• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 08:34
CEST 14:34
KST 21:34
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror6[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
Rollback Netcode in Brood War625.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 202621Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)78
StarCraft 2
General
5.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 2026 [Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)
Tourneys
RSL 2026 Offline Finals LCQ Sign-Ups $3,500 WardiTV Not-Summer Championship ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) ISSL (IntoTheTV x SOOP SC2 League): Premier
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
ChatGPT cheats at StarSkirmish SCAI tournament BW General Discussion Rollback Netcode in Brood War TL Sidebar missing streams [ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Simple Questions, Simple Answers Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do?
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25!
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Canadian Politics Mega-thread US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
[Manga] One Piece Movie Discussion! Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread TeamLiquid Health and Fitness Initiative For 2023 MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 6456 users

Why is TL so awesome?

Forum Index > General Forum
Post a Reply
1 2 3 4 5 Next All
hubfub
Profile Blog Joined December 2007
Australia352 Posts
May 30 2009 15:14 GMT
#1
OK so I've always wondered this - TL is such a massive active SC community - I mean I think its the biggest SC fansite that exists? (correct me here if I'm wrong)

Anyway we all know why TL is so fucking awesome today but having only joined up in 07 I've always wondered how and when TL started and what made TL so big and popular as it is today - what was it like in the beginning?
ToT)OjKa(
Profile Blog Joined May 2007
Korea (South)2437 Posts
May 30 2009 15:19 GMT
#2
FUCK YEAH
OjKa OjKa OjKa!
ilovezil
Profile Blog Joined August 2006
United States4143 Posts
May 30 2009 15:22 GMT
#3
If you really want to look at some of the old old threads, click the individual forum tabs and change the "Show 14 days" setting to "Show All". You'll find tons of history buried within the recesses and archives of this site. Also check out the Articles section, which contains some legendary threads!
Garnet
Profile Blog Joined February 2006
Vietnam9056 Posts
May 30 2009 15:23 GMT
#4
No bigass avatars!.
hubfub
Profile Blog Joined December 2007
Australia352 Posts
May 30 2009 15:24 GMT
#5
On May 31 2009 00:22 ilovezil wrote:
If you really want to look at some of the old old threads, click the individual forum tabs and change the "Show 14 days" setting to "Show All". You'll find tons of history buried within the recesses and archives of this site. Also check out the Articles section, which contains some legendary threads!



although I would love to I dont have that many hours in the day to look through all the old stuff - I was hoping one of the veterans here could sum this up for me :D
jjun212
Profile Joined December 2004
Canada2208 Posts
Last Edited: 2009-05-30 15:30:34
May 30 2009 15:28 GMT
#6
On May 31 2009 00:14 hubfub wrote:
OK so I've always wondered this - TL is such a massive active SC community - I mean I think its the biggest SC fansite that exists? (correct me here if I'm wrong)

Anyway we all know why TL is so fucking awesome today but having only joined up in 07 I've always wondered how and when TL started and what made TL so big and popular as it is today - what was it like in the beginning?


Yooo

I wonder how TL started too

I forgot how this forum looked like when I first came but I'm sure everything on the right side of the website wasn't there.

My profile says I joined in 2004 but I was lurking around before then.
I don't even play or watch SC anymore but I'm still here =D

*I think I came to TL.net when players like HovZ, FroZ, Grrrr..., Assem, Rek, FF)JianG[tC], etc.. were still playing and were pretty big in our SC community.
KOFgokuon
Profile Blog Joined August 2004
United States14912 Posts
May 30 2009 15:29 GMT
#7
because.
ilovezil
Profile Blog Joined August 2006
United States4143 Posts
May 30 2009 15:31 GMT
#8
This site was actually a lot like the typical bw clan site with the same color backgrounds. It's just through proper site maintenance policies and a slow but fostering community that eventually grew from a small ember to a blazing inferno fueled by passionate translators, ardent battlereporters, and a sort of "laizze faire", but ban when appropriate policy by moderators.

That, pretty much in a nutshell.
ilovezil
Profile Blog Joined August 2006
United States4143 Posts
May 30 2009 15:33 GMT
#9
Oh, and do check out the articles section as i recommended, no matter how little time you have, you should at least check out the forever-archived threads that made it into the hall of fame.
jjun212
Profile Joined December 2004
Canada2208 Posts
May 30 2009 15:33 GMT
#10
On May 31 2009 00:31 ilovezil wrote:
This site was actually a lot like the typical bw clan site with the same color backgrounds. It's just through proper site maintenance policies and a slow but fostering community that eventually grew from a small ember to a blazing inferno fueled by passionate translators, ardent battlereporters, and a sort of "laizze faire", but ban when appropriate policy by moderators.

That, pretty much in a nutshell.


Yes! That is how I remembered the earlier TL days =)

Also; the replays were awesome. I was trying to find replays earlier on to learn new strategies and counters and watch pros, etc.. but had a hard time finding stuff (before ygclan) but TL had an awesome database.
SilentNoodle
Profile Blog Joined March 2009
Australia290 Posts
May 30 2009 15:34 GMT
#11
i support this thread.
furymonkey
Profile Joined December 2008
New Zealand1587 Posts
Last Edited: 2009-05-30 15:43:45
May 30 2009 15:43 GMT
#12
TL is awesome.

One thing I don't like is the banner. Can someone explain why is the banner are made out of bunch of white horse? What are their meaning and how they came about?

Everytime when I surf at uni I always quickly scroll down to avoid other seening it. :p

Cheers!
Leenock the Punisher
ilovezil
Profile Blog Joined August 2006
United States4143 Posts
May 30 2009 16:12 GMT
#13
Sure, you are not talking about the divinity that watches TL from the baby-blue background skies? The pony stays!
538
Profile Blog Joined November 2008
Hungary3932 Posts
May 30 2009 16:14 GMT
#14
On May 31 2009 00:23 Garnet wrote:
No bigass avatars!.
The mistery of TL has been solved.
BW fighting!
Scorch
Profile Blog Joined March 2008
Austria3371 Posts
May 30 2009 16:16 GMT
#15
It sure is interesting how it all transformed from a clan homepage to a news/community site. The clan itself is more or less dead, but the community lives on.
konadora *
Profile Blog Joined February 2009
Singapore66365 Posts
May 30 2009 16:17 GMT
#16
On May 31 2009 00:22 ilovezil wrote:
If you really want to look at some of the old old threads, click the individual forum tabs and change the "Show 14 days" setting to "Show All". You'll find tons of history buried within the recesses and archives of this site. Also check out the Articles section, which contains some legendary threads!

Lol I did that a month ago... man those threads had like 1-2 replies rofl
POGGERS
FieryBalrog
Profile Blog Joined July 2007
United States1381 Posts
May 30 2009 16:18 GMT
#17
TL is a lot bigger now than it was in the past. I used to lurk for a year or so.
I will eat you alive
Oedi
Profile Joined December 2008
Canada265 Posts
May 30 2009 16:22 GMT
#18
because it gives out awesome birthday icons :D
ilovezil
Profile Blog Joined August 2006
United States4143 Posts
May 30 2009 16:33 GMT
#19
On May 31 2009 01:17 konadora wrote:
Show nested quote +
On May 31 2009 00:22 ilovezil wrote:
If you really want to look at some of the old old threads, click the individual forum tabs and change the "Show 14 days" setting to "Show All". You'll find tons of history buried within the recesses and archives of this site. Also check out the Articles section, which contains some legendary threads!

Lol I did that a month ago... man those threads had like 1-2 replies rofl


Ya, like i said, Teamliquid was a lot like the typical BW clan site back in those days. Lots of idle banter and way less replies than what we see today, obviously.

It's crazy actually. It almost inspires me to make a thread on the history of this site :p
LaLuSh
Profile Blog Joined April 2003
Sweden2358 Posts
Last Edited: 2009-05-30 16:37:27
May 30 2009 16:36 GMT
#20
On May 31 2009 00:43 furymonkey wrote:
TL is awesome.

One thing I don't like is the banner. Can someone explain why is the banner are made out of bunch of white horse? What are their meaning and how they came about?

Everytime when I surf at uni I always quickly scroll down to avoid other seening it. :p

Cheers!


Always as hilarious everytime someone brings up the horses (and it's been done alot through the years).

I honestly don't know about the horses. Just that it's been discussed and that by now they're considered an integral part of TL.

Whatever you do though, don't try finding out how rank icons work! Attempting to unlock TLs secrets can lead you straight into some fucked up shit.
1 2 3 4 5 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Sparkling Tuna Cup
19:00
Weekly #150 (SHIN Mod Edition)
herO vs ByuNLIVE!
CranKy Ducklings243
SHIN 153
CranKy Ducklings SOOP48
LiquipediaDiscussion
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
mouzHeroMarine 422
ByuN 354
SHIN 153
Railgan 48
MindelVK 25
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 71934
Calm 11052
Rain 2456
Bisu 1523
FanTaSy 806
Shuttle 575
soO 558
Stork 543
Rush 274
Soma 241
[ Show more ]
firebathero 209
Snow 207
Last 177
Light 102
Mind 94
Pusan 75
ToSsGirL 51
Sharp 49
Killer 46
hero 42
Bale 40
Free 39
sorry 36
Trap 36
Mong 30
Hm[arnc] 27
Aegong 26
zelot 22
yabsab 16
HiyA 14
Sacsri 13
Shine 12
Noble 12
Sexy 11
IntoTheRainbow 9
scan(afreeca) 7
Dota 2
Gorgc9010
Dendi627
Counter-Strike
fl0m1636
byalli864
x6flipin381
Super Smash Bros
Mew2King99
Other Games
gofns33954
singsing2280
B2W.Neo599
Pyrionflax249
Trikslyr31
Chillindude10
Organizations
Other Games
BasetradeTV231
[ Show 16 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• 3DClanTV 92
• Gemini_19 13
• Dystopia_ 4
• Response 1
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• WagamamaTV525
League of Legends
• Jankos3045
• Nemesis1719
Counter-Strike
• C_a_k_e 1270
Upcoming Events
Patches Events
2h 26m
BSL Open Qualifier
6h 26m
BSL Open Qualifier
6h 26m
OSC
10h 26m
Replay Cast
10h 26m
OSC
23h 26m
WardiTV Weekly
1d 22h
PiGosaur Cup
2 days
Kung Fu Cup
2 days
The PondCast
3 days
[ Show More ]
Online Event
4 days
Korean StarCraft League
5 days
Afreeca Starleague
5 days
Rush vs Soulkey
CranKy Ducklings
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
HCC Season 3
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.