• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 08:43
CEST 14:43
KST 21:43
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)41Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double Recent Patches and the Future
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) 2026 GSTL Grand Finals SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ] ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
Fantasy returning? BW General Discussion ASL22 General Discussion Bot on ladder a Announcement on the JEDI Ringing
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine All you football fans (soccer)! Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
MarineLorD Fan Club The Creator Fan Club The ShoWTimE Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 9917 users

Cheap Cars = low paying Jobs(but jobs!)

Forum Index > Closed
Post a Reply
Normal
thane
Profile Blog Joined August 2010
United States407 Posts
July 16 2011 22:11 GMT
#1
http://finance.yahoo.com/news/With-Chevrolet-Sonic-GM-and-nytimes-3082900830.html?x=0&.v=1

This artical talks about how this is the first Economy car made in the US in a long time and how GM hasnt made one in the US since the Chevette. I read the article and then some of the responses to the article. I have a question for people out there is it better to have a job where you make half of what you should (EX. $30K instead of 60) or would you rather not have a job at all?

I feel that the way everyone in the US expects a raise is the reason companies are leaving the US(among other reasons). Please give your poll answer and leave your thoughts.

Poll: Job or no Job?

Job at $30,000 thats worth 60,000 (24)
 
71%

No job (10)
 
29%

34 total votes

Your vote: Job or no Job?

(Vote): Job at $30,000 thats worth 60,000
(Vote): No job



Shigy
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
United States346 Posts
July 16 2011 22:13 GMT
#2
wtf poll
HellRoxYa
Profile Joined September 2010
Sweden1614 Posts
July 16 2011 22:16 GMT
#3
Your poll is dependant on "Can I find job at 60k$?" (It's more like anything above 30k but sitll)

If yes, "no job" is the answer to the poll.
ComusLoM
Profile Blog Joined October 2009
Norway3547 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-07-16 22:17:08
July 16 2011 22:16 GMT
#4
Anyone who says they'd rather have no job hasn't had experienced being jobless without the support of parents.

But your OP makes very little sense.
"The White Woman Speaks in Tongues That Are All Lies" - Incontrol; Member #37 of the Chill Fanclub
Relickey
Profile Joined September 2010
United States145 Posts
July 16 2011 22:16 GMT
#5
Hmm... A job or no job? I think I'd rather $30k a year than $0 a year.
Beaches and shores
Gnial
Profile Blog Joined July 2010
Canada907 Posts
July 16 2011 22:18 GMT
#6
This poll doesn't really make any sense.
1, eh? 2, eh? 3, eh?
thane
Profile Blog Joined August 2010
United States407 Posts
July 16 2011 22:19 GMT
#7
On July 17 2011 07:16 HellRoxYa wrote:
Your poll is dependant on "Can I find job at 60k$?" (It's more like anything above 30k but sitll)

If yes, "no job" is the answer to the poll.



No its pretty self explanatory. Would you rather be jobless or have a job you get half of what you should make. The article says the average salary of auto union workers is roughly 60k and that this new factory is paying 30k so would you rather have a job at that wage or sit on the couch with no money?
acker
Profile Joined September 2010
United States2958 Posts
July 16 2011 22:26 GMT
#8
Poll doesn't make sense.
BlackJack
Profile Blog Joined June 2003
United States10574 Posts
July 16 2011 22:35 GMT
#9
The poll is so dumb it's asking to be trolled.
Shockk
Profile Blog Joined July 2010
Germany2269 Posts
July 16 2011 22:35 GMT
#10
Your OP lacks a coherent description of the issue at hand, and the title is misleading as well. If you had just created a poll asking whether people would take jobs at half the regular wage or not, then things would have been a lot clearer.

On topic: As I have no idea about the living expenses in the US, I can't judge whether 14$ / hour could be a wage to live off or wouldn't be worth the effort. In general, having a job beats being unemployed, especially since there are more benefits to being employed than just having an income.
SpoR
Profile Blog Joined November 2010
United States1542 Posts
July 16 2011 22:39 GMT
#11
he poll should just say a job a regular salary or half salary. ofc im going to take a job im poor as shit
A man is what he thinks about all day long.
thane
Profile Blog Joined August 2010
United States407 Posts
July 16 2011 22:39 GMT
#12
I guess I should have taken more time but it seems pretty clear to me...
MoonfireSpam
Profile Blog Joined September 2010
United Kingdom1153 Posts
July 16 2011 22:41 GMT
#13
If everyone is only paying $30k for the job, then isn't that what it is worth? I know I'm simple but...
Eknoid4
Profile Joined October 2010
United States902 Posts
July 16 2011 22:42 GMT
#14
ITT: children posting about jobs.

Name a single grown person who would rather be homeless living on the streets than working at half pay.
If you're mad that someone else is brazenly trumpeting their beliefs with ignorance, perhaps you should be mad that you are doing it too.
thane
Profile Blog Joined August 2010
United States407 Posts
July 16 2011 22:43 GMT
#15
I guess I should have copied what was in the article actually expecting people to take 4 minutes and read it was to much to ask.
ShoCkeyy
Profile Blog Joined July 2008
7815 Posts
July 16 2011 22:44 GMT
#16
I agree to this if the government can some how lower the cost of living. Cost of living is the reason why most of us are in this horrible position. In Miami to even get a 1 bed/1bath it's like $800-$1000, which is quite ridiculous in my opinion because the apartment is the size of like a bathroom.
Life?
redFF
Profile Blog Joined November 2010
United States3910 Posts
July 16 2011 22:45 GMT
#17
money or no money? lol...
forelmashi
Profile Blog Joined August 2007
421 Posts
July 16 2011 22:46 GMT
#18
what do you mean "should"..
thane
Profile Blog Joined August 2010
United States407 Posts
July 16 2011 22:46 GMT
#19
On July 17 2011 07:42 Eknoid4 wrote:
ITT: children posting about jobs.

Name a single grown person who would rather be homeless living on the streets than working at half pay.



I actually know people who would rather sit at home than take a job being payed less than what they think they should get. I currently get underpaid by about $8/hour but think having a job is better than not.
BisuDagger
Profile Blog Joined October 2009
Bisutopia19387 Posts
July 16 2011 22:47 GMT
#20
On July 17 2011 07:16 Relickey wrote:
Hmm... A job or no job? I think I'd rather $30k a year than $0 a year.

Crappy poll, weak topic, but this ^
ModeratorFormer Afreeca Starleague Caster: http://afreeca.tv/ASL2ENG2
Chocolate
Profile Blog Joined December 2010
United States2350 Posts
July 16 2011 22:47 GMT
#21
This kinda reminds me of Grapes of Wrath- of course people will take a low paying job over none but unions and a competitive market will eventually prevent unfair wages.
thane
Profile Blog Joined August 2010
United States407 Posts
July 16 2011 22:47 GMT
#22
On July 17 2011 07:44 ShoCkeyy wrote:
I agree to this if the government can some how lower the cost of living. Cost of living is the reason why most of us are in this horrible position. In Miami to even get a 1 bed/1bath it's like $800-$1000, which is quite ridiculous in my opinion because the apartment is the size of like a bathroom.


gogo minimum wage increases!
DeepElemBlues
Profile Blog Joined January 2011
United States5080 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-07-16 22:48:18
July 16 2011 22:47 GMT
#23
I'd love to have a job paying $30k a year right now, the market is shiiit for those of us who decided a degree in the liberal arts was a good idea =(
no place i'd rather be than the satellite of love
WhiteDog
Profile Blog Joined November 2010
France8650 Posts
July 16 2011 22:48 GMT
#24
What you should make in my point of view is what other get for the job... the average salary for the specific job. So if everybody get 60k$ for this job, why should I accept 30k ? Stupid pool.

I would take 30k and search for another job, leave like a bitch and leave the company in deep shit! ;P
"every time WhiteDog overuses the word "seriously" in a comment I can make an observation on his fragile emotional state." MoltkeWarding
thane
Profile Blog Joined August 2010
United States407 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-07-16 22:53:55
July 16 2011 22:50 GMT
#25
On July 17 2011 07:47 DeepElemBlues wrote:
I'd love to have a job paying $30k a year right now, the market is shiiit for those of us who decided a degree in the liberal arts was a good idea =(


sigh I guess before I post from now on I should have an English professor read my post. I honestly dont see whats wrong with this post. It may seem a bit like a troll post but its legitimate some people would honestly rather sit at home and have no income than a job that underpays them by a significant amount. I just wanted to know what people though about this particular instance.
BlackJack
Profile Blog Joined June 2003
United States10574 Posts
July 16 2011 22:53 GMT
#26
On July 17 2011 07:50 thane wrote:
Show nested quote +
On July 17 2011 07:47 DeepElemBlues wrote:
I'd love to have a job paying $30k a year right now, the market is shiiit for those of us who decided a degree in the liberal arts was a good idea =(


sigh I guess before I post from now on I should have an English professor read my post. I honestly dont see whats wrong with this post. It may seem a bit like a troll post but its legitimate some people would honestly rather site at home and have no income than a job that underpays them by a significant amount. I just wanted to know what people though about this particular instance.


How do you sit at home with no income and not lose your home? That's what is stupid about it...
thane
Profile Blog Joined August 2010
United States407 Posts
July 16 2011 22:54 GMT
#27
On July 17 2011 07:53 BlackJack wrote:
Show nested quote +
On July 17 2011 07:50 thane wrote:
On July 17 2011 07:47 DeepElemBlues wrote:
I'd love to have a job paying $30k a year right now, the market is shiiit for those of us who decided a degree in the liberal arts was a good idea =(


sigh I guess before I post from now on I should have an English professor read my post. I honestly dont see whats wrong with this post. It may seem a bit like a troll post but its legitimate some people would honestly rather site at home and have no income than a job that underpays them by a significant amount. I just wanted to know what people though about this particular instance.


How do you sit at home with no income and not lose your home? That's what is stupid about it...



I never said the people are smart but people do it...
furymonkey
Profile Joined December 2008
New Zealand1587 Posts
July 16 2011 22:55 GMT
#28
On July 17 2011 07:48 WhiteDog wrote:
What you should make in my point of view is what other get for the job... the average salary for the specific job. So if everybody get 60k$ for this job, why should I accept 30k ? Stupid pool.

I would take 30k and search for another job, leave like a bitch and leave the company in deep shit! ;P


Which company pre-pay salary upfront? It doesn't make any sense.
Leenock the Punisher
jdseemoreglass
Profile Blog Joined July 2010
United States3773 Posts
July 16 2011 22:55 GMT
#29
If Americans expect to get paid more than workers in third world nations, then they should have better SKILLS than workers in third world nations.

People always complaining about "manufacturing" jobs leaving, etc... I say good riddance. The jobs of the future are not manufacturing, and that's not what American workers should be investing in. Outsourcing and lowering wages isn't the problem here...

And the OP makes no sense at all.
"If you want this forum to be full of half-baked philosophy discussions between pompous faggots like yourself forever, stay the course captain vanilla" - FakeSteve[TPR], 2006
thane
Profile Blog Joined August 2010
United States407 Posts
July 16 2011 22:57 GMT
#30
On July 17 2011 07:55 jdseemoreglass wrote:
If Americans expect to get paid more than workers in third world nations, then they should have better SKILLS than workers in third world nations.

People always complaining about "manufacturing" jobs leaving, etc... I say good riddance. The jobs of the future are not manufacturing, and that's not what American workers should be investing in. Outsourcing and lowering wages isn't the problem here...

And the OP makes no sense at all.



fine since I didnt make sense what should I have changed?
Nyovne
Profile Joined March 2006
Netherlands19141 Posts
July 16 2011 22:57 GMT
#31
Terrible poll, weak topic indeed. Closing this.
ModeratorFor remember, that in the end, some are born to live, others born to die. I belong to those last, born to burn, born to cry. For I shall remain alone... forsaken.
Normal
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 17m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
ProTech140
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 37393
Shuttle 2512
Horang2 985
Bisu 884
Jaedong 709
Light 613
Mini 519
BeSt 354
firebathero 330
Hyuk 297
[ Show more ]
EffOrt 263
Stork 259
Zeus 216
Soma 214
ggaemo 189
Soulkey 151
Last 149
ZerO 147
Rush 145
Snow 139
Leta 114
Killer 77
Pusan 77
hero 63
Sea.KH 61
Mong 39
Mind 36
Sharp 34
Shinee 30
Shine 29
soO 26
Bale 24
Aegong 24
sorry 23
ToSsGirL 22
Trap 18
Free 17
Sexy 16
Terrorterran 14
PianO 13
Noble 11
HiyA 11
ajuk12(nOOB) 8
JulyZerg 7
zelot 6
Icarus 5
NotJumperer 1
Dota 2
Gorgc4161
qojqva1752
Dendi979
420jenkins57
League of Legends
Reynor90
Counter-Strike
olofmeister1425
x6flipin375
markeloff107
Heroes of the Storm
Khaldor1960
crisheroes873
Other Games
gofns35210
singsing2148
B2W.Neo777
XBOCT351
DeMusliM186
Livibee173
Mlord157
XaKoH 136
Liquid`LucifroN112
QueenE88
Mew2King83
ArmadaUGS72
Chillindude16
ZerO(Twitch)11
Railgan9
Organizations
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream180
StarCraft: Brood War
lovetv 6
[ Show 13 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• StrangeGG 73
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• FirePhoenix3
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
League of Legends
• Jankos2213
• TFBlade695
Other Games
• WagamamaTV192
Upcoming Events
OSC
17m
Stellar Fest
17m
Serral vs herO
Solar vs Shino
Maru vs Clem
SHIN vs GgMaChine
TaKeTV 14
OSC
11h 17m
Stellar Fest
1d
CranKy Ducklings
1d 21h
Online Event
1d 22h
FEL
2 days
AI Arena Tournament
2 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
2 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
2 days
[ Show More ]
INu's Battles
2 days
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
BSL Open Qualifier
3 days
BSL Open Qualifier
3 days
Replay Cast
3 days
Afreeca Starleague
3 days
Rush vs Light
WardiTV Weekly
3 days
Replay Cast
4 days
Afreeca Starleague
4 days
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
4 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
5 days
The PondCast
6 days
INu's Battles
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-30
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.