• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 17:37
CEST 23:37
KST 06:37
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)50Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double
Tourneys
Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) 2026 GSTL Grand Finals SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ] ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
Bot on ladder Fantasy returning? BW General Discussion ASL22 General Discussion a Announcement on the JEDI Ringing
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread All you football fans (soccer)!
Fan Clubs
MarineLorD Fan Club The Creator Fan Club The ShoWTimE Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 9548 users

GSL Low quality Non-sub - Page 33

Forum Index > SC2 General
654 CommentsPost a Reply
Prev 1 31 32 33 All
SoSexy
Profile Blog Joined February 2011
Italy3725 Posts
January 23 2015 12:30 GMT
#641
I don't know, I have been following sc2 since the day it came out and the GSL has always been the tournament with the biggest appeal to me
Dating thread on TL LUL
BlueStar
Profile Blog Joined August 2005
Bulgaria1177 Posts
January 23 2015 12:39 GMT
#642
On January 23 2015 21:29 Rocket-Bear wrote:
Show nested quote +
On January 23 2015 21:22 SoSexy wrote:
On January 23 2015 20:52 Rocket-Bear wrote:
On January 23 2015 19:54 SoSexy wrote:
GOM is the problem, I agree. If I want to introduce a friend I'll show him the highest level of play - this happens in every sport. What will he say when you can barely understand what is going on? I think he would ask 'how comes LOL proleague is free at source quality?'

Proleague is free at high on twitch and source on azubu. It's just gom that is low


I was making a comparison between two high quality tournaments, I'm sure you got my point.

I'm just saying that you could instead just show them Proleague or Starleague as in introduction instead of GSL. That's what I would do if I had any friends

Good choice. If you show them GSL and passionately talk about how good it is. I doubt you'll have friends any more. Nobody likes mad people.
Leader of the Bulgarian National SCBW/SC2 team and team pSi.SCBW/SC2
KeksX
Profile Blog Joined November 2010
Germany3634 Posts
Last Edited: 2015-01-23 13:03:17
January 23 2015 12:57 GMT
#643
On January 23 2015 19:40 alphaboss wrote:
GOM is definitely the problem.

You think GOM is the reason for low SC2 viewership? Seriously?

On January 18 2015 10:00 LingBlingBling wrote:
You guys are arguing about pointless topics. The main reason people are having issues with Gom's decision, is that every other Esport organization on twitch is providing free med to high quality, while having around 10x the viewership than Starcraft 2.


The fact that they have 10x the viewership is EXACTLY the reason why they have free HD!

It's much more easier to find sponsors that pay for your shit when you have 100k people on average watching your stream. GOM is barely scratching 20k sometimes on their high production stream. You think thats comparable?


On January 23 2015 20:16 NEEDZMOAR wrote:
Show nested quote +
On January 19 2015 17:15 BlueStar wrote:
On January 19 2015 01:14 anessie wrote:
On January 18 2015 10:00 LingBlingBling wrote:
We want starcraft 2 to gain viewership and be successful, Gom's model is a terrible way to achieve that goal IMO.


Did anyone disagree on that the previous 31 pages?


A lot of people in fact.
- not me



and by a lot of people he mean keksx.


I'm as annoyed about non-free high quality stream as you are, I'm just realizing that things aren't as sweet as they were before.
I'm realizing that in SC2 there's not going to be a huge growth of viewership anymore except for LotV maybe. I don't care about being the "big boy" in eSports. I just want to watch good SC2 and if for some leagues that means they have to have an annoying paywall, then so be it.

And finally, I realize that GOM is not the reason that SC2 viewership is dropping(if you honestly think that, then man I got no hope for you).


Orcasgt24
Profile Joined August 2011
Canada3238 Posts
January 23 2015 13:04 GMT
#644
Its too bad GSL is on at such shitty times for NA. I wonder what kind of viewership GSL would have if it was on at like 8pm EST. Maybe enough extra viewers that HD gets free again?
In Hearthstone we pray to RNGesus. When Yogg-Saron hits the field, RNGod gets to work
nicknack
Profile Joined January 2011
Australia189 Posts
January 24 2015 03:44 GMT
#645
On January 23 2015 22:04 Orcasgt24 wrote:
Its too bad GSL is on at such shitty times for NA. I wonder what kind of viewership GSL would have if it was on at like 8pm EST. Maybe enough extra viewers that HD gets free again?


I think between 40k and 60k would be average if it was on peak USA times, there was around 25k peak last night.
Maniak_
Profile Joined October 2010
France305 Posts
January 24 2015 05:44 GMT
#646
On January 24 2015 12:44 nicknack wrote:
Show nested quote +
On January 23 2015 22:04 Orcasgt24 wrote:
Its too bad GSL is on at such shitty times for NA. I wonder what kind of viewership GSL would have if it was on at like 8pm EST. Maybe enough extra viewers that HD gets free again?


I think between 40k and 60k would be average if it was on peak USA times, there was around 25k peak last night.

So do you think 15k to 35k people would watch a migraine-inducing stream of would they mostly pay to have at least the level of amateur streaming from a few years ago?

There would be more US viewers, but somehow I doubt it would more than double the current viewership
Also remember that even for EU, streaming in the middle of the work day isn't that great either. Nor is "peak USA time" for that matter.
There's just no perfect time slot that's good for everyone. That's where the good VOD system enters the scene and *may* justify paying a premium price.

But paying just to be able to watch a stream at an acceptable quality (as in better than a low-end amateur streamer from 2011)? No thanks.

I used to buy every GSL season ticket back in the day, but now there's just no way. I tried to watch the free stream, in case it would at least make me want to watch it in a better quality, but all I got was a mess of pixels over which I could hear Tastosis talking about anything but the game for the first five minutes. I can't even remember about what.
So you can't see the game and you don't hear anything about it for the longest time. Great.
Maybe it's because nothing even happens for the first few minutes in SC2 (which is arguable), but that's another issue. The starting worker count for LotV is probably not random.
Until then, either you can see what's happening, or the casters are so good that they keep you interested all game long, start to finish, and compensate for the crappy video quality.
GSL has neither.

Just what is the selling point of GSL right now, based on what's freely available?
The highest level of play? Even if it was still true, how do you hook up someone new when they can't see what's happening?
The best casters? Even if it was still true, how do you hook up someone new when they can't see what's happening and they have to wait half the game before the best casters, who may or may not be the reason for the paywall, start talking about the game that you can barely see?

Remove the Tastosis fanboys, remove the nostalgics from 2012/2013, who's left? More importantly, who's new?
"They make psychiatrists get psychoanalyzed before they can get certified, but they don't make a surgeon get cut on. Does that seem right to you?" -- Jubal Early - Firefly
KeksX
Profile Blog Joined November 2010
Germany3634 Posts
Last Edited: 2015-01-25 13:15:34
January 25 2015 13:11 GMT
#647
I wrote a huge-ass response, but then I realized I just don't care anymore. You guys believe what you want to believe, you guys stay the the way you want to be. If you don't want to see the real issue, then fine. Live and let live.

I'm just gonna say this:
GSL is not the league you show your friends when introducing them to SC2 anyway. Why? They can't tell the difference between a EU/NA pro and a KR pro anyway. You can explain anything you want, unless they know about the game they will just not see it.

So why not show them WCS instead of GSL? High production value, faces they might know from previous games, and for a newb, the same quality of games. Also much better times than GSL so they might actually, you know, be able to watch it.

On January 24 2015 14:44 Maniak_ wrote:

Remove the Tastosis fanboys, remove the nostalgics from 2012/2013, who's left? More importantly, who's new?


Ask that question for every league, please. Then you've got your answer.
ineversmile
Profile Blog Joined December 2010
United States583 Posts
January 25 2015 13:19 GMT
#648
It made me mad, at first--but then it all made sense. The stream quality matches the quality of analysis that Artosis gives: blurry and misguided. What you see in the blur is what you get from his commentary. After figuring that out, I'm not mad anymore because I don't waste my time watching GSL.
Nostradamus.146@AM, Nostradamus.398@KR, Nostradamus.922@EU http://www.teamliquid.net/blog/ins
neptunusfisk
Profile Blog Joined July 2012
2286 Posts
Last Edited: 2015-01-26 02:23:01
January 26 2015 02:03 GMT
#649
What the actual.... now even the KR vods on youtube are only the first game of every set (edit: game 2 and 3 seem to be uploaded but KR only)

maru G5L pls
Clonester
Profile Joined August 2014
Germany2808 Posts
January 27 2015 13:04 GMT
#650
I am watching SPL atm on 360p on Azubu, becaue the internet here is very slow.

This 360p looks so much better then GSL on my 1080p monitor. I can read all numbers like supply and minerals, i can cout units and see what unit is what.

I dont even understand how GSL 360p can look so bad. I still think it is lower quality then 360ü, maybe 240
Bomber, Attacker, DD, SOMEBODY, NiKo, Nex, Spidii
Dingodile
Profile Joined December 2011
4139 Posts
January 27 2015 13:27 GMT
#651
On January 27 2015 22:04 Clonester wrote:
I am watching SPL atm on 360p on Azubu, becaue the internet here is very slow.

This 360p looks so much better then GSL on my 1080p monitor. I can read all numbers like supply and minerals, i can cout units and see what unit is what.

I dont even understand how GSL 360p can look so bad. I still think it is lower quality then 360ü, maybe 240

On 360p and 480p is Azubu much much better than twitch. 720p and upwards are not really noticeable anymore.
Grubby | ToD | Moon | Lyn | Sky
dUTtrOACh
Profile Joined December 2010
Canada2339 Posts
January 30 2015 19:09 GMT
#652
On January 26 2015 11:03 neptunusfisk wrote:
What the actual.... now even the KR vods on youtube are only the first game of every set (edit: game 2 and 3 seem to be uploaded but KR only)



Looking at the number of views the VODs are getting since they did that, I'd have to say they shot themselves in the foot with that move.
twitch.tv/duttroach
rotta
Profile Joined December 2011
5653 Posts
January 30 2015 19:11 GMT
#653
On January 26 2015 11:03 neptunusfisk wrote:
What the actual.... now even the KR vods on youtube are only the first game of every set (edit: game 2 and 3 seem to be uploaded but KR only)


Whoa, that takes me back...
don't wall off against random
ilikeredheads
Profile Joined August 2011
Canada1995 Posts
January 30 2015 20:28 GMT
#654
In one corner we have GOM who is a dinsoaur still stuck in the stone age and in the other we have Blizzard who just doesn't give a fuck about it.

Has Blizzard said anything about this? No, not even a lame PR statement. It's like GOM has some dirty secrets on Blizzard or something.

Meanwhile, Spotv is offering a better product with better production values overall. Then you have OGN who previously only the free stream at 480p, now offers full HD stream for free in League Champions.
Lazare1969
Profile Joined September 2014
United States318 Posts
January 30 2015 20:37 GMT
#655
On January 27 2015 22:27 Dingodile wrote:
Show nested quote +
On January 27 2015 22:04 Clonester wrote:
I am watching SPL atm on 360p on Azubu, becaue the internet here is very slow.

This 360p looks so much better then GSL on my 1080p monitor. I can read all numbers like supply and minerals, i can cout units and see what unit is what.

I dont even understand how GSL 360p can look so bad. I still think it is lower quality then 360ü, maybe 240

On 360p and 480p is Azubu much much better than twitch. 720p and upwards are not really noticeable anymore.

I suspect the real bitrate for 360p on Azubu is higher than Twitch's 360p bitrate.

I'm not a video editing expert (yet), but I do understand enough that video bitrate is just as important as, if not more so than, the resolution.

Also, it is possible to re-encode and increase the original bitrate to a fake bitrate. For example the original source could be 500 kbps and you could re-encode it to 1 mbps.

"Exposing fake bitrate video and its original bitrate" , IEEE International Conference on Image Processing (ICIP)

As a funny example, there's this really stubborn guy on the BW forums who re-encodes 640x480 @ 900kbps live streams, upscales them to 1440x1080, jacks up the bitrate to 4.2 mbps, and advertises them as 1080p HD videos on YouTube. It probably takes his computer a few hours, while sounding like a lawn mower, to re-encode them when he could've just left them as 480p @ 900kbps and still end up with better quality. People have thanked him for his (Z)EffOrt while commenting that it's not necessary (and actually worse) to re-encode them like this, but he continues doing it.
6 trillion
Prev 1 31 32 33 All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 2h 23m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
ProTech136
Nathanias 132
Nina 108
SpeCial 50
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 12910
Bale 11
League of Legends
Doublelift2472
JimRising 368
Heroes of the Storm
Grubby4994
Khaldor1342
Liquid`Hasu710
Other Games
summit1g6844
fl0m652
shahzam485
ToD177
FrodaN172
KnowMe137
ArmadaUGS118
Mew2King73
JuggernautJason59
NeuroSwarm40
ViBE29
PPMD15
Organizations
Other Games
BasetradeTV200
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream86
[ Show 13 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• musti20045 27
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
League of Legends
• Noizen105
Other Games
• imaqtpie854
• Shiphtur220
• Scarra134
Upcoming Events
OSC
2h 23m
Stellar Fest
15h 23m
OSC
1d
CranKy Ducklings
1d 12h
Online Event
1d 13h
FEL
1d 18h
AI Arena Tournament
1d 19h
BSL: Ladder Tournament
1d 21h
Sparkling Tuna Cup
2 days
INu's Battles
2 days
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
[ Show More ]
BSL Open Qualifier
2 days
BSL Open Qualifier
2 days
Replay Cast
3 days
Afreeca Starleague
3 days
Rush vs Light
WardiTV Weekly
3 days
Replay Cast
4 days
Afreeca Starleague
4 days
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
4 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
5 days
The PondCast
6 days
INu's Battles
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-30
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.