• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 12:56
CEST 18:56
KST 01:56
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup9StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)71Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2316
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Back to SC2 after 14 years - Protoss CTRL groups? October World Ranking: herO stays #1, ByuN returns
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ]
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
20-year-old Valorant player starting StarCraft Sagi.gg Launcher Released Fantasy returning? Bot on ladder [ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 2v2v2v2 Tournament
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Canadian Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8056 users

National Novel Writing Month (nanowrimo)

Forum Index > General Forum
Post a Reply
1 2 3 Next All
Loser777
Profile Blog Joined January 2008
1931 Posts
November 01 2010 02:42 GMT
#1

from nanowrimo's about page
National Novel Writing Month is a fun, seat-of-your-pants approach to novel writing. Participants begin writing November 1. The goal is to write a 175-page (50,000-word) novel by midnight, November 30.

Valuing enthusiasm and perseverance over painstaking craft, NaNoWriMo is a novel-writing program for everyone who has thought fleetingly about writing a novel but has been scared away by the time and effort involved.

Because of the limited writing window, the ONLY thing that matters in NaNoWriMo is output. It's all about quantity, not quality. The kamikaze approach forces you to lower your expectations, take risks, and write on the fly.

Make no mistake: You will be writing a lot of crap. And that's a good thing. By forcing yourself to write so intensely, you are giving yourself permission to make mistakes. To forgo the endless tweaking and editing and just create. To build without tearing down.

As you spend November writing, you can draw comfort from the fact that, all around the world, other National Novel Writing Month participants are going through the same joys and sorrows of producing the Great Frantic Novel. Wrimos meet throughout the month to offer encouragement, commiseration, and—when the thing is done—the kind of raucous celebrations that tend to frighten animals and small children.

In 2009, we had over 165,000 participants. More than 30,000 of them crossed the 50K finish line by the midnight deadline, entering into the annals of NaNoWriMo superstardom forever. They started the month as auto mechanics, out-of-work actors, and middle school English teachers. They walked away novelists.


Who's participating this year? (There's officially 30 days, 4 hours, and 19 minutes remaining for 50,000 words at the writing of this post). I've had some trippy psychological Christophe Nolan style stories lined out in the past, but it seems I've never gotten enough motivation to dive in. I write ~650 word short stories on a regular basis though for school.

6581
micronesia
Profile Blog Joined July 2006
United States24803 Posts
November 01 2010 02:44 GMT
#2
That's cool. I personally found one of the barriers to writing was to actually overcome personal internal resistance and get started. This basically tells you 'too bad, just write' which is what many people probably need. If I had more time in general I'd definitely be willing to give it a shot.
ModeratorThere are animal crackers for people and there are people crackers for animals.
Loser777
Profile Blog Joined January 2008
1931 Posts
November 01 2010 02:45 GMT
#3
I really wish that this would be moved to like April since November is College App season for seniors -.-;
6581
micronesia
Profile Blog Joined July 2006
United States24803 Posts
November 01 2010 02:47 GMT
#4
How about a TL version to make a much shorter work? What would be appropriate? I think if it increased TL's participation that would be pretty cool.
ModeratorThere are animal crackers for people and there are people crackers for animals.
fatvirgin90
Profile Joined September 2010
United States71 Posts
November 01 2010 02:58 GMT
#5
dam way better than my thread.

yea im participating. pumped to start typing away in 1 hour
I am a fat virgin.
TheYukoner
Profile Blog Joined March 2010
Canada80 Posts
November 01 2010 03:08 GMT
#6
This is going to be my first time participating and I'm excited
Accer
Profile Joined May 2010
Korea (South)319 Posts
November 01 2010 03:14 GMT
#7
I participated last year but only got about 40% through, unfortunately at the time I had a writing course and simply couldn't balance the two. Since I don't have any writing courses this semester I'm fairly confident I can do much better this time.

I highly recommend this to anyone who either enjoys writing but has never had the motivation to finish a full story. NaNoWriMo is a ton of fun and a great way to accomplish something to be be pretty proud of. Not to mention it's a great community with lots of resources and like minded writers!

Vanka
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
China1336 Posts
November 01 2010 03:28 GMT
#8
My friend was thinking about doing this, but said she would probably go crazy balancing this with all the other schoolwork. As a joke, I said I'd do it if she did it.

She's doing it. fml.
CheezDip
Profile Joined June 2010
126 Posts
November 01 2010 03:53 GMT
#9
This is the first I've heard of the challenge; sounds awesome. I have a novel floating around in my head but unfortunately I don't see myself having the time this month to write anything. Also still a bit bummed that I didn't win a runner-up prize in blizzard's creative writing contest... not that I should have expected to win since I'm not a seasoned writer and it was only the second story I've attempted to write.

Maybe next year I'll participate; if not, I could see myself picking an arbitrary month to do this on my own.
infinitestory
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
United States4053 Posts
November 01 2010 07:47 GMT
#10
I have a novel I somewhat want to write, but I wrote the first five chapters about half a year ago. zzzzzzz sounds interesting though, I'll make a mental note to consider this if I get any inspiration.
Translator:3
defenestrate
Profile Blog Joined March 2007
United States579 Posts
November 01 2010 08:01 GMT
#11
Failed several times. Trying again this year.
We believe that we invent symbols. The truth is that they invent us; we are their creatures, shaped by their hard, defining edges.
Coagulation
Profile Blog Joined July 2006
United States9633 Posts
November 01 2010 08:05 GMT
#12
can i write my novel here?
Dark.Carnival
Profile Blog Joined November 2006
United States5095 Posts
November 01 2010 08:19 GMT
#13
Did it last year (and reached 50k words). Not sure if I'm going to this time, I really should though because I've been really slacking in my writing since sc2 beta + its release >< So this might help nudge me back into writing.
@QxGDarkCell ._.
Daeizer
Profile Joined May 2010
France20 Posts
November 01 2010 09:37 GMT
#14
First time I heard of it but it sounds like fun, i'm definitely going to try that.
Get ready for an awful, ridiculous and crazy sci/fi novel

Good luke to all the other participants.
o[twist]
Profile Joined May 2008
United States4903 Posts
November 01 2010 09:46 GMT
#15
first time. good luck everyone
BLINKOFF
Profile Blog Joined August 2010
United States79 Posts
November 01 2010 22:39 GMT
#16
2nd time for me! GL HF GG!!!
Starcraft isn't a game, its a religion.
Musoeun
Profile Blog Joined March 2009
United States4324 Posts
November 01 2010 22:41 GMT
#17
I did it last year, but got derailed by moving back from Korea (I think I got to about 30K?).

This year I'm starting a new job, but I'm going for it anyway. Though if the site were ever accessible that would be good too.
Don't Shoot the Penguins. | Dance, 성은, dance! | Killer FanKlub | Action sucks. | Storm Terran hwaiting.
Piy
Profile Blog Joined January 2008
Scotland3152 Posts
November 01 2010 22:49 GMT
#18
hmmm, might do this right now actually. Sounds fun.
My. Copy. Is. Here.
LSB
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
United States5171 Posts
November 01 2010 22:54 GMT
#19
On November 01 2010 11:47 micronesia wrote:
How about a TL version to make a much shorter work? What would be appropriate? I think if it increased TL's participation that would be pretty cool.

That would be an awsome idea. I would definatly participate
Once is an accident. Twice is coincidence. Three times is an enemy action. Bus Driver can never target themselves I'm sorry
Dienosore
Profile Blog Joined July 2010
Brunei Darussalam622 Posts
November 02 2010 01:04 GMT
#20
How about this?

Three different categories:

Hardcore mode: The regular challenge, 175 pages or 50,000 words by midnight Nov. 30.

Normal mode: Moderate challenge, 100 pages or 28,000 words by midnight Nov. 30.

Easy mode: A relatively easy and fun challenge, 50 pages or 14,000 words by midnight Nov. 30.


I'd be willing to make a new thread and keep it up to date if you guys send me pm's or whatever letting me know what mode you are trying and maybe a bit of direction concerning your story.

Poll: Good idea?

Yes (7)
 
70%

No (3)
 
30%

10 total votes

Your vote: Good idea?

(Vote): Yes
(Vote): No

1 2 3 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Monday Night Weeklies
01:00
#66
RotterdaM604
TaKeTV 238
IndyStarCraft 120
LiquipediaDiscussion
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
TKL 2068
RotterdaM 604
ByuN 260
MaxPax 153
IndyStarCraft 120
BRAT_OK 102
UpATreeSC 30
StarCraft: Brood War
Calm 3578
Shuttle 850
Stork 408
Mini 387
EffOrt 314
Horang2 229
Rush 217
Mind 158
Dewaltoss 100
910 78
[ Show more ]
Mong 75
Zeus 70
hero 60
Snow 53
Shinee 40
JYJ 35
HiyA 35
sorry 31
Bale 28
ToSsGirL 23
Killer 20
Terrorterran 15
Sexy 11
zelot 11
scan(afreeca) 10
Sacsri 8
Dota 2
Gorgc5845
qojqva2823
Counter-Strike
fl0m4955
Fnx 689
pashabiceps6
Heroes of the Storm
Grubby231
Other Games
singsing2218
Beastyqt659
ceh9540
Hui .214
XaKoH 151
Trikslyr77
QueenE57
Chillindude27
Organizations
Other Games
BasetradeTV199
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream23
[ Show 12 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• StrangeGG 22
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• iopq 26
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Other Games
• Shiphtur278
• WagamamaTV41
Upcoming Events
Replay Cast
6h 4m
Afreeca Starleague
17h 4m
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
18h 4m
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
1d 7h
Patches Events
1d 23h
The PondCast
2 days
INu's Battles
2 days
Percival vs TBD
TBD vs herO
OSC
3 days
Replay Cast
4 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
5 days
[ Show More ]
Sparkling Tuna Cup
5 days
Patches Events
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
HCC Season 3
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.