• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 06:51
CEST 12:51
KST 19:51
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)55Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1
StarCraft 2
General
How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double
Tourneys
Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) 2026 GSTL Grand Finals SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ] ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
BW General Discussion Fantasy returning? Bot on ladder ASL22 General Discussion a Announcement on the JEDI Ringing
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
General RTS Discussion Thread Nintendo Switch Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Canadian Politics Mega-thread US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8961 users

Starcraft 2 - Best Monitor - 16:9 - 27''

Forum Index > Closed
Post a Reply
Normal
vradovic
Profile Joined September 2008
United States293 Posts
June 19 2010 22:51 GMT
#1
What you think about this monitor
http://www.necdisplay.com/Products/Product/?product=186bb118-0c70-4c6a-a511-6d39c54f61bd

PA271W-BK-SV
2560 x 1440 resolution that means 16

What you think is 27'' too big for Starcraft 2?

blade55555
Profile Blog Joined March 2009
United States17423 Posts
June 19 2010 22:52 GMT
#2
I use a 24 inch, I don't think thats too big I doubt 3 more inches is too big either .
When I think of something else, something will go here
vradovic
Profile Joined September 2008
United States293 Posts
June 19 2010 22:53 GMT
#3
I would like to buy this before game is out. Just trying to make no mistake
anmajaeyoon
Profile Joined March 2009
19 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-06-19 22:59:55
June 19 2010 22:55 GMT
#4
Generally what is considered the best for gaming are small (17' to 19') crt monitors with 125hz. However with SC2 supporting wide screens it has now become a little bit more tricky as you have to choose from more view versus higher refresh rate. The one you linked to definitely wont improve your ability as a player but rather will just make it look nicer, if that's what you want then go for it.
Elec
Profile Joined July 2009
Canada136 Posts
June 19 2010 22:55 GMT
#5
i got a 24 inch too

its the smallest monitor with a 1920x1200 rez
or was when i bought it 2 years ago
Yellow Shinny VW beetle with # plate R3AV3R
ryanAnger
Profile Blog Joined April 2008
United States838 Posts
June 19 2010 22:56 GMT
#6
I really don't think you could go wrong buying a large monitor. It's 16 which has been decided is the best for Starcraft 2 so I don't see an issue with it at all.
On my way...
skyR
Profile Joined July 2009
Canada13817 Posts
June 19 2010 22:56 GMT
#7
Looks expensive, even for an IPS screen.
TaKemE
Profile Joined April 2010
Denmark1045 Posts
June 19 2010 23:05 GMT
#8
There is no reason to buy an expensive ISP monitor for gameing. You should go after a cheaper TN for higher response time. Also i dont think starcraft 2 support 2560 x 1440, so it will just scale 1920x1080.
Motiva
Profile Joined November 2007
United States1774 Posts
June 19 2010 23:08 GMT
#9
You'd likely have the same exact winrate with a monitor that costs 1/20th the cost of that monitor. The choice is yours, and shouldn't be necessarily related to SC2.
hellsan631
Profile Blog Joined March 2010
United States695 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-06-19 23:09:30
June 19 2010 23:08 GMT
#10
the bigger the monitor, the longer it takes for you to move your mouse cursor across the screen, and the more area there is to keep track of with your eyes.

if you sit far away, then it would be fine.

but i find myself struggling to keep up sometimes on my 24in monitors with sc2.

TBH, just get a 3d gaming monitor and play sc2 in 3d
virgozero
Profile Joined May 2010
Canada412 Posts
June 19 2010 23:11 GMT
#11
why the hell are you basing ur choice of monitor of sc2?

that monitor is the sex but w/ sc2 it will be just like any other monitor

1280x720, 1366x768, 1600x900, 1920x1080, 2560x1440 WILL ALL SHOW THE SAME AMOUNT OF STUFF on your screen. SC2 locks its FOV (field of view)

What you do get is more clarity (if your on max graphics).
Skeyser
Profile Joined June 2010
Canada219 Posts
June 19 2010 23:13 GMT
#12
I wouldn't buy that unless you're into the photo editing business.
monitor
Profile Blog Joined June 2010
United States2409 Posts
June 19 2010 23:16 GMT
#13
How about you buy a cheap monitor and get me a new computer?

The monitor looks really good, but I think you should get a cheaper one. This is waaay to expensive, and SC2 doesn't need the best monitor there is, just a decent one. You should look for something around $900 imo.
https://liquipedia.net/starcraft2/Monitor
TaKemE
Profile Joined April 2010
Denmark1045 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-06-19 23:22:06
June 19 2010 23:19 GMT
#14
A 7ms G-T-G (16 ms) Response Time and higher input lag is not realy good for gameing. Yes ISP got better colors but that dosent matter much in games where you almost cant tell the difference unless your an expert.

I would be better to get one of the new 120hz monitors if you want the best for gameing:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824009222

http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/products/Displays/productdetail.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=dhs&cs=19&sku=320-8846
EnderW
Profile Joined March 2010
United States170 Posts
June 19 2010 23:20 GMT
#15
On June 20 2010 08:11 virgozero wrote:
why the hell are you basing ur choice of monitor of sc2?

that monitor is the sex but w/ sc2 it will be just like any other monitor

1280x720, 1366x768, 1600x900, 1920x1080, 2560x1440 WILL ALL SHOW THE SAME AMOUNT OF STUFF on your screen. SC2 locks its FOV (field of view)

What you do get is more clarity (if your on max graphics).


this is false. your field of view does get bigger based on your aspect ration. But your screen resolution will not affect your FOV. gamespot tested this and found that 16 has the largest FOV.
Learn from the mistakes of others, because you wont live long enough to make them all yourself.
vradovic
Profile Joined September 2008
United States293 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-06-19 23:26:01
June 19 2010 23:25 GMT
#16
On June 20 2010 08:05 TaKemE wrote:
There is no reason to buy an expensive ISP monitor for gameing. You should go after a cheaper TN for higher response time. Also i dont think starcraft 2 support 2560 x 1440, so it will just scale 1920x1080.

Is this true?? Can Starcraft 2 Support 2560x1440 without scale?
EnderW
Profile Joined March 2010
United States170 Posts
June 19 2010 23:27 GMT
#17
On June 20 2010 08:25 vradovic wrote:
Show nested quote +
On June 20 2010 08:05 TaKemE wrote:
There is no reason to buy an expensive ISP monitor for gameing. You should go after a cheaper TN for higher response time. Also i dont think starcraft 2 support 2560 x 1440, so it will just scale 1920x1080.

Is this true?? Can Starcraft 2 Support 2560x1440 without scale?


it is true, 1920x1080 is the highest resolution supported by SC2 right now. whether that will change at release is questionable, but my guess is that it will not.
Learn from the mistakes of others, because you wont live long enough to make them all yourself.
vradovic
Profile Joined September 2008
United States293 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-06-19 23:29:40
June 19 2010 23:28 GMT
#18
On June 20 2010 08:19 TaKemE wrote:
A 7ms G-T-G (16 ms) Response Time and higher input lag is not realy good for gameing. Yes ISP got better colors but that dosent matter much in games where you almost cant tell the difference unless your an expert.

I would be better to get one of the new 120hz monitors if you want the best for gameing:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824009222

http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/products/Displays/productdetail.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=dhs&cs=19&sku=320-8846



Thank you and all others for replay!!
I will think about this two.

I have atm Samsung 2233rz.
But I would like to buy 16 : 9
Raelcun
Profile Blog Joined March 2008
United States3747 Posts
June 19 2010 23:31 GMT
#19
On June 20 2010 07:55 Elec wrote:
i got a 24 inch too

its the smallest monitor with a 1920x1200 rez
or was when i bought it 2 years ago


I have a 22 inch that runs 1920x1280 just fyi.
teekuppi
Profile Joined April 2008
78 Posts
June 19 2010 23:39 GMT
#20
i play with my 40" hdtv as a monitor and it's really good, and i haven't noticed any downside by playing with it
zoLo
Profile Blog Joined June 2007
United States5896 Posts
June 19 2010 23:49 GMT
#21
I use a 23" LCD monitor, but I use a lower resolution ingame since I don't want to play SC2 on max resolution.
vradovic
Profile Joined September 2008
United States293 Posts
June 19 2010 23:51 GMT
#22
On June 20 2010 08:49 zoLo wrote:
I use a 23" LCD monitor, but I use a lower resolution ingame since I don't want to play SC2 on max resolution.


why?
earky
Profile Joined March 2010
United States87 Posts
June 19 2010 23:59 GMT
#23
You don't need to worry about color calibration like that unless you are working in print or something. This is for professional use, you could get a worthy monitor of that size for a fraction of the price.
I'm a graphic designer, PM me and I'll gladly help you out!
Challe
Profile Joined June 2010
Afghanistan58 Posts
June 20 2010 00:01 GMT
#24
I have a 27 inch. its good for sc2 but not so much for sc1
cougar22
Profile Joined May 2010
Canada98 Posts
June 20 2010 00:01 GMT
#25
$1,649.00???

I could buy like eight 24" monitors for that price.
vradovic
Profile Joined September 2008
United States293 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-06-20 00:03:01
June 20 2010 00:01 GMT
#26
On June 20 2010 09:01 Challe wrote:
I have a 27 inch. its good for sc2 but not so much for sc1


Nice. Can you play on max resolution ?
vradovic
Profile Joined September 2008
United States293 Posts
June 20 2010 00:03 GMT
#27
On June 20 2010 09:01 cougar22 wrote:
$1,649.00???

I could buy like eight 24" monitors for that price.


+ I must pay like +600$ for transport and custom
lyk503
Profile Joined May 2009
United States261 Posts
June 20 2010 00:03 GMT
#28
On June 20 2010 08:08 hellsan631 wrote:
the bigger the monitor, the longer it takes for you to move your mouse cursor across the screen, and the more area there is to keep track of with your eyes.

if you sit far away, then it would be fine.

but i find myself struggling to keep up sometimes on my 24in monitors with sc2.

TBH, just get a 3d gaming monitor and play sc2 in 3d



Have you ever heard of mouse sensitivity?
z0mgz starcraft
pshych0
Profile Blog Joined July 2009
274 Posts
June 20 2010 00:11 GMT
#29
I'll buy a 27'' monitor when the first SC2 tournament features something bigger than 21''...probably most will still use 19''
shit happens
vradovic
Profile Joined September 2008
United States293 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-06-20 00:14:00
June 20 2010 00:13 GMT
#30
I just want to play from home.

this article here say they run sc2 on 2560 x 1600
http://www.pcgameshardware.com/aid,705223/Starcraft-2-Beta-maxed-out/Download/
MangoTango
Profile Blog Joined June 2010
United States3670 Posts
June 20 2010 00:13 GMT
#31
On June 20 2010 07:52 blade55555 wrote:
I don't think thats too big I doubt 3 more inches is too big either .


That's what she said :o

I find that my 21" monitor is almost too big. I've moved it to the back of my desk but it's still too big.
"One fish, two fish, red fish, BLUE TANK!" - Artosis
EnderW
Profile Joined March 2010
United States170 Posts
June 20 2010 00:15 GMT
#32
On June 20 2010 09:13 MangoTango wrote:
Show nested quote +
On June 20 2010 07:52 blade55555 wrote:
I don't think thats too big I doubt 3 more inches is too big either .


That's what she said :o

I find that my 21" monitor is almost too big. I've moved it to the back of my desk but it's still too big.


I agree w/ this. I've hooked my computer up to my 22" Monitor, which I am using now, and it is almost too big for desk use.

I've also tried it on my 27" and 37" monitors that i use for multi tabling poker, but they are simply too large to use on my desk without my eyes straining immensely
Learn from the mistakes of others, because you wont live long enough to make them all yourself.
spinal2k
Profile Joined June 2010
Portugal148 Posts
June 20 2010 00:18 GMT
#33
On June 20 2010 08:11 virgozero wrote:
why the hell are you basing ur choice of monitor of sc2?

that monitor is the sex but w/ sc2 it will be just like any other monitor

1280x720, 1366x768, 1600x900, 1920x1080, 2560x1440 WILL ALL SHOW THE SAME AMOUNT OF STUFF on your screen. SC2 locks its FOV (field of view)

What you do get is more clarity (if your on max graphics).


false.

here you go

SC2 Resolution Comparison

regards
Wanna turn up the heat?
BladeRunner
Profile Blog Joined February 2010
United States407 Posts
June 20 2010 00:40 GMT
#34
I use this monitor with great success... It has a "thru mode" where you can turn off all the post-processing that normally slows down input response on LCD's. The edges get a little blurry but the response is quite good. I use it with my PS3 for fighting games & am very picky about input lag on FPS like Quake 3. I can't notice any lag in SC2 but I'm not as good at detecting as some of you may be. When I did the high speed camera vs CRT test (which some on SRK dispute the accuracy of) I found a 0 to <1 frame delay, which is really good for an LCD that's under $300.

Problem is, I still don't think they're selling this in the US and I'm not sure when or if they ever will. I brought it back from my last trip to Akihabara.

http://www.lg.com/uk/it-products/monitors/LG-lcd-monitor-W2363V.jsp

photo against CRT with thru-mode on:
http://img40.imageshack.us/img40/9803/dsc6075h.jpg

photo against CRT with thru-mode off:
http://img140.imageshack.us/img140/1928/dsc6079.jpg

If you haven't seen it already, there a huge thread on SRK about this topic because as you know fighting game players can be quite picky about input lag:
http://shoryuken.com/showthread.php?t=174085
Normal
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 2h 9m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
Lowko201
SpeCial 69
ProTech13
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 16997
firebathero 2288
Bisu 876
Hyuk 670
Horang2 493
Larva 239
BeSt 235
Light 159
Mini 144
EffOrt 142
[ Show more ]
Soma 122
Leta 89
Rush 85
Barracks 77
Pusan 61
ZerO 58
Killer 54
ToSsGirL 50
Sharp 48
Mong 45
Yoon 40
Aegong 32
Shinee 31
Sexy 28
Mind 27
NaDa 27
Bale 20
sorry 17
Hm[arnc] 17
Sacsri 16
JulyZerg 13
Noble 11
zelot 11
Terrorterran 6
ajuk12(nOOB) 5
Dota 2
XaKoH 364
Fuzer 178
Counter-Strike
shoxiejesuss967
Heroes of the Storm
Khaldor1017
crisheroes918
Other Games
gofns28977
singsing1743
olofmeister1181
B2W.Neo171
Mew2King84
ArmadaUGS52
Livibee47
ZerO(Twitch)14
Organizations
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream179
[ Show 11 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Berry_CruncH93
• StrangeGG 28
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• FirePhoenix8
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Upcoming Events
Stellar Fest
2h 9m
OSC
11h 9m
CranKy Ducklings
23h 9m
Online Event
1d
FEL
1d 5h
AI Arena Tournament
1d 6h
BSL: Ladder Tournament
1d 8h
Sparkling Tuna Cup
1d 23h
INu's Battles
2 days
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
BSL Open Qualifier
2 days
[ Show More ]
BSL Open Qualifier
2 days
Replay Cast
2 days
Afreeca Starleague
2 days
Rush vs Light
WardiTV Weekly
3 days
Replay Cast
3 days
Afreeca Starleague
3 days
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
4 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
4 days
The PondCast
5 days
INu's Battles
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-30
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.