• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 09:41
CEST 15:41
KST 22:41
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror6[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
Rollback Netcode in Brood War645.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 202621Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)78
StarCraft 2
General
5.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 2026 [Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)
Tourneys
RSL 2026 Offline Finals LCQ Sign-Ups $3,500 WardiTV Not-Summer Championship ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) ISSL (IntoTheTV x SOOP SC2 League): Premier
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
Rollback Netcode in Brood War ChatGPT cheats at StarSkirmish SCAI tournament BW General Discussion TL Sidebar missing streams [ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror
Tourneys
[Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Semifinal A [ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Simple Questions, Simple Answers Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do?
Other Games
General Games
Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25!
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
[Manga] One Piece Movie Discussion! Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread TeamLiquid Health and Fitness Initiative For 2023 MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8780 users

{ Ng5 } - Chess - Main Thread - Page 2

Forum Index > General Games
Post a Reply
Prev 1 2 3 Next All
KahunaNui
Profile Joined October 2010
Spain257 Posts
February 28 2011 09:09 GMT
#21
I'm curious about something, Ng5, will all your contributions be very high level? I'm an amateur myself and I'm excited that there is this passion for chess in TL.
Q. You've been criticized for using cheesy builds in the past, but now people are saying that you've played some good games today. A. I'm glad that they think that way, but that won't stop me from using cheesy builds.(oGsHyperdub)
Ng5
Profile Joined December 2009
702 Posts
March 16 2011 16:17 GMT
#22
GOT MY EFFIN MODEM FINALLY FINALLY FINALLY FINALLY!!!

Oh my motherfucking god. Good internet finally.

How about some event next weekend? Some six hours of drinking marathon? Each time I beat someone titled I have to take a shot?

C'mon. I've never been wasted my whole life it's best starting on stream, eh?

FINALLY!

Fuck wifi.

Boo-yah.
popzags
Profile Blog Joined January 2011
Poland604 Posts
March 16 2011 16:31 GMT
#23
Fuck yeah, Ng5 is backl!
What what the the fuck fuck? That blew my mind so much, I doubled every word in the phrase 'What the fuck' to get: 'What what the the fuck fuck my what the the fuck fucking what did the drop dropship medivac where in the what in the hell?' - Day[9]
Dr. Von Derful
Profile Blog Joined December 2010
United States363 Posts
March 23 2011 01:20 GMT
#24
On March 17 2011 01:17 Ng5 wrote:
GOT MY EFFIN MODEM FINALLY FINALLY FINALLY FINALLY!!!

Oh my motherfucking god. Good internet finally.

How about some event next weekend? Some six hours of drinking marathon? Each time I beat someone titled I have to take a shot?

C'mon. I've never been wasted my whole life it's best starting on stream, eh?

FINALLY!

Fuck wifi.

Boo-yah.


did I miss drunken chess?
Rybka
Profile Joined March 2010
United States836 Posts
March 23 2011 02:38 GMT
#25
On March 17 2011 01:31 popzags wrote:
Fuck yeah, Ng5 is backl!


Welcome back Ng5!
"I like winter, you can put a beer outside of the window and come back later to have it nice and cold. But in Belgium, it'd better be the 3rd floor window." -Rowa
Lightningbullet
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
United States507 Posts
March 23 2011 02:42 GMT
#26
Issue me a challenge on chess.com
My username is alearthcore19
Please, no experts! I would prefer if you are around the 1400-1600 range. My rating is 1209 but only because I lose games on time
BoxeR is AWESOME!!!!//Proud 2nd Member of the BW>SC2 club.
Dr. Von Derful
Profile Blog Joined December 2010
United States363 Posts
March 23 2011 02:49 GMT
#27
On March 23 2011 11:42 Lightningbullet wrote:
Issue me a challenge on chess.com
My username is alearthcore19
Please, no experts! I would prefer if you are around the 1400-1600 range. My rating is 1209 but only because I lose games on time


I'll play you in a correspondence game, you should be able to live with 3 days per move

I'm not the best, I only have a USCF rating of ~1400 (somewhere around there), but I never really attended tournaments during HS, but I've gotten back in to the swing of things and plan to attend some tournaments here in the future in Philadelphia. I'll help you improve if you want.
emperorchampion
Profile Blog Joined December 2008
Canada9496 Posts
March 23 2011 02:50 GMT
#28
Please wait until say... after April 16th
TRUEESPORTS || your days as a respected member of team liquid are over
GolemMadness
Profile Blog Joined September 2010
Canada11044 Posts
March 23 2011 03:31 GMT
#29
My CFC and FIDE are both around 2200. I will play somebody. -_-;
http://na.op.gg/summoner/userName=FLABREZU
Lightningbullet
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
United States507 Posts
March 24 2011 03:38 GMT
#30
On March 23 2011 12:31 GolemMadness wrote:
My CFC and FIDE are both around 2200. I will play somebody. -_-;

:O Most players NEVER get THAT good. :O
BoxeR is AWESOME!!!!//Proud 2nd Member of the BW>SC2 club.
Ng5
Profile Joined December 2009
702 Posts
March 31 2011 07:17 GMT
#31
Still no freaking DSL. I'm buying the axe. Or the chainsaw.

Whoa wait a minute... Chrome doesn't know the word axe...
Ng5
Profile Joined December 2009
702 Posts
April 02 2011 01:46 GMT
#32
I haz interwebz.

I'll think of a good comeback.


<3 my nerds
IzieBoy
Profile Blog Joined November 2010
United States865 Posts
April 02 2011 01:51 GMT
#33
I like chess too. I suck at it though.
Let's Do This! Leeeeeeeeeeeeeroy Jenkins!
Ng5
Profile Joined December 2009
702 Posts
April 02 2011 02:03 GMT
#34
KahunaNui wrote:
I'm curious about something, Ng5, will all your contributions be very high level? I'm an amateur myself and I'm excited that there is this passion for chess in TL.


Hopefully not. I like to beguile myself by thinking I give insights to all different ranges. Personally I do believe I can learn something from everyone, even from the weakest players out there, and sometimes not even the best can teach you something new. Let me get my impulse back and we're good to go.

Babyfactory wrote:
did I miss drunken chess?


Nope. It would be a ton of fun, but given the fact that I don't drink, the chances are growing thin.


emperorchampion wrote:
Please wait until say... after April 16th


I will probably try figure everything out this weekend. Meaning new stream provider that runs from my netbook without any problems, the amount of time I can save up for chess, etc. I would like to play and stream tomorrow, but I really am not sure I'll be able to. At most I hope I can get my act together till next Saturday. I know I've been a slacker lately TL-wise.

Sometimes I also feel I could contribute more to other threads, but I'm kind of a lurker person and frankly... Not many people take their sweet two seconds to really think about let alone understand what I write about - even on TL. If the shoe doesn't fit...

That doesn't mean I don't love you all.
DrSeRRoD
Profile Joined October 2010
United States490 Posts
April 16 2011 13:11 GMT
#35
Hey Ng5, did you (or anyone else for that matter) happen to record that 24hr session that you ran a few weeks back? I am really interested in being able to catch up and watch it over a few days since I missed a good deal of it and really want to get back into Chess after a 16 year hiatus. I would love to devote some study time per day starting later this year, or next, and crank out a 2200 rating for NM title in the coming 10 years but being in my 30s, that goal seems harder and harder as the time goes by and 'kids' these days come in the NM/IM/GM variety shortly after birth.

Am I doomed? I should set my goals on just playing for fun and beating the 'average' 1200 raters during some OTB fun? Looking forward to more streams/feedback from you!
KahunaNui
Profile Joined October 2010
Spain257 Posts
May 11 2011 11:20 GMT
#36
Dear Ng5, I'd like to ask how do you deal as black against a very early knight sac of7 after your nickname, that is Ng5.

Something like: 1e4... 2Bc4... 3Nf3... 4Ng5!?... 5 Nxf7 Kxf7 (I don't write the black's moves because there are several variations).

I'm very unconfortable in this situation, my king is exposed and also contributes to a bad pieces communication. His diagonals are open, his centre is fine, all this for the price of a knight for the f7 pawn.
Q. You've been criticized for using cheesy builds in the past, but now people are saying that you've played some good games today. A. I'm glad that they think that way, but that won't stop me from using cheesy builds.(oGsHyperdub)
Ng5
Profile Joined December 2009
702 Posts
July 16 2011 15:55 GMT
#37
Okay guys, here's some updates.

I will be back in from September. I will start streaming regulary, because it will finally be the first time I will have had good internet in 12 months. My campus internet screwed me up so much (and you can guess the speed they were repairing it with) that I couldn't even call home on Skype for eight months or so. (Of course they installed a new hotspot in my apartment the day I was moving out.)

I will do coverage for the US Chess Leagues explicitly for TL, which will either happen live, or if my timetable will not let it it will be a weekend coverage of games of the week. Either case it should be several hours weekly, by some very good players - some of which I have personal experience about.

Aside from that I want to start up kind of a 'state of the game' style streaming, it would be dual-weekly, most likely around 2-4 hours (from my previous experiences at least 4) of game/opening/position analysis or random rant on game psychology and other stuff.

I don't know if I myself will keep playing, I don't really feel like playing lately, but I really love teaching and talking about chess, so the rest is not much in danger. (Given I'll get proper internet *rant rant rant*).

I also have a special event in my mind which I will unveil later.

Until then I will try checking my mailbox and threads, so feel free to message me about anything. I will also try and cover the things that I neglected (meaning previous questions in my threads I have answered yet).

Anyway, this is getting longer than expected already.

Peace out,
Me
DrSeRRoD
Profile Joined October 2010
United States490 Posts
July 16 2011 15:59 GMT
#38
Look forward to it!
Zona
Profile Blog Joined May 2007
40426 Posts
July 17 2011 06:26 GMT
#39
Sounds good. I also am looking forward to it.
"If you try responding to those absurd posts every day, you become more damaged. So I pay no attention to them at all." Jung Myung Hoon (aka Fantasy), as translated by Kimoleon
mprs
Profile Joined April 2010
Canada2933 Posts
July 17 2011 06:38 GMT
#40
Looking forward to it! I'm just starting into chess!
We talkin about PRACTICE
Prev 1 2 3 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 1h 19m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
Railgan 73
Codebar 21
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 65306
Bisu 3361
FanTaSy 1360
Stork 774
Rush 386
firebathero 254
Snow 216
Mind 122
hero 120
Last 113
[ Show more ]
Free 81
Sharp 77
Pusan 62
Sea.KH 59
Sexy 54
ToSsGirL 42
Trap 39
Hm[arnc] 33
Bale 33
Mong 27
Terrorterran 20
yabsab 18
Aegong 17
Rock 15
Noble 15
zelot 14
HiyA 11
Shine 9
IntoTheRainbow 8
Sacsri 8
scan(afreeca) 7
Icarus 6
Dota 2
Gorgc7258
Dendi1160
Counter-Strike
fl0m2580
byalli1087
Super Smash Bros
Mew2King91
Other Games
gofns38397
singsing2302
Liquid`RaSZi873
B2W.Neo555
Beastyqt426
Happy300
Pyrionflax261
Mlord257
Hui .210
Khaldor127
Chillindude19
Organizations
Other Games
BasetradeTV247
[ Show 14 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• 3DClanTV 101
• Dystopia_ 4
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• WagamamaTV516
League of Legends
• Nemesis3207
• Jankos2903
Counter-Strike
• C_a_k_e 1478
Upcoming Events
Patches Events
1h 19m
BSL Open Qualifier
5h 19m
BSL Open Qualifier
5h 19m
OSC
9h 19m
Replay Cast
9h 19m
OSC
22h 19m
WardiTV Weekly
1d 21h
PiGosaur Cup
2 days
Kung Fu Cup
2 days
The PondCast
3 days
[ Show More ]
Online Event
4 days
Korean StarCraft League
5 days
Afreeca Starleague
5 days
Rush vs Soulkey
CranKy Ducklings
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
HCC Season 3
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.