• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 16:03
CEST 22:03
KST 05:03
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup3StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)59Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313
StarCraft 2
General
Awesome/Confusing SC2 BM SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup [Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR?
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ] ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
JaeDong's ASL S22 Ro. 8 Review Bot on ladder Data analysis on 8 million games BW General Discussion Fantasy returning?
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 7275 users

Dignity: What your opinion means to you.

Forum Index > Closed
Post a Reply
1 2 Next All
BigT
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
United States304 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-07-26 16:41:08
July 26 2010 16:21 GMT
#1
I was not planning on creating another blog entry so soon, but after the events of last night I need to find an answer.

Yesterday, since I had nothing better to do with no sc2, I just started going to town editing everything I had on tl.net. I updated my user profile, my stream profile, made a blog, and finally created a forum thread for my stream...

Upon creating a forum thread for my stream, people instantly came and started to just insult me and cause arguments with me. I did nothing to them... I said nothing to them... I just created a thread for my stream without notifying them in anyway. And they just came to it and started flaming... This leads me to the question in which I'm seeking an answer.

Why do these people feel the absolute need to let their opinion be heard especially when it's something negative??? Like what value are you possibly adding to a thread by posting your negative opinion about the poster???

For example... If I have a negative opinion about someone I keep it to myself. Just the fact that I know my opinion means something to me. I am not then like, "Ok, I think this guy is a complete idiot, so I'm going to go to his thread and tell him about how big of an idiot he is." No, I have more dignity in my opinion than that. I value it so much that I would never have to do that.

Now with that being said, sometimes you need to voice your opinion or else youll just explode from anger. But if thats the case, why wouldn't you make your own individual thread about the matter, or just tell one of your friends your opinion? Why do people actually feel the need to directly tell the target of their anger how they feel about them and go out of the way to do so??? Why do they have this compulsion?? I don't think that helps or solves anything, it just completely disrespects that person. Why is it so important to have to tell them what you think of them? Why can't you just keep it to yourself? Do they get satisfaction in directly telling a person their opinion? Do they sleep better at night? Do they think they are funny? I just want to know why they behave in such a manner so I can at least understand.

Now I'm not saying everyone is like this. In fact I only think about 1% of people actually behave in this manner, the other 99% have dignity in their opinion and feel no need to voice it to the world, especially the target of their opinion.

But for that 1% I just can't figure out why they feel the need to tell someone their opinion (again especially the target of it). Like have some dignity and respect for your opinion and yourself. Have faith in it! It's an opinion! It's right no matter what anyone else says!!!! So why does that 1% lack such dignity that they cannot be satisfied with self-acknowledgment of their own opinion??? Why do they feel so compelled to tell someone, in most cases the target of their opinion, how they feel, especially when its negative? Again, I know I'm being redundant, but what do they get out of telling them their opinion? Satisfaction? Do they sleep better? What?

So in closing I ask everyone... What does your opinion mean to you? Are you satisfied by merely self-acknowledging your opinion? Or are you the type that also needs to voice your opinion in order to be satisfied? How much dignity do you have in your opinion???

Edit: Good example of what I am trying to explain.

On July 27 2010 01:32 SkytoM wrote:
If i never tell people i am angry with, that i am angry, how does THAT solve anything?

critizism is essential for improvement


I think that isn't an opinion... "I am angry with you" is a fact assuming that you are indeed angry at them... That's completely different...

If in that same discussion you proceed to then be like, "i am angry with you, your a fat piece of shit..." Then you would have added your opinion. And in that case I ask, does that really solve anything? Did that really help you solve anything adding that last line about that person being a fat piece of shit??? What do you get out of telling that to the person???

With that being said, I agree that criticism is essential for improvement, however personal opinion should be left out of it, it should be strictly objective in order for it to actually be constructive.
Big T
Atlare
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
Australia893 Posts
July 26 2010 16:23 GMT
#2
Im stopped reading a few paragraphs in, this may not be news for you but: People on the internet are dickheads, and if they feel like insulting instead of criticizing then tough luck, Its crap but its the way it works.
Considering learning BW
BigT
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
United States304 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-07-26 16:32:56
July 26 2010 16:26 GMT
#3
On July 27 2010 01:23 Mecha_cl wrote:
Im stopped reading a few paragraphs in, this may not be news for you but: People on the internet are dickheads, and if they feel like insulting instead of criticizing then tough luck, Its crap but its the way it works.


Of course, that's a gimme, but my question is more psychological. They are dickheads yes, but why do they have the need to voice their opinion to the world? What do they get out of it?? Do they get satisfaction from directly telling the target of their opinion what they think about them? Do they sleep better at night knowing that they voiced their opinion to them? I just don't understand...
Big T
Xyik
Profile Blog Joined November 2009
Canada728 Posts
July 26 2010 16:29 GMT
#4
I think you know the answers to the questions you ask.
BigT
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
United States304 Posts
July 26 2010 16:30 GMT
#5
On July 27 2010 01:29 Xyik wrote:
I think you know the answers to the questions you ask.


I have my assumptions, but I can't say I know for certain which is why I'm asking. I don't feel this compulsion so I really cannot say...
Big T
SkytoM
Profile Blog Joined July 2009
Austria1137 Posts
July 26 2010 16:32 GMT
#6
If i never tell people i am angry with, that i am angry, how does THAT solve anything?

critizism is essential for improvement
Bisu... ;-(
BigT
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
United States304 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-07-26 16:38:00
July 26 2010 16:33 GMT
#7
On July 27 2010 01:32 SkytoM wrote:
If i never tell people i am angry with, that i am angry, how does THAT solve anything?

critizism is essential for improvement


EDIT: I think that isn't an opinion... "I am angry with you" is a fact assuming that you are indeed angry at them... That's completely different...

If in that same discussion you proceed to then be like, "i am angry with you, your a fat piece of shit..." Then you would have added your opinion. And in that case I ask, does that really solve anything? Did that really help you solve anything adding that last line about that person being a fat piece of shit??? What do you get out of telling that to the person???
Big T
nadafanboy42
Profile Joined August 2009
Netherlands209 Posts
July 26 2010 16:46 GMT
#8
Generally speaking it has nothing to do with you. These people are angry and frustrated about something completely unrelated (shitty job, lousy boss, etc.) and are simply venting their frustrations on you.
NaDa/Jaedong/Liquid-Fanboy
Wi)nD
Profile Joined April 2010
Canada719 Posts
July 26 2010 16:50 GMT
#9
On July 27 2010 01:26 BigT wrote:
Show nested quote +
On July 27 2010 01:23 Mecha_cl wrote:
Im stopped reading a few paragraphs in, this may not be news for you but: People on the internet are dickheads, and if they feel like insulting instead of criticizing then tough luck, Its crap but its the way it works.


Of course, that's a gimme, but my question is more psychological. They are dickheads yes, but why do they have the need to voice their opinion to the world? What do they get out of it?? Do they get satisfaction from directly telling the target of their opinion what they think about them? Do they sleep better at night knowing that they voiced their opinion to them? I just don't understand...


then enjoy the fact that is irks u, the fact that u make another blog talking about them, just feeds the fire
Navane
Profile Blog Joined February 2007
Netherlands2762 Posts
July 26 2010 16:53 GMT
#10
To dickheads, voicing their opinion is not like you and I voice an opinion; thouroughful thinking followed by careful construction of arguments, effort being put in action. No, not at all. To a dickhead, voicing an opinion is more like breathing. Or taking a shit. It feels good to let it flow, it takes the pressure off.
Kingsp4de20
Profile Blog Joined February 2007
United States716 Posts
July 26 2010 16:54 GMT
#11
Its the internet, if you cant handle random people talking shit to you for no reason then maybe the internet isnt the place for you.
HCastorp
Profile Blog Joined March 2010
United States388 Posts
July 26 2010 17:00 GMT
#12
Looking back over the thread in question, the post that seems to have really set BigT off was filled with

. . . *drumroll* . . .

well-thought out constructive criticism.

Go figure.

PokePill
Profile Blog Joined March 2009
United States1048 Posts
July 26 2010 17:02 GMT
#13
Before anyone else responds to this thread, make sure you read the thread he's talking about because he's not some helpless victim of internet hate.

http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=138339
BigT
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
United States304 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-07-26 17:04:49
July 26 2010 17:02 GMT
#14
I just can't accept that they only do it because it feels good... There has to be another underlying reason... Or maybe I am just really trying to give them too much benefit of the doubt :/

Like even now people are continuing to come to my thread to tell me their opinion, I just dont understand it, why are these people going out of their way to further voice their negative opinions about myself to me?

@Kingsp4ade20: It sounds like your inferring that I am not able to handle it... That's not the problem. I just want to figure out why they are so compelled to behave the way they do.

On July 27 2010 02:00 HCastorp wrote:
Looking back over the thread in question, the post that seems to have really set BigT off was filled with

. . . *drumroll* . . .

well-thought out constructive criticism.

Go figure.



No, I didn't find people arguing with me, telling me how I'm wrong and they are right as constructive criticism lol.
Big T
HCastorp
Profile Blog Joined March 2010
United States388 Posts
July 26 2010 17:05 GMT
#15
Well, luckily Pokepill posted the the link so people can decide for themselves.
BigT
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
United States304 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-07-26 17:16:20
July 26 2010 17:13 GMT
#16
On July 27 2010 02:05 HCastorp wrote:
Well, luckily Pokepill posted the the link so people can decide for themselves.


Indeed, but its important to remember, that what you decide and what I decide are not the same. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, so even if you think it was in fact constructive criticism you cant then go try to tell me that my opinion is wrong... That's the entire point I'm trying to get across

Whether or not what those people said was constructive criticism or not depends on the perception of the one receiving it. And I received it as NOT constructive criticism, that's MY opinion and it needs to be respected. You cannot tell me my OPINION is wrong. If you respect my opinion instead of trying to tell me my opinion is wrong, then my response will be understood
Big T
Jayson X
Profile Blog Joined November 2006
Switzerland2431 Posts
July 26 2010 17:14 GMT
#17
How did you manage to piss of people within 140 posts and a livestream i'm asking myself!?

Maybe just lay low and do your thing? This thread alone is seeking attention suspiciously similar to a certain character we had on this forum long time ago. If you start giving strategies your own name, trust me, it's not going to end well haha.

Anyway, never saw your stream, probably never will but i heard people on my stream talking about you and how you have a certain way of taking losses. Maybe that's the thing?
KawaiiRice
Profile Blog Joined May 2007
United States2914 Posts
July 26 2010 17:17 GMT
#18
Was reading the blog and then I checked link.

On July 27 2010 02:02 PokePill wrote:
Before anyone else responds to this thread, make sure you read the thread he's talking about because he's not some helpless victim of internet hate.

http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=138339


If you don't want people posting their opinions on your shit, don't post it in the first place. The forums are a place to discuss...

Why do these people feel the absolute need to let their opinion be heard especially when it's something negative??? Like what value are you possibly adding to a thread by posting your negative opinion about the poster???

why not?

+ Show Spoiler +
God I love unk
@KawaiiRiceLighT
DCLXVI
Profile Blog Joined August 2009
United States729 Posts
July 26 2010 17:20 GMT
#19
Well it looked like you were having trouble dealing with criticism so people tried to help by suggesting ways to deal with it (cpt. nasty). You decided to act like a 10 year old and refuse to read what he wrote, so I heartily approve of any flaming after that post. If in all your humbleness you think that people suggesting help are automatically wrong because you have an opinion on the matter, then people will dislike you. The internet is full of people who like to annoy and argue, and people like you are prime targets.
I can already see the ending
BigT
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
United States304 Posts
July 26 2010 17:20 GMT
#20
On July 27 2010 02:17 KawaiiRice wrote:
Was reading the blog and then I checked link.

Show nested quote +
On July 27 2010 02:02 PokePill wrote:
Before anyone else responds to this thread, make sure you read the thread he's talking about because he's not some helpless victim of internet hate.

http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=138339


If you don't want people posting their opinions on your shit, don't post it in the first place. The forums are a place to discuss...

Show nested quote +
Why do these people feel the absolute need to let their opinion be heard especially when it's something negative??? Like what value are you possibly adding to a thread by posting your negative opinion about the poster???

Show nested quote +
why not?

+ Show Spoiler +
God I love unk


Man everyone keeps making all these inferences! You seem to be inferring that I don't want people posting their opinions. I can't say I encourage it, but as you say, "the forums are a place to discuss". I'm just trying to understand O_O* Why do people feel so compelled to out of no where insult, name call, and argue with me? O_O*
Big T
1 2 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 1h 57m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
UpATreeSC 164
ProTech160
JuggernautJason60
StarCraft: Brood War
White-Ra 205
Dewaltoss 107
Hyuk 79
firebathero 66
Bale 15
Dota 2
Gorgc9615
qojqva1255
Counter-Strike
fl0m1556
Fnx 754
Super Smash Bros
Mew2King73
Heroes of the Storm
Grubby3698
Khaldor1114
crisheroes1063
Liquid`Hasu588
Other Games
summit1g6340
FrodaN2544
shahzam320
XBOCT258
ArmadaUGS160
C9.Mang0154
CosmosSc2 27
ZombieGrub20
Trikslyr1
Organizations
Other Games
BasetradeTV221
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream55
[ Show 12 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Berry_CruncH351
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• FirePhoenix5
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Other Games
• imaqtpie909
• Shiphtur250
Upcoming Events
OSC
1h 57m
CranKy Ducklings
13h 57m
Online Event
14h 57m
FEL
19h 57m
AI Arena Tournament
20h 57m
BSL: Ladder Tournament
22h 57m
Sparkling Tuna Cup
1d 13h
INu's Battles
1d 15h
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
BSL Open Qualifier
1d 22h
BSL Open Qualifier
1d 22h
[ Show More ]
Replay Cast
2 days
Afreeca Starleague
2 days
Rush vs Light
WardiTV Weekly
2 days
Monday Night Weeklies
2 days
Afreeca Starleague
3 days
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
3 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
4 days
The PondCast
5 days
INu's Battles
5 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-30
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.