• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 00:04
CEST 06:04
KST 13:04
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)75Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4) SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup Back to SC2 after 14 years - Protoss CTRL groups?
Tourneys
ISSL (IntoTheTV x SOOP SC2 League): Premier Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond)
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
20-year-old Valorant player starting StarCraft Sagi.gg Launcher Released Bot on ladder BGH Auto Balance -> http://bghmmr.eu/ Fantasy returning?
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers
Other Games
General Games
General RTS Discussion Thread Nintendo Switch Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Dating: How's your luck? Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 6864 users

Interview of GoRush - Family is all my reasons.

Forum Index > BW General
Post a Reply
1 2 3 4 Next All
Emlary
Profile Blog Joined December 2002
China3334 Posts
Last Edited: 2005-03-14 13:55:18
March 14 2005 13:51 GMT
#1
Victory is everything, even if it means to faint during a match.

Foreword

"The Magician of Game Control" (hopefully you know what I mean), GoRush (Team GO), has finally climbed up to the top since the NHN OSL.

He does not have superb micro, nor jaw-dropping timing, but when it comes to the control of the pace of the game and the distribution of resources, Rush can always win the fans' hearts.

His most amazing accomplishment recently is defeating the genius Terran – NaDa (P&C) in the MSL Final. Also, he placed third in the IOPS OSL and Second in the KT-KTF League.
He has managed to be top four in all of the major events.

"How come I've never heard of this player before?" This question is frequently asked by those who have recently become GoRush's fans, and they are desperate to know how he manages to increase his fan-count seemingly endlessly. None of us really know what GoRush is really like - when interviewed, he is sometimes arrogant, sometimes polite; during the last Star League, he blatantly pointed out the mistakes made by the host (someone might want to elaborate on this). Before Team GO left for Thailand, I met GoRush, he smiled at me and said “Try to make me appear nice to the public".


Gaming as a Profession

It was 2001, when he was in Grade 10 (first year in high school), GoRush got his Plaque/Recognition Form from the Korean E-Sport Organization.

Actually, his gaming career started in year 2000. At that time, he practised with TheMarine, and his progression in Starcraft was astonishing.

"I wasn't that good in the beginning, but after six months, I suddenly felt that I was getting much better, I don't even know how that happened." After this sudden improvement, in his Grade 9 year, GoRush won many Starcraft competitions that were held by local Cafés. The most significant accomplishment was the one that was held by "Southern River" (some Korean name), where he defeated FreeMura, IntotheRain, VGundam, and Slayer_Boxer. Finally, he lost to [z-zone]Byun (currently the coach for Plus) and placed second. "It was that time, my coach asked me to join the team, and that's when I started my progaming career."


Retirement after the first victory of WCGC

After joining a proteam, GoRush's improvement was frightening. After allocating his practice Café, he wanted to give up his education because it was nearly impossible to be a student and a progamer at the same time. GoRush was indulged in the game, he finally gave up school. However, he won the WCGC that year and gained a lot of publicity.

"I almost got kicked out of the team because I gave up school. The financial manager told me: A gamer who gives up his education is not what we need, if you are really that confident (as in, to succeed in life without education), then prove it to me. I didn't want to bow down to him, so I practised over 50 games everyday, and finally won the WCGC."


Arduous decision: Going back to school

GoRush's suffering began at this time. Although he got sufficient encouragement from his parents to be a progamer, he wanted to go back to school. "School is an important part of growing up; I always felt that I was missing something inside. In the street, every time I saw students wearing school uniforms, I cried a little (actual translation: feeling exited in a negative way)." To prevent myself from regretting for the rest of my life, I made my decision. As well, his former school teachers and students further caused him wanting to return the school (meaning to be united with them). With the help of a teacher who collected every news detail about GoRush, GoRush finally returned to school.

Although he was one of the brightest new starts, GoRush resolutely and determinedly gave up gaming. "It felt great returning to school and spending time with my classmates. A lot of students who desire to become progamers give up their education to play the game, and I don't think that's a good idea. You cannot go back in time, and it is not worth it to give up life for an impulsive desire/goal.


Goal - Star League

Finishing 2-year high school study, GoRush came back to gaming in 2003. During his school days, he made every minutes of his spare time playing SC. Thus he caught up with progaming in a short time relatively, and the 1st major tournament he took was NHN OSL. He grew up very quickly, just awesome to everyone.

He said: In fact it's really tough for me to resume the seat. It's said that after the military service, one should retire from progaming. But my case was that though I left progaming for school two years, all I care for was nothing but SC.

Restarting his career in progaming, GoRush devoted all his live into games, he practised more than any others.

"I wanted to practise more and catch up with others, but things didn't work out like that." he said.

However, failure is the mother of success. "When I came up to the tournaments, I told myself, well, my winning ratio was less than 10%, why not just enjoy the games, no matter loss or victory? I lost tons of battles during the practice, but I made it in tournaments! Losing a lot in practice, I wasn't afraid of loss any more, so without any tension I could do better in real battles."


Never Stop Stepping Forward

Despite getting kicked out in the frist round several times, GoRush proved himself as one of the best gamers nowadays through Golf MSL, 2nd KT-KTF and IOPS OSL. People often remarked that his games were boring. But GoRush himself never minded. He was such emotional, cheering for his victories or getting angry for his losses. Some complained his arrogance in interviews, while he was careless about that and he aimed at the higher target.

He said: I'm not arrogant, maybe it seems like so. Because comparing to other gamers, I'm not very nervous in games; and I'm not a quick-tempered person. But I can't bear any defeat, even burst out anger, complaining people around me.


To Parents

All of his achievement is attributed to his parents. A kid without any life goal, what makes him so devoted into progaming is his family.

He said: well, I had never told anybody before, my parents are all the reasons of my hard working.

GoRush's family isn't rich. The cruelty of life wakes him up from his immature ideal, leading himto the direction he heads for.

He said: at that time the champ of WCGC was all I had, but one year ago I perceived my family wouldn't live a standard life if I didn't work hard.

Realizing that his parents put all their hope on him, GoRush roused up. He changed.

"I can't idle away the hours. Provided I just ended my career with a WCGC champ, what should I do? No, I can't!"

He was bent on dedicating himself into games, and he refused to be what others were. What he wanted were more practice.

"My parents taught me that victory is everything, even if it means to faint during a match."



Dad & Mum, the biggest fans of mine

"My father is a typical Korean, conservative, taciturn and testy. He used to be wrathful when hearing his son was going to be a progamer. That's true, I've experienced all these things which a progamer came across."(laughs)

He was caught by his father in the pc bang and beaten badly several times. However, his father changes his mind when GoRush did some achievement in some important tournaments. Now, his parents become his biggest fans.

"Dad knows far more than I know, let alone these matchups, he could illustrate everyting in games in detail. Now when I go home, there's no break for me to say something, he is talking talking and talking. Once he told me that I ought to train scrouges, OMG, I had nothing to respond."(laughs)


from www.fighterforum.com
and second translated from the Chinese version in www.playsc.com

Cambium did the first half(big thanks ) and I did the rest from "Goal - Star League", when gorush began kicking ass, so I own! hahaha...
No more SKT1, it's SKP2.
ihatett
Profile Joined January 2005
United States2289 Posts
March 14 2005 13:57 GMT
#2
Nice information there!

Let's hope he never faints on stage...

Nah, he wouldn't do that.
I love Protoss because it is tough and straight. Protoss is the race for men.
Chris307
Profile Joined June 2004
3095 Posts
March 14 2005 14:06 GMT
#3
Great read, thanks for the translation.

I'm becoming a bigger and bigger fan of GoRush these days.

And everybody please refrain from commenting on the bit about physical abuse. It's just a cultural difference.
PUSH DICE CUP BACK AND I SHOOT CRAP
nortydog
Profile Joined December 2003
Australia3067 Posts
March 14 2005 14:25 GMT
#4
After watching GoRush in the All-Star exhibition matches I think hes gonna go far.
Thanks for the translation.
NoCleanFeed.com
danmooj1
Profile Blog Joined November 2004
United States1855 Posts
March 14 2005 14:26 GMT
#5
On March 14 2005 23:06 Chris307 wrote:

I'm becoming a bigger and bigger fan of GoRush these days.
.


yeah same here

great translating!
#1 XellOs fan!
Caution
Profile Joined September 2004
2059 Posts
March 14 2005 15:14 GMT
#6
awesoem translation and a great read he didn't seem arrogant at all :D
red.venom
Profile Joined October 2002
United States4651 Posts
March 14 2005 15:20 GMT
#7
Hah. His dad talks about Starcraft to him now TT Funny
Broom
Manifesto7
Profile Blog Joined November 2002
Osaka27178 Posts
March 14 2005 15:21 GMT
#8
Thanks a lot Cambium, and of course Emlary.. you're the best
ModeratorGodfather
Lexus-Bug
Profile Joined January 2005
Vietnam104 Posts
March 14 2005 15:38 GMT
#9
sounds like an awesome dude
-_-
jacen
Profile Blog Joined April 2004
Austria3644 Posts
March 14 2005 15:39 GMT
#10
<3 emlary
!
(micronesia) lol we aren't going to just permban you (micronesia) "we" excludes Jinro
mrmin123 *
Profile Blog Joined January 2004
Korea (South)2971 Posts
March 14 2005 15:48 GMT
#11
great interview & translation.
Translator태양은 묘지위에 붉게 떠오르고 / 한낮에 찌는 더위는 나의 시련 일찌라!
RowdierBob
Profile Blog Joined May 2003
Australia13528 Posts
March 14 2005 15:49 GMT
#12
He was caught by his father in the pc bang and beaten badly several times. However, his father changes his mind when GoRush did some achievement in some important tournaments. Now, his parents become his biggest fans.


Psycho dad :O
"Terrans are pretty much space-Australians" - H
ManaBlue
Profile Blog Joined July 2004
Canada10458 Posts
March 14 2005 15:54 GMT
#13
It's detailed enough to be his official biography. Some cool info in there. Nice job Cam and Em!
ModeratorTL VOD legends: Live2Win, hasuprotoss, Cadical, rinizim, Mani, thedeadhaji, Kennigit, SonuvBob, yakii, fw, pheer, CDRdude, pholon, Uraeus, zatic, baezzi. The contributors make this site what it is. *Props to FakeSteve for respecting the guitar gods*
mcmascote
Profile Joined September 2004
Brazil1575 Posts
March 14 2005 16:03 GMT
#14
thx man
great translation and interview
The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities.
tfeign
Profile Joined June 2004
United States2980 Posts
March 14 2005 16:16 GMT
#15
In asia, a parents can mistreat a child all they want. The child will grow up and never have anything but good words to say for his parents.

Over here, the child would have grown up and say how he grew up with such a shitty family, with a father who always tried to hinder him from reaching his dreams, and how he is so glad that he's now proven him wrong.
PoP
Profile Blog Joined October 2002
France15446 Posts
Last Edited: 2005-03-14 16:21:37
March 14 2005 16:21 GMT
#16
Quote:
He does not have superb micro, nor jaw-dropping timing


Weelll, ermm, yes, he does.

Very nice stuff anyway, thanks to Emlary/Cambium.
Administrator
SnZ
Profile Joined September 2004
Australia122 Posts
March 14 2005 16:42 GMT
#17
On March 15 2005 01:16 tfeign wrote:
In asia, a parents can mistreat a child all they want. The child will grow up and never have anything but good words to say for his parents.

Over here, the child would have grown up and say how he grew up with such a shitty family, with a father who always tried to hinder him from reaching his dreams, and how he is so glad that he's now proven him wrong.


The word "mistreat" seems out of place. It's called discipline. Most cultures value family as the most important thing in life. And parents do what they do to give thier children the best path in life...

Then you have the parents that take it too far and end up using thier children as punching bags. This is what you call mistreating children..

Other than that, nice read great job guys.
Member of the International Sarcasm Society.
HiFi
Profile Joined February 2004
United States518 Posts
Last Edited: 2005-03-14 16:48:10
March 14 2005 16:47 GMT
#18
great stuff, i'll watch every GoRush's VODs from now on.

I'm not very nervous in games; and I'm not a quick-tempered person. But I can't bear any defeat

remember when gorush lost to nada in game 5, he spitted out his frustration and his tongue was tasting the bitterness. you don't see much of gorush's emotion in game or in life, but you'll see it when he loses a match. interesting person.

EDIT: game 5 of IOPS, go watch the vod, it's fun.
dont spam ya apm, no good 4 ya health
GG15-Style
Profile Joined September 2004
Panama593 Posts
March 14 2005 16:48 GMT
#19
gorush is da man
[GG]=best team ever
Teddy
Profile Joined March 2005
China31 Posts
March 14 2005 17:36 GMT
#20
thx,emlary,good information!

i hope GR could keep his best shape and get a champion(MBL or OSL) to reward his parents for their great supporting.
Play for fun or play to win?
1 2 3 4 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
PiGosaur Cup
09:00
#102
Liquipedia
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
WinterStarcraft403
RuFF_SC2 196
ViBE111
Nina 80
StarCraft: Brood War
Rain 3694
GuemChi 1072
Leta 110
Terrorterran 82
Bale 34
NaDa 32
Dota 2
febbydoto8
Counter-Strike
taco 434
Super Smash Bros
hungrybox1050
Mew2King44
Other Games
summit1g7304
JimRising 601
C9.Mang0290
Trikslyr35
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick713
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream27
[ Show 16 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Hupsaiya 98
• Letter148
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• Pr0nogo 9
• Azhi_Dahaki4
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• lizZardDota266
League of Legends
• Lourlo1175
• Stunt325
Other Games
• Shiphtur508
Upcoming Events
Patches Events
11h 57m
The PondCast
1d 5h
INu's Battles
1d 6h
Percival vs SHIN
Zoun vs herO
OSC
1d 18h
Replay Cast
1d 18h
OSC
2 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
3 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
4 days
Patches Events
4 days
BSL Open Qualifier
4 days
[ Show More ]
BSL Open Qualifier
4 days
WardiTV Weekly
6 days
PiGosaur Cup
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
HCC Season 3
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.