold. How fucking obvious is it that I'm crazy fucking jealous of Rek.


Antisocialmunky
Profile Blog Joined March 2010
United States5913 Posts
September 15 2011 04:36 GMT
#330
On September 15 2011 13:12 DamageControL wrote:
Show nested quote +
On September 15 2011 12:04 windsupernova wrote:
On September 15 2011 10:07 SoLaR[i.C] wrote:
I always enjoy reading this. It's funny that poker has played such in large role in some former BW players' lives.

Next best Rekrul thread: Foreigners Still Suck


Hahaha idra fans would flip and kill Rekrul

Is such a true post.


Especially the last sentence. Well except that he went on to become the 2nd best English caster in Korea. :D
[゚n゚] SSSSssssssSSsss ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Marine/Raven Guide:http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=163605
endy
Profile Blog Joined May 2009
Switzerland8970 Posts
September 15 2011 04:45 GMT
#331
On September 15 2011 13:22 -_- wrote:
Why can't anyone bump something I haven't read :/


OMG, here are my thoughts on this issue from 6 years ago!

Show nested quote +
"I agree partly with Tress, but mostly disagree with you Haut..

If you go to law school, and it's what you planned to do, and you weren't forced into it, I say that's an experience that's worth something. You worked hard. You studied. You graduated. School is an experience people want, and one that is almost always the fondest memory of an old man or woman. Lawyers don't live "boring-ass" lives compared to most jobs. And being a lawyer gives you the freedom to do things with the rest of your time you couldn't otherwise.

Plus, Tress was referring to Rekrul, and it sounds like overall, once "the shit hit the fan," this wasn't a memory he'll treasure like a first born son.

And guess what, I'm not jealous of Rekrul. Being good at computer games and poker is something I respect, but he's not better than me. I'm not jealous of him, and nobody but an aspiring SC gamer hoping to go to korea, or play the best people, or own up their friends, should be. Part of me does wish I could be that good, but another part says life is more than games (and I play plenty of 'em).

Edit: Oh yeah, I know progamers. In fact I know every one to ever live. And actually they are ALL awful communist Catholic priests who molest children. Their interests are slaughtering Jews, and they have declared a jihad on all religion and religious people. For that matter, they are Capitalists who both actively oppress and totally neglect the poor.
"


My post is so fucking funny. Lolling at myself talking about lawschool. Don't think I was planning to go back in 05.

Btw, check out the bold. How fucking obvious is it that I'm crazy fucking jealous of Rek.




It's hard not to be jealous when he's posting blogs like this one.
http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=103509

I'm looking forward an SC2 version of "Foreigners still suck" !
ॐ
FuRong
Profile Joined April 2010
New Zealand3089 Posts
September 15 2011 05:14 GMT
#332
This is really interesting. As someone who joined TL in early 2010, I agree that there should be a subforum for archived posts like this one. It's cool to read what some of the "legendary" posters and TL contributors were writing about before they achieved god-status.

I guess in some ways the legend effect has got to me too...I thought that Rekrul was already fluent in Korean by January 2005, but it turns out that's not the case. In some strange way it makes me feel a bit better about my own poor Korean, haha.
Don't hate the player, hate the game
Rekrul
Profile Blog Joined November 2002
Korea (South)17174 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-09-15 05:19:41
September 15 2011 05:19 GMT
#333
On September 15 2011 14:14 FuRong wrote:
This is really interesting. As someone who joined TL in early 2010, I agree that there should be a subforum for archived posts like this one. It's cool to read what some of the "legendary" posters and TL contributors were writing about before they achieved god-status.

I guess in some ways the legend effect has got to me too...I thought that Rekrul was already fluent in Korean by January 2005, but it turns out that's not the case. In some strange way it makes me feel a bit better about my own poor Korean, haha.


I was fluent in 06' ^^
why so 진지해?
ChApFoU
Profile Blog Joined July 2004
France2984 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-09-15 06:03:42
September 15 2011 05:52 GMT
#334
Memories I remember reading that thread back in 2005. It was back in the days where we cheered for Assem and Legionnaire in their rare TV appearances. I realized at that time that it was impossible for a foreigner to break through. Giyom and Elky did because they were so talented but also because the scene was much softer back then.

History kinda repeats itself with SC2. The structure of the korean practice regime transferred to SC2 and recreated that gap between korea and the world. One positive thnig though is that small online tournaments and streams increased the salary of the average pro. Back in the days you'd have to be nuts to go into progaming :p

edit : xDDDDDDDD I just read the "Foreigners still sucks" opening post (took a break from TL at that time) and it's a pure gem
"I honestly think that whoever invented toilet paper in a genius" Kang Min
koreasilver
Profile Blog Joined June 2008
9109 Posts
September 15 2011 06:22 GMT
#335
On October 12 2009 03:20 phosphorylation wrote:
watch your mouth
your use of "boji" reflects how much you "respect" korea and korean females in general
why dont you man up and leave korea and play a fairer game?
where some females arent stupid and compeltely blind over white males.. where the biggest nerd back in states cant so easily become the biggest pimp?
alternately, just dont strut your exploits so proudly as you do now..cos you really dont deserve to

rofl

noob is so jealous.
syst
Profile Blog Joined March 2003
United States247 Posts
September 15 2011 06:44 GMT
#336
I remember reading this when it was originally posted and I've read it at least 4 or 5 times since. It even influenced me to write a lengthy term paper on internet culture, fandom and fantasy. This post wasn't even that popular when it was originally posted, though it changed everything about the way I looked at Korea and the progaming scene there. It brought my fantastical visions of korean programing to an end and I've appreciated having that happen to me when it did. An awesome OLD POST .
nanaoei
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
3358 Posts
September 15 2011 06:57 GMT
#337
On September 15 2011 11:01 frogurt wrote:
Remember when superdanielman casted with tastless?

Those were the days...



: ( . . . SDM was soooooooooo good.
nick was the best
so together it was like the first gigantic foreign casting storm ever laid down in starcraft history
they weren't an archon either, no
so it was like infinite storming from two of the coolest casters back then : (
*@boesthius' FF7 nostalgia stream bomb* "we should work on a 'Final Progamer' fangame»whitera can be a protagonist---lastlie: "we save world and then defense it"
shindigs
Profile Blog Joined May 2009
United States4795 Posts
September 15 2011 06:59 GMT
#338
I believe I cited this post as a primary source for a research paper on StarCraft. One of my first articles I read on TL as well (before I registered). Always worth a reread.
Photographer@shindags || twitch.tv/shindigs
Mobius_1
Profile Blog Joined April 2011
United Kingdom2763 Posts
September 15 2011 07:16 GMT
#339
Kennigit should start a stream and show us newcomers the epic old threads of yesteryears. Of course, with epic Diablo music, qxc-style.

Also, epic story Rekrul, shame you didn't win an OSL, though
Starleague Forever. RIP KT Violet~
n.DieJokes
Profile Blog Joined November 2008
United States3443 Posts
September 15 2011 07:23 GMT
#340
I like the other telling of this story better where rekrul tells it from like a fp perspective. I think that ones more focused on poker but a good read if someone digs it and posts it along side this
MyLove + Your Love= Supa Love
Prev 1 15 16 17 18 19 20 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 5h 28m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
SortOf 65
Nina 62
StarCraft: Brood War
Rain 2355
Shinee 64
NotJumperer 15
Noble 10
Icarus 4
Dota 2
monkeys_forever1440
NeuroSwarm203
League of Legends
JimRising 673
Heroes of the Storm
WinterStarcraft566
Other Games
summit1g7167
Coldzera 754
C9.Mang0357
PiGStarcraft259
ArmadaUGS51
RuFF_SC220
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick918
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream394
[ Show 13 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• intothetv
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• Pr0nogo 1
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• lizZardDota294
League of Legends
• Lourlo1307
• Rush1053
• Stunt265
Upcoming Events
Sparkling Tuna Cup
5h 28m
Afreeca Starleague
5h 28m
Leta vs Soulkey
PiGosaur Cup
19h 28m
Kung Fu Cup
1d 6h
The PondCast
2 days
Replay Cast
2 days
CranKy Ducklings
4 days
Online Event
4 days
FEL
4 days
AI Arena Tournament
4 days
[ Show More ]
BSL: Ladder Tournament
4 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
WardiTV Weekly
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-27
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual
Stake Ranked Episode 3

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.