• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 09:06
CEST 15:06
KST 22:06
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
Rollback Netcode in Brood War445.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 202621Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)78
StarCraft 2
General
5.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 2026 [Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)
Tourneys
$3,500 WardiTV Not-Summer Championship ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event RSL 2026 Offline Finals LCQ Sign-Ups Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) ISSL (IntoTheTV x SOOP SC2 League): Premier
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
BGH Auto Balance -> http://bghmmr.eu/ TL Sidebar missing streams Mineral Boosting (2 workers/patch) Rollback Netcode in Brood War [ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Simple Questions, Simple Answers Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do?
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
[Manga] One Piece Movie Discussion! Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
TeamLiquid Health and Fitness Initiative For 2023 Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 7384 users

Macro tips for mid-game?

Forum Index > StarCraft 2 Strategy
Post a Reply
1 2 Next All
Striverz-G
Profile Joined February 2010
United States63 Posts
March 03 2010 08:06 GMT
#1
My avg minerals is above 1000+ mid-game once I hit like 60 supply and increases as I battle. What are some Macro skills that the pros use?

-Hotkey every building
but in groups, the buildings don't spread out unit production sometimes (marines, marauders sometimes cue in one building
-Do you guys double tap hotkey to jump around on the map quickly? I should build this habit

I feel like I'm missing a lot more, Tips anyone?




I get it in.
Insane
Profile Blog Joined November 2003
United States4991 Posts
March 03 2010 08:12 GMT
#2
It will pick the 'best' building to build it at. Unfortunately, it treats buildings with different addons as different buildings; if you have a Barracks with Reactor grouped with a Barracks with Tech Lab, you have to make make units at the Tech Lab one, then tab in order to make the units at the Reactor one.

Yes, I use double tap hotkeys to move around when need be.
Gnarg
Profile Joined October 2009
Netherlands165 Posts
March 03 2010 08:13 GMT
#3
Im a newbie as well but I can think of 2 tips.

1. You can put all your barracks in 1 group instead. When you press the group, you will automatically only select your rax with tech lab and build from those, but with tab you switch to your reactors, and another tab switches to your barracks without addon.

2. Keep building construction facilities. Around the time you can stop SCV production the available minerals shoot up alot. Just plant down 2-3 additional barracks to macro from.
Striverz-G
Profile Joined February 2010
United States63 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-03-03 08:22:40
March 03 2010 08:19 GMT
#4
So TAB selects the sub-groups in a Hotkey?

In general, How do you guys jump from expansion to expansion?

If I want to edit a hotkey group 4, I have to CTRL+4 the group I want, then SHIFT+4 ? Is this the best way to do it?

Are there any uses for the F1 through F10 keys?

I get it in.
Gnarg
Profile Joined October 2009
Netherlands165 Posts
March 03 2010 08:21 GMT
#5
Yeah tab selects sub-groups and it pretty much works for anything. For example if you have mutiple casters in 1 control group tab will switch between them.
Striverz-G
Profile Joined February 2010
United States63 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-03-03 08:30:37
March 03 2010 08:24 GMT
#6
On March 03 2010 17:21 Gnarg wrote:
Yeah tab selects sub-groups and it pretty much works for anything. For example if you have mutiple casters in 1 control group tab will switch between them.


if I have 3 ghosts in a 50 man army (hotkeyed to 1), will it auto select each ghost with energy for me if I wanted to cast multple EMPs?
I get it in.
Insane
Profile Blog Joined November 2003
United States4991 Posts
March 03 2010 08:27 GMT
#7
Spells are smart cast, so if you cast it with multiple units it will only cast it with one of them. Tabbing will tab between different types of units instead.

I suspect (but haven't tested) that it will cast with the one which has the most energy currently...
Striverz-G
Profile Joined February 2010
United States63 Posts
March 03 2010 08:33 GMT
#8
So in a 50 man army, how do you easily different ghosts?

Hotkey the subsequent ones to a different hotkey? 2 = ghost #2, 3 = ghost#3?

I get it in.
CursOr
Profile Blog Joined January 2009
United States6335 Posts
March 03 2010 09:10 GMT
#9
Tab will let you select buildings with different attachments.
IE: [8] is 2 Facts with Tech and 2 with reactors.

It always selects the tech ones first. So with one hotkey you can
[8][S][S][Tab][E][E][E][E]
to get 2 siege and 4 hellions all being made at the same time.

As TAB will also let you sub-select different units in the same group.
If all your attack units are HotKey'd to 1, pressing Tab a few times will allow you to siege your tanks without de-selecting the whole group.
CJ forever (-_-(-_-(-_-(-_-)-_-)-_-)-_-)
CharlieMurphy
Profile Blog Joined March 2006
United States22895 Posts
March 03 2010 10:22 GMT
#10
On March 03 2010 17:27 Insane wrote:
Spells are smart cast, so if you cast it with multiple units it will only cast it with one of them. Tabbing will tab between different types of units instead.

I suspect (but haven't tested) that it will cast with the one which has the most energy currently...

no, I think it casts whichever is closest.
..and then I would, ya know, check em'. (Aka SpoR)
Mr.Pyro
Profile Blog Joined July 2008
Denmark959 Posts
March 03 2010 10:28 GMT
#11
On March 03 2010 17:33 Striverz-G wrote:
So in a 50 man army, how do you easily different ghosts?

Hotkey the subsequent ones to a different hotkey? 2 = ghost #2, 3 = ghost#3?





If you have an army of for example marines marauders and ghosts, you just select all of them and the hotkey for casting is available from having them all selected.

One hotkey = one spell, it's smartcast as in BW, and there seems to be a priority queue to this.

Anoter example could be sentries zealots and high templar mapped together

I'm farily certain that initially you would have hotkeys available for high templar

press tab --> hotkeys from sentries available. tab again --> back at HT
P⊧[1]<a>[2]<a>[3]<a>tt | P ≝ 1.a.2.a.3.a.P
Mr.Pyro
Profile Blog Joined July 2008
Denmark959 Posts
March 03 2010 10:29 GMT
#12
On March 03 2010 19:22 CharlieMurphy wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 03 2010 17:27 Insane wrote:
Spells are smart cast, so if you cast it with multiple units it will only cast it with one of them. Tabbing will tab between different types of units instead.

I suspect (but haven't tested) that it will cast with the one which has the most energy currently...

no, I think it casts whichever is closest.



I do believe it considers all of those who are in range, and cast with those in range who has the most energy!
P⊧[1]<a>[2]<a>[3]<a>tt | P ≝ 1.a.2.a.3.a.P
Mikilatov
Profile Blog Joined May 2008
United States3897 Posts
March 03 2010 11:58 GMT
#13
Yeah, I'm feeling myself getting a lot better at SC2 macro as I play. I also play T. I'm not saying what I do is correct, but here's what I do:

I personally put all my buildings of each type (rax,fact,port) on 5, 6, and 7 respectively, regardless of addons. This makes it easier for me because I don't have to change the keys if the addons change or get added. The only time I change the keys is to add more buildings to them.

While in battle, or moving around, or whatever, I'll just randomly press "5, ddd, tab, aaaaa" to make maras and marines, or "6, ss, tab, eee" to make tanks and hellions, or "7, b, tab, dddd" to make a BC and some medivacs.

Remember, once you start getting addons, tech labs are always auto-selected first when you press your hotkey (5,6,7), then reactors.

♥ I used to lasso the shit out of your tournaments =( ♥ | Much is my hero. | zizi yO~ | Be Nice, TL.
EximoSua2
Profile Blog Joined February 2010
United States216 Posts
March 03 2010 12:04 GMT
#14
On March 03 2010 20:58 Mikilatov wrote:
Yeah, I'm feeling myself getting a lot better at SC2 macro as I play. I also play T. I'm not saying what I do is correct, but here's what I do:

I personally put all my buildings of each type (rax,fact,port) on 5, 6, and 7 respectively, regardless of addons. This makes it easier for me because I don't have to change the keys if the addons change or get added. The only time I change the keys is to add more buildings to them.

While in battle, or moving around, or whatever, I'll just randomly press "5, ddd, tab, aaaaa" to make maras and marines, or "6, ss, tab, eee" to make tanks and hellions, or "7, b, tab, dddd" to make a BC and some medivacs.

Remember, once you start getting addons, tech labs are always auto-selected first when you press your hotkey (5,6,7), then reactors.




I'm still going back to my base while attacking to macro... ::ashamed::
seRapH
Profile Blog Joined April 2009
United States9830 Posts
March 03 2010 12:30 GMT
#15
On March 03 2010 21:04 EximoSua2 wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 03 2010 20:58 Mikilatov wrote:
Yeah, I'm feeling myself getting a lot better at SC2 macro as I play. I also play T. I'm not saying what I do is correct, but here's what I do:

I personally put all my buildings of each type (rax,fact,port) on 5, 6, and 7 respectively, regardless of addons. This makes it easier for me because I don't have to change the keys if the addons change or get added. The only time I change the keys is to add more buildings to them.

While in battle, or moving around, or whatever, I'll just randomly press "5, ddd, tab, aaaaa" to make maras and marines, or "6, ss, tab, eee" to make tanks and hellions, or "7, b, tab, dddd" to make a BC and some medivacs.

Remember, once you start getting addons, tech labs are always auto-selected first when you press your hotkey (5,6,7), then reactors.




I'm still going back to my base while attacking to macro... ::ashamed::


im still doing this out of habit when i play, tab is a really annoying thing to remember
boomer hands
jimbobdwayne
Profile Joined March 2010
United States53 Posts
March 03 2010 12:34 GMT
#16
Just wanted to say thanks for pointing out the Tab feature, makes it a lot easier when things get crazy imo.
Make it as simple as possible but not simpler.
Striverz-G
Profile Joined February 2010
United States63 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-03-03 13:43:30
March 03 2010 13:43 GMT
#17
Implementing TAB and double tapping important buildings/units to jump to screen locations will help a lot. Thanks guys.

Are there other macro tips?

-If you hold SHIFT with a worker you can have them build different buildings one after another right?
-How does Auto Repair work with Terran?
I get it in.
FortuneSyn
Profile Blog Joined July 2008
1826 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-03-03 14:14:25
March 03 2010 14:13 GMT
#18
On March 03 2010 22:43 Striverz-G wrote:
-If you hold SHIFT with a worker you can have them build different buildings one after another right?


Yes but I believe it takes the minerals away from the second building ur gonna build already. I.e. you tell ur SCV to build 2 supply depots 1 after the other, 200 minerals will be subtracted.
Striverz-G
Profile Joined February 2010
United States63 Posts
March 03 2010 22:04 GMT
#19
yea it won't be able to cue buildings without required minerals
I get it in.
Hammy
Profile Joined January 2009
France828 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-03-03 22:49:39
March 03 2010 22:48 GMT
#20
On March 03 2010 17:27 Insane wrote:
Spells are smart cast, so if you cast it with multiple units it will only cast it with one of them. Tabbing will tab between different types of units instead.

I suspect (but haven't tested) that it will cast with the one which has the most energy currently...

Actually from what I've seen (with queens specifically), distance is also a factor. Maybe there is a minimal distance as of which it will start looking at energy rather than distance. But the AI definitely seems to be doing a lot for us.

edit: Ah I hadn't seen murphy's response. It might only be distance then : )
1 2 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Online Event
21:00
ONSYDE Invitational
TaKeTV 230
TKL 198
CranKy Ducklings80
Big Brain Bouts
19:00
#129
Reynor vs herOLIVE!
RotterdaM1151
IndyStarCraft 199
Liquipedia
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
RotterdaM 1151
Lowko452
IndyStarCraft 199
TKL 198
Rex 100
ProTech41
MindelVK 18
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 61586
Free 2711
Jaedong 2223
BeSt 719
Horang2 323
firebathero 211
Zeus 185
Hyun 111
Last 109
Pusan 73
[ Show more ]
ToSsGirL 59
soO 26
Aegong 22
scan(afreeca) 19
Noble 14
910 13
Trap 13
Sacsri 11
zelot 9
Rock 4
Icarus 4
Dota 2
Gorgc6230
Dendi888
XaKoH 391
canceldota63
Other Games
gofns38392
singsing2406
B2W.Neo553
byalli383
Pyrionflax305
ToD203
DeMusliM123
QueenE62
Liquid`VortiX57
Beastyqt14
Organizations
Other Games
BasetradeTV223
StarCraft: Brood War
lovetv 8
[ Show 14 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• StrangeGG 26
• CranKy Ducklings SOOP22
• Gemini_19 11
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• C_a_k_e 1796
• WagamamaTV501
League of Legends
• Jankos3347
Upcoming Events
AI Arena Tournament
3h 54m
BSL: Ladder Tournament
5h 54m
Sparkling Tuna Cup
20h 54m
Patches Events
1d 1h
BSL Open Qualifier
1d 5h
BSL Open Qualifier
1d 5h
OSC
1d 22h
WardiTV Weekly
2 days
PiGosaur Cup
3 days
The PondCast
4 days
[ Show More ]
Online Event
5 days
Korean StarCraft League
6 days
Afreeca Starleague
6 days
Rush vs Soulkey
CranKy Ducklings
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
HCC Season 3
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.