• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 13:47
CEST 19:47
KST 02:47
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup4StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)66Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2315
StarCraft 2
General
October World Ranking: herO stays #1, ByuN returns SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Awesome/Confusing SC2 BM
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ]
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
RepMastered™: replay sharing and analyzer site BSL Season 23 Klaucher discontinued / in-game color settings BW General Discussion Bot on ladder
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8265 users

[G]Getting Friends into SC:BW

Forum Index > BW General
Post a Reply
1 2 Next All
Grobyc
Profile Blog Joined June 2008
Canada18410 Posts
Last Edited: 2009-02-24 02:18:13
February 24 2009 01:45 GMT
#1
Alright! So over time I have noticed that not only have I seen 1, nor 2, threads regarding help for getting friends interested in Starcraft, but many:

+ Show Spoiler [After a few minutes of searching....] +

http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=88397
http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=80686
http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=84288
http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=78140 (sort of related)
http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=53846 (sort of related)
http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=50520 (sort of related)


I'm sure there will be even more to come, so I wrote this on behalf of those people who want to know some good ways to get their friends to play SC, but more importantly, enjoy it.

I feel, that it is near impossible to force someone to like a game. You cannot (and I quote myself lol) go up to them and be like "This is TL, theres ____, ____, ____, ____, and ____. Some famous players are ____, ____, ____, and ____. In 1v1 you need to consistently ____ and ____. Don't play noob FPM/BGH maps though, some common low money maps are _____, ____, and ____." Even if they tell you the game looks fun, and interesting, you will most probably lose their attention immediately.

How I do it:

What you have to do, is get them to enjoy some aspect of the game in the first place. Whether it be playing on (the dreaded D=) FPM, BGH, UMS, Campaign, Mass Attack games, trailers of SC2, etc. Play some games they enjoy with them, whether you like them or not(in the end you get a good friend that understands plays an amazing game with you, so don't complain too much ). Once they think they are ready to go in depth furthermore with SC, show them melee perhaps. Play some TvB, possibly comp stomps, against noobs, fastest, etc, where they aren't going to be completely destroyed and lose all hope. Start playing some better players, more advanced maps, maybe something like I am in the process of doing with my friend, showing him Pimpest plays videos, progamers VODs, and TL.

As interest increases, begin to show your friend about BO's, macro, micro, which units > others, and standard play to help them get to develop strategy on their own as well.

If you play against them try not to rape them or be BM too much, or it will frustrate them. Obviously that's not good if you want them to like the game .

I.E. Killing all their workers then running away, planting a mine/burrowing a ling at their expo, delaying the game until you get 200/200 carriers, etc.

How this is working for me:
Personally this worked very well for me, because I'm working on getting my friend into SC, but right now I'm showing him TL still. I showed him that TL is much much more than just a "starcraft site", and linked him to some funny blogs, cool news reports, etc. I showed him PP's, showed him how to 4pool(which he really loves, looks like he is going to be a Z player), and played 2v2 comps with him on Blood Bath(one of his favourite maps so far) to get his motivation for playing the game up. At school out of the blue he is like "yo, wanna go play some SC in the animation room?" and I'm like "(wow, he isn't even putting on a face, he actually likes the game =D)sure man, let's rooooooooooll ;D". Going to be playing with him tonight, he has an account on TL here(Action Bastard) but he has like 10 posts, he doesn't use it nearly as much as me(yet ), so if you see him posting, don't give him a hard time. I'm starting to show him BO's now, such as a 3 hatch build, or 9pool, instead of always 4pooling.

How I got into competetive Starcraft myself:
I used to play BGH and UMS every day, thinking there were only a few handful of progamers, the best one being BoXeR, but eventually I started hosting Obs games because I was too noob to play them myself and picked up main BO's from that. Once I figured out about TL I started lurking here, reading threads and putting them to use. Eventually I started to play in my Obs games, people asked for my iCC rank and I said "wtf is iccup?", and once I found out I made an account, played some 1v1, and created an account on TL as well. Since I made my account here and started to follow in on competetive BW my increase in skill has gone from x amount/month, to 10x/month.

TL;DR = Don't force your friends into competetive SC, get them to enjoy it, and they will bring themselves to like it as much as you do.

For those who have other ways of doing this kind of thing, or if you disagree on a point, feel free to explain why, and how you would go about it. Try to keep the flaming to a minimum though.

But remember, this guide might not appeal to all, but it works for me
If you watch Godzilla backwards it's about a benevolent lizard who helps rebuild a city and then moonwalks into the ocean.
Pokebunny
Profile Blog Joined June 2008
United States10654 Posts
February 24 2009 01:51 GMT
#2
Good advice probably, not very much different then what else has been posted in those various threads, but decent contribution anyways
Semipro Terran player | Pokebunny#1710 | twitter.com/Pokebunny | twitch.tv/Pokebunny | facebook.com/PokebunnySC
Sonu
Profile Blog Joined December 2008
Canada577 Posts
February 24 2009 01:52 GMT
#3
nice.

I got a girl into competitive gaming.. but she only likes seeing the guys that play

imo as long as shes involved in SC its fine right?

nice OP btw
"I really like this wall-in, because its not a fucking wall" - DAy[9]
Grobyc
Profile Blog Joined June 2008
Canada18410 Posts
February 24 2009 01:55 GMT
#4
@Pokebunny: Yep, I know. I just compiled what I believe to be true from them, added some of my own, and organized it.
@Sonu: Uhh. Sure lol. Still pretty cool. Thanks.
If you watch Godzilla backwards it's about a benevolent lizard who helps rebuild a city and then moonwalks into the ocean.
Xeris
Profile Blog Joined July 2005
Iran17695 Posts
February 24 2009 02:00 GMT
#5
why would she like the guys that play? 95% of them are ugly as fuck. unless she's ugly too OO:
twitter.com/xerislight -- follow me~~
caelym
Profile Blog Joined June 2008
United States6430 Posts
February 24 2009 02:03 GMT
#6
On February 24 2009 11:00 Xeris wrote:
why would she like the guys that play? 95% of them are ugly as fuck. unless she's ugly too OO:

no one can resist FBH's crotch dance. can't you hear all the fan girls screaming when he gets on stage?
GhostKorean
Profile Blog Joined November 2008
United States2330 Posts
February 24 2009 02:07 GMT
#7
Just play UMS games with them until they learn all of the units. The first game they play they'll make 50 photon canons though
Megalisk
Profile Blog Joined October 2008
United States6095 Posts
February 24 2009 02:12 GMT
#8
Also, when you play against them, don't kill them too bad, as it leads to frustration. I was getting my friend into the game, but he got mad and ditched it after I kept beating him.
Tear stained american saints and dirty guitar dreams across a universe of desert and blue sky , gas station coffee love letters and two dollar pistol kisses from thirty five dollar hotel room stationary .
Grobyc
Profile Blog Joined June 2008
Canada18410 Posts
February 24 2009 02:15 GMT
#9
On February 24 2009 11:12 AlphaxOmega wrote:
Also, when you play against them, don't kill them too bad, as it leads to frustration. I was getting my friend into the game, but he got mad and ditched it after I kept beating him.

Yeah that's a good point. I sort of made that mistake with a friend once. It was PvT on fastest, anddddddddd basically I killed all his SCV's with one scarab then ditched his base as BM. He ended up leaving a minute later, I could tell he was pretty pissed haha.
If you watch Godzilla backwards it's about a benevolent lizard who helps rebuild a city and then moonwalks into the ocean.
imperfect
Profile Blog Joined July 2008
Canada1652 Posts
February 24 2009 02:18 GMT
#10
On February 24 2009 11:12 AlphaxOmega wrote:
Also, when you play against them, don't kill them too bad, as it leads to frustration. I was getting my friend into the game, but he got mad and ditched it after I kept beating him.


this happened to me. I had 5 friends that were interested it in (after watching BoxeR's highlight videos - we had played once or twice at a PC Bang), then I beat them all with scv+marine and they all ditched it to play DotA.
blind bisu free and anytime fanboy.
TryThis
Profile Joined February 2007
Canada1522 Posts
February 24 2009 02:19 GMT
#11
On February 24 2009 11:07 GhostKorean wrote:
Just play UMS games with them until they learn all of the units. The first game they play they'll make 50 photon canons though


this is so very true. but at last they'll get the feel for it? once they've been intoduced into higher level (even 2v2 play) they will gradually get out of this habit
Dwell
Last Romantic
Profile Blog Joined June 2006
United States20667 Posts
Last Edited: 2009-02-24 02:21:17
February 24 2009 02:21 GMT
#12
On February 24 2009 11:00 Xeris wrote:
why would she like the guys that play? 95% of them are ugly as fuck. unless she's ugly too OO:


Mi-nam MagicNs please.
ㅋㄲㅈㅁ
Kyuukyuu
Profile Blog Joined January 2009
Canada6263 Posts
February 24 2009 06:04 GMT
#13
Funny, I did exactly what you say not to do and my friend is still pretty into SC (although he sucks :p)
sMi.WiZaRd
Profile Joined February 2009
United States28 Posts
February 24 2009 06:17 GMT
#14
good advice but sc/bwi is my hidden secert and il take it to the grave !! :D
aka; WiZaRd W]i[ZaRd
thunk
Profile Blog Joined March 2008
United States6233 Posts
Last Edited: 2009-02-24 06:32:47
February 24 2009 06:32 GMT
#15
On February 24 2009 11:00 Xeris wrote:
why would she like the guys that play? 95% of them are ugly as fuck. unless she's ugly too OO:


Xellos, Reach, and Yellow are fan favorites.

Winning a lot of games, and I mean a lot of games, tends to increase ones hotness. Flash has fans, he's underage and doesn't look that good.

I'm trying to get a guy into SC too and I can't figure out how to make him use build orders. I think I need to stop hard countering his build.
Every time Jung Myung Hoon builds a vulture, two probes die. || My post count was a palindrome and I was never posting again.
Osmoses
Profile Blog Joined October 2008
Sweden5302 Posts
February 24 2009 06:32 GMT
#16
Like any good drug you gotta give it time, little by little reeling the suckers in, and then they're your prostitutes and you're the pimp.
Excuse me hun, but what is your name? Vivian? I woke up next to you naked and, uh, did we, um?
Julmust
Profile Blog Joined November 2008
Sweden4867 Posts
February 24 2009 06:39 GMT
#17
Recently got one friend playing and another one started following the proscene So I'm pulling my weight!
AdministratorI'm dancing in the moonlight
systranerror
Profile Joined November 2008
United States27 Posts
Last Edited: 2009-02-24 06:57:49
February 24 2009 06:55 GMT
#18
My roommates all started playing and they got into it by just playing each other a lot and doing FFA's with me sometimes. Don't 1v1 people that are just starting even if you're going to "go easy", because it will make them hate the game. Also don't initially stand behind them and say "idle worker, use hotkeys, keep making workers." In my experience if you can't find other friends that are also terrible to start with them, they won't play.

If you have a small group of people just starting with each other they'll have fun playing each other. I got one of my roommates to start using not even a build but just an opening, i.e. 9 OL, 12 hatch at exp, and this gave him enough of an advantage over the other roommates that they wanted to learn a "build" also. Unfortunately none of them wanted to learn a real build and they mostly just fuck around playing each other, occasionally going on iccup and losing really bad, completely refusing to learn standard play or to try and get much better. I don't really care, they at least still play and will maybe decide they want to try getting better on their own later. They prefer watching pro VODs to playing.

My brother had his friend that is into most other games try playing, he was completely put off as soon as he saw it. "Ugh why does the HUD take up the entire screen, can I change the resolution?" My brother tried to teach him to play by himself, he had no other shitty people to play against and got burned out really fast. It is extremely frustrating to watch someone playing Starcraft without the mouse, doing everything incredibly slow, and doing shit that makes no sense, but keep in mind if you just yell at people to try to play like you they not only won't be able to do it but will just get really frustrated and want to give up.

My roommate who is now at least decent (still d- on iccup but like 70apm) had one of his friends play the computer, he yelled at him a bunch and told him exactly what to try doing, got really frustrated that he was so slow, and lost twice to the computer. He was so fucking slow; it looked like maybe 20apm, and after two games he said "I don't think I can play this without being on speed... I'm exhausted for now." Keep in mind how fast it seems to a new player and how unreasonable it is to expect them to keep making workers while going up a techtree they don't understand while using hotkeys they don't know yet, etc. etc.
Foreplay
Profile Joined May 2008
United States1154 Posts
February 24 2009 07:04 GMT
#19
I have a few friends that like starcraft but i they don't really understand the game and i find it hard to explain it to them so i gave up.

The other day at a party somehow SC got mentioned and i ended up going on a really passionate drunken rant about how awesome SC is to some guy who seemed interested and wanted to watch me play so i got on my friends laptop and played a 1v1 on west and just drunkenly ranted about what i was doing but he had no idea what i was talking about. I think the entire game i just went on and on about how much of a noob my opponent was for building cannons before nexus after scouting my 12 hatch.....moral of the story is, drunk people are more open to starcraft. Try getting your friends drunk first
Better than Pokebunny
Tsagacity
Profile Blog Joined August 2005
United States2124 Posts
Last Edited: 2009-02-24 07:58:14
February 24 2009 07:56 GMT
#20
On February 24 2009 15:55 systranerror wrote:
He was so fucking slow; it looked like maybe 20apm, and after two games he said "I don't think I can play this without being on speed... I'm exhausted for now." Keep in mind how fast it seems to a new player and how unreasonable it is to expect them to keep making workers while going up a techtree they don't understand while using hotkeys they don't know yet, etc. etc.


My older brother was a lot more receptive to experimenting with BW when we played at slower speeds. I had totally forgotten SC even had speed options but since then I've been using it with a few friends. It helps to teach them the concepts and a few strategies slowly. Once they can decently execute a strategy at lower speeds, you can slowly raise the speed and force them to execute their strategies faster reach time.

Of course the downside to teaching them this way is that most of us will go nuts if we try to play along with them at these speeds


When I first started SC, I only mostly played compstomps and with RL friends, and I think I played at normal speed for at least two years. I didn't know about the speed changes then either, and one day my friend switched it to fastest to mess around and I was like "OMG WTF?!?" I freaked out and we remade the game on normal speed.

Come to think of it, I don't know when/how I adapted to playing at fastest speed.
"Everyone worse than me at video games is a noob. Everyone better than me doesn't have a life."
1 2 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
AI Arena Tournament
02:00
Swiss - Round 4
Laughngamez YouTube
FEL
01:00
ScienceCraft Qualifier
IndyStarCraft 244
Liquipedia
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
IndyStarCraft 244
BRAT_OK 67
MindelVK 12
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 27206
Mini 446
Hyuk 244
firebathero 181
ggaemo 120
Liquid`Ret 66
Mong 53
Hyun 40
PianO 26
ToSsGirL 23
[ Show more ]
Bale 9
Dota 2
Gorgc9658
Heroes of the Storm
Khaldor1341
crisheroes1239
Liquid`Hasu750
Other Games
Grubby2825
FrodaN2148
fl0m1213
Beastyqt1092
Mlord419
KnowMe152
Livibee152
ArmadaUGS134
Mew2King57
Trikslyr47
ToD37
mouzStarbuck25
CosmosSc2 18
Chillindude15
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick981
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream41
[ Show 17 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• printf 60
• StrangeGG 56
• mYiSmile121
• Adnapsc2 14
• LUISG 8
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• C_a_k_e 7466
Other Games
• imaqtpie467
• Shiphtur306
• WagamamaTV233
Upcoming Events
BSL: Ladder Tournament
1h 13m
Sparkling Tuna Cup
16h 13m
INu's Battles
18h 13m
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
Shopify Rebellion Sundays
21h 13m
MilkiCow vs TBD
Clem vs TBD
BSL Open Qualifier
1d 1h
BSL Open Qualifier
1d 1h
Replay Cast
1d 6h
Afreeca Starleague
1d 16h
Rush vs Light
WardiTV Weekly
1d 17h
Monday Night Weeklies
1d 22h
[ Show More ]
Afreeca Starleague
2 days
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
2 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
3 days
The PondCast
4 days
INu's Battles
4 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-10-02
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
Copium Cup
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.